Today is day 27 for me and for some reason I am starting to have over the top crazy stupid anxiety over checking my actual results on Friday. Which of course isn't going to help a thing. This is absolutely insane because I have had fabulous results in regard to body composition and more importantly how I feel. I have to laugh because I never had the cravings I thought I would and over all I have found this to be an easy process, I give FULL credit to being more than ready (mentally) to start when I did. So why now am I really completely & uncontrollably freaking out? I don't plan on stopping the Whole30 for awhile as I am eeking my way back to health and fitness from a back surgery almost three years ago. I am not expecting miracles but it seems I'm scared to death of disappointing myself. I wasn't sure if anyone had been through this ridiculous feeling and why now....yarg...make it go away! Thank you for your time and input. I truly appreciate any words of advice.

• Administrators

Sorry you are feeling this way!  It's not unusual for our sense of success and even our self respect and our virtue to come from a number on a scale or a tape measure.  Given that you are having some high anxiety about it, I would say to you, don't weigh or measure.  First, you are not cattle, it doesn't matter how much you weigh.  Second, make a list of all the things that have improved (health, skin, sleep, mood, attitude, hair, nails, cravings and whatever else you've noticed.  Write it down and post it here so that we can all tell you that it's all bullsh*t because the number on the tapes/scale isn't what you thought it should be.  And then give your head a shake because WE would never say that so YOU should never say it either!  ;)

Truly, don't open the door for that possible "disappointment".  Just keep on keeping on.  :)

I think you should cross that bridge when you come to it.  You have 3 more days.  No need to panic now.  You're going to be happy and over the moon.

No one is telling you to throw all caution to the wind on Day 31.  You can do a Slow Roll Reintro and ease your way back into the mainstream.  You can use that time to create your own strategy going forward.   There's no need to fall back into any old habit or old foods you do not want to eat.

• Moderators

Today is day 27 for me and for some reason I am starting to have over the top crazy stupid anxiety over checking my actual results on Friday. Which of course isn't going to help a thing. This is absolutely insane because I have had fabulous results in regard to body composition and more importantly how I feel. I have to laugh because I never had the cravings I thought I would and over all I have found this to be an easy process, I give FULL credit to being more than ready (mentally) to start when I did. So why now am I really completely & uncontrollably freaking out? I don't plan on stopping the Whole30 for awhile as I am eeking my way back to health and fitness from a back surgery almost three years ago. I am not expecting miracles but it seems I'm scared to death of disappointing myself. I wasn't sure if anyone had been through this ridiculous feeling and why now....yarg...make it go away! Thank you for your time and input. I truly appreciate any words of advice.

I just wonder, if you're going to keep Whole30'ing on, and weighing/measuring is giving you such anxiety... why would you weigh/measure?  If you're so pleased with your fabulous results that you want to keep going, then keep going... be dammed the scale or the tape measure!  It's not a requirement to judge your results with those tools on Day 31. At all!  Also, your 'actual results' are the results that you already know about... body composition and how you feel.  Your weight/circumference is no more an 'actual result' than any other of your results!

Just piggy-backing on SpiderMonkey's post; today is Day 29 for me. Committing to my Whole30 has been super easy. I have been on weight watchers for a while, so I'm no stranger to meal prepping and I was mentally prepared for the challenge. I've had many noscale victories, and I'm planning to continue eating this way! But my heart has been beating ever so faster, and I'm super anxious and worried about my numeric results.... I want this feeling to go away but I just can't shake it off :wacko:  :(  Good to know I'm not the only one feeling this way!

Just get rid of your scales. If, for some reason, you HAVE to step on one at some point (like a dr appt), tell them ahead of time that you do not want to know your weight. They should respect this and not tell you. Some people are better off not knowing. If you freak out over the number, just assume it's the # you would hope would appear, congratulate yourself on a great whole30, and move on. Seriously, just get rid of the scales.

Ditch that scale!  Mine broke a few months ago and I was like good riddance,  I never liked it anyway.  Who needs a scale, you need a full length mirror so you can see yourself patting your back for getting through the whole 30.  Allow yourself to enjoy other victories its only a number.

Ditch that scale!  Mine broke a few months ago and I was like good riddance,  I never liked it anyway.  Who needs a scale, you need a full length mirror so you can see yourself patting your back for getting through the whole 30.  Allow yourself to enjoy other victories its only a number.

Agreed. I ditched mine almost two years ago and haven't looked back. We all know when our pants are tighter or looser; we don't need a scale and its minute daily ups and downs to drive us insane and make us unhappy. Plus, many of us have an unreasonable scale number in our heads that we want to achieve, when often our bodies have their very own unique happy spot that might not be anywhere near that number. If you eat good food, eat until you are satisfied, and move your body every day, your body will find its natural state. Hang in there!

My scale is in the trunk of my mom's car. If I "need" it I can get it, but is out of sight, mind, and inconvenient to obtain. Go for it!!

Next step is to get it out of the trunk and set it behind one of her wheels and then back over it. Fight the power!

• 2 weeks later...

My husband has ours in the bathroom.  I have to admit, day 9 and if my doc calls about possibly high cholesterol and hormones (just got physical and mid 40s, haven't had a period in 3 months), I'm going to step on it to give her weight if she calls and wants to put me on pills and ask for a follow up at the end of the 30 days.  I never cared about the number.  I just want to get back into my jeans without feeling so bloated and the scale doesn't always match how they fit!  And hoping to kill the hot flashes.  And just feel awesome.

In my 20s, I ate very similar to paleo.  25 years later, I don't feel good in my skin.  So luckily, hubby says he'll eat whatever I am.  I have had no symptoms (planned it for the date when he left for a week just in case) and he got back Sunday.  He's the one getting headaches, bad cramps, frequent bathroom trips.  The only issue I've had is a sweet craving (which is weird).  So I ate some extra berries.  And I've discovered that I really like my coffee strong, dark and unsweet and having a cup every other day or so eased me very nicely off the daily Red Bull.  But the food recipes out there are awesome.  I do miss my glass of wine and will miss the bimonthly desert we indulged in.  But it's all about the fruit if that tempts me to crash.

I've enjoyed lurking and reading everyone's tips and advice.  Good luck!  And thanks.

Archived