Kim's Post Whole-30 Log

genghiskhym

Current Reintroduction Plan:

Day 31/Day 1/Tomorrow: SWYPO Hail Merry Chocolate Tart. 5 ingredients:  organic maple syrup, dark cocoa, almond flour, organic extra virgin coconut oil, sea salt. I want to see if this awakens the sugar dragon.

Days 2-3: Whole30

Day 4: Non-gluten grains. This will go something like: certified gluten-free oats, corn tortillas, popcorn, white rice (likely sushi). 

Days 5-6: Whole30

Day 7: Dairy. Something like this: Yogurt, salad with cheese, not sure what, if anything, else.

Days 8-10 Whole30

Day 11 - Gluten. Definitely beer. Probably Bahn Mi. 

Update - Day 15 - Retest SWYPO dessert, maybe something with real sugar.

Impressions immediately after eating the SWYPO chocolate tart: I'm underwhelmed. When I first had this I loooooved it, but now it's just meh. I have a weird feeling in the back of my throat, a slight headache and since I ate it right after dinner I feel really full now. So far no awakening the sugar dragon, in fact, he can just stay hibernating because I'm not inclined to test him again. 

The headache went away last night, but it's back today. I have a hard time believing that it's because of a small amount of maple syrup and cocoa. I wasn't inclined to test it again, but since the headache is back I will test it again. I'll wait until after the other reintros are done. 

Non-gluten grains reintro:

M1: homemade chicken sausage, 1 egg and a bowl of gluten-free steel cut oatmeal 

I enjoyed the oatmeal and felt fine immediately after eating it. I pooped twice within an hour after eating it, which is unusual. I did yoga about 3 hours after meal one and got a dizzy a couple times going from a forward fold to standing.

M2: chicken tacos with sprouted corn tortillas.

Mmmmm. I love corn tortillas. I still feel lightheaded. I took my blood pressure and it's 104/72, which probably isn't low enough to cause lightheadedness. Pesky pain in my chest that went away during Whole30 is back and I have a headache. 

snack: popcorn popped in coconut oil (sneaking it in to Age of Ultron!) 

Lightheadedness went away. Felt good during the movie and really enjoyed the popcorn. The coconut oil makes it buttery. On the way to dinner my wrist starting hurting. I've had tendonitis for over a year and it improved greatly during the Whole30. 

M3: sushi - salmon avocado roll, tuna, snapper and shrimp nigiri

I haven't had sushi in a long time. The fish was very high quality and it tasted great. I really enjoyed eating it. After dinner the chronic back pain I've had for almost a year started pulsing with pain. My wrist still hurt. I didn't feel great like I'm used to feeling now. 

I'm going to have to retest everything, I think.  I have a hard time believing any of the weirdness I'm feeling is because of oatmeal and 2 corn tortillas. I guess I'm stubborn. I wrote that yesterday and today I am stubborn no more. Non-gluten grains really mess with me. 

Woke up today feeling quite crappy. Headache, pain in hip, back, wrist and chest and a general malaise has set in. My voice is raspy and hoarse and I feel like there's something in my throat. I keep having to clear it. My weight was up .8 pounds. My boyfriend, who didn't do the Whole30, but has been eating a primal diet for several months had pad thai last night. First time eating rice noodles and soy. He didn't expect to feel bad at all, but he woke up feeling like crap too.  "I just feel puffy all over." and "I keep asking myself is this the way I used to feel all the time?"

I'm definitely not reintroducing non-gluten grains into my cooking at home and I will avoid them whenever possible when eating out. July is going to be rough with family in town and us going out of town, but I don't want to feel like this so I'll do whatever it takes. I'm really worried about reintroducing gluten grains now.

Back to feeling good today. I'm doing the dairy reintro tomorrow. 

M1: Organic full-fat greek yogurt with cinnamon and blueberries. 2 eggs.

Yummy! I love yogurt and fruit. I felt fine after eating it and it sustained me until lunch.

M2: Leftover mexican-style beef with onions, red pepper and kale. Added 1/4 of an avocado, raw milk cheese and sour cream. Plus a small sweet potato with coconut oil.

That was a lot of food. I'm full, but feel good otherwise. 

M3: Dinner at Vinaigrette. I had THE BEET GOES ON salad with greens, goat cheese pistachios, balsamic roasted beets and a honey-balsamic vinaigrette with scallops. It was delicious. We ended up having dessert too because my boyfriend wanted it. A flourless chocolate torte (eggs, butter, sugar and chocolate) and homemade ice cream (we ensured there were no additives). I felt a little nervous about having that much sugar, but my sugar dragon is still hibernating so I'm very pleased with that. We agreed that Vinaigrette was the best place to have dessert if we were going to do it since they make everything in-house, but we aren't going to make a habit of it. Anyway, dairy...it seems to be okay for me. Yay!

I had one stout on Saturday night. For about 5 minutes I felt like I wanted to drink more than the one, but it passed. I haven't had any unpleasant physical symptoms. I really just wanted to be able to have one beer sitting by the campfire when we go camping. I think I can do that. 

I have decided not to test gluten grains. I can only imagine that I would feel even worse than I did with the non-gluten grains and I don't see any reason to put myself through that. I think the beer might have been okay because of fermentation. That's just a hunch though. 

Next Saturday we're going out to dinner with friends at a winery. I'm going to test non-gluten alcohol.

I might also try to test dairy again this week. My back isn't super great, but it's getting better. 

