Iron supplement/anemia

MTNan

i finished up whole 30 about 2 months ago, but have stayed largely compliant since. However, lately I have been feeling weak and dizzy, and got turned away trying to donate blood the other day due to being anemic. I have been looking for an iron supplement, but all that I have found thus far have a horrible list of ingredients, including dextrose, and soy products. Does anyone know of a compliant iron supplement? My first choice is always to get it through food, but I feel like I eat a good amount of all the iron-rich foods I can (excepting whole grains, of course, and I'm sorry, but I'm just not much for liver- I WILL eat it, just don't prefer it). Any help is greatly appreciated!

I will try upping spinach and kale, I already eat at least 4-6 cups of greens per day, usually the spring mix or a mix of spinach/spring mix. Maybe I'll swap that out for spinach/kale mix for a couple weeks. And we eat beef several times a week (I do live in montana, after all!). Thanks!

• Administrators

i finished up whole 30 about 2 months ago, but have stayed largely compliant since. However, lately I have been feeling weak and dizzy, and got turned away trying to donate blood the other day due to being anemic. I have been looking for an iron supplement, but all that I have found thus far have a horrible list of ingredients, including dextrose, and soy products. Does anyone know of a compliant iron supplement? My first choice is always to get it through food, but I feel like I eat a good amount of all the iron-rich foods I can (excepting whole grains, of course, and I'm sorry, but I'm just not much for liver- I WILL eat it, just don't prefer it). Any help is greatly appreciated!

I have to take an iron supplement no matter what I eat. Mine is compliant and while it does have some ingredients in it I would prefer it didn't (colorings), I'm alright with it because the benefit outweighs the negative for me.

Feramax 150 made by BioSyent. Found over the counter at my drug store. Non medicinal ingredients:

Red 28

Yellow 10

Blue 1

Red 40

gelatin

magnesium stearate

microcrystalline cellulose

titanium dioxide

?? Don't get it, am I missing something?    It's also called ear candy or earworm....when a song goes over and over and over in your head.  Titanium dioxide triggered jmcbn's earworm.  Music lovers often have ear candy going through their heads.  Those pesky earworms can keep you up when you're trying to go to sleep.   Tunes keep running through your mind.

1. Titanium
    Song by SiaDavid Guetta
  2. You shout it out,

But I can't hear a word you say

I'm talking loud not saying much

I am titanium

Ghost town and haunted love

Raise your voice, sticks and stones may break my bones

I'm talking loud not saying much

I'm bulletproof, nothing to lose

I am titanium

You shoot me down but I won't fall

I am titanium

I am titanium

I am titanium

Stone-hard, machine… Full lyrics on Google Play

• 2 weeks later...

I've been iron deficient most of my life no matter what I ate. I started taking a product called enfamil fer in sol. It's for toddler's. It's probably not compliant, but I perked up within 2 days of taking it, and no other iron really helped me before. I tried all sorts of iron supplements and this is the first one that has worked for me. Before I took it, I couldn't get out of bed, would have to sit down if I was taking a shower. It does have sucrose and sorbitol in it, which sucks. I have to take it during whole30, I figure it is a medical issue so that is that. I would prefer if they left the sweetener and flavours out. 

I have never heard about enfamil fer in sol. I hope it is available in UK and India.

There are lots of iron supplements without sweeteners, there is no reason to choose one that has them. A quick google search yielded several liquid options sweetened with fruit/dried fruit juice only. Save the sweetened supplements for after your whole30.

Yeah, there are a ton of iron supplements without sweeteners, but they don't all work the same way. I have been taking iron supplements for a long time, for well over a decade. Not only is this the first one I have taken that doesn't make me nauseated or vomit (most of them have me vomiting the supplement right up within ten minutes, even if I take with food) it is also the first one I have taken that actually improved my energy levels.. I took various other iron supplements for months with no change (or minimal) in iron levels. If your body vomits it up, then you can't absorb it. I could try another iron supplement, but I am on disability and money is severely limited- the iron comes out of my food budget, which is already really small. And this diet is more expensive than I can afford to do and eat every day already, so if I buy another iron with fruit juice only and it doesn't work, I am out that money and might as well throw the iron away, plus out money for food, plus no benefits. Plus fructose in fruit juice really spikes my blood sugar but sucralose doesn't (for me). 

This is the first one I have taken that works. Without it I would still be unable to get up out of bed for more than a 30 minutes at a time. So in my case, it makes sense to choose it. I even spent money I didn't have buying iron that was sold as ultra gentle and even that I was puking on and off for an hour after taking the minimum dose. Not good. 

I don't know if it is available in UK and India though. I live in Canada. 

Mantis, just because it works for me doesn't mean it will work for you, though. There are some more expensive irons you can buy which might help. 

Many people don't know, for instance, that if you take an iron pill (in solid form) your body only absorbs a small amount of the iron (up to about 20%) and it is more likely to make you sick, nauseated and constipated. The intestines absorb iron in a liquid source much more easily, up to about 98% of the iron in what you're taking within minutes. 

Anyone who has been on doctor prescribed iron pills for years and not had their iron levels rise (only iron shots helped me before, not even meat eating, even though meat eating is gross to me) understands how hard it can be to find a good iron that actually is absorbed by the body. If you have ulcerations of the bowel and poor absorption problems, it can be even harder to get that iron into your blood and if your money or health insurance is limited you might not be able to afford the injections.

What I have found is that many foods may seem to be high in iron but the method of preparation also matters. For instance, spinach contains oxalic acid which interferes with iron absorption- so if you eat spinach raw, you'll absorb less iron (much less) than if you cook your spinach, (which neutralizes the oxalic acid) so your body has a chance of absorbing the iron. If you are eating raw greens, kale has more bioavailable iron than spinach.

