Maggie's Whole30

maggief

DAY 58:

I spent most of the day prepping for the impending storm and traveling back from NJ to DC.

Sleep: 8 hours

Exercise: 2-mile walk

Breakfast: bone broth, 4 fried eggs with dill and spinach, peppermint tea

Lunch/travel snacks: leftover grilled salmon, raw carrots, grapes, couple oz chicken breast

Snack: couple tablespoons coconut butter, roasted sweet potato

Breakdown:

1,460 calories, 65.6g fat (40%), 122.4g carbs (32%), 100.5g protein (29%)

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whew, crazy week! I've been camping out at the office and a hotel the last couple of days because of the storm. I managed to keep my food totally W30 compliant (albeit a little boring), thanks in large part to packing a bag full of canned fish lol. Here are my logs for Days 59 and 60... 60!?! :D

DAY 59

Sleep: 7.5 hours

Treats avoided: Halloween candy, Frankstorm cupcakes.

Breakfast: bone broth, peppermint tea, chicken breast, broccoli rabe and arugula

Lunch: can of tuna, carrots, cucumber, coconut flakes, peppermint tea

Dinner: salmon pouch, cucumber, coconut flakes

Breakdown:

1,520 calories, 62.3g fat (37%), 66.4g carbs (17%), 167g protein (46%)

Exercise:

I improvised at the hotel gym:

50 burpees

Then…

3 rounds: 10 floor press @ 20# dumbbells

Max plank hold

3 rounds: 15 “goblet†squats @ 25# DB

Max plan hold

2 rounds: 10 strict press, 20 walking lunges @ 15# DBs

Max plank hold

Then…

10-minute walk on treadmill

DAY 60:

Sleep: About 7 hours, off/on

Breakfast: canned tuna, olives, carrot, peppermint tea

Lunch: more canned tuna, coconut flakes, carrot, peppermint tea

Snack: broccoli slaw and mushroom salad with couple oz chicken breast

Dinner: steak, roasted parsnips and sweet potato, raw fermented sauerkraut, apple slices with cinnamon, coconut butter

Breakdown:

2,315 calories, 121.8g fat (46%), 156.5g carbs (26%), 156g protein (28%)

Exercise:

Improvising at the office gym:

3 rounds: 10 kb deadlifts, 6 kb sumo deadlifts (x131) @ 20kg

Then…

3 rounds: 400m run, 250m row, 12kb swings @ 16kg — 13:56 (including time to start treadmill each round)

WHOLE 60 RECAP:

I figured I should do a quick evaluation of my goals from Day 1 and Day 30, and maybe set some new ones as I continue this journey:

Weight/Measurements: I was running late for work and didn't get a chance to weigh in or take measurements. I might do it tomorrow, but I'm honestly not sure I want to! I actually feel really good. I realized I looked in the mirror at work this morning and smiled at my reflection :) I feel good about the way my body looks -- a HUGE change for me -- and I'm scared a weigh-in or measurements might change my perception if there isn't a change. At the same time, I am curious. Maybe I'll wait until I'm ready to reintroduce foods, whenever that might be. That way the numbers would provide a data point for reintroduction. We will see.

Now to look at the goals:

Nutrition: I will eat real food for every meal, focusing on nutrient-density but remaining mindful of true hunger vs. stress eating, eating out of sleeplessness, etc. Done! I am proud of myself for totally kicking this goal's butt. I cut out two things that had started to have an unhealthy control over me -- nuts and decaf coffee -- and I am excited that I am in control. I don't miss the nuts (plus my digestion is improved), though I do sometimes crave the taste of coffee, especially on weekends. Since I cut the decaf I sleep better (who knew!?), so I probably won't bring it back as a regular beverage. I plan to thoroughly indulge in a venti decaf Americano from Starbucks on Thanksgiving :D

Sleep: I will spend at least 8 hours in bed each night, and continue to supplement with magnesium and melatonin. I will continue to avoid decaf coffee for another 2 weeks, then reevaluate. I am finally (FINALLY!) sleeping well on a regular a basis. There has been a consistent steady improvement since I cut the decaf, as mentioned above. I'll continue the mag and mel supps as well. Most people probably already know this, but good sleep = pure bliss.

