Starting April 29th

jewelsvic

I'm starting tomorrow, April 29. Anyone else starting tomorrow? Looking forward to relieving some nagging physical issues like sinusitus, looming diabetis, hypertension, etc. I separated from my husband about four months ago so live alone and haven't been cooking much since then, so this is a good challenge for me to go back to cooking and eating properly. I believe it can be done for one person just as easily as it can for two. I'm up to the challenge and looking forward to some healthy eating and sanity!

Bherzig, I'm also 58. Never been a mom, but have 2 dachshunds that depend on me. I enjoyed the breakfast I cooked up for myself this morning and the lunch I took to work. Getting ready to cook dinner. No problems so far. Liking this way of eating. Discovered a co-worker on a similar food plan who has lost 30 pounds in the past couple months! Good luck everyone!

Today is my first day also.  Doing ok so far, but I really need to find a way to get more veggies in-that is why I went ahead and made a forum account so I could post and ask about that! 
I have young kids and a husband, but I am the only one in my family doing whole30-so wish me luck.  I think I have a list of dinners that will work for everyone and that is what we are going with!  Glad to hear your first day has gone well. 

Day one was just fine. I am on the road a lot, so must plan to bring fresh fruit veggies to snack on. I have taken early retirement to care for my father. He lives 45 minutes away. Trying to keep him in the home is getting more challenging. I love dachshunds, jewelsvic. I have a bi blue sheltie who's quite the sticktite! Best of luck to you, too, GHR and everyone! We got this!

GJR and Bherzig, I'm sitting here munching on my delicious dinner that I cooked on day 2. That's the best news right there. I had not been cooking for the past 4 months and just in the past 2 days I've cooked my breakfast and dinners both days! Yeah! And they've been delicious. I can do this. Anyway, for both of you, sugar peas (I think they go by other names too) are a great portable and fresh snack and they are so yummy! And they are allowed on the Whole 30. I just cooked some into my stir fried meal.

Today was a little more of a challenge only because I had a Kiwanis meeting at lunch time. I scoped out what they were serving and decided to only eat the fresh salad, which was fine. I had an orange before I went there. But I didn't have any protein at lunch and didn't get a chance to get any until about 3 pm so I was quite hungry by the time I finally had some chicken. Not the best way to eat, but I didn't go off the plan.

On to tomorrow. I hope you both had a great day!

Great job cooking jewelsvic!  I often work about 45 mintues away and I have made up a batch of "egg muffins" (basically some compliant sausage, roasted sweet potatoes, peppers with eggs cooked in muffin cups)-I microwave them in the morning right before I leave and eat them on the road.  Not exactly sitting and focusing on my food, but it gets me what I need to eat for breakfast..  Tonight for dinner was some Aidell's chicken meatballs (costco) with some sauce (I made my own from a can of tomato sauce) and some broiled egg plant and zucchinni (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4739682522/broiled-zucchini-or-eggplant)-they were delicious, even my husband liked them!  Tomorrow is slow cooker pork carnitas and I am looking forward to it. 

Also, awesome job only eating the salad at your dinner.  I just found out I have an offsite in two weeks at a location that has a wonderful chef and always makes good food.  He is pretty accomodating so I hope the lunch meal is something I can either eat or have him modify for me (I will just eat breakfast before I go and snack on the fruit they usually serve). 

Keep it up!  Hope you all have a great day tomorrow! 

PS-Bherzig, we also have a bi-blue sheltie!  :)

GJR--those egg muffins sound wonderful! My biggest challenge is going to be near the end of my 30 days. I'm a Civil War reenactor. I will be camping over Memorial Day weekend, Friday to Monday and will be bringing my food with me. Certainly not an impossible proposition, but I will have to plan very carefully. My tentmate has health issues so she will work with me on this, I'm sure. I figured there was no good time to start because I camp all summer, so I started now when I would have most of the Whole30 done before my first camping trip. I usually cook a big breakfast with eggs, bacon, potatoes, etc. I can still do that without the bacon and just substitute veggies on the grill. Actually sounds great!

You also reminded me of the recipes. I haven't checked them out yet--I've been creating my own. I have a crockpot and will need to start exploring that world again. I really don't want to get bored with food, which is where I was with the way I was eating before the Whole30 because I wasn't cooking. I really am enjoying the food now that I'm cooking again!

Yeah day 3!

Have a great day everyone!

Way to go jewelsvic and GJR! Amazing meals! Yesterday I had a headache most of the day until I went to yoga. Then it disappeared. Thank goodness! This am I had a great veggie omelet with colorful peppers, onions & eggs cooked in coconut oil. YUM! Tonight my hubby and I went to the movie...it was very challenging foregoing the tub of popcorn. I was very satisfied with my mixed nuts with dried cherries and bottled water. Tomorrow we are going to a big wedding, now that will be a challenge! 

I'll be praying that we all stay strong!

