Maggie's Whole30

maggief

DAY 32:

Sleep: Just under 8 hours :)

What I ate:

Meal 1: leftover roast pork shoulder, steamed bok choy, celery with guacamole, peppermint tea

Meal 2: spinach salad with grilled chicken breast, cherry tomatoes, beets, chopped green apple, walnuts, avocado, balsamic vinegar, kombucha

Meal 3: chicken breast and leg, mixed green salad, balsamic vinegar, olives

Breakdown:

1,627 calories, 88.9g fat (48%), 60.6g carbs (14%), 149.2g protein (38%)

Exercise:

Rest day. I was walking or standing most of the day.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, yesterday afternoon was my first day on the new volunteer job I mentioned a while back. It is with an organization called Common Threads, which teaches after-school cooking and cultural enrichment classes in public schools here in D.C. and a few other cities in the U.S., I believe. It was really eye-opening. For one, I haven't been around kids this age (8-12 years old) since I was that age -- 20 years ago! I was a little shell-shocked by their energy and by what I consider a lack of focus/respect but is probably just kids being kids and me being a bit stodgy lol. I think that over the next 10 weeks I will get used to that energy level and really grow to love them. Maybe lol.

The other thing that will take some getting used to is the nutrition information we're sharing with the kids. The recipes are based on the MyPlate program, which advocates 1/2 plate filled with fruits/veggies, 1/4 filled with lean protein (which apparently includes beans and peanut butter lol), and 1/4 filled with "healthy whole grains." Yesterday the kids and volunteers cooked chicken tenders (chicken breasts lightly dredged in corn meal, whole wheat flour and bread crumbs) with a salad (lettuce, cherry tomatoes and shredded cheddar cheese) and honey mustard dressing (nonfat greek yogurt, mustard, honey). Unfortunately and not surprisingly, I wasn't able to join in for the "family dinner" at the end of the class.

I was surprised by the fact that I didn't find the (non-paleo) lesson particularly offensive or off-putting. I might not agree with the program's definition of healthy ingredients, but I love that it is exposing kids to whole foods that they cook themselves instead of the processed stuff from a fast food restaurant or vending machine that they might otherwise be eating. I feel like it is a huge success just to get them to eat fruit/veggies/meat and to get the processed vegetable/seed oils out of their diets. The kids seemed to love the food and they all asked to wrap up a plate of leftovers to take to their parents. (Apparently this is not the kind of food they normally eat at home.)

Anyway, I'd love to hear what other people think. Am I being naive to think that the dietary recommendations are an improvement over the typical packaged "frankenfoods" that kids and adults seem to rely on these days? (I'm saying this from the pov of a recovering frozen food addict lol.) Whole foods and plates made up mostly of veg/fruit/meat seems to be a step in the right direction...

Anyway, I'd love to hear what other people think. Am I being naive to think that the dietary recommendations are an improvement over the typical packaged "frankenfoods" that kids and adults seem to rely on these days? (I'm saying this from the pov of a recovering frozen food addict lol.) Whole foods and plates made up mostly of veg/fruit/meat seems to be a step in the right direction...

When I think about how long it has taken me to understand what healthy is for my body, the simple act of teaching kids to even think about what's going on their plates is fantastic. Sounds like the meal wasn't first rate, but I'm sure it's a lot closer to whole food eating than what many of them would choose on their own. Hopefully, the class will be the beginning of them searching to figure out what works for them. A part of me feels conflicted saying that, but when I was in that age bracket, I gave no thought to what I ate. And, perhaps unfortunately, I never gained any weight. So I kept up with the packaged, processed foods. Whew, what a number I was doing on my poor body. It's awesome that you're volunteering your time! I'm sure it will make a big difference for those kids.

DAY 33:

Sleep: 7.5 hours

What I ate:

Meal 1: crockpot beef roast with onions, raw zucchini, peppermint tea

Meal 2: canned salmon with homemade mayo, peppermint tea

Meal 3: bone broth, baby carrots with salsa and guacamole

Meal 4 (PWO): 1/2 rotisserie chicken, sweet potato with ghee, cherry tomatoes

Breakdown:

2,064 calories, 94.8g fat (41%), 98.9g carbs (18%), 202.5g protein (41%)

Exercise:

3x5 box squats @ 105# then:

8 rounds of 1-min wall ball amrap, 30-sec rest, 1-min amrap of 10 sdhp and 10 burpees, 30-sec rest -- This workout felt neverending, my goal was to match my reps each round. I did a total of 342 reps (192 wall balls and 150 sdhp/burpees). My legs are gonna hurt tomorrow :)

DAY 34:

Sleep: 8 hours (I'm on a roll!)