Fitness: Crossfit 4-5x/week. Run 2/week. Pullup practice 3x/week. CrossFit and running goals met, but I slacked on the pullup practice. I just haven't been feeling the extra training, so the only practice I've gotten has been in class (maybe once a week). Still, I got closer to an unassisted kipping pullup than I ever have before, so that's a win. I also set a new back squat PR (175#). Toot toot!

Athleticism: Full-day hike in Harper's Ferry, Va. on Oct. 13, running the Army 10-miler on Oct. 21, and participating in a (friendly/scaled) Crossfit competition on Oct. 27. The hike and 10-miler happened, but I bailed on the CF competition in exchange for spending a relaxing weekend at home with my parents -- well worth it.

Recovery: At least one one-hour massage. Mobility every day. I got the massage (it was good but not great). I only did mobility on days I worked out (not every day).

Body composition: As mentioned above, I don't know if I lost fat or inches, but I feel great and my clothes are fitting well. What more could I ask for?

Overall, I call myWhole 60 a success. Onward!

DAY 61:

Happy Halloween :)

Breakfast: 4 eggs with ghee and dill (totally forgot to pack veggies for work)

Lunch: can of tuna, salad of lettuce, beets and raw mushrooms from the office cafeteria, peppermint tea

Snack: couple ounces of chicken breast with broccoli slaw, coconut butter

Dinner: sauteed mushrooms and grassfed ground beef spiced with turmeric and cinnamon, spaghetti squash, apple slices with cinnamon

Breakdown:

1,622 calories, 87.5g fat (48%), 98.6g carbs (22%), 120.8g protein (31%)

Exercise:

4 rounds: 12-16 ring rows, 12-16 reverse lunges

– Round 1: 16 RR, 16 lunges @ 25# DBs

– Round 2: 16 RR, 12 lunges @ 30# DBs

– Round 3: 16 RR, 14 lunges @ 30# DBs

– Round 4: 16 RR, 12 lunges @ 30# DBs

Then…

5-min Row (for calories): 69 calories

Rest 4 mins, then…

5-min AMRAP: 10 thrusters, 15 jumping pullups — 3 rounds + 20 @ 35#

DAY 62:

Breakfast: ground beef with 3 eggs and dill, sauerkraut

Lunch: salmon over lettuce and broccoli with balsamic

Snack: raw broccoli and mushrooms, couple tbsp coconut butter

Dinner: steak, roasted root veggies (parsnips, carrots and sweet potato), apple slices with cinnamon, coconut butter

Breakdown:

1,710 calories, 92.5g fat (48%), 103.9g carbs (23%), 124.5g protein (29%)

Exercise:

“Project Pull-up†baseline test:

1RM pull-up: 1-inch (green) band

1RM chin-up: 1/2-inch (blue) band

Then…

3 rounds: 30 seconds/arm DB Row, 45 secs rest, 3-6 Goblet Squats (31×1), 45 secs rest

– Round 1: 15 rows/arm @ 20#, 6 squats @ 12kg

– Round 2: 15 rows/arm @ 25#, 6 squats @ 16kg

– Round 3: 12 rows/arm @ 25#, 6 squats @ 24kg

Then…

10 Minute AMRAP: 75 KB Swings, 75 Air Squats — 1 + 111 reps (1 full round + 75 swings +36 squats) @ 12kg

DAY 63:

Breakfast: ground beef, mushrooms, carrots, coconut flakes, peppermint tea

Lunch: tuna over salad

Dinner: steak, sweet potato, brussels sprouts, broccoli slaw with balsamic, apple, coconut butter

Breakdown:

1,890 calories, 107.8g fat (51%), 109.7g carbs (22%), 127.2g protein (27%)

Exercise:

Rest day.

DAY 64:

I went to my cousin's engagement party Saturday night. I was nervous because I knew there would be lots of alcohol, homemade desserts, cake, and my favorite Persian foods. Luckily I stayed strong -- drank water, stuck to kebabs and salad, and had some grapes for dessert. Overall a successful night food-wise.

I wish I could say I had more fun at the party. I'd been looking forward to it for months (my cousin is also one of my best friends) and spent a lot of time picking what I was going to wear... But I still felt shy and self-conscious and uncomfortable in the big group. It makes me so sad that even as I take control over some negative aspects of my life (eating, exercising, sleep), I just can't get a handle on socializing "normally" :(

Sleep: 10 hours !!!

