Meat - Fat Content

Sarsh29uk

I begin whole30 ok Sunday and I'm just writing a list of things I may need.

When it comes to meat I know that organic and grass fed but what about fat content. Should I be opting for a less fatty cut of meat?

I'm planning meals that use a variety of different meats, so I know chicken is less fatty than lamb. But if there is a lower fat meat should I pick it.

Forgive me if this is in the book, I'm making my way throught it.

Plus doing anyone know which joint of pork is best for pulled pork?

A shoulder joint is best for pulled pork, according to my butcher, and he hasn't done me wrong yet...

As for what cuts of meat you should buy I'd say a wide variety of types & cuts to keep your meals interesting. You can't really go overboard on fat so I wouldn't be too concerned about choosing cuts that are less fatty - unless it's for eating post work out.

• Moderators

The nutritional value of beef and lamb is superior to that of chicken and turkey, so there is that. I prefer fatty cuts of meat because they are simple to prepare in a tasty fashion and support staying satisfied longer. That said, I also seek to vary my diet by rotating through different proteins. 

If you're eating grass-fed / pastured, then don't worry about the fat content.  Eat the cuts you like to satiety and follow the meal-planning template.  

If you're eating CAFO/Supermarket meat, then it's best to eat the leanest cuts of meat, as the animals' fat is where they store nasties from the hormones and whatever other junk they are given.  Also CAFO meat will have a higher concentration of Omega-6 PUFA (bad fat) because of the crap diet they are fed.

The nutritional value of beef and lamb is superior to that of chicken and turkey, so there is that. I prefer fatty cuts of meat because they are simple to prepare in a tasty fashion and support staying satisfied longer. That said, I also seek to vary my diet by rotating through different proteins. 

Tom where is pork in your nutritional value ladder? We eat mainly all cuts including offal of beef and lamb due to cost, then comes pork, last is chicken or turkey, mainly because of cost and where my local chicken farmer lives. Should I include shop bought kangaroo? I'm never sure how they grow "commercial" kangaroo, but it would be another option to mix it up.

Archived