What do you do when all or most of your meal tastes awful?

Espie

Decided to try something new and sautéed my breakfast in some fat I poured off of ground beef last night.

It smelled unappetizing to me, but I tried it anyway. Didn't like the taste at all. Eggs were ok, ate them (2) had a small piece of fruit. But the rest of my protein and veg were just... yuck. I threw them out. So, I didn't skip a meal but I definitely didn't manage a good "template" for breakfast - which I felt at the time and guess I will feel the repercussions of throughout the day.  I did eat a small amount of raw veg and a small portion of nuts - not the best save, I know, but I felt full and didn't want to cook again.

What have you done when you cook something that turns out awful? Eat it anyway? Toss it and hold out until your next meal? Do a quick/easy fix (and if so, what?)? I'd love to hear what others have done, I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who's run into this problem!!

• Administrators

Hmmm...I think sometimes with ground beef it's meat liquid AND fat; I've never felt inspired to use it for cooking, personally.  :(

I rarely throw out food, even when it's turned out yucky.  Nothing has ever turned out inedible and I can usually salvage it with some sauce (toss the whole thing in compliant marinara?) or throw it all into a casserole dish and pour a bunch of whisked egg over it and bake it into a sort of frittata/egg bake/crustless quiche type thing.  

Sometimes, despite my best efforts.....the dog gets it. ;)

If your meal tastes so bad that you don't want to eat it, toss it and make something new. Don't wait until your next meal, don't sub fruit and/or nuts but something like compliant hot dogs, quick scrambled eggs, easy veggies---whatever your quick go to, go for it. If you don't have a quick go-to, it might be worth figuring one out for times like these. I usually have eggs, roasted sweet potato, the above mentioned hot dogs or smoked pork bratwurst and containers of "power greens" (pre-washed baby kale, chard, spinach, etc.) on-hand. These make a meal in about 2 minutes, which is sometimes all the time I care to spend.

I've not used  ground beef fat for cooking eggs, especially if it was from the grocery store.   Have you noticed that grocery store/cooked or grilled ground beef patties don't taste as good the 2nd day for leftovers?  It always seems to taste old quickly because of the grinding process and what it  does to meat.

Steak and eggs?  Yes.

Yes! I have started grinding my own meat over the past 6 months because it tastes so much better (and is FUN), but sometimes price/availability makes ground beef easier. Great points, ML.

I've not used  ground beef fat for cooking eggs, especially if it was from the grocery store.   Have you noticed that grocery store/cooked or grilled ground beef patties don't taste as good the 2nd day for leftovers?  

Great ideas, thank you Mods!

I do not have many pre-prepped compliant foods... yet. Definitely need to make some HB eggs and have more snackable greens on hand.

Tupperware will become your best friend for Whole30 meal prep. :)  The next time you use your oven, throw in some sweet potatoes to roast and/or roast an extra tray of green veggies. Those can cook while your dinner cooks and then you'll have extra veggies for easy throw-together meals.

I like to poach a whack of seasoned chicken breasts in the oven (in water or broth) and shred them up to have on hand for easy salads or any meal, really. You can also do them in a slow cooker, but I find that method makes them really wet. 

I like to poach a whack of seasoned chicken breasts in the oven (in water or broth) and shred them up to have on hand for easy salads or any meal, really. You can also do them in a slow cooker, but I find that method makes them really wet. 

Yes, I definitely need to do this. Yesterday was a big food-prep day for me, encouraged by this thread. 1 dz hard-boiled eggs, 2lbs of grilled turkey burgers (crammed full of bell peppers, onions, and parsley YUM), and big tupperwares (thanks Munkers) full of Cauliflower pilaf and steamed yam. Those things, plus a big bag of sugarsnap peas & other veg, have made my meal life incredibly easier.

Thanks, all!!!

Archived