I decided I want to LIVE

Dnnasttn

Hi all, I'm Donna.  I've been ignoring my health for a year or so.  I felt tired, sad, ashamed and had kind of given up on living outside the ice cream carton.  I became more and more sedentary and isolated.  I take meds for high bp, gerd, thyroid and fibromyalgia.  Recently, despite my protests, I had to go to the doc to get them renewed.  I like my doc and trust her and we always chat about life (hers more than mine because she's awesome).  When she asked how I'm doing, I just blurted out that I've given up trying to be healthy... that if I die, I die.  So just fill the meds and I'll let you get on with your day, ok?  After a big hug, she set me up for a full exam on May 8th and surprisingly, I didn't balk much.  As I was driving away I heard what I had said!!!  I thought, oh God!!  I'm not a quitter.  I don't want to die.  I want to live.  But I don't want to live like this.  I want the old Donna back.  So I started making the changes that day...

7 days ago I felt like a sloth... now I am on my way to being awesome.  

Food - days 1 through 7 -- excellent.  The store-hopping for compliant foods was kind of fun.  

Revelations - I can do this!  I really like red peppers!  

Helpful things - reading your stories, preparing for the hurdles, riding my bike and sitting in the sun.

Day 8 - made W30 breakfast sausage and froze a bunch.  Prepared my veggies and fruits for the next few days.  I made mayo last week and will make a ginger dressing later today.  I organized my spices and added a few for fun.  

Today:

M1:  breakfast sausage, apple, celery with almond butter

M2:  chicken with zucchini, red peppers, mayo, walnuts and an orange

M3:  steak w/ sweet potato, ghee, and grilled veggies

I seem to be following the timeline pretty closely... headachy, tired, fuzzy feeling and a little bloaty today.  But even with all that, I want to live... and that feels damn good.   xoxoxoxo

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 9 and all is well.  In fact, all is great.

Slept 10.5 hours last night... couldn't believe it.  Rode my motorcycle through country roads for about 4 hours so my stamina is improving.  Long walk with my dogs yesterday really helped with that too.  I had reached a point where I didn't want to go for walks at all.  Thanks for inspiring me to get back out there.

M1:  egg, sausage, sweet potato with ghee

M2:  ground beef w/taco spices, spinach, tomatoes and mayo

M3:  something with prosciutto and leftover grilled veggies from last night

2 La Croix waters today... wonder if there is a limit per day (currently on sale @ 4 for $12 at Target, by the way).  So glad to learn from forums that decaf coffee is ok after noon.  That was one of my few struggles so far.

Just realized I've had no fruit today.  Is it bad to have a little fruit with M3?  

I hope everyone is having a nice day!  

Congrats on the walking!  You will find that as you eat better, you will have more energy to do the things you love (and even things you don't yet know that you love).  

Fruit is fine - just have it with a meal, but not in place of your veggies.  It is one of the hard things for me - especially when I am busy.  It is so easy to grab a banana or an apple.  Seems that fruit is just more portable too.  

I wanted to say that I came to Whole30 having sort of the same mindset that you had - there's nothing for it but to take the pills and watch myself get less and less healthy over time. I started Whole30 because a friend reported being able to focus mentally a bit better when she did it. I had no idea there would be physical benefits. It ended up changing my life. I do still need medications for a few things, and that's not going to change; but I am able to feel clarity and hope about my life rather than futility.

So glad you're having a good experience so far - and glad you're hanging out here for support. Happy Whole30ing! :wub:

Thanks Amy.  I'm glad your life has improved.  I guess there are lots of people like us, but when I'm in the thick of it I still tend to feel pretty alone (need to stop isolating, which starts here).  With whole30, I feel like there's nowhere to go but up so I'm throwing myself in wholeheartedly (shopping, cooking, cleaning - oh my).  I want this to be me lifestyle forever.  I'm not craving sugar... it's worth it just for that piece of freedom.  Better mental clarity will be another big win... I'm so glad to hear it is possible!

The notes you all leave me are so important to my psyche -- I can't thank you enough for lending your time and support!  I hope to be helpful to others as I progress to better health.  

Hi Donna. I started I guess the day after you, and I'm stunned to find myself not craving sugar either. Cravings for sugar and artificial sweeteners were ruling my life on an endless loop. And like you, I was starting to watch the medical diagnoses and prescriptions pile up. Regardless of where I go from here, Whole30 has shown me that I can live without the sweeteners.

