Maggie's Whole30

maggief

Hey Maggie,

I wouldn't pay too much mind to the homeless person, although his comment was pretty rude. That reminds me of a time when a couple of construction guys whistle called me (like I was an animal or something). I ignored them and went on my merry little way. As I passed, they called me b*&@!. Really?!? Some people have no clue.

I'm glad to see that you're doing well on the program including exercise. Since starting the program, I haven't exercised at all. Prior to that, I was going through a hard workout routine with my trainer and managed to build quite a bit of muscle. After one year, I was finally making progress. Then I started eating like crap in the evenings, and well...here I am.

I really need to get my arse back into the gym. That's when I excel the most. When I have good exercise and healthy eats together. When I stray on one, the other usually follows suit.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Maggie,

I wouldn't pay too much mind to the homeless person, although his comment was pretty rude. That reminds me of a time when a couple of construction guys whistle called me (like I was an animal or something). I ignored them and went on my merry little way. As I passed, they called me b*&@!. Really?!? Some people have no clue.

I'm glad to see that you're doing well on the program including exercise. Since starting the program, I haven't exercised at all. Prior to that, I was going through a hard workout routine with my trainer and managed to build quite a bit of muscle. After one year, I was finally making progress. Then I started eating like crap in the evenings, and well...here I am.

I really need to get my arse back into the gym. That's when I excel the most. When I have good exercise and healthy eats together. When I stray on one, the other usually follows suit.

Hey, thank you for sharing that -- I can't imagine what goes through people's heads when they say mean things. The motivation behind being rude, especially to strangers who are just trying to walk down the street, is simply beyond me. Oh well. You're totally right, they have no clue.

I'm exactly the same when it comes to eating and exercise! Some people like to treat themselves after a hard workout, but I'm the opposite -- rest days, when I'm not specifically eating to fuel/recover from a workout, are where I get tripped up and convince myself that a scoop of ice cream won't hurt... Today is a rest day, good thing I don't have any treats in the house lol! What's your favorite workout/activity? Just get back into it slowly and focus on having fun with it :)

So I spent a few minutes doing the W30 Daily homework, a worksheet on self-reflection on Day 7. I'm going to log my answers here because I'm positive I'll lose the worksheet before the day is out lol. (The prompts are italicized.)

I find myself craving sugar, bread, or sweets when... I'm actually not craving any of these things, yay!

Sometimes, I think I'm hungry but I'm actually just... Looking for a distraction.

When I'm craving sugar, I used to eat... an entire bar of Lindt 85% dark chocolate.

During my whole30, I'm going to reach for... an actual meal, sparkling water, tea (licorice tea totally kills my nightime choco craving).

When I eat sweet food like fruit, I notice... when I eat fruit I feel satisfied, not consuming any other sweet foods.

When I eat salty foods like nuts or olives, I notice... that I want more and more. Nuts especially get out of control super fast, so I'm avoiding them this month.

I thought I'd miss eating/drinking... dark chocolate, cream/grassfed butter in my coffee... But I actually don't miss them at all. (Well, sometimes I still miss the cream lol.)

I didn't think I'd like eating ... breakfast (I was doing IF for several months before W30) ... But I'm actually enjoying it/them.

I have the hardest time sticking to the Whole 30 when I'm feeling ... sad or defeated.

I have the hardest time sticking to the Whole 30 when I'm in ... with a group of ppl I don't know well ... social situation or setting.

When I eat a good breakfast, I feel ... satisfied.

When I prepare a healthy meal from scratch, I feel ... accomplished.

Since I started my Whole 30, I've noticed:

-- That my exercise or sports performance... no noticeable change

-- That my sleep... is much improved. It's easier to fall asleep and stay asleep.

-- That my energy levels.. are much more even and sustainable.

-- That my emotions... no noticeable change (my mood swings/emotions improved a ton over the last year of eating paleo).

-- That my recovery after exercise... no noticeable change.

-- That my body feels... no noticeable change.

-- That my clothes fit... no noticeable change.

