Whole 30- Starting over AGAIN!!

BJS12345

To anyone following me, this is kind of embarrassing! I just haven't been able to stop my sugar addiction! Here I go again… As JMCBM says "you're better than this!!"

I was really tired yesterday from not enough sleep, and I was weak willed. It started with one small piece of an amazing chocolate chip cookie fresh and warm out of the oven at a brunch I was attending. After that it was all downhill! I had the typical mentality of eat everything that you want now because you already blew it. Also get it out of your system today so you can start fresh tomorrow. I know that's absolutely the wrong way to think, and I'm going to try very hard to overcome this ridiculous way of thinking So…

Day 1 AGAIN!!

WO: Jillian Michaels 30 day shred level 2

M1: two eggs two egg whites 2 cups chopped spinach two mushrooms 2 teaspoons coconut oil one quarter avocado black coffee.

M2: Spring mix half a Redpepper six baby carrots shredded cabbage balsamic vinegar mixed with some olive oil, 3ounces chicken, one hard-boiled egg white 10 almonds,one quarter avocado

[quote name="jmcbn" post="284385" timestamp="1430140652

Ok, just one question.... why just the egg white? You know all the nutrition is in the yolk, right?

I just put it my salad for flavor. I already have enough protein and fat at lunch.

I just put it my salad for flavor. I already have enough protein and fat at lunch.

But all the flavour is in the yolk...?

Plus, see Tom's post above - that's what I've been saying all along - add more good fats - up the eggs at breakfast, up the avocado to half rather than a quarter, etc etc etc. That will get you through the day without the need to snack, or without cravings.

In your head you're measuring out your food, and it shows.

To anyone following me, this is kind of embarrassing! I just haven't been able to stop my sugar addiction! Here I go again… As JMCBM says "you're better than this!!"

I was really tired yesterday from not enough sleep, and I was weak willed. It started with one small piece of an amazing chocolate chip cookie fresh and warm out of the oven at a brunch I was attending. After that it was all downhill! I had the typical mentality of eat everything that you want now because you already blew it. Also get it out of your system today so you can start fresh tomorrow. I know that's absolutely the wrong way to think, and I'm going to try very hard to overcome this ridiculous way of thinking So…

Day 1 AGAIN!!

WO: Jillian Michaels 30 day shred level 2

M1: two eggs two egg whites 2 cups chopped spinach two mushrooms 2 teaspoons coconut oil one quarter avocado black coffee.

M2: Spring mix half a Redpepper six baby carrots shredded cabbage balsamic vinegar mixed with some olive oil, 3ounces chicken, one hard-boiled egg white 10 almonds,one quarter avocado

I'm right there with you on "day 1 again" today. I have that same mentality of "eat ALLLLL the crap since you really mean it this time that you'll commit to 30 days." It's such a self-defeating mindset, yet it's human and part of what we're trying to learn about and work through with this process. I'm into being accountability buddies with you on this since it sounds like we're working through similar issues. :) 

Raw vegetables can't do for you what quality cooked vegetables can.  Tom Denham taught me that.   Salads have little satiety.

I eat breakfast like a truck driver.  He taught me that, too.

He told me to eat breakfast within the first hour of waking and quit drinking so much coffee.  As he tells all of us, 3- 4 whole eggs is just about right.  I eat eggs with beef or fish, other meats in the morning and roasted vegetables (roasted with good dietary fats).   The breakfast turned my life around.  I still think it's a miracle

cure.   

I traded in salads for a huge variety of roasted vegetables.   About 8-9 cups aday.  I don't eat nuts...at all.  One exception - 2 brazil nuts with a can of tuna.   Ooooo, guess who taught me that.  :D 

He tells all of us the same things.  I  took that advice to heart and I paid close attention to what he was telling others, too.  I made a journal and a log of all of those tips.   We can learn to be good at this and change our perspective on our relationship with food.

• Moderators

It's a HUGE salad with fat and protoein! What should I add or increase?