Good luck at your wedding!  Let us know how it goes!  Great job at the movies.  I am actually a little terrified to go to a movie theater-I LOVE popcorn.  I am actually taking the kids Tuesday to the theater for a friends party so hopefully I can do as well as you did! 

jewel-camping sounds like that could be a challenge.  Hopefully by memorial day we will be approaching the end of our 30 days and eating this way will be more habit and that will make it easier. 

Popcorn and movies. I don't think I'll go there yet. Proud of you Bherzig! I hope your wedding went well today.

GJR, you can be strong at the theater if you plan ahead! Maybe take some carrots with you.

I had a great day today. Much better than yesterday! And I made the shepherd's pie from the Whole30 book. Wow--it's fantastic! Invited my husband over to try it with me (we're separated but we get along great and are working on our relationship). He enjoyed it as well.

Yea, GJR, camping will be a challenge, but I was talking about it with a friend today and I don't actually think it will be that difficult. We always take fresh food anyway, so I should be able to adapt well. Again, looking forward to the challenge! On to day 5!

Passed the theater ok! (I ended up taking a few cashews/macadamia nuts with me to tide me over-the movie started right at 4:30, which meant late supper).  Tomorrow the challenge is "Muffins for mom" at my son's preschool-they have the preschool kids make muffins and serve their mom a muffin when they come.  I am not really worried about being tempted by the muffins (they are just box muffins) but was more worried about making my son sad if I don't eat it.  I started early by telling him tonight at dinner I probably wasn't going to eat my muffin-I would let him have it.  He seemed pretty excited about that, so as long as it doesn't upset him I know I can do it.  

Hope everyone is still going strong-one week down!  

I was just going to say, I haven't been posting in here everyday, but I am keeping a whole30 log in that forum:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/27152-g-whole-30-1-start-42915/

Can't say I have noticed any drastic changes yet.  I do seem to be sleeping better I think (falling asleep faster and feeling like I am getting deeper sleep).  Anyone else?  

Hello!

The wedding was beautiful and I was not even tempted. The buffet had beautiful roast chicken breast, sautéed green beans with almonds and prime rib. I was served salad with a dollop of dressing on it. I gave my husband the leaves with the dressing, with a little s&p and I was very satisfied. Wine & beer were served, but my unsweet tea was just fine. I kept remembering the line in the book...just one taste or cheat and you have to start over. Not this gal! On day 5 I was dizzy all day. Have you all had any symptoms of die off or withdrawals? You both sound very organized and brave in the kitchen. I have been redoing my landscaping, trying to dodge the storms. Tonight we are having tornados in central Oklahoma.  :o Angels watch over us all!

Oh no, Bherzig, how did you fare on the tornadoes? I hope all is well! GJR, how did the muffin day go?

I have been absent for a few days...been busy. But I've been focused on Whole30! Day 9 in the books! I actually love this way of eating! Swam my mile today (I swim a mile 2-3 times a week) and felt like I could keep on going. I just might do that on Saturday. I do feel really good. I've been sleeping a lot, going to bed earlier at night. Last night someone told me I looked like I was losing weight again. I said I had no idea.

I ordered bacon from US Wellness (Whole30 approved) and it arrived today. I cooked some up for lunch. Yum! Haven't had bacon in a while! It's just in time for my upcoming camping weekend in 2 weeks. Yikes! Two weeks! I didn't realize it was that close! Anyway, I know that eating won't be a problem on this program. I'm loving this. I rearranged my kitchen and finally finished unpacking some boxes. Feel like I'm getting the finishing touches done on moving into my condo. Yes, there's energy happening here.

Hope you both are doing well. On to day 10!

Great job, ladies! So happy for us! The tornadoes did not affect me or mine, thank God, but did devastate some towns previously hit. Just tragic! The weather patterns have been violent and have disrupted everything except my Whole30 plan. I am getting deeper into the book and blogs. It was high time for me to change my lifestyle. My youngest daughter came home for the weekend and asked how I was doing on W30 and I said, "It is really changing how I think and feel about food." I do not see any change in my body or the way my clothes fit, but I know that I will have better health over time. 

When I looked back over our chats, I just read the PS from you, GHR, saying you also have a bi-blue Sheltie. What are the chances of that? Our 'Blue' is a 4 year old male and extremely clingy, as I previously wrote. I wonder if I should get another dog for a playmate. He is our 4th Sheltie in 30 years. We lost our tri named Zeke last September to cancer. Blue is the most high strung, skittish Sheltie we've ever had. We got him at 9 weeks of age from an overloaded breeder. I wondered if he had been abused or if it was just the breeding...? Oh well, can't do much about it now, he has completely stolen our hearts! What is your pup's nature, GHR?

Best of luck to you both! On to day 12!

Hello ladies-how is everyone doing?  Day 15 we are half way there! 

