Tori's First Whole30 - 9/1/12

PaleoTori

Hi everyone,

My friend Ronnie told me that a good way to stay on track is to log my food here. So I'm going to listen to her wise voice.

Breakfast: 4 eggs scrambled in coconut oil, with 1 small white onion diced up and cooked in the eggs, and 1 banana on the side.

Lunch: handful of green grapes, stuffed green bell pepper (stuffed with ground beef cooked with diced onions in olive oil) seasoned with cayenne pepper. Half a spoonful of sunflower seed spread.

I just realized that maybe I should wait until the day is over to log all of my food. Unless there's an edit button...wait, that still doesn't work very well. Any advice on how to log food? Should I do it at the end of the day?

A little history: I've been eating "Paleo" for about 6 months now. At first I didn't know there was a term for the way I ate. I just decided I wanted to start eating whole foods and cut out any processed foods, because it seemed like the right thing to do. Then I found out it's called "paleo" and I started to research this way of eating and learned A LOT. I cut out beans, rice, and stuff like quinoa and chia seeds. I used to think those items were Paleo and very healthy for me.

I have a long history with anxiety and some depression. I believe a lot of it is due to my eating patterns. When I was young I used food to cope with stress, and there was a lot of stress in my life. I've had an unhealthy relationship with food for most of my life, and eating strict Paleo seems to be the only way for me to make it a healthy one. I swear it's changed my life.

So I've been eating this way for awhile, but I've also been sneaking in a donut here and there, or a slice of pizza once in awhile. My husband eats terribly so it's hard for me to stay on track sometimes.

Anyhow, I'm done rambling. Thanks for reading and good luck to everyone! I just had my wisdom teeth out and I'm pretty out of it from the meds, so forgive my pointless ramblings.

- Tori

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I just started my journal today, too. I have used the edit button to add each meal. I think tht will work for me as I have done that before on other forums. Then I can add a reply to start the next day. You have gotten some good suggestions, though.

I completely messed up and drank some Gatorade today, accidentally. I needed to take some medication and we were in the car so out of habit, I drank some of my husband's drink. Starting over tomorrow! For dinner I had hangar (sp?) steak with mixed veggies, and a tomato salad for dinner. We ate at a Paleo friendly restaurant. All of their ingredients (meat and produce are from local farms), grass-fed, etc.

Day #1 (because I messed up yesterday):

Breakfast: 4 eggs scrambled in coconut oil and 1 banana.

Lunch: stuffed green bell pepper -- ground beef cooked in olive oil with onions. Small spoonful of sunflower seed butter

Snack: 5 blackberries

Dinner: pork chop cooked in olive oil, broccoli and mushrooms on the side, as well as diced and broiled sweet potato slices. Small bowl of assorted grapes.

Craving a donut. Can't stop thinking about eating one.

Tori, hopefully your donut cravings went away after a good night's sleep! Good day #1!

Thanks, it did. It just took some "no you can't have a donut Tori" (talking to myself in my head) for a bit. Then I forgot the donut, until now that is. But I don't think one sounds good right now at all.

Before I start today's log which is Day #2 (yay!), I wanted to take advantage of the fact I'm online accessing the forums, and post a photo of last night's dinner:

4fc585d9.png

I was able to make a Whole30 meal for the entire family, which is a big hope for me -- that my family will start to eat more like this. My husband and brother subsist mainly on pizza and Ramen noodles. I hate it. Dinner was delicious though and my husband even ate his sweet potatoes. He usually refuses to try them because he says he "hates" sweet potatoes. But he was surprisingly into them.

________

Now for today.

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil, 5 blackberries, and 5 pieces of Applegate brand Salami, also cooked for a minute in coconut oil.

Lunch: half leftover pork chop, spoonful sunflower seed spread, bowl of assorted grapes.

Snack: 2 slices salami, small spoonful of sunflower seed butter.

Dinner: boiled chicken breast, carrots and mushrooms cooked in olive oil, sliced and broiled sweet potatoes with olive oil.

I'd really like to find bacon that doesn't have added sugar and I shop at a co-op that stocks only local/organic/grass-fed type foods, but even their bacon choices have either sugar or organic honey added. Instead I tried the salami because it only had sea salt and some herbs added -- nothing bad.

I really dislike cooking lunch. Breakfast and dinner don't bother me but I end up grazing for lunch because I really don't feel like cooking. Any suggestions?

Day 3!

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil, 3 slices salami heated in leftover coconut oil, about 1/3 of an avocado (raw).

Lunch: ground beef with onions and large raw kale leaf.

Dinner: cashews, salami slices, mixed olives, grapes, sweet potato, tomato salad (just sliced variation of tomatoes with olive oil, sea salt, and pepper).

Dinner was weird because I hosted a book club meeting and provided the snacks. Lots of leftovers, yay!

3480bxw.jpg

Good luck, Tori! I am all done with my Whole30 and ready to start again.

For lunch, can you do leftovers from dinner? Or just cook it the night before? You can always do a giant salad. Maybe pre-chop everything beforehand so all you have to do is throw it together.

Good luck, Tori! I am all done with my Whole30 and ready to start again.

For lunch, can you do leftovers from dinner? Or just cook it the night before? You can always do a giant salad. Maybe pre-chop everything beforehand so all you have to do is throw it together.

Do you take a break, like go drink and eat whatever for a little bit? I was thinking I could do the first 30, take a week off, then do another...

