1st Whole 30, May 1

RoseMeg451

I am starting my very 1st Whole30 on May 1, and bringing my kids along with me. Looking forward to regulating my blood sugar and having some energy. I would like to loose some weight as well, but that is secondary. I have thyroid issues and I am thinking that I will end up transitioning to the autoimmune protocol after the month is over. I am also breastfeeding my sweet baby boy who is almost 7 months.

Candice, you are our resident pro! How did your 3 previous Whole30's go?

I've been getting myself organized... gathering compliant condiments and such. I plan to spend some time Friday making mayo & salad dressing. I felt a little panicky this afternoon when I learned my favorite dill pickles list sugar as one of the ingredients. I have found some that are compliant though. Crisis averted for now!

Good morning RoseMeg451, Hippychick, jhalpern2, Candice Batenhorst

There's another group starting May 1st as well under the thread name of:

Spring into May Whole 30!

You all are welcome to follow that thread as well.  Some of the people have also completed previous Whole30s or are rounding out a longer time period. 

Today is day 60 for me and I am planning on continuing for another 30 days; making it a Whole90.  

Hippychick, I've found that preparation IS the KEY to it all.  I made like 3 or 4 different soups, separated them into individual servings and put them in the freezer.  I call them my emergency food kit and would pull them out when I was too tired to cook.

It is well worth it.  I am finally sleeping better, waking up without the aid of an alarm clock and lost some weight along the way.

I wish each of you much success in this journey.

Is it wrong that I am already super angry about whole 30 and it hasn't even started yet? I hate to be negative, but I have spent so much time planning, and I don't even have a grocery list together yet. My kids are sick, I haven't slept through the night since the baby was born almost 7 months ago, I don't like cooking, and I'm a picky eater. I stopped buying non-Whole30 food last week and have been eating better, and cooking more, while using up the non-compliant food that is left. Really, I just want a pizza and some ice cream! Grrr!!! Ok, rant over. :-)

I am all ready to start tomorrow, May 1. Got my veggies, some fruit, eggs, steaks, salmon, and chicken. My fridge looks amazing. So colorful. lol

I also swapped out my latte maker for my coffee maker and I didn't buy any milk, cheese, or butter today.  I bought some avocado oil for the first time. Anyone ever tried it? How did you use it? I was thinking a bit for stir fry.

I would really love to have a support buddy if anyone is interested. I know that I will complete this the first time. I love a challenge, and with summer right around the corner, I am so motivated. I will take one day at a time and not obsess over the fact the I had to break up with sugar, my love. We were just not good for each other anymore. I deserve better so I am moving forward to a happier and healthier me.

I wish you all the best in the next 30 days. You can do it...WE can do it!

I just started today as well.  This is my first W30.  My aunt and cousin have been on plan for awhile now and saw such results.  I'm a little nervous - I don't want to screw it up.  I was diagnosed with RA almost 2 years ago and I really believe that this is going to be my answer.  Good luck everyone!!!

How is everybody dong today? I'm having a good day. I had eggs w/asparagus & tomatoes and green tea for breakfast. Spinach & arugula salad w/shrimp for lunch and I haven't been snacky. Haven't made a final decision about dinner yet but I think I'll go ahead and declare Day #1 a success!

This is going to be great. And yes Newbie...I would love to have you as by support buddy.  :D I will be checking in everyday on this thread. I don't want to be annoying but I am going to be posting here, so peeps...get ready! lol

Ok...now I need to go eat a BIG grilled chicken salad with spinach, mushrooms, avocados, green onions, tomatoes, carrots, and maybe 2 big strawberries thrown in for good measure. Topped with my favorite dressing...EVOO. Yummo. Then maybe a walk. Or not. lol

Have a great day everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

So far so good. No cheats and no sugar cravings. Yet. 

My biggest craving is getting on the scale. I am so stinkin curious. My clothes do not feel any different. I do not feel any lighter. I will not get on that scale because I am committed to the 30 days. It's just 30 days, right? Besides, if I don't see a weight loss, I know that I will be disappointed and possibly give up.