As Meadowlily said above, salads are often not as satiating as cooked veggies. That doesn't mean don't have salad if you like salad, but do add denser, cooked vegetables, either in the salad or on the side -- I found that I like adding roasted sweet potato chunks to salads, and to me, they're good whether I put them in hot, or use some I've cooked previously and add them cold. And have the whole egg, not just the egg white. Try a creamier, mayo based dressing. If you haven't made your own mayo yet, this recipe is incredibly easy. Then you can either dollop that on the salad as is, or you can make something like a ranch dressing.

For your meal one, the two eggs, two egg whites -- eat the whole eggs. If you don't want to eat that many eggs at once, have the two eggs plus some other protein -- make some sausage patties, or just have leftovers with it. Have half the avocado, rather than 1/4 of it, or even try the whole thing. Was your spinach two cups raw or two cups after it's cooked? Because it tends to cook down a bunch, so two cups of raw spinach probably won't even get you a cup of cooked spinach. Either increase the spinach, or throw in some other vegetables. 

I know if you're used to counting calories or fat grams or carbs or whatever, this is very different. It can take some time to get used to it, and to get past what we've been taught about eating low fat, low calorie stuff. Try to remember that your goal is to nourish your body with lots of good, healthy foods so that it can do what it's meant to do. 

I'm right there with you on "day 1 again" today. I have that same mentality of "eat ALLLLL the crap since you really mean it this time that you'll commit to 30 days." It's such a self-defeating mindset, yet it's human and part of what we're trying to learn about and work through with this process. I'm into being accountability buddies with you on this since it sounds like we're working through similar issues. :)

It's always good to hear I'm not alone in my way of thinking and bad habits. Being accountability buddies sounds great!

As Meadowlily said above, salads are often not as satiating as cooked veggies. That doesn't mean don't have salad if you like salad, but do add denser, cooked vegetables, either in the salad or on the side -- I found that I like adding roasted sweet potato chunks to salads, and to me, they're good whether I put them in hot, or use some I've cooked previously and add them cold. And have the whole egg, not just the egg white. Try a creamier, mayo based dressing. If you haven't made your own mayo yet, this recipe is incredibly easy. Then you can either dollop that on the salad as is, or you can make something like a ranch dressing.

For your meal one, the two eggs, two egg whites -- eat the whole eggs. If you don't want to eat that many eggs at once, have the two eggs plus some other protein -- make some sausage patties, or just have leftovers with it. Have half the avocado, rather than 1/4 of it, or even try the whole thing. Was your spinach two cups raw or two cups after it's cooked? Because it tends to cook down a bunch, so two cups of raw spinach probably won't even get you a cup of cooked spinach. Either increase the spinach, or throw in some other vegetables.

I know if you're used to counting calories or fat grams or carbs or whatever, this is very different. It can take some time to get used to it, and to get past what we've been taught about eating low fat, low calorie stuff. Try to remember that your goal is to nourish your body with lots of good, healthy foods so that it can do what it's meant to do.

The spinich is frozen chopped. It's 2 cups out of the bag. I can try upping my avacado and whole eggs. I do also make a ceasar dressing with my own mayo. And I usually eat some chicken or fish as a pre workout food. I just didn't do that today. My favorite is leftover salmon added to my egg.

Thanks for the feed back!!

Mini meal snack: 1 oz chicken, half avacado, 1/4 sweet potato

M3: cod and string beans sautéed in olive oil.

Had some grapes bc I was cutting brownies and wanted some so had grapes instead. I have to try to get other people in the family to do that kind of stuff for me!

Day 2

Pre wo: one bite chicken

WO jillian 30 day shred level one

Post wo one bite chicken and black coffee w half tsp coc oil

M1: 3 eggs, mushrooms, half avacado, kale

M2: salad w 2 oz chicken whole HB egg, ceasar dressing, 10 nuts, third avacado , grape tom, red pep, carrots

Upped my avacado and egg today. Going to kill that dragon!!!!

