Non-Traditional Schedule

I work a "non-traditional schedule", it's 12 hour shifts rotating not quite weekly rotation (a little tough to explain. Usually 3-5 days for each rotation, so most weeks I work both days and nights). I'm looking for suggestions on meal times because sleep is so sporadic and interrupted I'm not sure when to eat. Normally I still follow a more traditional meal schedule because I don't get very hungry in the middle of the night, but that usually leaves me eating meal 1 right before going to sleep. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Having adequate food and adequate sleep is more important than any timing arrangement between the two. So in your case it might be best to have 4 or 5 meals on hand that are on the smaller side of the template, that way you can eat them when it fits best with that day's work and sleep schedule. The main thing will be that when you're in one of the weird phases, to be able to have good protein & fats & vegetables available rather than having to resort to something snacky.

Sleeping after I eat has never been an issue, I might even sleep better.... I guess I was more worried about the general rule about not eating within 2-3 hours of sleep. So, my thinking was that If I'm going to sleep around 7AM then my last meal should be before 5?

Amy- Yes, the article was informative. Especially the strict sleeping schedule. Right now, I tend to sleep when I'm tired or sometimes due to the nature of my job I am able to take naps at work that can last from 20 minutes to 3 hours. Sometimes when I come home, I go right to bed after waking the kids up for school. Other days I'm up for a few more hours. Even with all the irregularity I'm usually totaling around 6 hours for sleep everyday but it's usually broken up.

I will be working nights again in about a week. I'm going to try and stay awake all night and go for a solid 6 hours of sleep during the day.

Archived