Pre-WOD: cup of peppermint tea and a tablespoon of coconut butter

Lunch: browned ground beef spiced with turmeric and cinnamon, spaghetti squash, apple slices with cinnamon, carrots, coconut butter

Dinner: mixed Persian kebabs (kubideh, barg, jujeh), salad, eggplant dip, grapes

Breakdown:

2,017 calories, 99.7g fat (45%), 162.3g carbs (32%), 131.3g protein (23%)

Exercise:

2-mile walk

Double-under practice: 12 DU's in about 4 mins. Slow but steady progress.

Ring row practice: 2 sets of 5 and 1 set of 3, gradually getting more horizontal

3 rounds: 5-7 tempo dips (31×1), 1-min rest, 30-sec amrap weighted

, 1-min rest, 60-sec plank hold

– Round 1: 5 dips (1″ green band for assistance), 10 squats (15#), 60-sec plank

– Round 2: 5 dips, 12 squats (25#), 60-sec plank

– Round 3: 5 dips, 15 squats (25#), 60-sec plank

Then…

5 rounds: 12 jumping pull-ups, 6 deadlifts — 3:31 @ 125#

DAY 65:

Feeling a little under the weather today, so most of my food/activity choices were based on fending off this looming cold.

Sleep: 7 hours

Breakfast: Creamy Turmeric Tea (recipe here), banana

Lunch: smoked salmon and scallion omelet, apple and pear slices

Dinner: chicken and vegetable soup, roasted butternut squash with coconut oil

Breakdown:

1,712 calories, 82g fat (41%), 162.7g carbs (34%), 103.9g protein (24%)

Exercise:

Rest day, lots of walking.

Maggie, I just love reading your posts here and in your blog. :) you rock!

You really inspire me when it comes to being more active and setting goals, and I can relate to just about anything you write from food to socialing, and even to your ethnic backround (quite a few persians here in Israel).

Just wanted to thank you for posting :)

Maggie, I just love reading your posts here and in your blog. :) you rock!

You really inspire me when it comes to being more active and setting goals, and I can relate to just about anything you write from food to socialing, and even to your ethnic backround (quite a few persians here in Israel).

Just wanted to thank you for posting :)

Aww thank you so much!! That really means so much, I'm blushing over here :wub:

DAY 66:

Breakfast: chicken soup

Lunch: tuna over lettuce, broccoli and beets

Snack: carrots, coconut flakes

Dinner: more chicken soup, grapes, roasted spaghetti squash

Breakdown:

1,708 calories, 80g fat (43%), 118.6g carbs (27%), 125.4g protein (31%)

Exercise:

2-mile walk

3 rounds: 14-18 strict presses, 60 secs rest, 14-18 walking lunges, 60 secs rest

– Round 1: 18 presses @ 35#, 18 lunges @ 8kg kettlebells

– Round 2: 14 presses @ 40#, 14 lunges @ 12kg kettlebells

– Round 3: 14 presses @ 35#, 14 lunges @ 12 kg kettlebells

Then…

6-min AMRAP: 10 wall balls, 15 jumping pull-ups — 5 rounds + 1 wall ball (8# med ball)

Rest 4 mins, then…

6-min Row for calories: 78 cals

DAY 67:

Breakfast: chicken broth from soup, spaghetti squash, leftover kebab

Lunch: salmon over salad of lettuce, shredded carrots and beets

Dinner: steak, sauteed mushrooms, broccoli slaw, grapes, coconut flakes

Breakdown:

2,040 calories, 107.9g fat (48%), 138g carbs (25%), 136.4g protein (27%)

Exercise:

Rest day.

DAY 68:

Breakfast: leftover chicken soup, browned ground beef, carrots

"Lunch": can of sardines

Pre-WOD snack: couple tablespoons coconut butter

Dinner: broccoli slaw and raw mushroom salad, carrots, grilled steak, roasted sweet potato, kimchi, orange

Breakdown:

1,831 calories, 88.6g fat (43%), 117.3g carbs (25%), 146.5g protein (33%)

Exercise:

4-mile walk

Floor Press:

35#(5) -- 55#(5) -- 65#(5) -- 70#(5) -- 75#(5) -- 80#(5) -- 85#(5)

Then...

