Spring into May Whole 30!

bronnyd

Day 2 is in the books. I had been trying to clean up my eating for about a month prior, so I'm feeling better than expected although I can FEEL the sugar dragon. Ugh.

M1: roasted brussel sprouts/mushrooms with 2 eggs over easy.

M2: 2 boiled eggs, 1 pint gingered silken zucchini soup.

M3: chocolate chili...modified by adding mushrooms, peppers and celery.

I avoided a sugar dragon moment, was crazy...I knew I wasn't hungry, but while shopping and seeing my "old foods" there was a very physical response. Mouth watering, shaky feeling. Unbelievable how strong it was.

Ready for tomorrow!

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anewme...I'm reading the Whole30 book and I am about giddy with excitement as so much of it speaks to me and where I am at right now. The testimonials give me hope and something to look forward to. I have pages marked so I can go to them when I need to refer back, or need inspiration...do you have the book?

anewme...I'm reading the Whole30 book and I am about giddy with excitement as so much of it speaks to me and where I am at right now. The testimonials give me hope and something to look forward to. I have pages marked so I can go to them when I need to refer back, or need inspiration...do you have the book?

I bought the book " the whole 30" on Amazon per your suggestion- I should receive it monday.

I also plan start Monday the 4 th ... Last glass of wine tonight. otherewise cooking up a storm today. I also have "it starts with food" on audio that I can re- listen to. I also put my fit bit back on and am trying to do 10,000 steps per day

Any more suggestions for motivation.., please keep them coming

Yes! Starting tomorrow, May 1st. My birthday is May 31st so giving myself a month-long present. I have been eating this way on and off for the past couple months but ready to stick with it for 30 days to really see and feel the difference. Sugar is my biggest problem but I know that starving that dragon is the way to go. SO happy to be starting with a group, have fun everybody!

My birthday is also the 31st! I am starting on the forth... I already eat mostly whoe 30 but have to give up the wine. I also ate a few cookies at work this week and they made me feel awful. I am excited to get back to feeling good and may give up the coffe as well to see if I can fall asleep easier. Good luck!

Day 3 almost over for me now.

Yesterday was actually pretty tough. Started out with my morning run and was really tired, had a headache, and struggled all the way. When I came back home, I accidentally tipped over my water glass and in the process of trying to catch it ended up with a nasty cut in my hand. Proceeded to yell at husband and slam the nearest door in the ugliest drama queen way... And I'm normally always super mellow :huh:

So .. talk about feeling hung-over, tired AND already at the "kill ALL things stage"! Ugh. Nasty.

Fortunately, feeling a lot better today, haven't killed anybody, and no major injuries so far.

M1: Fried mushrooms/asparagus/celery + two sunny side up eggs

M2: Mixed baby leaves, cherry tomatoes and a piece of fried salmon. Olive oil + balsamic vinegar

M3: Minced chicken with plenty of garlic and a slice of free-range bacon + a huge portion of stir-fried red cabbage with a little lemon juice on top

My goals this time round (this is my second whole30 - the first one was way back in 2013 ;-)):

1) Sleep! In bed before 22 at least 5 days out of 7 each week (will be really hard for me but I know it is so worthwhile)

2) Run 30 minutes every second day or something equivalent.

3) Get started on using my foam roller and make it a habit at least once a week (for some reason all my muscles are aching, so perhaps that will help while cleaning my eating habits up as well)

These were the first three goals I could think up the day before I started out. I plan on making a list of 15-20 activities that could be fun/useful/healthy to perform during this whole30.

I hope everybody is doing well and has had a great start on their whole30!

I am starting tomorrow. I am also going to run as well.. The good weather is finally here. I ordered a book by Jeff Galloway called the galloway method where he dies intervals.

I did the couch to 5k but it increases to quickly for me so a frien recommended this. Tell me how you do so we can motivate one another!

Good morning !! Everyone is doing well! Yesterday went well,

M1...eggs, mixed greens, 1/2 grapefruit,coffe, coconut milk.

M2....romaine lettuce, sliced roast beef, homemade mayo, 1/2 cup strawberries

M3.....turkey cutlet, potato, green beans.

