Plant based stevia free protein powder on whole30

Gloryshea

I tend to get my food from whole sources but as an athlete and instructor of fitness I get hungry often. Also my boyfriend is on the whole 30 with me and is allergic to eggs. We both need some variety of easy protein for around workouts and snacks. Has anyone tried sunwarrior warrior blend? I used the vanilla which is wonderful prior to whole 30. They make an unsweetened plain grain free powder and I was hoping this was approved. Thoughts?

• Administrators

No, this is not alright, it has both stevia and pea protein powder, neither of which are approved. Further to that, we like you to eat your food, not drink it. :)

Doing what we've always done...we'll get what we've always gotten.   All protein powders are easy but they're engineered in a lab/factory.  They're denatured proteins and cannot compare to eating authentic proteins straight from the source.  They are not Whole 30 for omnivores and won't improve health or contribute to a healthy relationship with real whole foods in the long run.

They make a variety without stevia. And while we do prefer to get food from all whole sources, I don't like eating meat all the time and like I mentioned eggs are limited due to his allergy. I did the autoimmune protocol for 4 months so I'm very aware of things I can eat but I was hoping it would help with his breakfast options.

• Administrators

They make a variety without stevia. And while we do prefer to get food from all whole sources, I don't like eating meat all the time and like I mentioned eggs are limited due to his allergy. I did the autoimmune protocol for 4 months so I'm very aware of things I can eat but I was hoping it would help with his breakfast options.

I surmise that the stevia free one is still going to have pea protein powder which will still make it non compliant. You can drink it if you want but you won't be doing a Whole30.

• Moderators

Consuming powders may be convenient, but it is far from necessary. We had a special forces operator on the forum several years ago whose training was everything you might imagine for a special forces type guy and he emphasized that he thought his success had a lot to do with his eating meat and veggies the way he did. I train 90 minutes per day many days of the week and do just fine eating 3 basic meals per day and adding a can of tuna as a post-workout meal after a session of heavy lifting. Because I often workout in 3 separate sessions, two of them heavy, I sometimes eat a can of tuna after each heavy session.

Your Whole30 is a time to eat differently than you normally do. If you submit yourself to the discipline of getting into the spirit of the Whole30 and really embracing whole foods, you will learn things that you may decide to continue long-term. If you don't embrace whole foods now, you will never know how things might be for you. 

I thought I had read somewhere that peas were ok? I must be mistaken. Thank you. Going to keep this powder free as I seem to be out of alternatives. Boyfriend said he is going to attempt duck eggs. This will be awesome if he can. Will open up a world of variety. Just pricey.

Consuming powders may be convenient, but it is far from necessary. We had a special forces operator on the forum several years ago whose training was everything you might imagine for a special forces type guy and he emphasized that he thought his success had a lot to do with his eating meat and veggies the way he did. I train 90 minutes per day many days of the week and do just fine eating 3 basic meals per day and adding a can of tuna as a post-workout meal after a session of heavy lifting. Because I often workout in 3 separate sessions, two of them heavy, I sometimes eat a can of tuna after each heavy session.

Your Whole30 is a time to eat differently than you normally do. If you submit yourself to the discipline of getting into the spirit of the Whole30 and really embracing whole foods, you will learn things that you may decide to continue long-term. If you don't embrace whole foods now, you will never know how things might be for you.

• Moderators

I thought I had read somewhere that peas were ok? I must be mistaken. 

The Whole30 has a modified plan for vegetarians that allows pea protein powder or hemp protein powder because the choices available to vegetarians makes consuming enough protein challenging. The modifications made to accommodate vegetarians are not extended to omnivores because they come with issues that make them less than ideal. 

• Administrators

Snow peas and sugar snap peas are allowed on all Whole30 plans, maybe that's what you were thinking? Just eating green peas by themselves though (or in protein powder) is not allowed because the actual pea is a legume.

Archived