Whole100, Far more serious..

WholeMama623

omg, memorial day weekend. sh*t. i totally hadn't thought about that. thank you for bringing it up! going out of town for a weekend with family, and yeah, why shouldn't i bring a bottle of mayonnaise along with my bathing suit, jean shorts, and sunblock ;) alright, time to make a FOOD PACKING LIST. 

btw, i'm so inspired that you're doing W100! each day seems like both a marathon and a sprint. it happens so quickly, but yesterday seems like a year ago. I will be tagging along on your journey ;)

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right!!!  I will def be bringing my own mayonnaise with me for sure. It's so amazing. I ate it with my burger at lunch and then ate my veggies with it because I had extra. it's just do decadent. I could eat it on everything!!

You are right about the whole100. I can't believe tomorrow it's been 20 days already, but then when I think about 80 more days, it seems like forever. It's practically the entire summer. I really think it's what I need though, and I'm hoping that at the end, I can stick to VERY paleo, and only have off road treats occasionally. Why do 100 days, just to go back to the way I was eating before? Such waste. I'm going to keep making my own mayo for sure. It's just way better than anything I've ever had before. I'll probably keep making ghee too, because I think dairy is bothersome for me.

Way to go!

Could the breakouts be from yeast die off or something similar?

Also, about the coffee. Can you do coconut milk? I find it sweet enough to curb the desire. I too miss cream and sugar :(

Way to go!

Could the breakouts be from yeast die off or something similar?

Also, about the coffee. Can you do coconut milk? I find it sweet enough to curb the desire. I too miss cream and sugar :(

I really think it could be die off! I don't know why else they'd KEEP coming! It finally looks like it maybe dying down now, I hope it's for good this time. It looked this way a few days ago, and then  more popped up!

I tried coconut milk the other day, and I didn't really like it! I'm sure I could learn to if I needed to, but it must be an acquired taste!

Day 20! 1/5th of the way done!

Last night I had a quick dinner at home, and took my daughter out and ran some errands with my mom. I met her at a restaurant, but didn't eat. It's a place that seems like the food would be okay, but I know better. There is probably hidden soy/dairy in the veggies and everything else. I passed. It wasn't even that hard, but I was full from dinner.

Today my work is providing lunch for us. I emailed the company who's catering to find out that the green beans have a "soy/butter alternative" so I will have to skip them and just have grilled steak, and a baked potato. I brought my own veggies to eat as well. So glad I checked, because I would have gotten the green beans normally. They do have AMAZING ice cream, so that will be hard to watch everyone eat, but I'll be fine.

here are my take away lessons for today (realized yesterday):

1) Coffee keeps up at night. Even if drank in the morning. I've been sleeping great. I've been skipping the coffee, and sleeping like a baby. Yesterday, I have coffee and I'm all night. Just can't stay asleep. Tossing, turning, ect. maybe it wasn't the coffee, but I can't find any other reason it would have happened.

2) drinking LaCroix makes me drink water slower. The carbonation makes me feel full and keeps me from slamming water like I normally do. From now on, LaCroix will be an end of the day treat and not my first "water" intake of the morning. It just slows me down too much.

Well, Coffee may NOT have been the culprit for poor sleep, because I slept terribly last night too. Tossing/Turning, not able to get comfy. I feel like I get my best sleep in the few hours before the alarm goes off, and I don't really like that.

Day21!

We are getting super low on food at the house. We will have to do a grocery run tonight as we have nearly nothing. I have one egg left.

I seem to have no appetite at all. Last night I had two burgers with grilled mushrooms/onions with lettuce tomato and some cashews. That's all I had all night. I didn't really get hungry either. Wondering if my appetite will ever return.

On the plus side, my work pants are getting loose! Normally after they are cleaned, they are pretty tight when I put them on and only get looser during the day when they've been stretched out. I can tell a difference today even in the legs! Woohoo!!

Sorry about the poor sleep. That's the worst!

I got some So Delicious Culinary Coconut Milk, which comes in little cartons, and it's pretty good stuff. It's kind of thick and fluffy, and the little packs are more convenient to me than a opening a can. (Although they can be very hard to squeeze the coconut milk out of halfway through).

