Starting April 29th

jewelsvic

That is fantastic, jewesvic! A 3-day camping trip was an amazing test of your stamina! I am so glad you feel healthier. I, too, have cut down on medications and supplements. That is one of my goals, to get nutrients from whole food. I have been going to physical therapy, yoga and message for my joint problems in order to cut down on pain medications. I am starting to feel a little lighter, which will help greatly! I'm so glad we decided to commit to this plan, it's day 29!!! Can you believe it? I have an invitation to a "Wine & Wisdom meeting" on my 30th evening. I am planning to bring kombucha or grape juice and just pour it in my wine glass. Big temptation...but I want to finish the Whole30, not the Whole 29.   ;D   My best to you!

So excited it is day 29!  I am so happy to have done this completely (after tomorrow, which I am positive I can get through ok)!  Great job to both of you too! 

jewel-what kind of foods did  you make when you went camping?  Never too early to start planning for possibly going camping this summer!

Have either of you made plans on what order you want to reintroduce (or are you going to delay introduction)?  I would love to delay and do a slow roll intro but we are going on vacation mid June and I would like to have the reintroduction done so I know if there is anything that especially bothers me before we go rather than feeling horrible while we are on our trip (I am going to try to eat as whole 30 as possible but I know there are some points we will be eating out and I will only be able to do my best rather than 100% whole 30 eating).  I don't really plan on reintroducing legumes, as I don't really like them much to start with (except maybe peanut butter candy and I don't really miss or need that, at least not right away).  I would like to do a soy reintroduction, just with the stuff that has soy in it as an ingredient to make sure I am ok with it.  I am kind of planning that maybe on Friday night I can go out to eat at one of our favorite restaurants and get a salad with out having to bring my own meat!  I am not sure how to incorporate that into the other meals for the day though. 

Ladies! It's Day 30! Woo hoo! I'm so thankful that we could share this journey together! Let's not stop here. I think we should continue to talk and encourage each other and discuss issues. What say you?

GJR--for camping, I was with two other women. I told them I'd cook and I brought the food that I knew I could eat. I cooked breakfast each morning. I had ordered bacon and pork sausage from Wellness Meats a couple weeks ahead of time. So I cooked bacon on two days and the sausage on the third. Then I made scrambled eggs each morning. The first day they were plain. The second day I added sun-dried tomatoes (one of my favorite foods and something I used heavily during the Whole30. I get jars at Costco that are compliant.) The third day I put in the sun-dried tomatoes and threw in the left-over creamed spinach I had made for a pot luck dinner we had on the 2d night of camping. What a taste treat! This is the recipe I used for the creamed spinach: http://followingmynose.com/2010/12/coconut-creamed-spinach-recipe/. I left out the nutmeg, lime, pepper, and chili sauce. Didn't have nutmeg or lime, and don't like pepper and chili sauce.

For lunch, I didn't cook. We had cold meals. I had brought homemade mayonnaise (recipe from Whole30 book) and added it to roasted chicken I had brought on one day. The other two days I made egg salad from the hard-boiled eggs I brought, and threw in the sun-dried tomatoes, which was delicious! I also brought olives and cashews to make sure I got the fat in. I had plenty of fresh veggies to munch on.

For dinner the first night I had brought my "lunch box" filled with my dinner food from home. Second day we had a pot luck. I was able to eat the creamed spinach I brought, some chicken someone prepared over the camp fire that I checked to make sure had nothing I couldn't have, and a dish of sauerkraut and sausage that was prepared in a way I could eat it. Third night, one of my camping partners heated up soup she brought from home. I had told her ahead of time what I could not have in the soup, so she made it compliant. It was delicious!

All in all, it was a great eating experience. I knew this trip was coming when I started the Whole30. I decided that there was never going to be a better time to start since I do Civil War camping all summer. This was our first outing, and I was so entrenched in Whole30 by the time it came that I had no desire to eat the other foods offered to me during the weekend.

As for reintroduction, I'm going to start tomorrow because I go on a week-long vacation on June 9 and want to have the reintroduction mostly done by then. I really want to find out if dairy and/or grains are problems for me. Pre-Whole30 I ate a lot of yogurt and cheese, and bread. I suspect one or more of those cause me problems. The day 31 Whole30 newsletter is supposed to contain instructions for reintroduction, but they are also available in "It Starts With Food" and I'm sure they're online somewhere. I think you start with dairy. I haven't missed sugar or alcohol so don't plan to reintroduce those. And during my trip, I am going to stay as compliant as I can on the road. I'm taking some Rx bars with me for emergencies.

Archived