Tori's First Whole30 - 9/1/12

PaleoTori

Tori, seriously nice work. Love the pictures of the food! I am on day four. For what it is worth, the exercise not only takes my mind of the cravings, but also gets my head out of food altogether :) Very impressed!

Thanks so much for the encouragement. It helps. I was starting to feel lonely, haha. I strained my groin over a month ago while training for a marathon and it still hasn't healed. I know that isn't an excuse as there are other things I can do for exercise. Will go to the gym tomorrow. Good luck to you and congrats on day 4! I'll look for your thread.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 13,

Still fighting sugar cravings. Seems to be getting worse rather than better. Before I started the Whole30 I was eating about 75-85% paleo and having a vegan donut once in awhile. I'm having these really bad cravings for the donuts that just won't go away. Going to the gym today to see if it will help.

Breakfast: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil with crushed pepper and raw spinach on top. A few raspberries on the side.

Lunch: baked chicken breast with olive oil on top. 1 medium sized raw yellow bell pepper.

Snack: half of a chicken breast (leftover)

Dinner: top loin steak grilled in pan with olive oil, sea salt, crushed pepper, and cayenne pepper. Sautéed mushrooms and broccoli on the side. Also, some broiled sweet potato slices.

Hey Tori, you are keeping strong. Think of it this way, you are half way there. Your foods look really good and you look like you are eating very healthy! I like that you are adding some fruits. Maybe sub in some fruits and even some flavored drink (I am drinking iced passion tazo tea) will help get past the craves. Isn't it amazing how addicted our bodies are?

I bet your work out will help too. I find that when I am pushing myself, I am not thinking of much else. When I am idle is when I am thinking of the carbs....One last thing, are you doing nuts and enough fat? I am not the expert, you are more than me :)

Day 14,

Breakfast: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil with crushed pepper. A couple of strawberries and half a banana (hey, I share my food with 2 toddlers).

Lunch: raw green bell pepper stuffed with ground beef cooked in leftover coconut oil (from breakfast).

Dinner: baked chicken breast with olive oil, sea salt, crushed pepper, and cayenne - for seasoning. Some sliced and broiled sweet potato slices and 1 medium raw carrot.

I didn't work out yesterday. My groin strain is affecting me to the point that it still hurts just walking to the grocery store (2 blocks away).

Starting to really worry about the half marathon I trained so hard for, that's coming up in 4 weeks. I already have the hotel room booked and have paid for tickets to the events before and after the race. Don't know what to do. :(

Hey Tori, you are keeping strong. Think of it this way, you are half way there. Your foods look really good and you look like you are eating very healthy! I like that you are adding some fruits. Maybe sub in some fruits and even some flavored drink (I am drinking iced passion tazo tea) will help get past the craves. Isn't it amazing how addicted our bodies are?

I bet your work out will help too. I find that when I am pushing myself, I am not thinking of much else. When I am idle is when I am thinking of the carbs....One last thing, are you doing nuts and enough fat? I am not the expert, you are more than me :)

Thanks for the suggestions! I didn't work out (injury is still bothering me and it's making me "lazy"). Going to try again this week. I did forget I had purchased some nuts and your post reminded me. I've been snacking on cashews and they help! Hope you're doing good.

Day 15,

Breakfast: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil with crushed pepper. 1/2 of an avocado.

Lunch: large red bell pepper with ground beef (leftover from yesterday), topped with olive oil.

Dinner: rib-eye (don't like this cut like I used to) cooked in olive oil, with sea salt, crushed pepper, and cayenne. Mushrooms and broccoli on the side. Some broiled slices of sweet potato.

I ate too much at dinner. Don't know why. Usually I stop when hungry. Have been feeling anxious so perhaps a side effect of that.

Day 16,

Breakfast: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil with crushed pepper -- topped with raw spinach leaves and some leftover avocado cubes. A handful of raspberries on the side.

Lunch: 1 medium yellow bell pepper with ground beef, topped with olive oil. 1 medium raw carrot.

Dinner: baked chicken breast on top of pan cooked cabbage, carrots, and mushrooms. Used olive oil to cook.

Day 17,

Breakfast: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil, with crushed pepper. 1/2 an avocado.

Lunch: 1 baked chicken breast, with olive oil and some spices. 2 raw carrots.

Dinner: top loin steak cooked in pan with olive oil and sea salt, 6 white mushrooms sautéed in olive oil, 2 fried eggs, and a handful of raw spinach.

Snack: handful of green grapes

This might sound weird, but I'm pretty sure I was getting anxiety from eating cayenne pepper.

Day 18,

Breakfast: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil with crushed black pepper. 3 strawberries on the side.