I have read other people on the forums say that their acne gets worse before it gets better. Perhaps because we're changing our hormones on the Whole30.

I can't believe you only have one egg in the house. That's got to be some kind of Whole30 violation!  ;)  I hope you can find some different things to eat that you'll enjoy. 

LOL! Right! Only one egg!!!

I will have to settle for store bought since my work hook up didn't have any today with her. The fresh ones so way better. :(

Today has been BLAHHHHHH so far.

My daughter woke up SOO late this morning. I barely had time to make my lunch which usually means it's going to suck. I'm really going to have to get back in the habit of making my lunch before I got to bed so it's ready!

I had 3 eggs for breakfast, and that's it! (eeep. No veggies)

Lunch was a burger, with broccoli, and asparagus with ghee.

No idea what we are having for dinner. I'm slightly obsessed with Fish these days and feel like I could eat it for every meal!

You're not doing bad today since you've had protein and fat plus two servings of veggies. 

You know, I was thinking about suggesting fish to you. So much of the Whole30 food is kind of heavy and dense - beef, sausage, chili, eggs - and when I've had seafood it's been a treat to eat something lighter. I had some really nice pan seared rainbow trout one night, and got some shrimp steamed at the grocery last week.

I've got to get a fresh egg hook-up.

Like fish? Try ginger scallion fish cakes! Best dinner ever (just add appropriate amount of veggies)...

2 eggs, 1lb pre-blanched cod, 1/2 c almond flour, 1/2c chopped scallions, 1t grated fresh ginger, 1/2t red pepper flakes, salt, pepper- Mix all together, drop dollops on frying pan in coconut oil. Squeeze lime or lemon juice over before serving. If you can make some mayo, you can make tartar sauce. You have to buy eggs anyway, right? ;)

Those recipes sound amazing!!! Will have to try!

Day 22!

Might have gotten a little overzealous today.. put on some pants that I haven't been able to wear in a LONG time. They fit, and zip, but they are tighter than I'd like when my job requires sitting all day. I'd rather being in pants to loose than pants that are too tight.

This does mean that I'm losing weight though! I couldn't even get these pants on a few months ago!

Those recipes sound amazing!!! Will have to try!

Day 22!

Might have gotten a little overzealous today.. put on some pants that I haven't been able to wear in a LONG time. They fit, and zip, but they are tighter than I'd like when my job requires sitting all day. I'd rather being in pants to loose than pants that are too tight.

This does mean that I'm losing weight though! I couldn't even get these pants on a few months ago!

That's such a great feeling! I sit all day too, I hear ya on comfy pants lol

I am staying away from my smaller pants for at least another 2 weeks lol I don't want to try them on just to get disappointed. 

If it were me, I would insist on wearing the pants and just stand at work all day!  :lol:

Good morning everyone!! Hope everyone had a great weekend!

I'm now on Day 26 !!

We had a very busy weekend, and it was a little stressful food wise, but I made it through.

The husband and I decided to go to National Harbor on Saturday for something to do. It was beautiful, but nothing compliant to eat, ANYWHERE! There were places that had steaks but they were $50 and we just couldn't justify that, so we left after being there for 2.3 - 3 hours. I wasn't willing to put my whole100 at risk to spend money on really EXPENSIVE food.

Saturday night Hubby and I went out just the two of us. I put on pants that I've had in my closet that I've never worn because they were too tight, and lo and behold, they were falling off! They were literally too big. Not sure I will wear them again! WOOHOO! What a NSV!

Sunday we were at a cookout. I took compliant chicken and apple sausage and ate two completely plain burgers. I also had a small amount of watermelon, and strawberries. I made it out alive, and it really wasn't too hard.

Yesterday was laid back, and we were at home most of the day, so I just ate food at home.

The only thing I'm bummed about is my face KEEPS BREAKING OUT!!! There seems to be no end to this. I'm 26 days in and I keep thinking my face will get better, but it seems like every other day,  I get another nasty whitehead on my face! I have no idea what could be causing this, and I'm getting irritated.

Also...

Weight...

I have an endocrinologist appointment on June 9th. I'll be about 40 days in. I know they are going to weigh me. Since I am not physically dragging out the scale myself, I think I'll  just let it happen. I'll see what it says, and move on.

Oh yes... (truly rambling now....)