Anyway, yeah that's an awesome idea. I've been trying to make more for dinner lately so I can just eat that the next day for lunch. I'm also thinking of eating small varied foods (like my dinner today).

I really try not to take a break because after the 30 days, my body reacts differently to grains, sugar, processed oils, etc. Like...it's not worth trying because I don't want to deal with a stomach ache or some shitty rash. Buuuuut it's nice to be able to enjoy going out for dinner or drinking or having a glass of wine.

Day 4:

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil (as you can see, I'm a creature of habit), with half an avocado (raw).

Lunch: salami, grapes, tomato salad, sweet potato "fries", and cashews.

Snack: Spoonful of sunflower seed spread.

Dinner: broiled salmon with some olive oil, sea salt, and ground pepper with sautéed mushrooms, carrots, and broccoli.

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Tori

idw5ck.jpg

P.S. Did not get any sleep last night. My toddler is transitioning to his "big kid" bed because he just learned to climb out of his crib yesterday. A little worried because my cravings and the ease to go off track get pretty big if I don't sleep enough. I think I've been eating this way for long enough though, and just the past 3-4 days of being really strict should help me mentally in staying on track.

Day 5, yay!

So I found out the salami I've been eating isn't Whole30 approved, but a moderator said it's not bad enough that I need to restart. Phew! There's only so much restarting I can take.

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil, with 1/2 an avocado, and 5 blackberries.

I can't remember everything I ate today because my toddler has been on a rampage, and I was eating sporadically. I didn't go off the Whole30, just didn't eat meals like I'm supposed to. Was eating snack-like meals here and there. Will get back on track tomorrow.

I had horrible carb cravings today. It's never been this strong for me. We went to a grocery store and I was literally hurting just looking at the baked goods and imagining eating all of them. I keep randomly thinking about biting into a slice of bread and now I'm fixated on pizza. This just feels nuts. I won't cave but it feels like I'm fighting a war trying not to.

I need help (motivation) to NOT weigh myself. I'm so used to weighing myself daily that it drives me nuts not being able to and today I caved. The good news is I've lost about 6 pounds in the past 2 weeks (was eating Whole30-ish before I officially started). The bad news is I weighed myself.

Day 6:

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil and half of an avocado.

Lunch: 1 red bell pepper stuffed with ground beef (cooked with red onion, fresh minced garlic, sea salt, ground pepper, and cayenne -- in olive oil)

Dinner: chicken breast with sea salt and pepper, 1 large raw carrot, olives, and a handful of grapes.

Exercise: biked around the lake -- about 30-45 minutes.

The bike ride really made me feel good today. I've been sidelined from my marathon training with an injury but I really need to buck up and continue biking and/or swimming.

Day 7 (wow, time is flying):

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil, and some raspberries.

Snack: green grapes

Lunch: stuffed bell pepper (yellow): ground beef cooked in olive oil with red onions, and freshly minced garlic.

Dinner: stuffed bell pepper (red): ground beef cooked in olive oil with red onions, freshly minced garlic, and mushrooms. Some broiled sweet potato slices on the side, topped with olive oil, sea salt, and ground pepper.

Can you tell I need to go grocery shopping?

10ckign.jpg

Day 8:

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil and half an avocado.

Lunch: Salad -- mixed spring lettuce topped with leftover ground beef mixed with red onions and garlic (from my stuffed peppers yesterday) -- also added some olive oil for dressing.

Snack: green grapes

Dinner: Chicken breast, sweet potato, and a raw carrot.

Going to "family dinner" tonight at my in-law's. We usually go every Sunday and it's very "American" style food. I'm bringing my own dinner with me and hoping nobody gives me a hard time. I've read some of the family and friends horror stories on here. It's times like these when I'm happy to live somewhere that's so P.C. People basically let you do what you want, with maybe a tiny bit of heckling. But my family would never put me down for doing this.

Day 10,

Breakfast: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil, and a side of raspberries.

Lunch: small piece of leftover chicken breast, and a stuffed green bell pepper -- stuffed with ground beef cooked in olive oil with red onions and fresh minced garlic.

Dinner: 4 egg omelette with spinach and leftover halibut mixed in. 3 strawberries and a couple of olives.

Day 11,

Breakfast: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil with crushed pepper on top. Strawberries and raspberries on the side.

Lunch: raw spinach and mixed spring lettuce salad, topped with a baked chicken breast and olive oil. Added a few olives to the salad.

Dinner: tbone steak cooked in olive oil with sea salt, crushed pepper, and cayenne pepper. Mushrooms and broccoli on the side.

Day 12,

Breakfast: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil with a small piece of leftover t-bone steak (from dinner last night).

Lunch: raw spinach and mixed spring lettuce salad, with chicken breast diced up and mixed in. Also, added 5 olives to the salad.

Dinner: T-bone steak cooked in olive oil and sea salt, crushed pepper, & cayenne pepper. Sautéed broccoli and mushrooms on the side.

Why am I still craving donuts? This is annoying!

Update on the donut thing: I don't think I've been eating enough fruit the past few days. So I ate a few strawberries and some raspberries and I'm hoping this will ward the craving off.

I've been feeling very different. I'll share this with my Whole30 post when I complete it, but I'm really starting to think that the major culprit for me is sugar. When I say culprit, I believe it affects me very much emotionally. I'll explain more at the end.

Archived