Carbs

lcs75

Hello All,

looking back at my day today I think I did not have a lot of carbs, manly veg, meat, egg, coconut oil/cream and nuts.

I felt hungry today and like something was missing. I did a run this morning and only had sweet potato tonight. Should I make an effort to eat starchy veg for brekkie when I run? Performance is at an all low at the moment anyhow, so I don't want to make it even worse.

Thanks + cheerio x

I just took a peek at your log. I don't think it's an issue with carbs: I feel you're underfeeding yourself. You want to build meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours, not 2.

Some specifics on your day 2:

- when you have caffeine at meal 1, have it after your meal, as caffeine can be an appetite suppressant

-the apple/rhubarb/coconut mixture at lunch is kind of desserty

- soup isn't very satiating. Hard to tell how much total protein and veg you had, but I would increase those before adding the fruit.

- the recommended snack is a mini-meal of protein, veg and fat. Nuts are a fat source.

- try experimenting with adding pre and post workout meals too. Pre is protein and fat (the hard boiled egg you have planned plan will work), and post is protein and carb.

Where are you at in your monthly cycle? If you're about to have or on your period, then yes, carb-dense vegetables at least once daily is a good move. Experiment with what meal(s) works best for you to include them.

Are you drinking at least 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily?

Thanks Chris,

I will play around with portion sizes and consider the dessert question. Until I get it right, what compliant mini-meals do you recommend when i am on the road - nuts always seemed the easy option.

I am in the middle of my cycle - why do I need extra carbs during my period?

I easily drink 77oz of water every day, probably more - sometimes I have to watch it at work. I take it that it combines water and tea (I drink everything but black tea)?

Thanks Chris,

I will play around with portion sizes and consider the dessert question. Until I get it right, what compliant mini-meals do you recommend when i am on the road - nuts always seemed the easy option.

I am in the middle of my cycle - why do I need extra carbs during my period?

I easily drink 77oz of water every day, probably more - sometimes I have to watch it at work. I take it that it combines water and tea (I drink everything but black tea)?

Melissa explains the carbs/PMS phenomenon here.http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/46-pms-and-carbohydrate-cravings/?p=179 Forum member Karen offers further insight here:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/18353-hormones-and-sugar/?p=192963

So with the water you're drinking, you're currently around 154 lbs?

Re: compliant mini-meals on the road, consider toting an insulated bag with any of the following (off the top of my head):

- hard boiled eggs and sliced peppers

- canned tuna in olive oil with carrots on the side

- compliant prosciutto, cooked sweet potato, and olives

- compliant jerky, jicama sticks and avocado

- sardines in olive oil and compliant pickles

- egg, tuna, chicken or salmon salad made with homemade mayo with snap peas on the side

- leftover veg frittata

Hi Chris,

I'm about 140-145lbs.

Thanks for the mini-meals, canned tuna in olive oil sounds like a handbag food that lasts forever, great, and I could always pop in the supermarket for that and some raw veg :)

No snacks today, I ate a bit too much for breakfast and lunch and have not been hungry at either meal - I have posted the meals, i think it was too much meat today.

I will also start to have my coffee (I only have 1 a day) with my breakfast, and see how that feels.

Cheerio

Archived