Whole30 First Timer

KeraMae

Hello All!

As stated in the title, this is my very first Whole30... Which I plan to actually make a WholeRestOfMyLife.

I am 22 years old, 5'8" and somewhere between 160-180 lbs (haven't weighed in in a while). I grew up dancing 7 days a week, and because of that stayed in good shape but I've always been a "thicker" girl.

As far as eating habits are concerned, post high school I took more than a couple nutrition classes and they sparked a strong desire to learn about foods, and how the affect us on a cellular level. I've always made healthy eating choices, so much so that many of my friends hate going out with me because I always order too healthy. (A salad, no dressing, no croutons, no cheese, and a plain grilled chicken breast was standard) However, recent stress over the last 6 or 7 months has caused me to tail spin in terms of diet and exercise, and my sugar cravings have become so out of control, I felt like a junkie. I seemed to have no limit as to how much junk I could eat in one sitting.

To boot, I'd often eat A TON of junk right before I went to sleep, and then I'd sleep for upwards of 11 hours. When I say "a ton" of junk, I'm talking, 24 cookies 2 bagels with cream cheese, and a half pint of brownie ice cream. I'd eat passed the point of being full and still just NEED the sweet taste, so I'd continue to eat. Additionally, I have been heavily caffeine dependent for many years now. I work graveyards in an ER, and rely on coffee A LOT to get me through the night. So I would generally drink 3-4 cups a day with lots of sweet creamer, and maybe 8oz of water a week. Yes, I said, A WEEK. I don't drink juice, or soda, so literally I just drink iced coffee.

I began to gain weight, obviously, my skin (which I have have always had issues with) began to break out more than normal, I was cranky and tired always. And the insecurities were/are taking over my life.

I began the Whole30 4 days ago, and am keeping track of my feelings per day, and logging my foods in MyFitnessPal.

I hope to see a massive change over the next few months but am interested to know, emotionally and physically what you all experienced when you started this journey.

Hi Keramae - welcome to whole30ville! 

I assume you're just using myfitnesspal to log foods and NOT to track macros/calories etc?

I've been whole30ing for a few months now and for me it's been more of an emotional journey - I didn't really have weight to lose, but I had developed some bad eating habits and I fet that theses were also effecting my moods. So the biggest & most important change I've seen for me is that my moods are on an even keel, and I feel 'happy' and content. My cravings have gone, and I no longer feel the need to snack... 

Best of luck with your journey - you're in the right place for support  :)

Hi jmcbn!

You are correct, I am only using my fitness pal to log my meals, as I find it convenient.

I am happy to hear about your moods improving, how is your energy?

Thanks so much for your encouragement!

Hi jmcbn!

You are correct, I am only using my fitness pal to log my meals, as I find it convenient.

I am happy to hear about your moods improving, how is your energy?

Thanks so much for your encouragement!

Good stuff - counting calories, measuring, tracking macros etc are all off limits in whole30 so just checking!!

Yep, energy levels are great. I work full time, train six days a week and have two kids to chauffeur to & from school & theur various activities so I've a busy schedule... I think it's important to include a portion of starchy veg each day, especially if you are active.

Don't be afraid of the good fats as these will help keep your cravings at bay, as well as keeping you fuller for longer so there'll be no need for you to snack on dried fruit, fruit, nuts & nut butters which tend to keep that sugar dragon (and that hand to mouth snacking habit) alive... Stick to the templates, three times a day, and you'll not go far wrong... 

• Moderators

I would encourage you to step away from MyFitnessPal completely. No good comes from logging your food in that environment. It and all similar apps are a part of the weighing and measuring culture and has no place in a Whole30. Logging the way MyFitnessPal cues you to log is not healthy. You can log your food here on the forum and get feedback to help you troubleshoot your Whole30 as days go by if you want to keep a record of your food. Here we ask you to report your food in terms of our meal planning template - http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Archived