SoDelicious Unsweetened Vanilla Coconut Milk & Deli Meat

heyitsmaya

Hi everyone! 

I am on day 18 of my first Whole30. It's going pretty well so far. As I've been getting closer to the end than the beginning, my anxiety about slip ups is rising. I would HATE to have to start over at this point, after all of my hard work. So, that being said, I am wondering if the coconut milk I bought from Sprouts last night is compliant. It is the So Delicious brand Unsweetened Vanilla Coconut Milk. I've seen the So Delicious brand Unsweetened Coconut Milk get the green light on the forums, so I am wondering about the Vanilla. I hope it's okay! The ingredients are: 

Organic Coconut Milk (Water, Organic coconut cream)

Natural Vanilla Flavor

Calcium Phosphate

Magnesium Phosphate

Guar Gum

Xanthan Gum 

Vitamin A Acetate 

Vitamin D-2

L-Selenomehionine (Selenium)

Zinc Oxide

Folic Acid

Vitamin B-12

And, another question. I looked through all of Sprouts fresh cut deli meat to find one without sugar, and the Roast Beef is the only one that seems compliant. But, I am not sure about some of the ingredients. Can anyone help me? 

Beef

Contains no more than 12% of a solution of Water, Salt, Potassium Lactate (is this dairy?), Sodium Lactate (?), Caramel Color (?), Garlic Powder, and Spices

Thanks in advance for helping out my anxiety!

• Administrators

The almond milk is fine but we discourage drinking it.  Using it for your coffee or a recipe would be fine although I'm not sure that the vanilla flavouring would mesh very well with savoury recipes.

The meat is not compliant as caramel color is sugar.

The coconut milk is just to splash in coffee. So, I'm hoping that the small amount that I will be having will be okay-ish. 

Also, ew about the Potassium Lactate! Definitely returning the roast beef today. Sad :( I'll keep hunting for a compliant lunch meat. I'll scour the forums, because I'm sure brands have been recommended. 

Thanks for your quick responses! You guys are awesome. 

The coconut milk is just to splash in coffee. So, I'm hoping that the small amount that I will be having will be okay-ish. 

Also, ew about the Potassium Lactate! Definitely returning the roast beef today. Sad :( I'll keep hunting for a compliant lunch meat. I'll scour the forums, because I'm sure brands have been recommended. 

Thanks for your quick responses! You guys are awesome. 

We very specifically do not recommend brands, and we do not want you to read a brand name that you see on these forums and think it is automatically all right. In each and every case, you will need to check at your individual market. If you are purchasing from a deli counter, you will need to ask to look at the packaging for the hunk o' meat that you want to buy from. There are regional variations between brands, and some brands will have a sugar-filled version at one store in my town and a sugar-free version of the same item at another store in my town. Don't count on store workers to know what names sugar is given in any ingredient list, you will need to do that detective work yourself. For deli meats, expect the unholy trinity of sugar, soy, and carageenan to be in everything, even/especially the ones labelled "healthy" or "natural" or "organic."

Compliant versions of deli meats are notoriously difficult to find. Can you just slice off a piece or three of a roast, or of some chicken, or take along a hamburger or some meatballs? When it really is just a hunk o' meat, then you know the only other ingredients are the ones you add yourself.

Also, is there a reason you can't use plain coconut milk from a can? There are many compliant versions out there (don't buy anything with an ingredient ending in -sulphite and you'll be fine). Many Whole30ers who love coffee swear by the stuff. It's healthy and good for you.

Prosciutto is usually the only compliant sliced meat that I can find. And believe me, I've SCOURED my local markets including Whole Foods, Sprouts, Krogers and all the other major grocer story chains in my area. I found compliant Apple Gate Farms roast beef once, but it was $8 and was enough for one, maybe two, meals. So not worth it.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived