Appartment Gardening

Carlaccini

Hi All!

I have finally been inspired to possibly plant and keep a small garden on my apartment balcony.  It will get morning sun (less harsh) and it is slightly shaded as there is a big maple out front of our building (3 storey building)

I am notoriously known for having a bit of a brown/black thumb (I have a tendency of being a plant killer) so I am looking for recommendations on what might be easy to maintain and grow.  I am thinking herbs might be a good start, tomatoes I am not keen on as we get a decent supply from my in-laws and I'm a bit nightshade sensitive.

Open to suggestions!

• Administrators

Check out this post!  

http://lifeonthebalcony.com/edible-plants-you-can-grow-on-a-shady-balcony/

Most vegetables are going to need full sun for longer durations, especially in our more northern climate, the growing season just isn't long enough.  

I'm doing my entire front garden in chard and chives this year!

Thanks Shannon!

I know our back balcony gets full sun most of the time - and we have had a burning problem with any plants out on that side.  It doesn't help that we forget to water them of course..... :ph34r:

I thought the east side (front) would be better as it doesn't quite get so hot on our nice hot n humid summer days.  It will get decent amount of sunlight in the morning, and slightly shaded in the afternoon.

I remember helping my mom take care of our garden when I was a wee one.  I remember enjoying it.  But I think it became too much maintenance later on - so my mom just paired it down to kale and carrots.

• Moderators

Herbs, esp parsley, chives, thyme. You'll feel sooo smug when you can just stroll out and cut your own, fresh -- and you'll feel even more happy when you're not shelling out $4 for a tiny plastic container of them.

Also, greens. Lettuces, arugula/rocket, tatsoi mustard greens - perfect to toss in your salad.

• 3 weeks later...

I do planters of different varieties of lettuce - they like it a bit cooler-  also do planters of basil, rosemary, oregano.  herbs do well in full light. ...  yes - you will love cutting your own !     Lettuces do dry out quickly so take a bit more watering, but it is very nice on your wallet, not having to buy it from the store.

Happy Gardening !

PS  I read somewhere about putting a piece of a sponge in the soil - and that is suppose to help with drying out - I saw no difference when I put sponges in my pots.

Archived