I decided I want to LIVE

Dnnasttn

Day 13 has been a successful day.  I had one challenge at lunch.  My coworkers took me out for a "thank you" lunch (hard to say no) so I called the restaurant in advance and made arrangements for a veggie salad, no dressing, etc.  They said they could prepare a protein without their spices, etc. but I just didn't trust that I wouldn't get something bad.  So I just ate my veggies with vinegar and oil that I brought with me.  It's interesting that I felt the lack of protein later in the day.  Just had M3 though and feeling full and good!

M1:  2 sausage patties, sweet potato, grapes, cashews

M2:  large mixed veggie salad with vinegar, oil and kalamata olives (no protein!)

M3:  broccoli, red peppers, beef strips stir-fried in coconut oil and topped with basil-curry mayonnaise (my new favorite!), watermelon slice

Time for a walk now!

Oh, and tomorrow is the big day... complete physical.  Even though I feel so good I'm not setting myself up to think that all will be glorious with my results.  Setting right what I've done wrong for so long will take time.  Onward...

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, the office kitchen counter has been loaded all week with leftover sweets from a wedding.  It didn't bother me one bit to walk on by... many, many times.  I can't believe this!  

Isn't it crazy? For me, it seemed like every tray of sweets at work was a battle that I lost, but I just really haven't desired that stuff when I've seen it since I started Whole30.

I don't even know who I am anymore.  :lol:

• Moderators

Oh yes. The coconut is amazing!!!

For all the La Croix fans here, have you tried the Pineapple Strawberry? I think it must be a new flavor, I hadn't seen it until a couple of weeks ago. It's in the tall skinny cans like the Cherry Lime comes in, and it's really good.

Day 14 was chaotic.  I hope I didn't mess up too much by missing a meal.  I had to fast for the Dr. appt (which went very well (I didn't look at my weight but got two thumbs up from the nurse); we'll see when cholesterol check comes back).  I didn't get out of her office until 11 a.m. and home by noon.  I should have posted for advice but just went with my best guess and skipped M1.  I couldn't see how I would squeeze 3 meals in...

M2:  3 eggs over easy on zoodles with gee, apple, handful of almonds

M3:  heaping portion of pork carnitas (wow!  That's a great recipe), zoodles, gee, pineapple

evening snack: handful of almonds

Today is Day 15 -- halfway through my first 30!  Woo hoo!  I need to get back on top of my meal planning today.  I'll edit to add today's meals when I figure out what they're going to be.   ;)

Big win yesterday -- it was my husband's birthday so I bought the yummy, sweet smelling, traditional birthday cake that he likes so much.  Friends came over to share with him and we all had a terrific time.  I was amazed to enjoy the smell of the cake without having the desire to eat it!

I wish everyone a wonderful day!  Load up your La Croix and head outside if you can!!

Don't worry about one missed meal - just don't make a habit of it :). Pay attention to your body today. If you feel a little hungry between meals, have a small snack (mini meal) - maybe a couple boiled eggs and some raw veg (protein, fat and veg).

Conrgrats on the half way mark (and skipping the cake)!

Mother's Day - Day 16

Had a wonderful day, sunning and reading and not working too hard around the house.  I'm getting the hang of cooking in advance.  

M1:  3 sausage patties, 1/2 bag of snap peas, orange, handful of cashews

M2:  leftover pork carnitas on zoodles, pineapple

M3:  broccoli, red peppers, beef strips stir-fried in coconut oil and topped with basil-curry mayonnaise

Energy is still very good.  Some of the pain I've had for a year has returned (achilles tendonitis) and I was so hoping that would be gone for good!  Maybe just a combo of what I ate or because I didn't do a lot of walking today.  We'll see.

Yay! for not being tempted by cake. I'm sure that was hard!

Day 17 for you! :)

Thanks!  I was surprised at how easy it was (never ever was before).  I thought about the feeling my stomach would have if I ate that cake and came up with "ugh!"

Oops, missed posting Day 17 meals.  All was well though and I got some great walking in.  Heels are better again.  Yay!

Today is Day 18 

M1:  celery with almond butter, 2 boiled eggs (trying to work up to 3!) and red grapes

M2:  Spring mix, chicken breast, pineapple, olives

M3:  ground beef and italian sausage spaghetti sauce over zoodles, handful of almonds

I made spaghetti sauce in the crock pot last night and it is amazing!  I used beef, sausage, carrots, onion, garlic, green pepper, thyme, oregano, basil, salt and pepper.  You'll be seeing this on my log quite a bit.  I made enough for an army.  

Bad news... the doc called and said my cholesterol is high (not surprised) so I'll start medication and hopefully be able to get off of it once I've eaten this way and exercised more consistently.  With that, I'm off for a walk with the dogs.

Have a nice evening.

My cholesterol has always been pretty steady and then it seemed to go up after my first Whole30.  I think there are a lot of threads related to cholesterol in the forum for medical issues that are pretty interesting.  From what I've read, and from what I'm assuming about my own body, I don't take too much stock in the numbers.  Weight loss can trigger higher cholesterol levels and I figure I'm making such radical healthy changes that there are bound to be some changes in numbers as things learn to balance out.  I think the key, though, is just sticking to this dang way of eating!  I keep reminding myself that I spent years (decades) eating like crap.  It's going to take more than a few months to undo what I've done.