Like you Bherzig, I don't really see much change in the way my clothes are fitting, but hopefully this is changing the way I feel about food.  I really haven't been hungry as long as I eat the reccomended fat, and haven't been craving sugar either, which is great.  The one benefit I see of this is that I fall asleep faster, which is nice. 

Our sheltie, Maizie is just over 10 year (this month is 10 years since we got her).  When she was a puppy she was quite active-never stopped.  She would just run circles around the living room.  Now that she is getting older she has mellowed out quite a bit in her old age.  She had some kind of accident (still not sure exactly what she did) that injured her back leg/hip area and I don't think she has ever fully recovered from that so she is even slower now.  She is not very clingy but is alway very happy when we come home, especially when we come home from a vacation or longer trip.

On the muffin day-I made it through great.  I wasn't even tempted by those muffins and my son was more than happy to eat mine for me.  He wanted me to take a bite, but I just told him I did and he saw a little indent in it and figured that was my bite and took it.  I was much more worried about going to the conference center for work today-it was breakfast and lunch and they make such delicious food there!  For breakfast I just ate breakfast before I left the house and then when I got there I ate a little fruit.  Before lunch I asked one of the workers what we were having and she was asking why I wanted to know so I told her what I was doing.  She had me write down the whole list and said she would make sure my plate didn't have any of that.  We had salad (I got special olive oil and balsamic vinegar since the other dressings had sugar), fillet medallions (mine had no gravy/sauce on it), broccoli (everyone else had a little broccoli and cheesy, buttery mashed potatoes) and I got fruit for dessert (giant lemon creme cake).  The best part of all I think, is that remember that and writing it out I don't even feel like I really missed out.  I kind of would have liked to try the rolls and butter, but thinking back on it I don't really feel like my meal was lacking at all.  So that is a positive I guess. 

Anything else going on with you ladies? 

Day 18! Wow! I haven't gotten on here too much lately. I've been very busy. But food has been really good. Last night, for the first time, I had a thought about eating something sweet. That is really unusual for me since I've never been much of a sweets eater. This was about 9 pm. I had eaten dinner at a Boston Market after a visitation. I researched where to eat and discovered that the turkey breast was safe, as was the steamed veggies. So that's what I ate. But there was no fat in the dinner and I recognized that at the time. So when I started having thoughts for sweets, the first inclination was to have some raisins or pineapple. But I thought that would be inappropriate because it would be giving in to a sweet craving. So instead I had some green olives, which filled in for the missing fat from dinner. That seemed to do the trick and I went to bed a while later satisfied, and kept to the spirit of the program! I love this way of eating!

Great job dodging the sweet craving jewelsvic!  I think maybe the fat/sweet connection is pretty strong-unlike you I have alway had an extereme sweet tooth (To the point I would buy pez refils and eat them because I was craving sugar!).  Since starting this I make sure I get plenty of fat at each meal and I actually haven't had any sugar cravings, and I was just realizing yesterday most "treat" things I like don't even sound that good.  People keep asking me how I can do this, but really, I think as long as I have enough fat it seems I don't get hungry between meals and don't crave things.  I haven't noticed that my clothes are any looser, but if I am dropping or maintaining my weight I am going to keep it up-I can't remember any other time I could just eat and not even think about food again for hours. 

I wish we had a Boston Market around here-that sounds good.  I need to try and venture out a little more and find places I can eat out.  We tend to eat out quite a bit (probably more than we should) but so far since I have been doing this it has only been to 5 Guys, IN-N-Out (where I have to bring my own veggies/fat) or Cafe Rio (Where I have to bring my own meat). 

GJR, funny you mentioned the Pez refills. That's one of the few sugary things that I used to binge on. I embellish little girls purses for craft shows and sometimes I add Pez dispensers, so naturally I have to add Pez refills too. So for a long time I had Pez refills and would buy them and snack on them. Doesn't even intrigue me now. I think I have some downstairs.

About Boston Market, I found its menu by Googling "paleo-friendly restaurants" and several other combinations, such as gluten free. Many restaurants have gluten free menus on their websites. That might help you find something else in your area.

Sound like you two are doing fabulous on the plan! I am sticking to it, but would really like a sweet now and then. I have not read the book completely, but have stayed within the guidelines. I'm happy to report that I have much more energy, sleep sounder and less brain fog. Don't feel any smaller, though. It seems I have been invited to many dinners and parties of late. Like GHR, I eat before and munch on fruit or veggies. I keep remembering the line in the book, "This is not hard. Having cancer is hard." It puts things in perspective. Only 5 days to go! I need to research how to start addiing restricted foods back after the 30 day mark. I'm thinking positively for us!

I successfully made it through a 3-day camping trip! I was the cook for the group and I brought food I could eat. The other two women ate what I cooked or supplemented with other stuff they brought. It was fabulous! I even forgot to take my pills one morning, including Nexium for reflux. Didn't realize it until late that night and never had any heartburn during the day! Maybe this is getting me healthier!

We can do this, ladies!

Archived