Maggie's Whole30

maggief

DAY 1

So excited to be starting my first Whole30! I'm wrapping up Day 1 feeling really good and hoping the momentum of the day will keep me going :-)

This morning I took "before" measurements and photos, which I had been really dreading. In general, I try to hide in photos, whether that come in the form of dark, baggy clothes or standing behind someone or something. But when I took my "before" photos this morning in nothing but my underwear, I was pleasantly surprised that they actually didn't match the awful image I have of my body. I'm eager to see how the next month impacts my self-esteem/body image, since clearly it needs some work!

Weight: 160.8#

Body fat: 33.6% (measured using a bathroom scale, so it's prob not accurate, I'm just curious to see if it changes in one direction or another.)

Waist: 32 inches (narrowest point) // 37 inches (widest point)

Bust: 34.5 inches // 38 inches

Hips: 40.5 inches

Thigh (left): 22.5 inches

Calf (left): 15 inches

Shoulders: 44 inches

I don't have any rock solid goals for the month. My weight has been plateaued at 160 since May; as much as I'd like to see that number go down, I'm more eager to see the inches drop, especially in my waist. We'll see what happens. For now, I'm putting away the scale and measuring tape until Oct. 1 :-)

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DAY 1 cont'd:

And here's what I ate today:

Meal 1 (late bfast/early lunch) -- ground grassfed beef with sauteed green veggies (spinach, swiss chard and mizuna), strawberries, homemade guacamole with raw veggies, black decaf coffee

Meal 2 (dinner) -- burger and fried egg over green salad (no dressing), sliced cabbage with vinegar

Snack -- peach, couple spoonfuls of coconut butter

DAY 2:

Last night I had some trouble falling asleep, tossed and turned for about 3 hours before finally zonking. Not a great start to tackling my goal of sleeping more... Anyway, I realized I hadn't actually written down any goals for the month aside from simply following the Whole30 guidelines, so I spent some time thinking about that this morning. Here's my list:

-- Nutrition: I will eat real food for every meal, and not allow a snack of technically Whole30-approved munchies to turn into a binge that I will then call a meal. (Note to self: Succumbing to the siren song of a 14oz container of almonds is not the equivalent of eating a meal.)

-- Sleep: I will spend at least 8 hours each night in bed, in the dark, with no electronic devices. (Hopefully most of those hours will be spent sleeping, but I'd honestly be happy just resting with my eyes closed in the dark.) This means that on work nights, I'll have to be in bed by 8:30 p.m. Yeesh.

-- Stress management: I will take a yoga/meditation class at least 2x this month. I will get a one-hour massage before the end of the month.

-- Fitness: I will practice pullups (with bands) 3x each week. (My long term goal is to get an unassisted pullup before the end of the year.)

-- Personal growth: I will attend at least one paleo/nutrition/health event this month. (I have two on my calendar -- a Paleo "meatup" here in D.C. and a Balanced Bites workshop in NJ on 9/22, which I am super excited about! Will anyone else be there??)

DAY 2 cont'd:

What I ate:

Meal 1: roasted chicken breast, apple, couple tablespoons coconut butter

Meal 2 (PWO): iced decaf coffee, thai chicken curry with yellow summer squash, banana

Meal 3: grassfed beef chili, sweet potato, broccoli slaw with homemade mayo

Meal 4: salad of mixed greens with chicken breast, beets, chopped green apple, red wine vinegar, peppermint tea

Exercise:

I walked about 5 miles and did the crossfit wod "Karen," which is 150 wall balls for time. Finished in 13:40 with a 14# med ball, shaved 95 secs off my prv time.

Success of the day:

I went to the movies tonight and really wanted the dark chocolate/diet coke treat that's become habit. Felt a bit odd at first to get just a bottle of water, but once the film started I forgot all about it :)

Hey Maggie,

This is a great idea - putting all of your meals in one place. I think I'll do the same. Thanks! :)

Thanks rubarb! I really want to feel accountable for all my choices, and hopefully by logging everything I eat I'll be able evaluate my successes/shortcomings at the end of the 30 days. Are you logging your meals too? Please share the link if you are :)

DAY 3:

Three days down, 27 to go! Feeling a bit headachy and tired right now, but hopefully it's nothing a good night of sleep can't help.

What I ate:

Meal 1: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil, sauteed onions and peppers, nectarine, couple tablespoons coconut butter

Meal 2 (PWO): decaf coffee, grassfed beef chili, raw veggies (cherry tomatoes, celery, yellow summer squash, cucumber), "fruit salad" (nectarine and grapes)

Meal 3: bun-less burger, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, guacamole

Exercise:

Today I practiced my pullups, then did a workout at my crossfit gym. The strength portion was 3 sets of 8 back squats (80%), followed by a workout of jumping rope and kettlebell swings. Today was my 1-year anniversary doing crossfit and it's amazing to think back at where I started. It's natural to focus on the things we still want, everything we haven't accomplished, all the ways we fall short, but I'm learning it is so important to look back and give ourselves credit for everything we have achieved.

Goodnight everyone!

Good job on getting the pull-ups done. I've been working on it for about a year with my personal training and have yet to complete one solid pull-up. In time, I'm sure.

Looking forward to your Day 4 report.