I did an upper body workout. I brought my workout dvd and resistant band with me

Have a great day, my vacation is over and heading home today.

Today is my 3rd day, I started May 1st.  I feel horrible.  I couldn't sleep last night, as I coughed all night. It is allergy related. Seems worse. I read the timelines and so  I  seem to be on track.  I am very motivated.  I was wondering what the meaning of BIG D  and AIP, and SIPO in postings.

Today is my 3rd day, I started May 1st. I feel horrible. I couldn't sleep last night, as I coughed all night. It is allergy related. Seems worse. I read the timelines and so I seem to be on track. I am very motivated. I was wondering what the meaning of BIG D and AIP, and SIPO in postings.

I think "Big D" is ladyshanny's slang for diarrhea.

AIP = auto-immune protocol

SIBO = small intestine bacteria overgrowth: http://www.webmd.boots.com/digestive-disorders/small-intestinal-bacteria-sibo

SWYPO = Sex With Your Pants On. http://whole30.com/2014/10/sex-pants/

Hi to all!

I'm at day 3 and since the morning I'm experiencing diarrhea... I lost count of home many times I went to the toilet already (and it's 7pm).

After reading some entries in the forums I suspect it has to do with the cashew nuts and almonds I ate yesterday in my third meal, because my stomach started feeling weird in the early morning, just after I prepared an amazing salad for breakfast (with hardboiled egg included) that I couldn't even look at after my first visit to the toilet. During the morning I could only eat two small bananas, I had no apettite for anything else.

For meal 2 I ate a bit of chicken (around 1/4 of a chicken breast) that I made at the pan with some olive oil, half an onion and half a carrot (both shreded).

For meal 3 I'm planning to eat some boiled sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt and rosmary, but I'm afraid to eat anything else.

Any help out there??

Howdy all

Have to say, I'm sleeping GR8 since I started W30 - I do believe it's cuz my my diet is minus wine/sugar/dairy/grain. 

Today's meals are almost same as yest. Fine with me as they are tasty. 

M1 3 prosciutto egg cups and weekly Americano with coconut oil (yum)

M2 1 cup choco chili with kale, glass homemade kombucha over ice

M3 leftover salmon or chicken with roasted radishes

And OMG booksandcoffee - I'm there with the sunshine sauce. Going to make some tonight for my chicken for lunches.

Stay true! xoxb

Hi to all!

I'm at day 3 and since the morning I'm experiencing diarrhea... I lost count of home many times I went to the toilet already (and it's 7pm).

After reading some entries in the forums I suspect it has to do with the cashew nuts and almonds I ate yesterday .........

Any help out there??

HI Aia

Cashews and almonds give me diarrhea too. Esp. cashews. If I buy raw and roast them myself my gut likes them a bit better, but bec my gut is compromised right now (SIBO, leaky gut, IBS) I'm staying away from all nuts this time around. I had diarrhea for much of my first W30 but now I feel tons better and my poops are pretty much back to normal. Keep on, it gets easier.

• Moderators

Hi to all!

After reading some entries in the forums I suspect it has to do with the cashew nuts and almonds I ate yesterday in my third meal, because my stomach started feeling weird in the early morning, just after I prepared an amazing salad for breakfast (with hardboiled egg included) that I couldn't even look at after my first visit to the toilet. During the morning I could only eat two small bananas, I had no apettite for anything else.

For meal 2 I ate a bit of chicken (around 1/4 of a chicken breast) that I made at the pan with some olive oil, half an onion and half a carrot (both shreded).

For meal 3 I'm planning to eat some boiled sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt and rosmary, but I'm afraid to eat anything else.

Any help out there??

If you have broth, that will probably help you feel better -- you can just drink it, or if you feel like your tummy could handle it, bring it to a boil and throw in a beaten egg to make egg drop soup so you'd have a little extra protein. 

Make sure you're getting plenty of water. If you have any ginger tea or peppermint tea, those sometimes help with tummy issues. 

