trying to decide when to start

cmgonzalez2

Hello!!

A girl that I know did The Whole 30 and I have been wanting to try it ever since!  I have not read the book though.  Do you think it is better to read the book before beginning the program or just following the rules and jumping in?  I am A college student and I have exams this week and they end May 1st.  I thought May 1st would be a great start date.. Any advice/thoughts are much appreciated! 

No need to read the book first, everything you need is on the website. I think post-exams is a great time to start: you worked your brain hard, and then you can reward your body with a fresh healthy perspective.

Provided you read the rules, familiarize yourself with the can haves & can nots, & pay attention to the recommended food templates I'd say 1st May is as good a time as any. The forum here is great for support and advice, and you can always get the book in the meantime and read it throughout the course of your whole30 to understand where the program is coming from....

Regarding reading the book, I think it depends on your personality. Personally, understanding the science and the "whys" in It Starts with Food really helped motivate me (not sure if you're referring to that book or the new one that just came out this week, which I haven't read). Some people just want the rules, and do fine with the information on the web site (and there is plenty).

I'd probably give yourself a day or two to recover from your last exam before jumping right in, just to go grocery shopping and cook and that kind of thing. But if you've got a good handle on that, it sounds like a good plan!

• Moderators

As everyone has said, you can definitely do a Whole30 without reading either of the books. Just for ease of reference, here's the program rules, the Can I Have list that addresses many common questions about what foods are or aren't allowed, and the Meal Template that we recommend following to get the best results from your Whole30.

Archived