Ain't nobody got time for that!!

Almost half way there and feeling good.

would love tot hear about the rest of you.

Carol, same here! All I really really crave is chewing gum and that darn scale! I haven't caved but like you I don't "feel" lighter but I know that's not really the point. I have felt good though... Right up until today. Today I feel a little woozy. Kind of light headed. Not sure what that means or what to do about it. Anybody else feeling weird?

• Administrators

Carol, same here! All I really really crave is chewing gum and that darn scale! I haven't caved but like you I don't "feel" lighter but I know that's not really the point. I have felt good though... Right up until today. Today I feel a little woozy. Kind of light headed. Not sure what that means or what to do about it. Anybody else feeling weird?

Hi hippychick, feeling woozy and light headed could be a lack of sodium (often when we remove all the processed foods we inadvertently end up much too low on sodium and need to salt our food) or it could be the result of not eating enough.

Feel free to post a few days of your typical consumption including portion sizes as they relate to your palm/thumb, fluids, exercise, sleep and stress.  We can take a look and see if anything stands out!

I started the whole 30 on May 1st too. The first week was not as hard as right now. I am dying for sugar! Cookies, brownies ice cream....I have a horrible sugar dragon. Tonight is anoter graduationparty with plates full of beautiful desserts. This is brutal.

In fairness, I am not really hungry and I do feel better but gosh I miss my sugar.

• Administrators

I started the whole 30 on May 1st too. The first week was not as hard as right now. I am dying for sugar! Cookies, brownies ice cream....I have a horrible sugar dragon. Tonight is anoter graduationparty with plates full of beautiful desserts. This is brutal.

In fairness, I am not really hungry and I do feel better but gosh I miss my sugar.

What is your starchy veggie intake like?  Get those sweet potatoes, white potatoes and carrots, beets, squash etc into the oven and make sure you are eating at least one fist sized serving every day.  Are you subbing for your cravings with fruits, dried fruits, bars or nuts?  If so, stop immediately, you are just egging them on.

Make sure you eat before you go.  Even if it means you'll have two dinners.  Make SURE you eat a compliant meal before you go just in case there is nothing there for you except plain green salad.  Being full/satisfied squeezes out the room that the cravings and desires for sugar would take up. 

• 3 weeks later...

So the 30 days are up. How did you do? I did great. I stuck to it like glue. Not much of a weight loss (only 5 lbs.). I didn't incorporate much exercise this round. I sleep better, dream better, my body doesn't feel sore or stiff, my psoriases cleared up, I have a lot more energy, I still want some sugar items but don't crave them, and I feel good because I completed something that I had doubts about.

I have decided that I want to go another 30 days because I need too. I want to learn to cook some different things as I pretty much ate the same food for the last 30 days. I also want to start walking more.

Would love to hear how everyone else did and how you feel. Will you continue on and make it a whole 60?

I /We did it!

The first day/week was pretty brutal because I love oats for breakfast and I love wine for dinner:)  Once I realized that I could have sugar free (uncured with) bacon, I was ok.  So it was omelettes & bacon for Breakfast.  Lunch was easy because I normally eat protein anyway, so that consisted of meat & veggies.  Dinner was the same.  I have never been a big snacker but I did add in nuts and some berries in between meals.  By the second week, I never felt hungry and I was full of energy!  

Bored yet??  Here are my thoughts/results on this challenge...

PROS: 

tons of energy

maintained muscle

no allergy issues this year

skin issues cleared up

lost 10 lbs

felt full

CONS:

missed my wine:P

I think 30 days is too long !!!!!

Anyway, I originally did this because of gut inflammation syndrome, which is now gone.  I will def live a life of whole5!

Blessings

Progress Pics:

tumblr_noxi9lClss1thn5zgo1_1280.jpeg

IMG_2594.jpg

Joyce Vanseters

Archived