If you need to take something like Imodium, that is allowed -- we don't want you to be miserable, and we don't want you to end up dehydrated or anything.

bronnyd: Definitely cashews and other nuts are out from my diet for a while... Thanks for sharing your experience!

ShannonM816: I don't have broth at the moment, but thanks for the tips! I've been trying to drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration and I'll have a ginger tea in a while, I hope it helps.

I remembered I have some Kuzu root powder I can rely on for a natural way to combat diarrhea. But I have a question regarding this... the plant is officially a legume, so I guess it's non compliant??

Thanks so much to both! It's GREAT to get timely support in the Forums! :)

I am starting tomorrow. I am also going to run as well.. The good weather is finally here. I ordered a book by Jeff Galloway called the galloway method where he dies intervals.

I did the couch to 5k but it increases to quickly for me so a frien recommended this. Tell me how you do so we can motivate one another!

Anewme: I am currently using the free app "Runkeeper" beginner program for 5K. I have previously tried "endomondo" but at some point I just got super competitive (against myself! Silly, I know!) and ended up with an injury. So this time around I'm taking it a lot easier. I really like the runkeeper strategy. And so far the progress has been slow enough for me. I do skip a training here and there, though. Today I had to skip or postpone the training as I have been alone with the kids all weekend (I have two kids aged 3 and 9). 

My day today (day 4) has actually been really great. My daughter went over to a friends house so I've been alone with my 3 year old son. I've had a lot of energy and we cleaned my car and readied and planted my vegetable garden. I cannot remember the last time I had such a great day energy-wise. I did manage to sneak in a little nap with my son at 1 p.m. which was SO nice. I'm a huge fan of naps :-)

M1: Omelette with potato, mushrooms and a huge pile of tomato/avocado/celery salsa on top

M2: Salad with leftover ground chicken, olives and carrots

M3: Broiled Eggplant (I believe it was Brynnyd, who linked the recipe a few days back. Thank you!) with a very nice ground beef-in-tomato sauce.

Yesterday evening I finally prepared Better Butter from Well Fed 2. And I can very much recommend that. Very tasty.

Phew! Today is really hard. I'm hungry!! It feels like I am eating A LOT and get hungry again about 3-4 hours after what seems like a huge meal. 

Today

M1: Got up at 4:30 to volunteer at a marathon, breakfast at 5:30 of packed fritatta, 1/2 sweet potato, green beans and ground beef. 

Mid morning snack of carrots, snap peas and prosciutto. 

M2: Big portion of chocolate chili, 1/2 sweet potato, more green beans, fried plantains. 

Mid afternoon snack (Again!) carrots, snap peas and avocado oil mayo. 

M3 will be eggplant with chocolate chili. 

The protein portions are at least the size of my palm, and maybe a bit larger. I feel like I am getting enough fat in every meal. Why am I so hungry? Maybe it is the day 3 fatigue? It is actually difficult to tease out if these are cravings or true hunger.. though I am not craving sweets, rather fatty / protein full foods. I had not felt the need to snack until today. 

This weekend has been busier than the last three weeks put together.  Today my 3 kids and their significant others came to clean up my yard.  I made an AIP mango salsa which I could have, and for them I bought cold cuts, sandwich wraps, tortilla chips, and I made them chocolate chip cookies.  I also made them take everything out of the house when they left.  I was not tempted by any of it because I am so stoked for this W30.  I haven't had a headache, but I've had a slightly "off" stomach.  This could be in part because I haven't been eating enough.  Now that this weekend is over and I'll be back to my usual routine, I'll feel better.

Bfast - bone broth, broccoli, kale, celery, onion, jalapeno and sweet potato stir fry with 2 eggs  (I was STUFFED!)

