Starting again - making peace with food

lcs75

Good morning Day 0 :)

Looking back at yesterday and the build up to last night. I had a great food day with an enjoyable brekkie - without ground beef and a lekker lunch with roast, potato and veg. Loved the colour and the individuality of the food and textures. Learnt that bolied baby potatoes with fresh avocado tastes just like / or better than baby potatoes with butter. So that is a winner!

I was still hungry after lunch and thought it might be thirst so I started drinking a bit, but I don't think I ate or drank enough. That is probably why I am sticking to one meal template for a while, once I get it right. I was very tired from 2pm on, my back just had enough, the day after a treatment is normally not that easy. So work started to get an effort. Then I left work and had to do run some errants, and I felt how exhausted I was getting, even thought about getting a freshly squeezed juice or one of them yummy paleo bars I found the other day - but ... I "kept strong". That was probably the mistake, I should have "given in" - now let's rephrase that to "listened to my body" when it clearly started to tell me, hey, you're over the limit with your activity and hey; you did not feed + water me enough". But I didn't and on the way home (I have a 45min drive) I was more thirsty, achy and hungry and that is when I started slipping into an old habit...

It is hard to listen to my body, when I am upset (with my body) and I know this sounds weird, but I think that "split" between my brain and my body is half the problem. I sometimes wonder, why I think about my body, as my body, it is me, it is not my car, the MOT is not due...

I am still a bit shaken, but I am looking forward to today. I have some awesome friends who agreed to do this tri with me and I told them last night, that I will walk the run leg. I am looking forward to feel the atmosphere and it is going to be a gorgeous day. Then I will watch my little run mates (my friends 3 daughters) do their first ever kids tri and that will make me smile for the rest of the day. I enjoy spending more time with friends and kids (way better than playing chess, although I have started that again - if only my physio knew that I am actually starting his activity suggestions lol). I enjoy being outside and I love walking barefoot. There is a lot of good that comes with the bad.

I take it one day at a time :) Have a great day xox

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all for your support :)

I had a great day today, not so much food wise, but I just cast that aside today. I had an awesome time at my team tri, we laughed so much and I walked and ran and walked and took all my energy to cheer on people on the run - I had heaps of energy, as I only had to do the run leg, and was just happy to be there :) The little girls did great as well and it was good to see the fire starting in their eyes - they had a great race!

I will have a rest and come back to Whole 30 soon, when I am ready to go again. xox

Hello,

at the moment I feel just empty and tired. I have not ate well most of the day and I am just feeling fatigued and demotivated. I wonder how much my mood is dependent on the way I eat. I did a little walk in the sunshine today, but that only lifted my mood slightly.

Not sure when I will continue Whole 30, I will keep checking in until I am ready again.

Cheerio x

Good morning :)

Today will be a better day. I will only losely follow Whole 30 and see how I go. There is so much good in the program, only the rigidity gives me trouble. I went off plan all weekend and I am not proud of it, but it shows me, that I still rebel against strict programs. Most time I felt like, let's eat, because tomorrow you cannot eat again. No thinking about what is good for my body... I am getting help today as well and hopefully the brain fog will lift a little then.

Have a great day x

Quick update. I have seen a nutritionist and have started a low fodmap diet to figure out what is actually going on. Have to reintroduce a little gluten and lactose free dairy during that time. I will work with him until I know ehat is going on - as I have noticed that I actually eat large amounts if fodmap foods.

Then I can always come back for Whole 30 but I really need to know my trigger foods as it is restricting my life quality.

Have a great day x

Good morning,

I remember now that there was more than one reason for me to cut out wheat:

1) I am bloated and uncomfortably full

2) My digestion gets messed up

3) Wheat triggers an unhealthy food response

I was shopping on the way home last night, bought some rolls, ate one in the car, had spaghetti, then a second serve of spaghetti and then another roll... and after all that I still did not feel satisfied and my tummy was bursting.

I do not think that wheat will be something I reintroduce...

