Compliant deli meat

SarahRoseyCheeks

Has anyone found compliant deli meat? Turkey, ham?!? I'd like to make a roll up with Romaine and such for lunch but all the packages mention brown sugar or cane sugar or curing with some other type of sugar. I am hesitant to just go to the counter and get sliced meat (Boar's Head or Black Bear depending on the grocery store) because there really is no label to look at in that case. Any suggestions?

• Administrators

Compliant deli meat is really hard to find. If not sugars, you have to also watch for carrageenan and soy. I would not just get counter service without asking to see the packaging.

How about throwing a cheaper cut of beef into a slow cooker for a few hours and then putting that in your romaine wrap? Or cooking up some ground turkey? Baked chicken thighs seasoned with paprika, garlic powder, S&P and baked 435 for 35 minutes. Then cool and slice and they are SO good cold.

Um...yumm! Thanks great suggestion!

Also saw some people mention canned salmon. I guess they are finding that is more compliant? 

Yesterday I roasted a small whole chicken that I plan to cut and package individually and then freeze what I am not using right away. I think that will make a nice addition. 

Is it possible to overdo it on the red meat? Should that be an "in moderation" type of thing? Maybe I am brainwashed from the years of anti-red meat I have been subjected to. I feel I am evenly spacing out the number of times a week I am eating it (maybe 3 or 4). I also eat ground turkey, chicken and different kinds of fish. I have also done a few meatless meals with eggs and dark green veggies as my protein. Husband is on this kick that I am eating too much red meat. I respectively DISAGREE  :)  Any comments?

• Moderators

You cannot overdo eating red meat at the rate of a palm-size serving three times per day. Beef and lamb offer more nutrition than chicken, pork, or turkey, so you would actually get more nourishment from eating red meat every day. I make a point of eating red meat once or twice per day. 

Okay - variety is great and even encouraged.

However Red meat is not the evil thing that it is made out to be.  Some people have issues with red meat (causes stomach upset or otherwise) I encourage you to read this article: http://chriskresser.com/red-meat-it-does-a-body-good/

Honestly when I first did my whole 30 I was kind of tentative to embrace to embrace "red meat" as well.  After all we were told it was bad for us right?  But I remember right in the beginning of my first whole 30 I craved red meat like crazy - I wanted it for every single meal.  I was kind of scared.  So I asked just to be sure.  And I was told that to listen to the signals my body was giving me.  After all red meat was compliant.  So I ran with it for 3 days.  And then the strong desire stopped.  

Now beef is part of my everyday routine - breakfast hash - basically has cooked ground beef and eggs, handfuls of spinach and cooked cubbed sweeto potato.

"You cannot overdo eating red meat at the rate of a palm-size serving three times per day. Beef and lamb offer more nutrition than chicken, pork, or turkey, so you would actually get more nourishment from eating red meat every day. I make a point of eating red meat once or twice per day. "

Ooooo, how I wish people would eat  meat and see how their body and mind can heal at  the speed of light. Real food proteins....meat accelerates the healing process for the body and mind.  

It might take a health crisis to take a leap of faith and completely jump on in but when you do....few will go back.  Your mind and thinking becomes clearer.  The fog clears and you're wide WIDE AWAKE.   

I have yet to find a compliant ham, and the turkey and roast beef I got was Applegate, from the deli counter at whole foods.  Tuna- found some at target yesterday in cans, and the Starkist pouches of yellowfin tuna in extra virgin olive oil, have JUST tuna and EVOO. the pouches are so much easier for work lunches!

Huzzah! See?!? I knew I was right! Truth be told while I feel great after all meals lately I really do feel the best after a gloriously juicy steak. I did blood work before this endeavor and I will be curious to see the improvement in iron and hemoglobin when I am through with 30 days. Thanks for validating friends!

I have yet to find a compliant ham, and the turkey and roast beef I got was Applegate, from the deli counter at whole foods.  Tuna- found some at target yesterday in cans, and the Starkist pouches of yellowfin tuna in extra virgin olive oil, have JUST tuna and EVOO. the pouches are so much easier for work lunches!

See? I looked at the Applegate products at both Whole Foods and BJs yesterday and all of them said cane sugar. There also was "browned in caramel color" whatever the heck that means. 

• Administrators

See? I looked at the Applegate products at both Whole Foods and BJs yesterday and all of them said cane sugar. There also was "browned in caramel color" whatever the heck that means. 

Caramel color is basically burned sugar.  So....still no.

the pre-packaged kind is a no-go, but the kind they actually slice for you at the deli counter should be ok - i got the plain oven roasted turkey and it was just turkey and salt. honestly though, i really haven't relied on it for lunches like i thought i would. i have enough leftovers or eggs or tuna!

I get wild planet tuna which is just tuna and salt. They take raw fish and it is cooked during the canning process so the juice in the can is.... tuna juice!! I either stir it back into the tuna when I make tuna salad or I just drink it straight from the can. I make tuna salad with it and I add hard boiled eggs to it to stretch the tuna. I grew up with my parents doing this and so it is just second nature to take a couple cans and toss in 4-6 hard boiled eggs and the celery, onion, seasonings, chopped dill pickles and mayo. 

I get wild planet tuna which is just tuna and salt. They take raw fish and it is cooked during the canning process so the juice in the can is.... tuna juice!! I either stir it back into the tuna when I make tuna salad or I just drink it straight from the can. I make tuna salad with it and I add hard boiled eggs to it to stretch the tuna. I grew up with my parents doing this and so it is just second nature to take a couple cans and toss in 4-6 hard boiled eggs and the celery, onion, seasonings, chopped dill pickles and mayo. 

I just started doing this with the tuna too! egg salad + tuna salad. noms!

Compliant Deli Meats I have Found:

Wegman's Organic Uncured Ham

Wegman's Organic Roasted Turkey

Wegman's Organic Herbed Turkey

Applegate Naturals Turkey Bologna

Applegate Organic Roast Beef

Personally, for me, the unicorn out there is compliant bacon.  People tell me it exists but I have never seen it with me own eyes...

But the Wegman's ham is a game changer and makes me over the moon happy.

Bookluvingbabe, do you have a local butcher shop that does their own cured meats?  They can make you sugar free bacon..  

Celery powder (inplace of nitrates), salt and paprika.   Thats the recipe my shop uses.. 

Ok so update. Totally found compliant tuna! huzzah! thank you SpinSpin! found it at whole foods and am currently eating it for meal 2. I didn't do the egg thing though. kinda weirds me out mixing the two. i mixed it some small chopped bell peppers and scallions. i rolled it in to romaine leaves...delish! don't worry I have some guacamole and veggies also so I got my fat in. ugh the fat part always defeats me. 

I have ended my search for compliant deli meat. i just really thinly slice chicken or turkey when I make it and it satisfies. I've been doing a lot of left overs lately so not too big of a call for deli meat, plus I think it is one of my triggers. Makes me totally want an italian sub. avoid!

I'm not sure if there is Wegmans by you (being in Jersey, maybe). I found a compliant organic turkey deli slices. They are delicious. I was so happy!

They also carry Wild Planet tuna in my store.

Starkist Tuna in EVOO doesn't have the soy, and Trader Joe's has a couple of types of tuna packed in water without the junk in it, some have added salt, half-salt or no salt. Second the Pederson's bacon from Whole Foods, also found a jumbo pack of prosciutto there (Naturalissima - 1lb.) that is way cheaper by weight than the 5-slice pack of Boar's Head W30 compliant prosciutto I was buying.

Archived