Spring into May Whole 30!

bronnyd

Morning!!

Day 4 here! As I said, I don't get online on the weekends, but I did great. Yesterday I got the "hangover" phase so bad. Husband and I went shopping and I was so tired and heachachy and just miserable. I had to stop him and say "Can we please go home? I need to lay down" I got a black coffee and it actually kicked the headache and I was able to just sit and bed and watch some TV.

My meals have been pretty huge and filling. I've been eating 3 meals a day with no snacking..

My meal 1s this weekend were:

3-4 eggs cooked in coconut oil

sweet potato

brussel sprouts with olive oil / OR a whole avocado with fresh salsa

meal2s were pretty much:

a huge salad with olive oil (mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli, and baby spinach

an all beef patty

cooked summer squash in ghee

avocado

meal3's were

fish pan friend in ghee

2 veggies.

I am feeling pretty on track and not even thinking about bad food. I've been avoiding fruit so far just so I can get my sugar monster under control!

Today's Meal 1:

3 eggs cooked in coconut oil

a whole sweet potato with ghee

a whole avocado

fresh salsa.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning and a lovely Day 4 morning it is!!  I slept well last night, and did not want to get up at 5:45 this morning.  I'm hoping that means my body is finally demanding a little more sleep.  CHALLENGE - GET TO BED AT 9:30 AT THE LATEST!!!  I'm such a night owl and it's really hard for me to try and change my internal clock, but I have been spontaneously waking up early, so I gotta adapt. 

Bfast - my "usual" - stir fry with broccoli, celery, kale, onion, jalapeno, sweet potato with turmeric, black pepper and cayenne, 2 eggs, 2 cups of green tea
at work - 2 cups decaf with coconut oil and coconut cream

Lunch - baked delicata squash with bison filling, large salad with balsamic and olive oil, seltzer

Dinner - shredded beef in balsamic-tomato sauce,  steamed broccoli, baked sweet potato fries

I seriously LOVE sweet potatoes and I am grateful they work on the W30 and in my regular eating plan.  I could almost eat them at every meal!

Feeling absolutely great!  Want to get out for a long walk today, but it's supposed to get up to 80 degrees, which is definitely out of my comfort zone.  I prefer cool temps :D

*update:  5 mile walk after work, then another mile walking the dog.

Has anyone had to "destroy" a food before? After my nieces birthday party on Saturday my mom sent home some dessert and stuff for my husband. One was a cheesecake topping which has cool whip mixed with vanilla pudding. Another was huckleberries in a sugar syrup. All day yesterday I wanted some. I know how good it tastes mmmm. So yesterday afternoon I was tired and cranky and just wanted this dessert. I opened the lid, stuck my spoon in, put it up to my mouth and threw the container in the sink and dumped hot water in it. I knew if I threw it away, as disgusting as this sounds, I'd just dig it out. So I had to destroy it and man did that feel good!

Has anyone had to "destroy" a food before? After my nieces birthday party on Saturday my mom sent home some dessert and stuff for my husband. One was a cheesecake topping which has cool whip mixed with vanilla pudding. Another was huckleberries in a sugar syrup. All day yesterday I wanted some. I know how good it tastes mmmm. So yesterday afternoon I was tired and cranky and just wanted this dessert. I opened the lid, stuck my spoon in, put it up to my mouth and threw the container in the sink and dumped hot water in it. I knew if I threw it away, as disgusting as this sounds, I'd just dig it out. So I had to destroy it and man did that feel good!

Good for you!!! That's a tough situation.

LOL!  I thought I was the only one that did this!  My father is rolling in his grave, I just know it.  We NEVER threw food awa in our house.

But, there was a container full of leftover buttercream frosting sitting in my fridge.  I had made way too much last week, and saved the rest thinking it would be for my husband to spoon shovel into his mouth.

Every time i opened the fridge, it was staring at me, calling my name, mocking me, tempting me.  So I did what you did.  Tossed it in the sink, appologised to my father, and rinsed it away.

