Whole100, Far more serious..

WholeMama623

I am doing this whole30 log for my emotional ramblings only.

I participate in a whole30 thread where I list my daily meals, and I don't want to do it here too.

What this is for, is to document my day to day experiences. I want to keep a log of my feelings, both physically, and mentally throughout the process.

With that being said, a little about me..

I'm a 28 year old female with a 10 month old daughter. I have Celiac Disease and Hashimoto's/Underactive thyroid. This is my second whole30, but in my mind, it kind of feels like my first. My first one was full of far too much nut butters, larabars, and fruit. I wasn't really following meal templates 100% and I snacked.. a lot. So, when my 30 days were over and I only lost 4 lbs, I was not too happy. Looking back, I can see where it all went wrong. I was never prepared, and never precooked. It's overwhelming!

So I started this whole30 on 5/1. In all honesty, I want to take It much longer, and am considering a whole90 if I can make it that long without wanting to give in. I noticed previously that at day30, I felt like I was JUST then getting to the good "stuff" of the program, and I immediately did reintroduction( and by "reintroduction" I mean, I went to DC and have EVERY SINGLE bad thing in ONE day). I realize this time that this HAS to be a long term diet for me with my ever growing list of Autoimmune Diseases.

Day 1- Friday. Easy. I had precooked up some food the night before with my friend who came over to keep me company. I worked on Friday, so it's pretty easy to stay on track when I can only eat what I bring with me.

Day 2- Saturday. Got up early, headed to the farmer's market with my husband and daughter for cheap produce and then spent the morning running errands with my Mom. I did start to get a little hungry, and managed to find a complaint item that I could eat. I didn't "plan" on snacking, but I was over an hour from home and had to have a plan. I felt good. I started to notice a nagging headache, but that was about it. Went to see a movie later with the husband, and ate out at a restaurant I'd stalked online for compliant food. The only reason I even ate out was because this had been planned FAR before I started the whole30, so I couldn't back out.

Day 3 - HOLY. HANGOVER. PHASE. Felt pretty miserable upon waking. I forced myself to eat my big, filling breakfast and we left the house to do some shopping. I was hot, tired, had ZERO energy, and this STUPID HEADACHE! I had to ask my husband if we could go home. It was getting past lunch time, and I knew that I needed to eat. I got myself a black coffee and almost immediately, it helped my headache. I knew feeling like this was normal, but I looked up some whole30 stuff and it made me feel a ton better about being a bitchy, tired & cranky 28 year old. Got some food in me and I started to feel good. I had a smaller dinner since lunch was later. Slept like crap.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today! Day 4!

it's 10:45am, and I am exhausted. I feel like I could lay my head down on my desk and go right to sleep. Not feeling hungry, and drinking some black tea. Isn't today supposed to be one of the worst? KILL ALL THINGS day? Well, I'm not there yet, because I just want to sleep. I am seriously dragging. When weather permits, I always walk on my lunch break at work. Being out in the sun really helps recharge me and gets me out of my cubicle for a bit. Looking forward to the sunny break...

Day 5...

Really dragging this morning. I am so so tired, and feeling a little weak. I think maybe I skipped the KILL ALL THINGS days and went right to the sleepy days, which I'm okay with. I don't need to piss everyone off by being angry.

Had to go out last night and get some more veggies and my husband is starting his first whole30 today and that means we are going to need A LOT more food.

I am eating too many carby veggies right now, but they happen to be my favorite. Sweet potatoes, and roasted brussel sprouts. I have been eating some summer squash too and lots of big salads. I need to start looking up some recipes as I'm already getting semi bored with just whipping together quick foods, and it's entirely too early for that. I'd love to make some chocolate chili. I also need to incorporate more fish and other meats other than beef. I have some chicken at home I need to fix up, and I'd love to do something with shrimp and scallops.

Today I'm going to look up some recipes.

• Administrators

Hey Wholemama, your extra tired/weak today could be from a lighter eating day yesterday?  Nutrition tends to be cumulative and light meals are harder to make up for right away.

Also note that brussel sprouts and summer squash are not considered carby veggies. :)

Day 6.

THE FOG HAS LIFTED!

I woke up this morning and I felt like the fog has lifted. I feel energized, and not like I want to fall asleep in my chair at work. Instead of fighting to keep my eyes open on my way to work, today I was energetically singing along to the songs! I hope this is the whole30 starting to kick in, but my daughter did sleep the entire night last night, and my doctor has me on prescription strength Vitamin D. Maybe that is kicking in as well? I'm not sure I really care what is causing it because I finally feel good!

Having thyroid issues means I usually feel tired, and foggy. Maybe my medication is finally right? Who knows. Everything seems to be falling into place.

