Downturn on day 18

heyhc

Hello! First whole30, day 18. I haven't had too much trouble, and I've been enjoying it for the most part. No terrible side effects, no bursts of energy either. My tummy has shrunk a bit, and I have been feeling pretty good.

But suddenly, I am totally exhausted. My period is super late--this cycle is 42 days long so far. My eyes are itchy, watery, and red today. I am bloated and having some digestive discomfort. I have eczema and chronic dry skin, and my skin is actually itchier than usual right now, rather than improving.

Maybe it's just a fluke and it'll pass. But I'm wondering if any of the foods I've introduced are being received poorly. I never eat eggs as often as I have been during the whole30; I skipped them yesterday, and felt quite good all day. I had them this morning and now I feel awful. I've also discovered almond butter for the first time in my life, and have been seriously enjoying it. But maybe a little too much? 

I'm a 26 yr old graphic designer (read: desk job), 5'4", 165lb -- I've gradually gained 25-30 lbs over my "happy weight" since quitting dance and going to college. I am tired ALL the time, which is the biggest reason for my whole30. I've had bad bouts with depression, which has been greatly helped by wellbutrin, but the tiredness remains.

Then I had a "crash" in the fall where I felt like I was totally falling apart, health-wise (aches, pains, chills, exhaustion, migraines, nausea, constipation, a tight feeling in my throat, dizzy spells, heart racing, eyebrows falling out, an extreme case of dry skin and dandruff, calf cramping, restless leg syndrome, the list goes on...), with no explanation other than stress--but I wasn't even extraordinarily stressed at the time. I got some labs done and a doctor cited subclinical hypothyroidism as a possibility but nothing was confirmed one way or the other, she just said we should "keep an eye on it." Other than that, everything looked "fine;" she suggested I supplement with a little b12 and vitamin d, and sent me on my way.

It all subsided after another few weeks but it was quite scary and weird. Then a nutritionist/chiropractor, after looking at my labs, said that my issues were likely stemming from bad diet and wonky blood sugar (she didn't like my A1C, though the doctor never mentioned it). That's how I ended up at whole30. 

Just putting out feelers for some opinions or wisdom. Should I ride it out and evaluate how I feel at the end of 30 days? Should I try cutting eggs, almonds, or anything else? 

Thanks so much for reading! 

Sleep schedule? Hydration? Physical activity?

>. I never eat eggs as often as I have been during the whole30; I skipped them yesterday, and felt quite good all day. I had them this morning and now I feel awful.

No need for eggs, so ya, keep them off the menu and see how you do.

> I've also discovered almond butter for the first time in my life, and have been seriously enjoying it. But maybe a little too much?

Ya, one of the most common "eaten to excess" foods for many people.

• Moderators

As Kirkor noted, there are several reasons you might be feeling tired. What you are eating is only one of them. If you provide a report of the past few days meals, we may notice you are missing starchy veggies that are important for maintaining energy for most people. 

Archived