whole30 #2

Alyson Leahy

Just finished my second whole30 on August 30th. I managed to recruit a friend at work, and we went grocery shopping together and swapped meals the entire month--I highly recommend this approach, especially for a second attempt (because the first time around, it's all shiny and new and "easy" to forget about those lattes and sandwiches...but there is something all together different about the second time around). It was so much fun to show up for work and have someone drop off a tupperware container of approved food THAT YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO COOK YOURSELF!

I feel like this whole30 was pretty successful. I made a list of goals before starting, some of which included: 1) only eat when hungry. 2) Be more creative with recipes. 3) Limit nuts. 4) Limit fruit smoothies at work (I work at a coffee shop/restaurant, and smoothies are free...they are all real fruit, but still). I definitely experimented more in the kitchen...homemade BBQ sauce with pineapple juice as the sweetener--amazing! Coleslaw without traditional mayo, homemade turkey burger red sauce with spaghetti squash "noodles," balsamic and fruit reduction salad dressings....it was FUN! I came up with this Balsamic Pear and Sweet Potato soup at work that was just heavenly. My friend invented some pretty tasty tuna cakes and eggplant lasagna, and roasted garlic aioli that made excellent chicken salad. We ate like kings for 30 days, and we plan on continuing the food sharing.

I did go easy on the nuts compared to last time, and limited smoothies to a couple of times a week. I did not see the weight loss or skin clearing that I experienced last time. Two ideas: I did such a number on my system in July (I was bingeing on ice cream and cookies left and right) that it's going to take longer to detox this time around, or I was expecting it (and therefore thinking about results too much) that I created some psychological block that didn't exist during my first whole30.

Anyway, I still feel amazing--it's crazy how fast bloating and such just disappears after eliminating certain foods! Yesterday, day 31, was mainly compliant; had an iced coffee with whole milk after my shift at work. I'd been dreaming of creamy iced coffee for 30 days, but you know what? While it tasted good, it wasn't SPECTACULAR. I didn't even finish the glass. Weird. My fiance and I then had a Mexican feast at our favorite restaurant in town--and that was spectacular :) I ate a little too much, experienced a slight discomfort because of that, but nothing terrible. I did not feel the need for a crazy dessert afterward (which would have been normal only 30 days ago) and today I started my day with some abdominal work and a microwave flax muffin with coconut butter. Just got back from my weekly walk to the farmer's market and coffee date with neighbor Julie (the walk is about a half hour there, and a half hour back all uphill).

I'm getting married next September, and part of this nutrition experimentation is tied to that; who doesn't want to look great in that white dress? But more importantly, I want to cut my psychological ties to overeating, specifically bingeing on sugar. This probably means no sugar ever again, and I think I've finally come to terms with that. But if I can eat avocados, coconut butter, nuts, bacon and some full fat dairy instead...well, maybe I can just get over it :)

Okay, long-winded post is over. Thanks to all who listened, and it's so nice to read about everyone else's experiences! Hopefully the lessons of the whole30 way of life will continue to spread and we can kick McDonald's and Doritos out of the American food chain :)

Alyson

Well done!

"Anyway, I still feel amazing--it's crazy how fast bloating and such just disappears after eliminating certain foods! Yesterday, day 31, was mainly compliant; had an iced coffee with whole milk after my shift at work. I'd been dreaming of creamy iced coffee for 30 days, but you know what? While it tasted good, it wasn't SPECTACULAR. I didn't even finish the glass. Weird."

I found the same thing after I finished my first whole30 at the end of July. The things that I thought I really missed and couldn't wait to have again were only "okay"-the garden fresh tomatoes, mozzarella & basil were just okay-nothing I have had off-road has been as good as I thought it would be. And that's cool-sure makes it easier to be compliant more often than not. The most important thing that I got out of my whole30 was a new relationship with food. I don't stress out if I eat something that isn't compliant, but I do pay attention to how I feel afterwards. Dairy definitely affects me more than I thought it did-and I haven't even had that much of it!

I'm eating compliant at least 5 days a week and on the days I'm not, it's usually just one meal that I go off-road. Even then, if I eat off-road, I don't drink and vice-versa. (except for that one meal a few weekends ago that was over the top off-road!) :P

Congratulations on your success! Thanks for the insight into what a second whole30 might look like!

Derval--thanks! I hope so....went to a wedding yesterday and they had a candy bar at the reception; glass jars full of M&M's, Reeces Pieces, mini Snickers bars...ahhhh! But I resisted. They also had cashews and pistachios, so I snacked on those instead. I started the evening with seltzer water and lime, and wasn't tempted to switch to alcohol. I did eat some mashed potatoes with butter (they were homemade), ham (which probably had sugar) and some beef in gravy (that probably included some flour) but passed on the sugary coleslaw, boring steamed corn and dinner rolls. And of course I skipped the cake!

Colleen--glad to hear I'm not the only crazy one :) It's strange, because part of me is actually kind of sad that those foods don't taste as yummy. And the other part totally agrees with your comment that it will be easier to stay whole30 compliant most of the time.

Archived