I've got a nice hefty lunch here at work today, and I plan on taking a walk at lunch, even if it is already 85 out. Gotta love Maryland. We go from Winter to Summer EVERY single year. There is no spring here. I'm not complaining though. This winter was miserable. I'm ready for some warmth.

My husband started a whole 30 yesterday. I am happy that I will have his support because he's doing this along with me!

Having a hubby on board is so nice!  My husband and I did the first Whole30 together and it made a big difference.  It also meant that ever since then we both have a similar vision of what dinners can look like.

You talked about doing a Whole90 - it seems like such a commitment, but you're right.  I start feeling better around Day 30.  It's got to be rough dealing with the thyroid issues as well AND a young baby!   Glad you're feeling good in that 85 degree weather! :)  

Having a hubby on board is so nice!  My husband and I did the first Whole30 together and it made a big difference.  It also meant that ever since then we both have a similar vision of what dinners can look like.

You talked about doing a Whole90 - it seems like such a commitment, but you're right.  I start feeling better around Day 30.  It's got to be rough dealing with the thyroid issues as well AND a young baby!   Glad you're feeling good in that 85 degree weather! :)

Thank you Emma!! yes, having my hubby on board will make a nice difference in not being distracted by horrible food!

Yes. My goal is a Whole100. It would end right before I go on vacation to Disney World with my family. They are a mecca for gluten free foods and I'm kind of afraid about unleashing myself there. I'm hoping after a LONG whole100 that i'll be able to see so many benefits that I won't want to stray off the path. Why undo everything just to eat sickly sweet crap ?

Day 7

Not feeling as hot today as I did yesterday. I have a bit of a headache and I'm going back and forth between some black iced coffee we made at home, and water. I want to take an advil or something but I don't know what the "rules" are on it.

My face has been breaking out, and it looks terrible. I'm not sure if it's the whole30, or upcoming TOM, but it's annoying.

I'm guessing yesterday I didn't have enough water, as getting my wedding bands on this morning was a real struggle (that I normally don't have). I need to get better at the water drinking.

I walked on my lunch break yesterday and with my daughter last night. Total it was close to an hour. I really need to keep doing this every day.

I've been going to the bathroom at least once a day which for me is a new thing. My Celiac always caused me to be backed up, even after I ate gluten free. It's nice.

Oh, I still have had almost ZERO sugar since starting my Whole30. Husband brought home pineapple last night, and I declined. I had WAYYYY too much sugar on my last whole30 and I think it was one of the reasons I wasn't as successful as I wanted to be. It caused me to snack a lot, and I really did treat it as a dessert, so I'm avoiding it for now.

Going to the bathroom!  Thats always nice news.  I look at my kids deposits and see how much younger and less corrupt their bodies are.  Someday maybe I'll have ones like theirs! :)

I looked at the timeline a LOT on this Whole30.  It was a pretty graceful start I think and I don't really recall feeling super moody, but I know I had new injuries pop up and wasn't feeling particularly great.  You're a quarter of the way in - good going!

Thank you Emma!

I feel like I should rename my thread. I am going to do a Whole100 (I won't say "trying to do" because I refuse to set myself up to fail). It's a bit of an undertaking, but I want to commit to doing it. Since clean eating is crucial to feeling better to those with autoimmune diseases, I really want to give my body ample time to heal and take a break from the horrible foods I'd been eating. My last whole30 was just a giant countdown to the END goal. It's actually kind of pointless to me to do a 30 day whole30, and then plan to reintroduce EVERYTHING back.. I don't want this to be a challenge, but a lifestyle. So, I'm going do it for much longer. At the end of my first, I just started to feel normal, and then BAM! 30 days were up.

I made roasted parsnips and carrots the other day and they were heavenly! I thought about them all day and couldn't wait to eat them again for dinner that night! I'm not sure that I've ever been that excited about GOOD, Healthy foods before. It was a wonderful thing to realize that I could actually crave and enjoy this stuff (unlike last time).

I think 100 days is much more likely to get me used to this lifestyle and way of eating. I am looking forward to it, even though I KNOW it will have it's challenges!

Oh yeah.. I've finished off nearly a POUND jar of Ghee in 5 days. Holy. Crap.

To be fair, my Husband started a whole30 a couple days after me, so we've both been using it. At this rate, maybe I should just learn to make it on my own.

Day 8!!!

Not too much to reflect on this morning. Feeling pretty good, but getting low on food in the house. We will need to get to the store this weekend and stock back up again. I need some veggie ideas! I'm eating a TON of sweets and brussel sprouts. Finally ate some spaghetti squash and made some butternut but haven't eaten it yet.

The weekends are usually tough, but with hubby now on board, it should be much better because he won't be eating without me.

i have 1 of those strainers you put over cans to drain .. and put a cheese cloth in that and pour my clarified butter into the container that way... Just a thought - and making your own will save you a bunch of ch-ching !!  Good luck with making your own

Day 8!!!