Also, humans absorb heme iron (iron from animal sources, from blood) more easily than non-heme iron but they can absorb more non-heme iron if they pair their iron supplements or iron-rich veggies with significant levels of vitamin C, which increases iron absorption of non-heme iron. 

So Mantishugo, when you eat your (cooked!) spinach or other foods high in iron, pair with a LOT of vitamin C. If unsure, buy vitamin C powder and consume in significant doses. Vitamin C in high doses is also beneficial for various ailments. For me, mega doses of 15,000 mg or more help stop asthma attacks better than the prescription inhalers I have (the inhalers don't really work for me actually and have all sorts of nasty side effects such as heart palps and tachycardia) but 15,000 mg of vit C will stop an asthma attack for me in about 15 minutes. Pretty cool.

Everybody is different but here are my suggestions to help you absorb more iron.

1) cook your spinach! (don't boil it, though, if you boil it then iron will come out in the water, and unless you are drinking the water, will be lost) and pair with tomato sauce high in vitamin C. Also take a vitamin C supplement at the same time as eating your spinach.

2) Look for your iron supplement in LIQUID form. For me, enfamil is the only one in my price range I can get easily at this point- but there are liquid irons with no added sweeteners. I will be trying them eventually. 

3) juice vegetables and add beetroot juice. This is very detoxifying to the liver and will also help the gallbladder dissolve stones and help flush out intrahepatic calcifications and fat from the liver (so will mega doses of vitamin C- vitamin C is also water soluble, in practical terms you don't have to worry about overdosing). 

4) Take a B-12 supplement. B-12 deficiency can lead to anemia, too. B-12 plays an important role in red blood cell production. If you have symptoms of iron deficiency anemia but are taking in a lot of iron and don't have ulcerated bowels or absorption issues, you could be B-12 deficient. Try taking a sublingual B-12 supplement. 

AFTER you do your whole30, try taking blackstrap molasses for iron if you don't have to be low-carb. It is nutrient dense and an excellent source of iron, and very cheap. 

Other things that can cause iron deficiency anemia, other anemias (not all anemias involve iron-deficiency) and chronic fatigue or anemia-like symptoms.

1) chronic internal bleeding from things like interstitial cystitis, ulcerative colitis, stomach ulcers, etc. 

2) throwing up the iron supplements (you'll actually get sicker if you throw them up)

3) copper toxicity can negatively impact red blood cell production but so can a shortage

4) zinc deficiency can cause anemia (and also copper toxicity, as zinc is considered a primary antagonist to copper and when you don't get enough zinc copper stores in the body- especially in the organs- rise and that can lead to copper toxicity which can lead to other problems that include fatigue)

5) copper deficiency can lead to anemias

6) adrenal overload can lead to problems with copper absorption

Frank copper deficiency looks identical to iron deficiency anemia but vegetarians often tend to have too much biounavailable copper circulating in their blood which causes all sorts of problems. 

In short, if you have chronic anemia not caused from blood loss from a chronic condition and have taken a lot of iron supplements and not gotten much relief, check out the importance copper plays in the body in terms of red blood cell production. 

Please check this page out: http://www.drlwilson.com/Articles/copper_toxicity_syndrome.htm

If you're sure you don't have a copper overload (which is more common in vegetarians and vegans) check out this iron supplement, looks good:

http://www.angstrom-mineral.com/angstrom-minerals/angstrom-iron.html

The copper information is interesting. I don't like eating animal flesh, but I am going to start eating mussels and oysters daily for a month and see if that helps. :)

yes - was going to add that some shellfish have an amazing amount of heme-iron (most absorbable) and that's a good place to try too. mussels and oysters in particular I believe have more than red meat. 

I'm with you -- would prefer to get all my nutrients from food, but for whatever reason, my body needs a supplement. I take Corvita, a prescription iron that also contains b12, folic acid, and vitamin c and is sugar, lactose and gluten-free, although it does have some of the strange inactive ingredients listed in an earlier post. it's the generic version of Corvite, and is what my insurance carrier covers. i feel nauseas after taking it, so I take it before I go to bed, that way I sleep through it.

There are certain supplements that are easier on the bowels as well, for instance, Windmill makes an easy to digest OTC iron supplement called FE Caps with stool softener, I used to take those and, as someone with lifelong chronic constipation, it didn't make things worse. And you can often find Windmill products on sale in independent pharmacies, at least here in NY they are permanently BOGO at King's pharmacy. 

Hope that helps -- and Tom, those articles were super helpful about paleo + iron deficiency, thanks for posting!

Well, maybe I can eat some shellfish because eating oysters doesn't upset me the same way eating a mammal does. But maybe limit them because of the mercury? I wish our oceans weren't so polluted.  :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Lexical, thank you for the information about Iron deficiency and for the links, I will go through them. There are couple of Iron suppement pills which I used to take but they never worked for me. And, I don't wanna go for meat either as I have turned into vegetarian last month.

Hi mantishugo- definitely get an easily absorbable liquid form- this way you can split the dose up easily in herbal tea or with vitamin C rich food if it makes you nauseated- you can't do that easily with the pills. Plus the liquid stuff is generally a lot easier to absorb than the pills.

If the liquid supplements don't work for you, consider iron shots.

Have a nice day.

Guest Andria

Please consider going to the doctor to properly diagnose the cause of your anemia.  There are many other causes of anemia other than iron deficiency.

• Administrators

The liquid vitamin point is a great one.  I've recently switched as many of my supplements as possible to their liquid forms, and the difference has been significant.  Here's the liquid iron that I take if anyone is interested:  http://purevites.com/iron-liquid

This would not be approved for use during Whole30 as it contains soy and several sweeteners.

Archived