Lunch - salmon with mango salsa

Dinner - chicken livers and onions, steamed broccoli, black olives

I checked my vitamin labels, and have to give them up for the month, including my melatonin.  I inadvertently got the sublingual Melatonin.  Bah.  It has sucralose and other icky stuff in there.  I had been swallowing it not realizing it was sublingual.  I'm so disappointed, as it was a buy-1-get-1-free.  I have had to go back to Benadryl to help me sleep.  I don't know why my body seems to be satisfied with 7.5-8 hours of sleep.  Usually I feel best with 8.5 hours.  I don't know if it's the morning sunlight or what, but I can't seem to sleep late anymore.  My problem is getting to bed before 10.  It is sooo difficult for me.  And then sometimes I go to bed and lie there wide awake for an hour or more.  I'm hoping that improves over this month.  I really hate taking anything to make me sleep, but let's face it - we need those zzz's.  I placed a vitamin order online, so Calms Forte will be arriving on Tuesday.  Yay!

Day 3: CHECK!

I seem to be having an opposite problem to those with diarrhea.  Last night before bed I had a cup of herbal tea with Natural Calm magnesium and took an epsom salt bath, which helped "move things along" this morning. So, I felt much better today vs. yesterday.

I spent this morning in town with my son: story time at the library and then grocery shopping. Made the mistake of letting both of us get too hungry before lunchtime. And then my lunch plan was a bit thwarted when they were out of the kale salad I was counting on. The only one they had included quinoa. At any rate, I made due and then ended up having a sort of "second lunch" at about 3:30pm.

Breakfast:

3 egg scramble w/

wilted greens

small handful almonds

1/2 banana

black coffee

Lunch #1: (at the grocery store. less than ideal.)

smoked turkey slices (compliant)

almond butter packet

carrot

mango spritzer (juice & seltzer water)

Lunch #2:

leftover coconut breaded chicken thighs

salad greens

1/2 apple

olive oil

balsamic vinegar

mustard

Dinner:

salmon filet

steamed kale w/ coconut oil & salt

roasted acorn squash w/ coconut oil & cinnamon
spicy kale & cabbage kimchi

Looking forward to finally having some starchy veg in the house. My body really prefers those to fruit!

Today was a "rest day." I'll be interested to see how I feel re: my workout tomorrow morning!

Good day to all!

I wanted to let you know that I managed to control my diarrhea naturally with arrowroot powder (also named Kuzu).

I'm not a big fan of taking pills and I'm happy this worked out perfectly, plus I checked it's W30 compliant. You might want to give it a try if you ever experience diarrhea again!

Best

Wow, I had a great weekend, and a terrible weekend at the same time!  

Great - because the weather was fantastic !  I spent 2 hours each day outside walking the dog to tire him out.  It's been a long time since he's been completey tired out.  I got my excersise and i was happy.

Terrible - because my husband bought AN ENTIRE CASE of our favorite chips that we can only find once in a blue moon....hence why he bought a case.... I litterlly had my hand inside the bag of chips before I clued in to what I was doing.  And hubby just sat there and watched me do it.  GAH!

Todays meals :

M1:

2 Fried eggs

1/2 roasted sweet potato

Steamed broccoli

M2:

Tuna salad with homemade mayo

Cucumber cups

http://www.tasteslovely.com/tuna-in-cucumber-cups/

M3:

Mexican Pulled Pork

http://www.paleocupboard.com/mexican-pulled-pork-with-onions-and-peppers.html

Day 1:  New compliant smoothie not bad!  Powdered egg whites are much less expensive than Plant Fusion and deliver 1/4 C = 24 G protein. 1/2 frozen banana, 4 strawberries, 1 scoop Green Vibrance, 1 1/2 C almond milk and 1 Tbs. organic flax oil.  Filling breakfast.  1 cup of coffee with pure coconut cream...delicious.  Off to the torture chamber (aka: gym)!   :P

Day 1:  New compliant smoothie not bad!  Powdered egg whites are much less expensive than Plant Fusion and deliver 1/4 C = 24 G protein. 1/2 frozen banana, 4 strawberries, 1 scoop Green Vibrance, 1 1/2 C almond milk and 1 Tbs. organic flax oil.  Filling breakfast.  1 cup of coffee with pure coconut cream...delicious.  Off to the torture chamber (aka: gym)!   :P

Perhaps you missed my post about this on another thread? Green Vibrance is not Whole30 compliant, as it contains off plan ingredients of rice bran and fructo-oligosaccharides (sweetener).

Please consider having whole food instead for your meals.

Archived