Corn the vegetable

hsalbert13

Corn is a grain and it's the most popular grain for finishing livestock.  They grow leaps and bounds on corn..doubling their weight.  Grain-fed or corn-finished.

Horses grow rapidly on oats.  Grains finish livestock and humans. 

• Moderators

You know they lie on television all the time. They call beans a vegetable. They are not. Beans are legumes. They call corn a vegetable. It is not. Corn is a grain. It is all part of a conspiracy by the corn and bean marketers to increase consumption of their products by claiming the health benefits of veggies for their second-rate foods. 

"Friends, corn is not a vegetable. It’s not. We are perplexed as to when corn entered the American dietary lexicon as a veggie, because it’s a grain – and a really unhealthy grain at that. Corn is the most sugary, starchy, empty grain there is. You’re better off with white rice – seriously. (Not that we recommend eating a lot of white rice, because brown rice is higher in fiber and protein.)

In fact, we hate corn. Now, we’re not talking about the occasional corn on the cob at the family BBQ. That’s probably not going to hurt anyone. But corn should not make up the veggie section of your meal plate, because it’s a high-glycemic sugarfest. In sum: corn is not a vegetable, and it’s a worthless grain.

And yet, miraculously, it forms the basis of the American diet."

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/corn-is-not-a-vegetable/#ixzz3YznVVGzz

High fructose corn syrup.  I've been allergic to corn syrup since I was knee high to a grasshopper.

Just to make sure ;) - home grown sweetcorn is also off the plate?  There are all frozen and I can stick out 30 days without them, but they should be in general the healthiest alternative if I ever eat corn again?

We have lambs and chooks. In drought we actually do supplement feeding our lambs with oats and they are currently getting oats as they have been crook - but they are mainly grazing - as it is the cheapest option anyhow. And the chooks also have access to some grains, but they prefer hunting for bugs in the garden. So strictly speaking my home grown eggs + meat would be not compliant? I will not cut this out for 30 days, as at least I know what I have put into them, but I was just wondering...

>home grown sweetcorn is also off the plate?

Correct.

>So strictly speaking my home grown eggs + meat would be not compliant?

Incorrect.

The diet of the animal can be whatever it will be. When shopping for commercial meat, grass fed is "better" than corn or other grain fed, but it is not a rule.

Archived