-- That my condition (skin issues, allergies, digestive distress, etc.)... My acne got worse at the beginning of the week, and is finally starting to clear up, which I'm taking as a sign of improvement :)

DAY 7:

Sleep: 8 hours :)

What I ate today:

Meal 1: crustless quiche with ground beef and squash, peach

Meal 2: the last of the leftover chili, zucchini

Meal 3: can of salmon with homemade mayo, apple, bottle of kombucha

Meal 4: grassfed beef sliders, sweet potato "fries" (tossed in plenty of coconut oil and baked in oven), avocado slices, raw veggies (baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, celery) with salsa, grapes

Exercise:

Happily took a rest day today. Walked a couple of miles and spent most of the afternoon on my feet cooking for a small dinner party. (I made plenty of W30-approved options, so I wasn't tempted by the chocolate, cheese, wine or beer that my guests brought. A really fun, successful night -- even without chocolate lol.)

DAY 8:

Wow, Day 8. I kind of can't believe it. I'm so stoked that the first week, which was supposed to be the hardest time, was actually pretty painless and delicious :)

The "temptation" I'm struggling with right now is actually the scale. I really want to weigh myself, or take measurements, "just to see" how the W30 is going. I didn't realize how much importance I've given these numbers and how linked they are to my feeling of success. I resisted the urge to weigh-in this morning -- and not just because I stashed the scale in an inconvenient location lol. I think it's time to re-read last week's post on ways to measure health besides the scale... http://whole9life.co...w-health-scale/

DAY 8 cont'd:

Sleep: 8 hours

What I ate:

Meal 1: decaf coffee, crustless quiche (filled this one with grassfed ground beef, roasted eggplant, tomatoes, and onion), banana

Meal 2: can of salmon with homemade mayo, raw celery and baby carrots, peach

Meal 3: grassfed beef sticks (steve's paleo), raw zucchini, kombucha

Meal 4: slow cooker pork with onion, carrot and apple

Exercise:

Walked a ton for work, no formal training.

I tried Kombucha for the first time not too long ago and rather enjoyed it. I bought a second bottle (a different flavour) and enjoyed that too. I decided to do some research on it and came across some articles that scared me from having again. I've seen some people mention that they drink it here, so I'm wondering if I should introduce it again. Some people have had adverse, and often serious, effects after drinking Kombucha.

DAY 9:

Sleep: About 7.5 hours

What I ate:

Meal 1: decaf coffee, crustless quiche, 1/2 avocado, apple

Meal 2: pork roast, raw mushrooms and cherry tomatoes with balsamic, celery and baby carrots with salsa, peach, nectarine

Exercise:

walked about 4 miles, kundalini yoga

I tried Kombucha for the first time not too long ago and rather enjoyed it. I bought a second bottle (a different flavour) and enjoyed that too. I decided to do some research on it and came across some articles that scared me from having again. I've seen some people mention that they drink it here, so I'm wondering if I should introduce it again. Some people have had adverse, and often serious, effects after drinking Kombucha.

I just tried it for the first time on Friday, so I'm definitely not an expert. I didn't experience any weird effects from the bottle I had though.

Your Day 8 quiche sounds yummy!

Some people have had adverse, and often serious, effects after drinking Kombucha.

hey pinkdiamonds, what were the side effects?? I haven't heard of anything adverse from drinking Kombucha, and was going to buy some this week to try it... now I'm not sure if I should??

Uff, Day 10 isn't off to the best start. My clothes have started to get really tight over the last couple of days. I actually just had to unbutton my pants because I am so uncomfortable. Not a good look at the office! Sigh. I'm hoping that I'm retaining water, maybe there was more salt than I'm used to in one of this week's recipes, or maybe because I ate more raw veggies than usual this weekend... I can't help but worry that at this rate, I won't have any clothes that fit at the end of this week let alone at the end of 30 days. Very frustrating :unsure:

Your Day 8 quiche sounds yummy!

hey pinkdiamonds, what were the side effects?? I haven't heard of anything adverse from drinking Kombucha, and was going to buy some this week to try it... now I'm not sure if I should??

Found here: http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/ComplementaryandAlternativeMedicine/DietandNutrition/kombucha-tea

In April 1995, two women who had been drinking the tea daily for 2 months were hospitalized with severe acidosis -- an abnormal increase of acid levels in body fluids. Both had high levels of lactic acid upon hospitalization. One woman died of cardiac arrest 2 days after admission. The second woman's heart also stopped, but she was stabilized and recovered. The mushrooms used by both women came from the same "parent" mushroom. While no direct link to Kombucha tea was proven in this case, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has warned consumers to use caution when making and drinking the tea.