What I ate:

Meal 1: crockpot beef roast, raw zucchini, 1/2 avocado, peppermint tea

Meal 2: diced chicken breast with homemade mayo, 20 baby carrots, decaf cinnamon rooibos tea

Meal 3 (PWO): banana, chicken thigh, lettuce, 1/2 avocado, balsamic vinegar, bone broth

Meal 4: beef roast, sweet potato with ghee, 5 grapes (tonight was a quick, early dinner bc I'm going to an event, Stacy London of "What Not to Wear" fame talking about style, self-confidence, etc. So excited!!)

Breakdown:

2,118 calories, 118.6g fat (49%), 101.8g carbs (18%), 166g protein (33%)

Exercise:

Today I did a treadmill/erg workout at my office gym. Started with a 5-min walk to warm up, then:

-- 1-mile run

-- 500m row

-- 1-mile run

-- 500m row

-- 1-mile run

-- 500m row

-- 0.5-mile run

Cooled down with 10min walk and about 15 mins of stretching/mobility.

Each mile took 10 minutes and I was pretty consistent on the row (2:10, 2:11, 2:09). Each time I moved from erg to treadmill my legs felt like jello lol.

What Not to Wear...??? I love that show! I'm jealous! I hope you have a fantastic time. How fun.

How did you cook your roast? I have no experience at all, but would love to try one out.

Stacy was awesome! She spoke for about an hour about her struggles with self-esteem (anorexia, compulsive overeating, being overweight, battling psoriasis, feeling unworthy/guilty about her successes) and the intersection between finding peace within and how you present yourself to the world. It was interesting to hear her expand on concepts she's talked about on the show, that how we dress isn't just how we present ourselves to the world but a reflection of how we feel about ourselves. She suggested a really interesting exercise based on improv technique: "Yes... and?" She said the "Yes" is accepting where you are today, right now. It's not resignation, but acceptance, a starting point. The "and?" is where you go from that starting point -- how you work with what you have and do the best you can to grow and heal and feel your best. This advice really resonated with me on the Whole30.

My roasts are super duper simple. Essentially I pick a piece of meat that looks good, rub it up with some spices, and throw it in the crockpot with an onion and other veggies I might have on hand. This roast was a beef round roast that I rubbed with salt, cumin, a little bit of cinnamon and unsweetened cocoa powder (a riff on the chocolate chili from theclothesmakethegirl.com), and an onion cut into halves. This weekend I'm doing a pork shoulder roast that I'll season with salt, cumin and a bit of turmeric, and slow cook with onions, carrots and apples. Prep takes 5-10 mins and the slow cooker does all the work lol.

DAY 35:

Sleep: 7 hours (last night's event cut into bedtime, but my sleep was deep and peaceful. I might nap later Yea, that nap never happened lol.)

What I ate:

Meal 1: bone broth, leftover beef roast, yellow squash, peppermint tea

Meal 2: can of salmon with homemade mayo, baby carrots, grape tomatoes

Meal 3: grassfed beef sliders, sauteed mixed greens, roasted brussels sprouts, roasted beets, sweet potato with ghee, 1/2 avocado, kimchi, 3 grapes, peppermint tea

Breakdown:

1,938 calories, 119.8g fat (55%), 99.5g carbs (19%), 124g protein (26%)

Exercise:

40 mins mobility

1RM back squat: 175#, a PR!! :D (I attempted 185# but bailed at the bottom.)

15-min amrap of 400m run, 20 step ups (20" box), 25 air squats -- 3 rounds + 200m run

Y

Stacy was awesome! She spoke for about an hour about her struggles with self-esteem (anorexia, compulsive overeating, being overweight, battling psoriasis, feeling unworthy/guilty about her successes) and the intersection between finding peace within and how you present yourself to the world. It was interesting to hear her expand on concepts she's talked about on the show, that how we dress isn't just how we present ourselves to the world but a reflection of how we feel about ourselves. She suggested a really interesting exercise based on improv technique: "Yes... and?" She said the "Yes" is accepting where you are today, right now. It's not resignation, but acceptance, a starting point. The "and?" is where you go from that starting point -- how you work with what you have and do the best you can to grow and heal and feel your best. This advice really resonated with me on the Whole30.