• Administrators

Day 2

Pre wo: one bite chicken

WO jillian 30 day shred level one

Post wo one bite chicken and black coffee w half tsp coc oil

M1: 3 eggs, mushrooms, half avacado, kale

M2: salad w 2 oz chicken whole HB egg, ceasar dressing, 10 nuts, third avacado , grape tom, red pep, carrots

Upped my avacado and egg today. Going to kill that dragon!!!!

How does "2 oz chicken" relate to the size of your palm?

As jmcbn says, you are counting and restricting, even if you don't know you are (did you really count out 10 nuts or did you use a closed handful like the Whole30 tells you to measure?).  You did JM's shred on one bite of chicken and one bite of chicken and half a tsp of oil to recover.   Why did you go with a third of avocado and not just put the whole half on your salad, would have been easier, less messy, less leftovers to store and turn brown.

I'm not sure what your overall goals are but no dragons are going to die while you are eating this lightly.  Your body is going to crave carbs and fat, probably in the form of brownies and chocolate bars because it wants energy and it wants it Right Effing Now.  Feed yourself for goodness sakes!

How have you been feeling today? Doing ok on the sugar cravings?

Going great today...thanks! Still have the brownies from yesterday in the house. Seriously had no desire for them!! I think the increased fat helped today!

How does "2 oz chicken" relate to the size of your palm?

As jmcbn says, you are counting and restricting, even if you don't know you are (did you really count out 10 nuts or did you use a closed handful like the Whole30 tells you to measure?). You did JM's shred on one bite of chicken and one bite of chicken and half a tsp of oil to recover. Why did you go with a third of avocado and not just put the whole half on your salad, would have been easier, less messy, less leftovers to store and turn brown.

I'm not sure what your overall goals are but no dragons are going to die while you are eating this lightly. Your body is going to crave carbs and fat, probably in the form of brownies and chocolate bars because it wants energy and it wants it Right Effing Now. Feed yourself for goodness sakes!

I was proud of myself that I upped my fats as much as I did today! I added an egg at M1 and used a whole egg in my salad. I also had a half avacado with M1 instead of my usual quater.

2 oz of chicken is about half of my palm, but I had an egg too so that equals a whole Palm.

My pre wo bite of chicken is really all I feel that I need to take the edge off if I wake up hungry. It's optional also. So is post wo. I'm not doing heavy duty strength training. And yes, I did count out the nuts but I find that easier and 10 nuts does equal a closed handful. Personally I find the Whole 30 measurement system awkward. Was I really supposed to put cooked chicken breast in my hand for dinner tonight? Talk about messy! It's so much neater and easier to just throw it on the scale!

My goal is to stop eating sugar and to feel good. If I go by today, I'm right on track. I have a ton of energy and have no desire for any sweet treats.

Personally I find the Whole 30 measurement system awkward. Was I really supposed to put cooked chicken breast in my hand for dinner tonight? Talk about messy!

To clarify, the protein portion isn't what sits in your palm. The idea is to look at the length, width and thickness of your palm as the palm-sized amount and have 1-2 of that volume per meal.

To clarify, the protein portion isn't what sits in your palm. The idea is to look at the length, width and thickness of your palm as the palm-sized amount and have 1-2 of that volume per meal.

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. That would be a pretty large portion! And I have a fairly small hand. I guess I do have to rethink my portion sizes. I'll shoot to up them a little for tomorrow.

Day 3

Pre wo: small piece of chicken

WO: 40 min interval run/walk

Post wo: 2 strawberries and black coffee w about one tsp of coconut oil

M1: 3 eggs, kale mushrooms half avacado

M2: salad w chicken avacado egg almonds red pep carrot cabbage balsamic mixed w olive oil

M3: small sweet pot, chicken, broccoli and califlour

Hi there-

Just stopping by to let you know I think it's great that you're staying connected and so receptive to suggestions and support.  You're going to make it to your daughter's bat miz vah (sp????)--I'm sure of it.  Good for you for overcoming the desire to quit and withdraw.

Sarah

Day 3

M1: three eggs half an avocado mushrooms and Kayle spinach mix

M2: salad with one hard-boiled egg chicken avocado and almonds

M3: chicken roasted Collie flower and broccoli small sweet potato some grapes

Archived