Eating when not hungry

Reba Mae

There are mornings when I am not hungry until closer to noon.  Is it OK to have 3 meals starting at noon, rather than early morning on those days?  It does not happen everyday but an occasional day.

Thanks for your help!

If you are not hungry until noon some days then it's most likely because your hormones are out of whack, and a big part of eating within an hour of wakening is to get them back into whack so I'd say no, it's not okay.... I'd suggest putting together a template meal, eating of it what you can & packing the rest up for later if need be, but you do need to at least try...

• Administrators

What jmcbn said.  Eating within an hour of waking is a hormonal issue and getting this back into balance is one of the largest factors in the magic further on down the road in better sleep, better blood sugar balance (mood, reduction of anxiety etc) and overall better energy.  

Why only some mornings are you not hungry before noon? What are you doing/eating the night before? What's your sleep like?

We have our large meals in the evening. We are farmers and sometimes hubby does not get in to eat until late - like 10:00 p.m.  I usually fix dinner around 6:30, and if he isn't in by 7:00 I eat then.

My sleep has been out of order for a very long time. I take magnesium and 2 Tylenol PM before going to bed. They are helping but does not take care of the problem completely. My brain just does not want to sleep - it keeps going & going & going!!

Any suggestions would be very welcomed!

Thank you 

There are some who may have been used to a feeding window of  1 - 9  PM.    There's nothing to be gained healthwise from eating later in the day.   Zero.  Zip.  Nadda.

When you think about that, all you have to do is flip the switch.   7 or 8  - 5 PM  is much better.  It is imaginary to believe that there are greater gains from eating later in the day.  It's not true.    What are the gains from eating right before you go to bed vs. first thing when your feet hit the floor and you run for your kitchen.  

Meal skippers always have an appetite reckoning.  The appetite comes roaring back at odd times and there is the tendency to overindulge or go on a thrill eating spree when meals are skipped.

Eating within the 1st hour of waking is the finest thing you can do for your health, hormones and blood sugar.  It has changed my life for the positive.    The half has not been told what Breakfast can do for you if you'll start today.

Don't delay.  

• Administrators

We have our large meals in the evening. We are farmers and sometimes hubby does not get in to eat until late - like 10:00 p.m.  I usually fix dinner around 6:30, and if he isn't in by 7:00 I eat then.

My sleep has been out of order for a very long time. I take magnesium and 2 Tylenol PM before going to bed. They are helping but does not take care of the problem completely. My brain just does not want to sleep - it keeps going & going & going!!

Thank you 

Your poor sleep and lack of desire to eat breakfast are intimately linked.  Cortisol is the hormone that should be highest in the morning and lowest at night.  For folks that can't get to sleep it can be because cortisol is high.  Then, morning comes and it's dropped down eventually in the night and your body thinks you should be in wind down mode so it doesn't want to eat.  You have to get this balanced.  

Starting to eat a proper template breakfast within an hour of waking is critical.  Sleep hygiene is critical. Stick with it, plug away and slowly but surely your body will shift.  Adrenal fatigue follows if you continue this way and that is hella-hard to come back from.

Check these two articles for sleep hygiene.

http://whole9life.com/2014/09/improve-your-sleep/

http://whole9life.com/2014/09/improve-sleep-quality/

Thank you 

Your large meal is throwing your sleep patterns out of whack.   

Where is that farmer breakfast?    It's going to take some practice but I understand why the brain is wide awake when you need your sleep.

• Administrators

I'm not necessarily saying that she shouldn't eat a full template dinner at 7pm, sometimes my own dinner comes in around that time depending on how the day has gone.  It's not ideal but it's not a disaster. If she's going to bed any time after around 9:30-10pm at night, she should be fine.  

The thing I'm emphasizing is eating a proper breakfast at a proper time and ensuring good sleep hygiene in order to balance those hormones.  Some people have schedules that don't allow dinner at 5pm and that's totally fine, it's their context.  :)

Yes, I knew that's exactly what you were saying, Lady Shanny.  She still has to eat template suppers but that Breakfast has to be there in the morning.  Regardless, if she still eats supper at 7:00...those suppers will be more in balance with the rest of the Whole 30 in the pocket zone.   Breakfast.  Lunch.   Dinner.

It will help the sleeping patterns.

Well, do I start the Whole 30 over since I did not eat breakfast?

I have not had any food off limits in these 5 days.  But, if you think it would be better to start again I am very willing to so.

Again,

Thanks!!

I get up usually between 6:30 & 7:00. There are mornings I sleep in a little later. 

We do not go to bed until 11:30 - 12:00 most nights. I realize that is late but some days that is "our time together", when hubby does not get in till late.

No, I am 69 and officially retired!! When I taught I was up at 5:00 every morning so I am enjoying getting up when I want to - not when I have to! LOL

But, I have found that I can sleep only about 7 hours on a regular basis. I do not set an alarm most mornings, just wake up naturally.

I was doing all of our bookkeeping - besides farming my hubby also sells farm seed - until last year when I gladly trained our DDIL to do it. I have not missed it a bit!!

Where is Wildwood Meadow? It sounds wonderful!

Archived