That sounds brilliant, I love my fashion now I'm smaller (was a u.s size 12 a few years ago, now a 6) and picking out something nice to wear, every day, not keeping stuff "for good" because every day is special, and so am I :D I've recently started wearing a little make-up every day too and it does put a pep in my step!

DAY 36:

Sleep: about 10 hours

What I ate:

Meal 1: omelet with smoked salmon, greens, apple, ginger mint tea

Meal 2: beef brisket, pork spareribs, collard greens, apple

Snack: chamomile tea, baby carrots, grape tomatoes, guacamole, salsa, grapes

Breakdown:

1,842 calories, 105.3g fat (51%), 122.3g carbs (24%), 108.9g protein (24%)

Exercise:

Walked 5+ miles

DAY 37:

Sleep: 9 hours

What I ate:

Meal 1: egg bake with roasted cauliflower, grassfed beef slider, 1/4 avocado, peppermint tea

Meal 2 (PWO): slow cooker pork shoulder roast, sweet potato, baby carrots with guacamole, grapes, apple, peppermint tea, banana

Breakdown:

2,344 calories, 125.6g fat (48%), 189.3g carbs (30%), 123.8g protein (22%)

Exercise:

3 rounds of 7-9 mixed grip pullups (x020), rest 45 secs, 45-sec amrap overhead squats, 45 secs rest, 45 secs/side powell raises

-- Round 1: 9 pullups (two 1" bands), 17 OHS (15#), 14 powell raises/side (5#)

-- Round 2: 7 pullups (1" + .5" bands), 16 OHS (15#), 13 powell raises/side (5#)

-- Round 3: 7 pullups (1" + .5" bands), 17 OHS (15#), 13 powell raises/side (5#)

6-min amrap of 1000m row and max thrusters, 30 secs rest, 6-min amrap of 1000m run and max thrusters

-- 1000m row in 4:29; 11 thrusters @ 45#

-- 1000m run in 5:35; 5 thrusters @ 45#

Friday night I had my first W30 food dream, aka "food-mare" lol. In the dream, I was suddenly holding a plate with a big slice of apple pie. I didn't want to eat it, but for some reason I started taking little forkfuls. With each bite I struggled internally -- it didn't taste like anything, I wasn't enjoying it, and I felt ridiculous messing up my W30 W60 by eating it. I looked around forlornly, looking for a way to escape the pie. My best friend was sitting next to me and smiled. I smiled back and I kept right on eating without tasting it until it was all gone. Then I woke up and all the emotion still felt so real. It took a while to realize I hadn't actually eaten the pie lol! I can't for the life of me figure out why I had that particular dream this week...

DAY 38:

Sleep: 7 hours

What I ate:

Meal 1: pork roast, grape tomatoes, baby carrots, peppermint tea

Meal 2: cauliflower egg bake, apple

Meal 3: roast chicken breast and leg, mixed salad with balsamic vinegar, coconut butter

Breakdown:

1,607 calories, 98.5g fat (54%), 55.4g carbs (12%), 127.9g protein (33%)

Exercise:

Floor press: 35#(5) -- 45#(5) -- 55#(5) -- 65#(5) -- 65#(5)

6 rounds: 90 secs for 300m run and max walking lunges, 30 secs rest, 90 secs for 15 goblet squats and max step-ups -- 25# for goblet squats, 24" box for step-ups

-- Round 1: 9 lunges, 12 step ups

-- Round 2: 8 lunges, 12 step ups

-- Round 3: 8 lunges, 13 step ups

-- Round 4: 8 lunges, 14 step ups

-- Round 5: 8 lunges, 15 step ups

-- Round 6: 9 lunges, 14 step ups

DAY 39:

What I ate:

Meal 1: pork roast, grape tomatoes

Snack: apple, guacamole, kimchi, peppermint tea, kombucha

Meal 2: beef roast, bone marrow, roasted cauliflower, steamed bok choy

Breakdown:

1,928 calories, 126.5g (59%), 88.7g carbs (17%), 116.9g protein (24%)

Exercise:

Rest day

DAY 40:

Sleep: 8 hours

What I ate:

Meal1: leftover pork roast, steamed bok choy, peppermint tea

Meal 2: bone broth, beef roast, bone marrow, steamed mixed greens, steamed green beans, roasted beet, guacamole, apple, coconut butter

Meal 3: turmeric-spiced sliders, raw mushroom salad with balsamic vinegar, grape tomatoes

Breakdown:

1,640 calories, 114.2g fat (62%), 61.4g carbs (13%), 101g protein (25%)

Exercise:

30 mins mobility

1500m run

Snatch pulls: 15 mins practice @ 55#

15-min amrap: 1500m row buy-in, then 30 air squats and 20 jumping pullups

--1500m row took about 6:45

--finished 3 round + 45 reps in remaining time

Hi Maggie.