In 2009, a 22-year-old man was hospitalized with trouble breathing, fever, confusion, and high lactic acid levels within 12 hours after drinking Kombucha tea. He recovered, but his doctor believed that the tea was the cause of his lactic acidosis. This is a rare but serious and often fatal condition.

Because deaths have been linked with the tea, drinking excessive amounts is not recommended. Several experts warn that since home-brewing facilities vary a great deal, the tea could become contaminated with harmful germs. These germs could be especially dangerous to people with HIV, cancer, or other immune problems. Anthrax of the skin has been reported, as has jaundice, a yellowing of the skin and eyes that is usually caused by liver damage. Allergic reactions, possibly to molds in the tea, have been reported.

DAY 10:

Sleep: about 7 hours (not ideal)

What I ate:

Meal 1: crustless quiche, sauteed hot peppers, 1/2 avocado, decaf black coffee

Meal 2: canned salmon with homemade mayo, raw veggies (baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms)

Meal 3: steve's paleo beef sticks, banana

Meal 4: leftover pork roast, sweet potato, sauteed mixed greens, coconut butter

Exercise:

Practiced pullups and hang power snatch (worked up to 75#), then: Run 1000m, row 1000m, run 1000m. I expected my legs to be jelly going into the second 1K run after the row, but I felt surprisingly strong, like I'd just warmed up. Finished in 15:35.

Trying magnesium supplement per Whole30 Daily recommendation to see how it affects sleep quality. Will report back.

Thanks pinkdiamonds, I think I will take a pass on the tea for now. I appreciate you getting the info for me.

Uff, Day 10 isn't off to the best start. My clothes have started to get really tight over the last couple of days. I actually just had to unbutton my pants because I am so uncomfortable. Not a good look at the office! Sigh. I'm hoping that I'm retaining water, maybe there was more salt than I'm used to in one of this week's recipes, or maybe because I ate more raw veggies than usual this weekend... I can't help but worry that at this rate, I won't have any clothes that fit at the end of this week let alone at the end of 30 days. Very frustrating :unsure:

Maggie, hang in there. I was just past day 10 when I hit my brick wall. I got severly bloated, hated the world, had restless nights, couldn't concentrate during the day, and was extremely lethargic... I just rode it out, after two or three days the euphoria of my first week returned in full force... Hang in there, this too shall pass.

DAY 11:

Sleep: 7.5 hours

What I ate:

Meal 1: crustless quiche, sauteed hot peppers, decaf coffee

Meal 2: braised chicken livers, sauteed mixed greens, apple, coconut butter, 1/2 bottle kombucha

Meal 3: pork roast with onion and carrots, roasted plantain, raw sauerkraut

Exercise:

2 mile walk. Pullup practice, goblet squats (8kg), then:

-- 7-min amrap of 10 burpees and 12 kettlebell swings -- completed 4 rounds + 10 burpees + 3 kb swings (16kg)

-- Rest 3 mins

-- 7-min: 40 burpee buy-in, amrap of 15 sumo deadlift high pulls and 10 thrusters in remaining time -- 40 burpees + 1 round + 15 sdhp (35#)

Thanks Lola! That's exactly what I needed to hear. Your support (and a non-clingy jersey dress!) are setting today up to be much better than yesterday :)

that's good.... I also did a lot of searches in the troubleshooting thread. I read, and re-read posts that were similar to what I was experiencing, and took the tips and ideas into my own program.... I also think you should go back to the chapter in ISWF that discusses how much to eat vs. activity... make sure that you are not short changing yourselfion the food department, you have to fuel your body to perform & restore... everytime I read your posts, I am often wondering if you've had enough to eat(I know I'm repeatingmyself again, I'm not trying to sound naggy, it's out of concern)

I love your positivity!

that's good.... I also did a lot of searches in the troubleshooting thread. I read, and re-read posts that were similar to what I was experiencing, and took the tips and ideas into my own program.... I also think you should go back to the chapter in ISWF that discusses how much to eat vs. activity... make sure that you are not short changing yourselfion the food department, you have to fuel your body to perform & restore... everytime I read your posts, I am often wondering if you've had enough to eat(I know I'm repeatingmyself again, I'm not trying to sound naggy, it's out of concern)

I love your positivity!