Thanks! I've been working on my "Project Pullup" since April. The progress is soooo slowwww. I just keep telling myself that for 28 years, I never used these muscles in this way, so I can't expect to suddenly be able to do a pullup overnight (or even in a year, probably lol). Slow progress is better than no progress :)

DAY 4:

So, I'd been nervous about my first day at work while on the Whole30. The past three days had gone smoothly, but I was anxious about feeling tired, cravings, headaches, and all of the other not-so-fun symptoms I was waiting to just hit me. As expected, I was pretty tired and not at all ready to get up when the alarm went off at 4 a.m. But once I got to the office, warmed up my breakfast (yay leftovers!) and got started, the day kind of fell into place just like any other. I even managed to go to the doctor's office for some bloodwork, do laundry, cook a little bit, and go for a walk. No catastrophes, no major struggles, no odd cravings, and overall a productive day :) I'm still feeling really drained though, so I think I'll have an early dinner and get to bed.

What I ate:

Meal 1: grassfed beef sliders, sauteed mixed greens, banana, decaf black coffee

Meal 2: leftover chili over squash

Meal 3: broccoli slaw with mayo, small slice of crustless "quiche" with turmeric-spiced beef and summer squash (a really easy egg bake I whipped up this afternoon as a work breakfast alternative)

Meal 4: I haven't had dinner yet but this is on the menu for tonight -- Leftover curry, sweet potato, apple, coconut butter

Exercise:

2-mile walk

DAY 5:

Last night was the best sleep I've had all summer, maybe even longer. It was a solid 9 hours, and I slept straight through. Normally I get up a couple of times to use the bathroom or for no reason at all. And even when I'm on vacation or determined to sleep in on weekends, I get restless and can't sleep more than 6 or 7 hours, no matter how tired I feel. Today I woke up refreshed, a bizarre feeling lol. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but fingers crossed that there's a repeat tonight!

Last night was the best sleep I've had all summer, maybe even longer. It was a solid 9 hours, and I slept straight through.

I'm so jealous. Still waiting for that to happen.

Me too, very jealous! I extended my W30 another 30 days, I'm somewhere around day 45, and I don't think my sleep has ever improved. Good for you Maggie!

I'm so jealous. Still waiting for that to happen.

Me too, very jealous! I extended my W30 another 30 days, I'm somewhere around day 45, and I don't think my sleep has ever improved. Good for you Maggie!

Ha, please don't be! I have such a history of insomnia and bad sleep that I'm not willing to get my hopes up over this. I honestly wonder if it's the nutrition or making a concerted effort to sleep without distraction. Either way, I'll take it :)

Wishing you both a lovely evening and restful sleep!

DAY 5 cont'd:

What I ate:

Meal 1: crustless quiche with squash and ground beef, peach, black decaf coffee

Meal 2: beef sliders, sauteed greens

Meal 3 (less than an hour after Meal 2, I was so hungry!): tuna and broccoli slaw with homemade mayo, coconut butter, nectarine

Meal 4 (PWO): banana, leftover chili, 1/2 sweet potato, licorice tea

Exercise:

Practiced my pullups (with bands) and hang power cleans, then a 15-min amrap of 400m run, 20 step ups, 20 air squats. I finished 3 round plus a run, using the 24" box. (Unfortunately lost some time stopping to tie my shoelace in the first round.)

DAY 6:

It was a good day W30-wise, but I had a random encounter that has left me feeling kind of down. I passed a homeless man on my way to the gym today, and when I declined to give him money, he called me a "fat a**." I know I shouldn't care, I know that his words don't mean anything, but for some reason I just can't get his words out of my head. Sigh.

Sleep: Happy to report this was solid again. I think I got about 8.5 hours :)

What I ate today:

Meal 1: crustless quiche with ground beef and squash, peach

Meal 2: chili, 1/2 sweet potato, yellow squash, apple

Meal 3 (PWO): rotisserie chicken, sauteed mixed greens, banana

Exercise:

2-mile walk.

Pullup practice.

The strength portion of today's CF workout was strict presses (55#) and walking lunges (65#). That was followed by a 6-min row at 80% effort, four mins of rest, then a 6-min amrap of 15 push presses and 20 walking lunges (3 rounds + 17 @ 45#).

Onward to Day 7!

Hey Maggie, you don't mention what your pre and post WO snacks are... They are supposed to be like mini meals, in addition to your regular meals... just wondering if you are getting enough to eat. Your activity level seems to merit extra food... just wondering??

Hey Maggie, you don't mention what your pre and post WO snacks are... They are supposed to be like mini meals, in addition to your regular meals... just wondering if you are getting enough to eat. Your activity level seems to merit extra food... just wondering??

Hi Lola! So, because of the way my schedule shakes out during the week, I don't eat a pre-workout snack because I'm still full from lunch and my post-workout meal is dinner because I eat it so soon after. I start work at 5am, I eat breakfast around 7:30/8am, lunch anywhere between noon and 2pm, a mid-afternoon mini-meal if lunch was early and I'm feeling hungry, workout at 5pm, then dinner at 6:30 and bed at 7:30/8pm. I haven't been hungry outside of mealtimes and I eat large enough portions to feel full and satisfied, so I don't think I'm eating too little. But maybe? I think years of counting calories, carbs, points, etc. have messed with my sense of what it means to eat "enough" (versus too little or too much) haha. Are there signs apart from hunger and tiredness that I should pay attn to? Thanks Lola!

I figured you had it all wrapped up, you are very organized and seem to have your plan figured out. I was just curious because of your activity level. I think if you are feeling great, then you're probably doing what your body needs, the only other sign I would look for is your recovery from your work outs...

Keep up the great work. I really enjoy your posts, you keep me motivated to be more active...

Archived