Looking forward to colourful meals today, my dinner yesterday looked so uninviting - a lot has changed about my feelings and food experience. Starting the Whole 30 has already changed so many aspects in the way I look at food, and at some point I will be able to complete a Whole 30 :)

Cheerio x

I have to admit that this feeling of being out of control on its own is pretty horrible.

Additionally I have been feeling pretty low all week, this morning I even cried on the way to work. It will probably make sense to keep an eye on my emotions as well as my physical state while introducing food.

Good morning,

quick update, low fodmap is doing me good, IBS-D is getting better Yay!! It's starting to get hard for me with the restrictions but I am hanging in there! 12 more days until reintroduction starts!!

Keeping a food diary and symptoms diary, learning so much about what foods are doing to me and also continue working on portion control and keeping an eye on my satiety levels. And I mean portion control in the sense of Whole 30, my plate still looks like the template although I have some dairy in, I eat first thing in the morning, and I AM HUNGRY!!! I also keep an eye on my carbs, so my mood does not drop and I make sure I have enough fat. I start to understand that as soon as there is insufficient fat, I get hungry and light headed in a short time and then I start roaming for snacks.

I eat 'treats' like pancakes (paleo) as I would go nuts on fodmap. The foods I am missing lots are avocado, almonds, apples and onion and garlic for seasoning.

Eating out has just become this much more difficult now, but fortunately my next trip is only at the end of June!

So I am keeping well and working hard on a better relationship with food :)

Cheerio x

6 more days to go! I am starting to feel that Whole 30 would be easy, Fodmap is hard - I am struggling to eat out. I think the hardest part is onion / garlic seasoning, that seems to be in everything. So fingers crossed, that is not the offender - although I have my doubts...

Reintroduction if it is up to me:

Polyols: Cauliflower is in season and therefore plentyful in our garden and I love sweet potato, avocado and coconut

Oligos: Garlic, leek and onion make every meal taste better and I am missing peas and cabbage. Persimmon is also yummy!

Fructose: Sugar snap peas and ripe bananas are not really high on my list, apples and pears are in season

Lactose: I would only like to have the freedom to know that I can tolerate lactose and to which quantities

Gluten: Again I would just like to know how much I can tolerate.

Seafood and fish: I have started trying some fish, still too scared to touch seafood (I get food poison like symptoms, I had this before IBS-D)

I think I always had an issue with gluten and fructose - since childhood I can recall signs and also a lot of the food on there I naturally do not like, perhaps I should just go back to the ways I used to be as a child, have a main meal for brekkie, which I absolutely love doing and really enjoy since starting Whole 30 experiment, and keep allow myself to say Yuk to foods I don't like - and ignore the notion "taste buds change over the years, try again"

Polyols would be a disappointment for me :( but then this is the food group I am eating plentyful of, especially since starting Whole 30 having lots of sweet potato and a whole avocado in one meal... perhaps it was just too much.

I guess knowing what I can tolerate and variety will be one of my keys to a happy gut, I think that my way of eating the same food day in / day out, does not help any intolerances.

Have you had bad experiences with eating the same foods every day? Experiences with cutting out food groups?

Cheerio x

• 4 weeks later...

Reintroduction is not going as planned :/ I don't know what I expected. Polyols triggered IBS-D and lactose caused a whole load of other issues. Fructose was fine. I am becoming more content with the situation and keep reminding myself how much better I feel - I actually sometimes wonder, how I kept going for this long. No wonder I was not in a good space of mind.

What are the annoying things, some foods do to me? Reflux, excess bloating, nausea, headaches, joint pain, immediate or delayed diahrea (constant and urgent), issues with water retention, congestion, swollen tongue, disrupted sleep, cramps, excessive thirst, vomiting... this is what I remind myself of, when I look longingly at food.

I have the next review tomorrow and I am hoping to be through the reintro by the end of the month, so I can start a Whole 30 with everyone else on 1st July :)

Cheerio x

Archived