day 2.....birthday party.....unsupportive family

I am bound and determined thay today is the day I am starting my whole 30. I'm off to a good start but I face a challenge right out of the gate.

Tommorow we have a family birthday party to attend. My sister has lost 70 pounds by eating less and working out. I am not like her....I struggle and have lost nothing and have a lot of problems with emotional eating due to anxiety and major carb cravings due to medication for said anxiety. So anyways tommorow the plan is pizza and birthday cake. I can already hear the critiques of any food that I bring. "Well your sister lost weight eating everything....why can't you". " your sister eats pizza...why can't you". "Oh just have a piece of cake". I know paleo pizza is SWYPO so I'm not sure what to do. I plan on just saying no to desert because I will say full....but not sure what to do about dinner. Any been there done that ideas? And not going is not an option...my neice is only 9 and I won't punish her by not going.

• Administrators

Can you tell them that you are on an elimination diet and are trying to sort out some stomach troubles?  If they know about your anxiety and the meds, can you tell them that there is good evidence that this particular elimination diet can weed out anxiety issues?

By not focussing on the weight loss factor but on your overall health, it would be difficult for them to compare you to your sister since there are no two people with the exact same health issues/concerns.

Bring your own compliant meal to eat. Make some compliant meatballs with enough to share, and bring along a salad.  Consider also bringing some fruit salad as well to have while others have cake.

You can do this!

Make a list of all the reasons you're doing the Whole30 to help motivate you.  And perfect saying things like, "No thank you" and "This is what I'm choosing to do for my health and my body."

• Administrators

Haha, sure you can!  ;)  But maybe try going into it with a really positive, light "it's no big thing" attitude. Assume that they will be totally fine with your explanation.  Also, once you make whatever statement you're going to make, change the subject to something fun and light; the great weather, the gorgeous flowers, their upcoming vacation plans, the niece's bday etc.

You should go to the party and enjoy yourself.   You are not your sister.   

I am sorry to hear that comparisons are made but hey, that's families for you.  Yes, those closest to us can say the most insensitive things.  Upon releasing weight,  I have lost count of the number of people in my family who've said to me the most belittling things.  Usually, I get..."Whoa, you were as fat as - - - -."  I find this very insulting.  It would be better if they would shut their mouthes but they do not.

So, before, during and after....you have to be ready for all of those comments from the Peanut Gallery.

You're looking at tomorrow.  Go to the party.  Forget how your sister goes about it.   All you can do is mind your own weight and leave everyone else out of it.  

You're at the very beginning.   There's always another birthday party, holiday, or some sort of celebration coming around the corner.   They will never end.   At this particular time in your life, if you mean business...you have to put your foot down and make a strong declaration to yourself....that you've had enough and the buck stops here.  

If someone tries to force a piece of cake down your mouth...tell them, "Well, you're not the one who has to live in my body."    The best course of action is not tell them anything about what you're doing.   Help out with the clean-up.  Jump up and empty trash,  any kind of distraction while others are enjoying cake. Pick up wrapping papers, refill drinks.  You'd be amazed at how easy it is to distract others and yourself when you become extra helpful around the kitchen.   Families love that.  You can do it.  

Eat right before you go and take a big bottle of water with you. While you there, avoid sitting around and mingle as much as possible by talking to others about them. This will keep your mind off the fact that you aren't eating the junk they are and you will be getting caught up with everyone.

Archived