10 Rounds:

1-min AMRAP of 15 push press, max burpees; 1-min rest

10 burpees per round -- total of 150 presses @ 35# and 100 burpees

DAY 69:

Breakfast: browned ground beef, broccoli slaw

Lunch: canned salmon over lettuce, beets

Pre-WOD snack: roasted chestnuts, coconut butter

Dinner: broiled chicken breast, baked sweet potato, orange, coconut butter, carrots

Breakdown:

1,816 calories, 89.4g fat (43%), 116.2g carbs (25%), 136.7g protein (31%)

Exercise:

3-mile walk

Tabata: alternating hollow hold and plank hold

3 rounds: 1-min single-arm DB press (alternating), 3-6 tempo good morning squats (61x1), 30-sec tuck sit

-- Round 1: 26 presses/arm @ 10#, 6 GM squats @ 35#, 30-sec tuck sit

-- Round 2: 22 presses/arm @ 10#, 6 GM squats @ 45#, 30-sec tuck sit

-- Round 3: 23 presses/arm @ 10#, 6 GM squats @ 50#, 30-sec tuck sit

Then ...

2 rounds: 300m row, 90-sec rest

-- Round 1: 300m in 68.9 seconds

-- Round 2: 300m in 69.2 seconds

DAY 70:

My family went out to eat tonight to celebrate my sister purchasing her first home. Such a great night and I was able to stick to my W30 by avoiding alcohol and working with the waitstaff and kitchen staff to tweak their gluten-free menu. Delicious :)

Breakfast: broiled chicken breast, broccoli slaw and mushrooms with balsamic vinegar

Lunch: can of sardines over salad (mixed greens, olives, mushrooms, cabbage, balsamic)

Snack: apple with sunbutter, a few raw walnuts

Dinner: Assorted mezze (small plates/tapas) that were dairy-free, grain-free, gluten-free, legume-free -- as close to W30 Paleo as possible. The meal included:

– Seasonal sauteed mushrooms with dates and toasted almonds

– Grilled octopus with marinated onions and capers

– Roasted cauliflower with sultans, caper berries and pine nuts

– Turkish Pastirma: cured beef loin wrapped around a salad of radish, apricots and arugula (OMG)

– Grilled sirloin

– Grilled chicken thigh with sumac and onion

– Salad of crimson and yellow beets, shaved fennel, upland cress and walnuts

– Lavender lemon mint tea

Breakdown:

No breakdown tonight. Too hard to calculate something like this.

Exercise:

Rest day.

DAY 71:

One of my best friends from graduate school is visiting this weekend from California. We spent the day walking all over downtown D.C. and the National Mall. It's so cool getting to be a tourist when people come to visit! Dealing with eating out can be a little annoying, but I feel like I'm getting the hang of doing it responsibly :)

Brunch: 2 poached eggs, sausage, sauteed spinach, mixed berries at Ted's Bulletin (Temptations resisted: "adult" milkshakes and homemade blueberry cheesecake pop tarts.)

Snack: grapes, apple slices, mixed nuts

Dinner: Thai coconut mussels at Granville Moore's (Temptations resisted: twice-fried french fries, Belgian ales.)

Breakdown:

2,062 calories, 124.5g fat (52%), 159.2g carbs (29%), 98.5g protein (19%)

Exercise:

~6 miles walking around D.C.

It's so cool getting to be a tourist when people come to visit! Dealing with eating out can be a little annoying, but I feel like I'm getting the hang of doing it responsibly :)

This is so much fun being a tourist in your own town. (I know the feeling myself, living in Jerusalem and all...)

And eating out can be nice when you know what to look for and what you shouldn't even try to modify.

This is so much fun being a tourist in your own town. (I know the feeling myself, living in Jerusalem and all...)

And eating out can be nice when you know what to look for and what you shouldn't even try to modify.

Ooo Jerusalem! I bet you can explore it every day and still find something new and amazing and surprising thanks to the rich history and culture there. It's definitely on my list of must-see cities and I bet the food is incredible!

Archived