Lunch: handful of green grapes, chicken breast on raw spinach leaves with oil for dressing. A small plum after lunch because I wasn't full.

Dinner: top loin steak (last of the bunch I bought), on top of mixed spring lettuce. Sautéed red onion and chopped carrots on the side. All topped with some olive oil.

* My skin is breaking out very badly lately. I'm confused as to why it's happening now. I've always had problems with my skin but it seemed to be clearing up when I started the Whole30 -- that is until now.

Nice work Tori! I am on day 10 today. You are 8 days older ;-) Wierd about the pepper. How are you feeling overall?

I am able to turn down "cheating" even while starving. That's a big deal for me. Today my brother and I went to Pike Place and I forgot to prepare some food to bring along. By 1pm I was starving, but had to wait until 2:30 to eat (when I got home). I thought I'd cave at the market seeing as there are a zillion restaurants and food stands there, but I just didn't feel like eating anything that could make me sick, and I do want to stick to the Whole30. Anyway, that's a big deal for me.

Nice job Tori. It is amazing what this can do for you. It sounds like this program is doing much more than just giving you 30 days of healthy eating....it is showing you the power you have to live a healthy life! Very cool!!!! Happy for you!!!!

Day 19,

Breakfast: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil with crushed pepper. 1/2 an avocado.

Lunch: broiled salmon with cooked carrot slices, cabbage, and garlic. Cooked everything in olive oil.

Snacks: 2 small plums, 1 banana, & a handful of grapes.

Dinner: chicken breast baked in olive oil with diced carrots and red onion.

Day 20,

Breakfast: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil with ground pepper. 1/2 an avocado.

Lunch: 1 raw green bell pepper with ground beef cooked in olive oil and freshly minced garlic.

* the onions I've been eating the past 2 days really upset my stomach. It seems I'm sensitive to foods I didn't even realize.

Day 21,

Wasn't hungry this morning even though I fell asleep really early last night and forgot dinner. Finally forced myself to eat at 10am...

Breakfast: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil with black pepper. 1 small plum.

Lunch: 1/2 an apple and 1 package of Applegate Farms turkey slices.

Dinner: 1 green bell pepper raw, with ground beef cooked in olive oil and fresh garlic.

* Today was an off day because we went to a BBQ and I wasn't prepared. The past couple of days were difficult, actually. My husband and I went on a movie date last night and I ate before we left. He ate during the movie (it's a theater with full bar and servers who take your food order while you watch the movie). I had packed Whole30 compliant food in my purse but didn't end up eating. I wasn't hungry and when we got home I snacked on a small plum then went to lie down in our room. Woke up at 1am with my 9 month old and realized I never ate dinner, wasn't able to fall back asleep until 6am.

My sleep is not something I can monitor for improvements as I have a 2 year old and a 9 month old. It's just impossible for me to get regular sleep.

Then today my husband's friend had a bday BBQ and he said they'd have 2 grills going so I brought my own chicken breast, raw spinach, and some avocado. But what he meant was they had 2 grills going to cook brisket and chicken themselves. Everyone sat down to eat and I sneakily ate the package of Applegate Farms turkey because I didn't know anyone there and didn't want them to think I was being rude.

At the moment I'm really looking forward to being done with the Whole30. Only because it's hard on my social life. I know I'll continue to eat like this for the most part, but I don't want to pack food for a movie or turn down food at BBQ's anymore. Getting tired of it.

Day 22,

Breakfast: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil with crushed black pepper. Handful of raw spinach and 1/2 an avocado.

Lunch: raw baby spinach topped with broiled chicken breast, and olive oil as dressing.

Dinner: broiled salmon with raw spinach salad on the side -- sliced avocado and olive oil on salad.

Snack: 1 peach

Tori, nice work. I get the challenges of social stuff. Very hard and when you add in the fact that you have two young ones, that is double duty. I am impressed with your progress. Very good! How are you feeling overall?

Are you glad you did the program?

Day 23,

Breakfast: 2 eggs fried in coconut oil with crushed black pepper, and one large orange.

* I almost gave up last night and ate a turkey and cheese sandwich. Not feeling motivated by anything but the number (30) right now, and how close I am to it.

Tori, nice work. I get the challenges of social stuff. Very hard and when you add in the fact that you have two young ones, that is double duty. I am impressed with your progress. Very good! How are you feeling overall?

Are you glad you did the program?

I am glad I did/am doing it, because it helped me to get control of my sugar intake. I've been eating like this for a long time but didn't realize there was sugar in odd things.

My case is complex, however. I suffer from Bipolar disorder and I'm on strong medication. So I don't know how much difference I'll see mentally, as would a "normal" person.

Archived