Been there done that!!!  Good for you!!! I am the only one in my house doing the whole 30, or even watching my sugar!!  I throw food out all the time, they don't need it either!!!  When my son was younger, after a night of Halloween, I would check his candy and start dumping it. Then each night when he went to bed, I would throw out a handful at at time, so he wouldn't notice it!!!  Stay strong!!!

It used to make me feel guilty, but after some thought.....it is not food anyway!!!  it is junk, garbage that we don't need!!!!

Hello al!!!

WHEW, the weekend is over!!! and back to normal. This is just  quick post, I see everyone is on their way, and doing well!!

M1... 3 egg salad, homemade mayo , mixed greens, coffee

M2... sliced turkey, romaine, tomato, pickle, 

M3... chicken cutlets, almond flour, olive oil, brussel sprouts.

This time around, I thought I would go a long as I can without any fruit or starchy veggies. I feel amazing however, I did not lose any wight the last round. I want to see if this helps get things rolling. I don't have much of a sugar dragon, but I was eating 2 servings of fruit a day. I did it for their vitamin content. If the weight starts dropping , then I will add some back here and there!!! Have an active and healthy day, Debbie

Workout: lower body weight training and cardio on my skiers edge machine

Hi, all! I started my W30 on May 1, and I am so glad to find a community of others who have done the same. For those of you who have completed a W30 in the past, can you give some guidance in terms of what to expect mood-wise during this process? It's Day 4, and I don't physically crave any of the illegal foods, but I am generally mad at the world today haha! Any recommendations for a really filling and sustaining breakfast would also be great! Thanks! 

• Administrators

Hi, all! I started my W30 on May 1, and I am so glad to find a community of others who have done the same. For those of you who have completed a W30 in the past, can you give some guidance in terms of what to expect mood-wise during this process? It's Day 4, and I don't physically crave any of the illegal foods, but I am generally mad at the world today haha! Any recommendations for a really filling and sustaining breakfast would also be great! Thanks! 

General world angriness is pretty common.  Check out our Timeline linked in my signature below.  

You can check our meal template also linked below for how to configure your meals including breakfast.  If you are going to eat eggs as your protein, the serving size is as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping, usually at least 3-4.  A lot of people (myself included) add a cooked animal protein to a smaller number of eggs for greater satiety.  You can experiment.  Make sure you are including the fat portion and the veggie portion also and tweak as you go so that you get a run of approximately 4-5 hours.

y'know one of the best pros about doing a W30 and being on this forum are the awesome recipe ideas we share! Poukiebear's tuna in cucumber cups - damn, I'm getting cukes next time I go grocery shopping. 

also lol with angincanada's destruction of dessert - YAY Angin! Good for you!! That sounds tough.

I'm feeling really good this day 4. 

M1 was again two prosciutto egg cups and some fried bacon, green tea

M2 will be chocochili  (am loving it) with kale thrown in 

M3 chicken, broccoli and mashed celery root

Super weird weekend but I made it through. Busy Sat. out and about with the kids. Came home by 2 and was completely exhausted. Forgot how much I need sweet potato or carrot mid day. Made all the difference. Sunday I came home after church, ate and slept for like 5 hours. Guess I needed it! More normal this cool Monday morning:

• M1 3 eggs scrambled, sauteed power greens, small avocado1/3 apple, espresso with cinammon, a few pecans---Power Class 16oz water
  • M2 Mongolian Grill lunch date Yay!
  • M3 Roasted Bone in Chicken Breast, Brussel's Sprouts/Kale/Cabbage Slaw sauteed in red palm oil, kalamata olives & applesauce

Husband had to force me to workout but I'm happy he did. Sugar dragon hasn't been too bad yet, even made it through an ice cream weekend without hurting someone. My husband is finishing it off as I type this, the brat lol. Happy Monday everyone!

EPIC FAIL!!!  Ate a salad with TJ's smoked trout for lunch.  After lunch I'm putting the package away and read that it contains cane sugar!!!!!!  Agggggh!  Didn't read the label just assumed.  I never use sugar when I smoke meat & fish!!  Their smoked salmon is safe (read the ingredients). Repeat Day 1.  Better than being on day 29!  lol

EPIC FAIL!!!  Ate a salad with TJ's smoked trout for lunch.  After lunch I'm putting the package away and read that it contains cane sugar!!!!!!  Agggggh!  Didn't read the label just assumed.  I never use sugar when I smoke meat & fish!!  Their smoked salmon is safe (read the ingredients). Repeat Day 1.  Better than being on day 29!  lol

Ouch! What a bummer!

As day 4 is finishing here, these were my meals of the day:

M1:

- 1 cup of warm water with the juice of half lemon;

- 2 hardboiled eggs with tahina and a splash of lemon juice;

(no veggies since I was still fighting diarrhea).

M2:

- Salad with tomatoe, cucumber, carrot, avocado, 2 tbsp. of lemon juice, 3 tbsp. of tahina

- Chicken breast with shredded onion and carrot cooked with olive oil

Snack:

- 1 shredded apple with some lemon juice and 1 tsp. of cinnamon

M3:

- "Cauliflower hummus" (seriously delicious! Recipe here: http://livinggrainlessly.com/2013/05/27/cauliflower-hummus/)

- One tomatoe and one carrot with za'tar

- Half a chicken breast with a bit of chicken spices cooked in olive oil

I'm still adapting to the regular servings of veggies and I preferred to take it easy today in order to get rid of my diarrhea. Arrowroot powder has been my best friend and I'd recommend it to anyone experiencing diarrhea during their W30 journey!

Ready to welcome day #5!

Meal2 today was not big enough. I'm running out of precooked veggies and tried to throw something together this morning while watching my 10month old.

Meal2: huge salad (baby spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli, and olive oil

all beef patty cooked an put on top

half of a sliced cucumber

roasted pumpkin seeds

Still not sure about dinner. Hopefully some fish and some more veggies.

• Administrators

As day 4 is finishing here, these were my meals of the day:

M1:

- 1 cup of warm water with the juice of half lemon;

- 2 hardboiled eggs with tahina and a splash of lemon juice;

(no veggies since I was still fighting diarrhea).

M2:

- Salad with tomatoe, cucumber, carrot, avocado, 2 tbsp. of lemon juice, 3 tbsp. of tahina

- Chicken breast with shredded onion and carrot cooked with olive oil

Snack:

- 1 shredded apple with some lemon juice and 1 tsp. of cinnamon

M3:

- "Cauliflower hummus" (seriously delicious! Recipe here: http://livinggrainlessly.com/2013/05/27/cauliflower-hummus/)

- One tomatoe and one carrot with za'tar

- Half a chicken breast with a bit of chicken spices cooked in olive oil

I'm still adapting to the regular servings of veggies and I preferred to take it easy today in order to get rid of my diarrhea. Arrowroot powder has been my best friend and I'd recommend it to anyone experiencing diarrhea during their W30 journey!

Ready to welcome day #5!

Have you tried removing raw veggies from your meals and replacing them with cooked? Raw veggies can be a gut irritant and could be contributing to your loose stools.

Thank you ladyshanny, I love salads, especially in the morning, and it's hard for me to get rid of the raw vegetables!

I'm feeling much better now that I removed all nuts from my diet (it seems they were the trigger!) but I'll keep an eye and if the symptoms come back surely I'll remove raw veggies for a while.

• Administrators

Thank you ladyshanny, I love salads, especially in the morning, and it's hard for me to get rid of the raw vegetables!

I'm feeling much better now that I removed all nuts from my diet (it seems they were the trigger!) but I'll keep an eye and if the symptoms come back surely I'll remove raw veggies for a while.