I just happened upon your log and was skimming through all your awesome posts of the great work you're doing. I wanted to say hi because I'm a Common Threads volunteer alumn! I taught classes on the South Side of Chicago when I lived there a couple years ago. Such an amazing experience - I know you're going to have a wonderful time.

Keep up the great work! :D

Hi Maggie.

I just happened upon your log and was skimming through all your awesome posts of the great work you're doing. I wanted to say hi because I'm a Common Threads volunteer alumn! I taught classes on the South Side of Chicago when I lived there a couple years ago. Such an amazing experience - I know you're going to have a wonderful time.

Keep up the great work! :D

Thanks Jenny!! So cool to "meet" another Common Threads volunteer. It's really incredible -- tho I am feeling slightly in shock at being around all those kids lol. I realized that I haven't really been around 8-12 year olds since I was 8-12 years old lol! They're rowdy and ridiculous but so sweet. One of the girls yesterday suddenly reached out to hold my hand for no reason other than she wanted to hold me hand. I was confused and touched haha.

I hope your W30 is going well! I'm looking forward to reading your posts :)

They are the cutest aren't they! It's definitely an eye-opening experience to work with them and see what the do and don't know re the basics of nutrition and get a little insight into their home lives. I remember one coming in with a huge bandage on his face and when I asked him what happened he said a kid in his apartment building cut him. All I kept thinking was, this is someone he's going to keep seeing day after day! :(

Hope your week is going well - keep up the great work! I grew up just outside of DC in MD so it's always fun to hear about the area and goings on. :D

Sleep: 7 hours

What I ate:

Meal 1: turmeric-spiced beef sliders, sauteed mystery greens, 15 baby carrots, couple tablespoons guacamole, beef broth

Meal 2: turmeric-spiced beef sliders, sauteed mystery greens, kimchi, apple

Meal 3: 4 eggs fried in ghee with dill, sweet potato, grape tomatoes

Breakdown:

1,559 calories, 93.4g fat (54%), 83.3g carbs (20%), 97.8g protein (26%)

Exercise:

4 Rounds: 10-14 ring rows; 10-14 walking lunges (the goal here was speed)

-- Round 1: 14 ring rows, 14 lunges (20# DBs); R2: 12, 14; R3: 12, 14; R4: 11, 14

5-min AMRAP: 10 burpees, 12 KB Swings -- 3 rounds +15 @ 12kg

4 mins rest

5-min AMRAP: 75 KB Swings, max burpees in remaining time -- 75 swings @ 12kg + 23 burpees

Day 42:

I'm heading out of town tonight and tomorrow to go hiking with my sister, my cousin and her hubbie. I'm so excited -- it's really starting to feel like fall here and the area we're visiting, Harper's Ferry, is supposed to be beautiful -- but eating on trips always feels a bit daunting. Trying to look at the challenge as an opportunity :)

What I ate:

Meal 1: In honor of World Egg Day… 4 eggs, guacamole, baby carrots, caff-free cinnamon rooibos tea

Meal 2: spinach salad with grilled chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, beets, bell pepper and avocado, all chopped up and tossed with balsamic vinegar

Snack: banana, couple tbsp coconut butter

Meal 3: mixed Persian kebabs (chicken, lamb, beef) with salad

Breakdown:

2,240 calories, 121.4g fat (42%), 63g carbs (10%), 220.4g protein (42%)

Exercise:

I worked out at the office gym before lunch today and tried to make the most of the tools at hand. Started with a 5-min walk on the treadmill, then:

3 rounds: 800m run, 500m row, 12 sumo deadlift high-pulls (30# KB)

I finished with a final 800m run, and 5 OTM x 30 secs plank hold. Legs = jelly :D

Day 43:

Sleep: 6 hours, maybe less

What I ate:

Meal 1: scrambled eggs with speck (German bacon), tomato, mango with lime juice, fresh raw coconut, couple cups of peppermint tea

Meal 2: spinach salad with grilled chicken, roasted tomatoes, avocado, artichoke hearts, olives, bottle of kombucha

Snack: pear slices

Breakdown:

1,455.calories, 76.1g fat (45%), 118.1g carbs (30%), 87.5g protein (25%)

Exercise:

Nothing formal. Spent the day hiking and wandering and eating and playing in Harper's Ferry. Pictures to come...

Archived