I just sprained my ankle bad. HELP!

swordchick

Hi fellow Whole 30 athletes, hoping y'all can help me strategize.

I have been living the Whole 9 life since February 2014, with several Whole 30s, 45s, 21s and very clean eating in between. Just finished up a Whole Lent and getting ready to start a 21 on next Monday! I had great results at first and finally figured out how best to fuel my workouts still adhering to Whole 30 principles. I lift and do crossfit 6x/week, and my performance since January has REALLY improved since I finally dialed in the timing of my macronutrient consumption and stopped fearing carbs.

I got a bad ankle sprain yesterday (getting out of my son's bunk bed, not working out lol), and I can't train. I am actually completely non weight bearing at this point and can't work for a couple days. I'm a physical therapist and health coach, and I'm on my feet all day long usually.

I really want to maintain my body composition as much as possible while recovering, while still giving my body what it needs to heal.

I'm wondering if people could weigh in on their personal experiences on recovering from injury while on Whole 30. TIA.

As a fellow Certified Health and Wellness Coach, I would advise allowing your ankle to heal and keep nourishing it with good food, hydration, and sleep hygiene. If you crave a workout, focus on upper body or core work you can do while lying or sitting.

I, too, am a PT and being a long distance triathlete now on the fast track to a hip replacement. So scaling back hours and hours of training has been most difficult BUT I have continued to swim, with a bouy so to not flare up the psoas:), I do an arm bike, and upper body seated ex as I can. I am not NWB but it can be a challenge with a degenerating hip. Just maintaining till I can kick it in gear again. I am shocked at what little I eat to not gain weight during these many months of decreased activity. I guess I was quite the furnace as now I can look at a sweet potato and gain weight. Sigh....

Pay attention now, or really pay later. You know what to do and not do. Get the cardio from arm bike or swimming-endorphins are key.

Okay, girl, I hear you. I have fractured my ankle and was banned from working out for half a year. Not being able to move and workout was insanely challenging for me. Guess what? I didn't gain a pound (I was eating close to the guidelines). Well maybe one or two, I wouldn't know, I don't have scales. When you are injured you actually need more food, so if you do a simple math and think minus extra food for working out plus extra food to heal you will get to the equation of just eating roughly the same way. Also, if you will have cast and crutches this is definitely not a walk in the park, it's actually extremely engaging. Breathe and try to be consistent with the rehab exercises when it's time. Focus on healing foods (bone broth anyone? Gelatin? Wild fish?). You can get onto the meditation train while you are not highly functional. It was a game changer for me. 

Archived