If nuts were your trigger, beware of tahini as well then as it is seed based and can have the same result.  ;)

I bought the book " the whole 30" on Amazon per your suggestion- I should receive it monday.

I also plan start Monday the 4 th ... Last glass of wine tonight. otherewise cooking up a storm today. I also have "it starts with food" on audio that I can re- listen to. I also put my fit bit back on and am trying to do 10,000 steps per day

Any more suggestions for motivation.., please keep them coming

Anewme...I'm also using my fitbit and trying to do my 10,000 steps a day, I keep getting close but not quite there, so that is a goal for after the cruddy feeling passes the first week, to walk at night and HIT my goal.  The book is a huge help, I find myself looking at it at night, re-reading and motivating myself.  So glad you ordered it.  :)

I'm in!

Here are some of my stats:  

Next Whole30: May 1st

Weight as of 4/30/2015: 164.6 lbs

Body Fat% 36.9

Size 12 to 14 pants

Official: Height 5' 3 3/4"  but I say 5' 4"   :D

DAY 4

Love seeing everyone keeping strong, and that some folks are already starting to feel the benefits. I still have some digestive kinks to work out and I'm pretty tired (could be due to a son who still wakes at least once in the night and then is up for the day at 4:30 am -- thank goodness for my husband, the early riser!) I have noticed my mood is already better - I'm a much more patient mother, which has been my #1 inspiration for this whole thing -- and my bloating is way down! YAY!

My workout this afternoon felt STELLAR. I felt strong and connected to my body in a way that I haven't for awhile. (This is also week 3 of a recommitment to exercise, so I think I'm really starting to feel the progress I've been making.)

Anyway, here's what I ate today:

Breakfast:

3 poached eggs

salad greens

leftover acorn squash

kale/napa kimchi

olive oil

black coffee

Snack:

turkey slices rolled w/

homemade mayo

kale

hot sauce (compliant)

Lunch:

leftover salmon filet

Leftover breakfast veggies, sautéed (mixed salad greens, acorn squash)

walnuts

oven baked sw potato rounds

romesco sauce (p. 319 of The Whole 30. I prepped this to go with dinner, but it was so delicious, I couldn’t help adding some to my lunch plate!)

Post WO: 

4 hardboiled egg whites

mustard

Dinner:

romesco garlic shrimp w/

zucchini noodles (p. 244 The Whole 30 — DELICIOUS! also linked here: http://whole30.com/2015/04/romesco-shrimp/)

Ugh! I ate too much fruit today and my gut is suffering for it! I'm still in serious hang over mode and transitioning into "kill all the things". This is not my finest hour.

I'm finding I'm not very hungry, which is weird. I've had salmon, steak, eggs, chicken, veggies over the last 4 days- there is tons to eat, I'm just not feeling it. 

I got crappy sleep last night because of a family situation, so that doesn't help. 

Keep on going, people! We can do this!

I'm going to start on the 4th.  I did a Whole100 from Jan 1 to Apr 10.  I've ate mostly on plan with a few off items here and there.  I definitely notice a change in the way I feel when I eat off plan foods.  I have a family party this Sunday so I'm going to start first thing Monday eating about 90% W30 until then.

I've still got a long way to go to get a healthy relationship with food so I will probably be doing a W30 every other month or so.

I've lost 50 lbs since last August only doing W30.  I started running towards the end of my W100 which helped me drop some weight fast.  I've never been a runner but I actually love it.

Tried running a few years ago and only had one day whereby I actually enjoyed it so I quit…Just couldn’t get enough air in these lungs of mine..J  Would like to give it a try again so this time slowly easing my way into running.  Started a walking/bicycling regimen on Friday 5/1/2015 and have 3 days under my belt… Crashed bike on day two, skinned up right knee so I’m going to stick with just walking until the knee is healed and the handlebars on bicycle are back straight.  That’s what I get for not wanting to get on the brakes and taking the taking a curve a bit too fast.  Congratulations on your accomplishments and to many more.

Archived