Not too much to reflect on this morning. Feeling pretty good, but getting low on food in the house. We will need to get to the store this weekend and stock back up again. I need some veggie ideas! I'm eating a TON of sweets and brussel sprouts. Finally ate some spaghetti squash and made some butternut but haven't eaten it yet.

The weekends are usually tough, but with hubby now on board, it should be much better because he won't be eating without me.

My favorites are roasting asparagus and cauliflower. Just toss them in EVOO, pop them in at 400 for 25-40 minutes (depending on the size), and you're done! Cauliflower "rice" is also fantastic. And I always keep a big bag of frozen broccoli florets on hand to cook up in a pan. Zucchini also cooks quickly, and is extremely versatile. You could also think about dishes that include veggies automatically, like a curry or stuffed peppers. 

My favorites are roasting asparagus and cauliflower. Just toss them in EVOO, pop them in at 400 for 25-40 minutes (depending on the size), and you're done! Cauliflower "rice" is also fantastic. And I always keep a big bag of frozen broccoli florets on hand to cook up in a pan. Zucchini also cooks quickly, and is extremely versatile. You could also think about dishes that include veggies automatically, like a curry or stuffed peppers. 

Great idea! We have 3 heads of cauliflower. I can't decide if I want to make mash, or roast them, but I will do something with them soon!

i have 1 of those strainers you put over cans to drain .. and put a cheese cloth in that and pour my clarified butter into the container that way... Just a thought - and making your own will save you a bunch of ch-ching !!  Good luck with making your own

Good idea!! We forgot all weekend to get cheesecloth, so no ghee yet :(

Day 11

According to the whole30 timeline Days 10/11 are the days most likely for someone doing the whole30 to quit. I'm doing okay so far. Yesterday, I just didn't have much of an appetite, and will admit I "snacked" on compliant foods because I just couldn't stomach a whole meal. TOM hit yesterday and I'm guessing that's why I'm lack of appetite.

We made our own Mayo on Saturday night!!! It was so so good, and incredibly easy. The first batch we didn't read the directions and ended up with soup (and wasted a LOT of olive oil). But we tried it again, and it turned out PERFECT. My husband made me whole30 friendly frittata for Mother's Day! 6 eggs, arugula, onions, tomatoes, and peppers with a sweet potato crust.  I ate a ton of it with some homemade mayo. Delicious!!!

Feeling quite sleepy this morning even though my child slept pretty awesome last night. It's also SO hot and humid here already today. I think it's making me sleepy!

hi there again -  you can also skim off the dairy portion of the butter when making your ghee-- I did that before getting cheese cloth - just spoon It off as it comes to the top.

I have messed up mayo as well - my blender would over heat - lost 2 batches that way.  Now I use a stick blender and WHAA LAAA   perfection !

keep your recipes coming - I'm in a rut and you are giving me some wonderful ideas !!

Tina - we used out stick blender the first time, we just didn't follow the recipe and poured all the olive oil in before blending!!! Didn't work! We figured it out and started over, and it was beautiful! Sadly, we used it in like 3 days, and now we don't have any more. We are going to have to buy like a gallon size of olive oil to keep up with this!

Last night hubby made handrolls. They were pretty good. Nori sheets, avocado, canned salmon that was compliant mixed with homemade mayo, cucumber, and red pepper. They were nice and light which was good since I was super nauseous yesterday. TMI, but my period is really beating me up this month. The smells of foods yesterday were making me seriously feel like I could barf. I think I need to talk to my Gyno next month and see what's going on. So, my appetite has been lacking, which is so strange. It never is during this time.

This week is tight financially and we have like no food left. We don't get paid until Thursday/Friday, so we are going to have to get real creative for the next couple days. We do have cauliflower, and more parsnips, two small summer squashes, and a pack of zucchini. We also have some scallops and more meat. SO I think we'll be okay, but we need way more food than I though for two people for a week. This is going to be expensive....

Day12

Noticing that my clothes are feeling a TAD bit looser even though it's TOM. My face is slowly clearing up too.

I haven't been having too many issues with cravings or problems because we haven't been going out to eat. I've still been majorly avoiding sugar/fruit. Last whole30 I was living off of dates, and larabars, and nut butter. NOPE. Won't even allow myself to buy them this time. I know it will just throw me off.

I am doing fine drinking black coffee, but I do miss the creamy sweetness that is my regular coffee. This might be one of the only things I reintro before vacation (September) but I'm not sure yet. It could just be my "craving" right now.

I do think about what my LONG TERM goals are following a whole100. I don't want all this to be a waste. I think a LOT of things will stay out of my diet  like soy, grains, most dairy, and I know I can live without beans. I have no issues with them. My mind does keep thinking about my vacation and how excited I've been to eat gluten free treats in Disney World. I guess i'll cross that bridge when I get there!

Archived