Bratwurst with cabbage and carrots

Aberrantatavia

Sam's Club has bratwurst with no fillers or things in them, it does just say spices on the ingredients, but the same brand of Italian sausage has sugar and soy listed so I think I'm ok with this. Commercial pork which I try not to indulge in too much, but I really love this bratwurst. I usually cook it in Guinness, and I really missed the Guinness with this actually, but it was still delicious when it was done.

I took about 10 bratwurst and sauted them in coconut oil in a cast iron skillet until they were cooked. Took them out of the pan and set them aside. Added 2 sliced sweet onions. Next time I'd use more. Sauté until golden and add a couple handfuls of baby carrots and sauté for another few minutes, maybe 10. Then I added half or so of a large bag of cole slaw cabbage mix. Cover and simmer for another 15 minutes or so. Then I stirred it up, added a few shakes of coconut aminos, a decent dose of horseradish mustard, and some salt and pepper. Stir that in and then cut the bratwurst into chunks and add it back to the pan. Stir and simmer for a bit longer until the carrots are cooked through.

Sounds yummy. My Mom is German (moved here as an adult in the 1960s). I am picky about my bratwurst, but I might have to try and find some soon. There is a local butcher in my hometown that specializes in German sausages. I'm visiting my Mom again soon and may just have to stop by there and ask about the ingredients in their brats. The place is actually used to have "Pork Store" on the sign but now they sell other meats too. :)

I never even had bratwurst until my sister came home from being in Germany for a few years and introduced me to them. I am hooked on good ones! The ones at Sam's are actually really good, they are the only ones that seem to have the right flavor.

Hope the butcher has some compliant ones for you! Call ahead, if they make their own stuff, maybe he will accommodate you?

Archived