Sounds like you had a fun day yesterday and congrats on the increased energy. Do you have a sidecar on your motorcycle for the dogs?  :D

Chezulie, I have one dog that would gladly don some goggles and ride along.  No sidecar on my bike though.  I'm thinking it's a good thing.   :D  

WholeMama623 - I've been having 2 La Croix the last few days... I drink a ton of plain water too though.  Have you had the peach-pear?  Cherry lime - very refreshing.  

Day 10:

M1 - leftover asparagus with prosciutto, 1 egg, watermelon

M2 - chicken, mixed grilled veggies with ghee

M3 - ground beef, taco style, spinach, tomato, cucumber, red pepper and mayo 

Ran like a maniac at work today... love the energy and lack of headache.  Also, my clothes are really feeling loose.  Either walking or riding my bike (the pedal kind) tonight.  

Yay for all of us!!!

Was reading along! You are doing great so far!

and I know what you mean about LaCroix! I found the cherry lime this weekend and they are so good! Been trying to only drink one a day, but I love the bubbles!

Quoi?  Cherry lime LaCroix?  I thought I had hit the high time when I discovered grapefruit flavored Perrier!

Day 11 - high energy and no cravings, even during a trip to Fresh Market.  Stocked up on chicken, beef and some spring mix.  I'm stopping to think about what I need rather than what I want, where I used to just give in to a craving.  Tomorrow, however, will bring a little challenge.  We have a staff meeting so there'll be pizza  and the usual junk fare.  I'll bring my lunch and be sure it's extra colorful and flavorful and I should be fine.  

M1:  celery sticks with almond butter, 1 egg, 1 sausage

M2:  cucumber salad with tomato, egg, grapes, lemon, chives and light olive oil

snack - apple before going to the grocery store

M3:  grilled chicken, yellow squash and snap peas with ghee

Have a great evening everyone!

What a great doctor to have!  A hug, a future exam, and the chance to be heard and to hear yourself - I wish I had a doctor like that!

Reading your posts is so fun!  Seems like it's human nature to root for people and be thrilled when they're doing well and the difference between how you were feeling and how you are feeling now is so positive.  I suppose there will be the down days, but hopefully many more up days.  Congratulations on this path.  I feel so much more hopeful about my future since discovering Whole30.

Are your meals keeping you satisfied? They look a little on the light side for protein.

Hi Loulabelle.  My stomach only growls when it's time for the next meal.  Is that normal?  I've been eating at 7:00 a.m., noon and 5:00 and feel satisfied.  I appreciate the question, and will definitely pay attention to be sure I have enough protein!   :rolleyes:   

What a great doctor to have!  A hug, a future exam, and the chance to be heard and to hear yourself - I wish I had a doctor like that!

Reading your posts is so fun!  Seems like it's human nature to root for people and be thrilled when they're doing well and the difference between how you were feeling and how you are feeling now is so positive.  I suppose there will be the down days, but hopefully many more up days.  Congratulations on this path.  I feel so much more hopeful about my future since discovering Whole30.

I know Emma, I feel very lucky to have her!  I also have a really good rheumatologist who genuinely wants to help me.  Thank you so much for rooting me on... I am saying woop woop for you too!  I am amazed at how I feel on W30 so far... obviously this is something I need and this is much more fun than the pity party I was having for myself.  Sending you a HUG!  Donna

Happy Hump Day!  They scrapped the pizza idea and got yucky boxed lunches for the staff meeting today.  So I didn't get to test my will against pizza, but I'm sure I'll have the opportunity one of these days.  Also, the office kitchen counter has been loaded all week with leftover sweets from a wedding.  It didn't bother me one bit to walk on by... many, many times.  I can't believe this!  

Day 12:

M1 - 2 sausage patties, celery sticks w/mayo dip, 1/2 large orange

M2 - leftover chicken breast, squash, snap peas and a tomato, with olive oil and vinegar dressing, handful of cashews

M3 - 2 eggs over easy on zoodles with ghee; 1/2 large orange left from M1

News of the day!  I cheated and opened my Mom's Day gift -- it's a Fitbit from my son.  So excited to get going with it.  (Were you worried when you saw the word "cheated"?  ha ha).  Non-food reward - check!

Things to look forward to: I'm going to make some crock pot meals this weekend, starting with the carnitas everyone raves about on here.  I'm planning two non-food rewards - getting tickets to a 2-day music festival near my home and a massage when I pass Day 30!

Can't thank you all enough for sharing with me and on your logs.  I wish everyone the best!

Archived