Not naggy at all!! If I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be where I am now lol. I really appreciate the feedback and will play around with eating more. My portions are pretty sizable (not measuring though) and I don't let myself go hungry... But it seems like that doesn't necessarily mean I'm fueling enough/appropriately. Thanks Lola :)

DAY 12:

I can't believe it's Day 12 already! The last couple of weeks have flown by, and making the right food choices has felt pretty effortless. They really do feel like conscious choices and not some compulsion to eat for the sake of eating or because I've lost my self-control (I'm looking at you, nuts and nut butters!).

Sleep has been decent but a little dicey the last few days. I am cat-sitting for my sister this week. As much as I love having this sweet kitten in the apartment, I'm realizing my place (a studio) is just too small for her. She is used to having much more space and I think staying cooped up in a single room without space to run and jump and climb is getting to her. (I can imagine how she feels -- I go crazy stuck at home for even a couple of hours and she has wayyy more energy than I do.) Anyway, her rambunctious side is definitely coming out, especially at night. When I can't play with her because I'm sleeping, she runs around, plays with various objects, meows, and sometimes "attacks" my hands and feet. It is cute and all, but definitely not conducive to continuous rest for me. I'm in bed for a full 8-9 hours, but I'm only sleeping in 2 hour chunks. Luckily my sister will be home tomorrow and I'll get back into a good sleeping routine tomorrow night. Until then, I'm counting on exhaustion and my new magnesium supplement to knock me out tonight... :)

It's almost Friday, which means it's almost time for my weekly cookup! I've really been enjoying spending a couple of hours each week playing with new ingredients or recipes. I've been contemplating what recipes I want to try this week... I'm thinking I'll do another curry, or maybe aloo gobi, lamb osso buco in the slow cooker, and "50/50' burgers that combine W30-approved bacon and ground grassfed beef. I'll also do another variation on the quiche for breakfast and more of the braised chicken livers with tomato and saffron. I've always LOVED chicken livers -- weird, I know -- but I've been hesitant to try cow liver, even though I know it's superfood qualities... Maybe I'll give it a try this week if I can get a grassfed liver at the farmer's market tomorrow. My CSA box this week has a bunch of fun veggies, including something called "tatsoi" that I'm excited to try. It seems like it's a winter green, like chard. Can't wait to taste it. Hmmm, it's not Friday tomorrow, is it?? :P

DAY 12 cont'd:

Oh boy, after that essay I totally forgot about my log for the day. Need sleep lol.

Sleep: 8 hours in bed, unsure how much of that was spent actually sleeping

What I ate today:

Meal 1: Last of the quiche and some leftover ground beef, sauteed peppers, banana, decaf coffee.

Meal 2: Braised chicken livers with saffron and tomato, sauteed mixed greens, sweet potato, raspberries, cherry tomatoes and celery with salsa.

Meal 3: 1/2 rotisserie chicken, raw sauerkraut, peach, couple tablespoons coconut butter

Exercise:

Rest day. I thought about taking a long walk this afternoon, but I felt very tired with the lack of sleep. I think I made the right decision.

On that note, goodnight!

DAY 13:

Sleep: 7.5 hours (woke up several times, looking forward to continuous sleep tonight!)

What I ate:

Meal 1: can of salmon, homemade mayo, raw celery and baby carrots, apple

Meal 2: steve's paleo sticks, raw zucchini, kombucha

Meal 3: roast chicken leg and breast, raw mushrooms with balsamic

Meal 4 (PWO): banana, braised chicken livers, sweet potato, sauteed mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, coconut butter

Exercise:

Today's workout felt amazing. Tough and super fun, and I finished feeling strong and energized :)

Pullup practice, 3x5 low bar box squats (135#), then 24 mins of intervals of 200m runs, walking lunges, kettlebell swings and goblet squats (12kg).

I'm taking another rest day tomorrow because I have an 8K race on Saturday! I'm a bit nervous, but eager to see how I perform. I'm not setting any goals other than have fun and cross that finish line lol.

Woohoo, slept all night without interruption! Logged about 7.5 hours -- I would've like a bit more, but it felt great to wake up painlessly. I don't know if it's the magnesium supplement, the cleaned-up diet, or simply making a concerted effort to sleep, but I won't question it. This is the biggest benefit of going Paleo and being more mindful of my health since my migraines cleared up last year. I'm feeling really happy. And now, to make me happier, breakfast :)

Archived