Last week I had yogurt, blueberries and a chicken thigh for breakfast. I had no discernible reaction to the dairy. I also had blue cheese on a salad that I had at a restaurant and had no reaction. I really think I'm okay with dairy.

I had a glass of red wine on Saturday night. Other than feeling like I wanted to drink more than that one glass I had no discernible reaction to the wine. I'm not a big wine drinker, but it's good to know that I can have a glass of wine without many repercussions. I think I can just let the feeling that I want more pass. 

The day after I had the wine my boyfriend and I split a beer at a baseball game. It was a Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout. I don't feel great today. I woke up with a sore throat that has since gone away and I just feel blah. I don't know if it's drinking two days in a row, something in that particular beer or something else entirely. Additional testing is needed. 

Another discovery - I can't drink two cups of coffee in the morning anymore. I've only ever done it occasionally and never really because I was tired and wanted the caffeine, but simply because I wanted another cup. Now that second cup leaves me feeling jittery and headachy. 

I'll do more testing of various things within the next two weeks then on June 1st I'm starting a Whole 25. I don't quite have 30 days between events where I don't want to be compliant, so 25 days it is.  

Good news. One of the events that was going to prevent me from a full Whole30 doesn't seem that great, so we decided not to go. I can do a full Whole30 instead of a Whole25.  :)

I've been working on a template of what I want to track in my upcoming Whole30 starting May 27th. My first Whole30 was about learning how to navigate the program. This Whole30 will be about refining to get closer to the optimal diet for me. I've seen many improvements, but it's not perfect.

I have developed occasional dizziness and headaches and I would like to see if I can determine a cause for it. I have noticed that since I haven't been eating sweet potatoes, like I did almost every day for 6 weeks, I haven't been dizzy, but that seems counterintuitive. Experimentation is needed!

This is the log template for my Whole302:

M1:

M2:
M3:

Day of cycle:
Back pain:
Wrist pain:
Headache:
Dizziness: 
BM: 
Water:
Exercise:
Meditation:
Sleep:

I decided to start tracking now. 

M1: Leftover ground turkey thighs, swiss chard, 2 eggs and a splash of bone broth

M2: Paleo meatloaf with bacon. Salad with basil vinaigrette. 
M3: Steak salad with parm, tomatoes and blueberry vinaigrette. +3 10oz beers + 3 paleo macaroons (these are too easy to eat so I'm not buying them again.)

Day of cycle: 24
Back pain: mild 
Wrist pain: mild 
Headache: none
Dizziness: none
BM: Yes - first time in about 4 days
Water intake: medium
Exercise: weight lifting - upper body
Meditation: no time today
Sleep: 7:25 

M1: 3 eggs, swiss chard, 1/2 small avocado, banana, coffee

M2: 6 oz sirlion and baked sweet potato

M3: Chicken stir-fry + 3 of those stupid paleo macaroons

Day of cycle: 25

BM: Yes

Exercise: no

Meditation: no

Sleep: 7:00 - was awake in the middle of the night for about an hour.

M1: 3 eggs, swiss chard, radishes, zucchini, sweet potato

M2: salad with chicken thighs + honeydew

M3: burgers + colesaw + 1/2 a beer (I spilled the rest)

Day of cycle: 26

Headache: no

Dizziness: no

BM: yes

Exercise: no

Sleep: 8:10

I'm leaving work early today and going camping. 

M1: almond flour pancakes with butter and maple syrup + chicken and sage sausage 

M2: Beet salad with chicken breast and balsamic vinaigrette. Green Goblin hard cider.

M3: Pork chop with coleslaw + 1 beer

Day of cycle: 27

Back pain: mild. did fine on and after the walk

Wrist pain: none

Water intake: low

Exercise: 1 mile hike

Sleep: 10 hours. Ahhhhhh.

M1: almond flour pancakes with butter and maple syrup + blueberries + homemade turkey and green chile sausage

M2: Salad with grilled chicken breast + herb vinaigrette

snacks: banana + jerky

M3: Pork chop with coleslaw + 1 beer

Day of cycle: 1

Back pain: mild to medium

Exercise: 6 mile hike. This is by far the longest hike in almost a year. I haven't been able to hike because of chronic back pain. I stretched and did yoga after the hike and it felt pretty good. 

Sleep: 10 hours. Ahhhhhh.

M1: almond flour pancakes with butter and maple syrup + bacon (yes, we had these 3 days in a row. they were just sooo good.)

M2: grilled chicken breast, red pepper and onion lettuce wraps + honeydew + kombucha

M3: Blackened Tilapia + roasted broccoli + Hail Merry Paleo chocolate tart + last 3 stupid paleo macaroons + 2 tiny nectarines. Lunch wasn't filling enough after the hike. I really didn't expect to hike 10 miles this weekend and didn't plan extra food. 

Day of cycle: 2

Back pain: medium

Dizziness: every so slight, just once, at the tail end of the hike

Exercise: 3 mile hike. This was overdoing it. My back hurts now. 

Sleep: 9:30 hours

I start my second Whole30 tomorrow. 

M1: 3 eggs with 1/2 sweet potato and radishes sauteed in coconut oil + banana

M2: Salad with chicken breast, tomatoes, nectarines and blueberries, herb vinaigrette
M3: Salad with duck, chili pecans, feta, dried cherries + flourless chocolate torte with whipped cream + 2 beers

Day of cycle: 3 
Back pain: medium 
Headache: short bursts of throbbing
Water Intake: medium
Exercise: none
Sleep: 7:00 - restless - beer and sugar don't make for good sleep. 

I'll be posting in the Whole30 section for the next 30 days. 

Archived