Way to go on passing up the cake.  It is interesting, isn't it, how our bodies don't want it once we're not eating it.

Weight loss can trigger higher cholesterol levels ...

Hi Emma.  I think I need to do a little more research in the forum about cholesterol... I never suspected that weight loss could have anything but a positive effect.  So confused.  I'm definitely going to have it checked again in 6 months.  Are there foods that you avoid because of the higher cholesterol?  I've eaten more eggs recently than ever.  My doc said that exercise is important for lowering the "bad" cholesterol number.  Do you find that to be true?  Fortunately, reasonable exercise is possible for me again now that I have energy and less pain.  

I still can't go over my lack of interest in that cake!  It's like a whole new freedom!

there could be other reasons for high cholesterol. Mine was always high and it turned out it was my thyroid being out of whack.

Oddly enough, after my last whole30 in 2013, my numbers were the best they've ever been,.

Interesting.  They tested my thyroid too so we'll see if that's part of it.  I ate so badly for so long that I'm really not surprised.  I suspect she'll want to check it again after a few months.  I'll keep on working until it gets better!  I'm glad yours are in range... inspiring!

Wow, it's Day 19 and I'm still going strong.  I can't believe I suffered so long with lethargy and negativity when I didn't need to.  So glad I found W30 and all of you!  

M1:  3 breakfast sausages warmed in ghee, 2 celery stalks, 1 small apple

M2:  Zoodles (I eat 1 whole zucchini unless it's really large), cherry tomatoes, red pepper, tuna, mayo with lemon, salt and pepper

M3:  spaghetti squash, tomato sauce with beef and sausage, 1 small orange, handful of almonds

I found coconut aminos at The Vitamin Shoppe - yay!  Now I can finally make the ginger dressing and lots of other things.

Interesting.  They tested my thyroid too so we'll see if that's part of it.  I ate so badly for so long that I'm really not surprised.  I suspect she'll want to check it again after a few months.  I'll keep on working until it gets better!  I'm glad yours are in range... inspiring!

Only my cholesterol was affected by my whole30 in 2013. My thyroid has been out of whack and I am on medication for it. No idea if i'll be able to get off of these with Hashimoto's. Unlikey!

I think my life is a "plus three, minus two" kind of process since my first Whole30.  I'm consistently eating better and cleaner eating is definitely part of our life, but I have not been so consistent with exercise or sticking to the good eating.  There are months of slow slides towards junkier foods and then I get back on board, but overall I'm moving forward. The result is that I don't really know what helps those cholesterol numbers!  The health folks who check my levels tell me to eat more oatmeal and all the other things traditionally said, but back when I did that, it didn't make a lick of difference in my numbers so I no longer heed their suggestions and instead stick to my eggs and vegetables and coconut oil.  I think the thing that helps the most is avoiding sugars which creep in merrily in the form of beer a couple times a week.  My numbers have been at their best when I've just had several months of eating clean and exercising moderately.  The challenge is getting several months under my belt again and again!

Day 20... I put on a pair of pants to go to work and got really upset!  They fit, but snugly.  I wondered what the heck was going wrong and realized the pants were a size down from the ones I thought they were.  Yay!!!  

M1:  3 eggs cooked in coconut oil, celery with almond butter, 1 small orange

M2:  tuna, mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, mayo and a small apple

M3:  spaghetti squash, tomato sauce with beef and sausage

Having a lot of repeats so it's time to go to the store and find something new to cook.

Energy is A+, I still haven't killed anyone and I'm not having headaches or nearly as much fibro pain.  Started taking the statin - ugh - hope to be able to ditch it down the road but respecting the process and not getting worked up about it.

Bummer -- I'm out of La Croix -- haven't had one in 2 days.  Definitely time to shop!

That's great about the pants. And also the energy, and not having killed anyone. You've come a long way, baby! (Remember those old ads?)

I know what you mean about the repeats. I've got to find some different things at the store for our (gulp!) last week. I think I'll do something in the slow cooker. There seem to be lots of enticing recipes around. And I need to make some sauce or dip so it won't just be grilled something seasoned with spices every night!

I know what you mean about the repeats. I've got to find some different things at the store for our (gulp!) last week. I think I'll do something in the slow cooker. There seem to be lots of enticing recipes around. And I need to make some sauce or dip so it won't just be grilled something seasoned with spices every night!

Ooh, I made the pork (can use beef instead) carnitas in the crock pot and it was a hit with the whole family!  Served over zoodles.  It's in the recipes forum.  I finally got the coconut aminos so I'm making fresh ginger dressing... I'll let you know if that's any good. http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/10/20/zingy-ginger-dressing/  Have a good day chezjulie!

My numbers have been at their best when I've just had several months of eating clean and exercising moderately.  

Hi Emma, sticking to the plan seems to be the best option.  I'm glad you keep moving forward... hey, it's about progress, right?  Do you find that your slides backwards tend to happen at certain times of the year?  It's too soon to worry about it, but winter is definitely NOT my season.  I would be a snow-bird and move to Florida every winter if I could.

I've been eating a lot of repeats too! Ugh.

That's awesome about the pants. I'm 15 days in and not really feeling a ton of difference in my clothes. I try to walk 30 minutes each day, but this week hasn't been much walking. I'm hoping that if I'm a bit more active it'll help the weight go down.

Archived