I figured out this weekend that something I'm eating is upsetting my stomach.

I narrowed it down to onions, or avocado, but I'm really thinking onions. They were cooked in my eggs this weekend, and after I ate them I felt really sick. This has happened for awhile, but I haven't been able to figure it out. It always used to happen when I went to Waffle House and got onions in my eggs, so I think for now, I'm going to skip them and see if the uneasiness stops.

Day 27!

Last night I ate some cherry tomatoes after dinner, within 10 minutes I was bloated and my stomach hurt really bad. I am really starting to think that nightshades are an issue for me. Isn't onion a nightshade too, or am I imagining that? Either way, looks like I'll avoid tomatoes AND onions for now to see if this stops.

My meals have been awful lately. Just throwing random compliant foods together without much thought. It makes things very very boring. I never have time in the morning to make a proper breakfast and end up not eating to the template. My daughter is a handful right now, and I'm alone in the morning. Some days, like today, she just cries for me to hold her. I'm trying to get dressed, dry my hair, brush my teeth, pack my lunch, and make breakfast, & usually my breaking is what suffers. I need to find a breakfast type recipe for meal1. I need to make a  big ol' batch of something so I can just warm it up every day! I eat 3 eggs a day, so for 5 days my breakfast would have 15 eggs!!!! that's over a carton each. LOL. Still, it'd be worth it to not have to worry about breakfast every morning. Does anyone have any awesome batch recipes?

Hey, WholeMama, that's a bummer about the thrown together meals. I can't imagine how challenging it would be to get ready for work and try to do a Whole30 breakfast with a small child to attend to, too. Have you seen the recipe for Turkey Blueberry Breakfast Muffins (more like round meatloaves apparently, and yes they're compliant)? That seems like something you might be able to nosh one-handed.  :P

I think the main nightshades are tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant. The bloating and gas stuff is crazy to me. I rarely had issues when I was eating my old pseudo-healthy, carb-y, sugar-y diet, unless I had an enormous meal at a nice restaurant or something. I feel like other people on the program are having their digestion issues resolve, while I'm having this major new issue crop up! Did you have an issue with tomatoes or onions before, or did it just start while on W30?

Take care and thanks for the supportive comments on my log! It has really helped to know people are reading and rooting for me. 

• Moderators

When I need easy breakfasts, I do a breakfast casserole, with eggs, breakfast sausage, sweet potato, and usually spinach. I shred 1-2 sweet potatoes (depending on size) and put them in a 10x13 pan, add a pound of crumbled sausage that I've already cooked, and blend the eggs and spinach (usually 10-12 eggs) with some salt and pepper, then pour over the sweet potato and sausage, bake the whole thing at about 350 for about 20-30 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked. I divide it into servings, trying to get at least 2.5-3 eggs/serving -- if I didn't also have meat in it, I'd probably try for bigger servings. I prefer it reheated in a toaster oven, but it can be microwaved or even eaten cold if you need to. You can easily change this up -- taco meat instead of sausage, different vegetables, whatever you like.

I do try to add more vegetables to this when I eat. Soup can be nice in the winter, or when it's warmer, I make up a chunky salad with some combination of raw zucchini and/or yellow squash, jicama, snap peas, cucumber (peeled, because sometimes the peel is bitter) -- really, any vegetables you like raw will work. I don't particularly care for raw broccoli or cauliflower, but if you do, those would work great. I usually add a bit of fruit if I have some that will hold up well -- an apple, especially if you can find a variety that doesn't brown quickly like Honey Crisps, or some blueberries, but make it mostly vegetables. Squeeze a lemon or lime over the whole thing. I usually make several days' worth at once. It'll last 2-3 days pretty easily, unless you put something in it that doesn't keep as well (strawberries, for instance. Don't put strawberries, unless you add them right as you serve it -- they get mushy really fast). 

For fat, some mayo or guac on the casserole, or add chunks of avocado or coconut flakes in the salad, I add these as I eat it or maybe as I pack it up the night before, but not too far in advance.

You do have your hands full WholeMama!  I remember the kid on the hip days and would go back in a heartbeat.

I make a huge batch of the breakfast sausage patties and freeze them.  I take 2 or 3 of them out at a time... 1 minute in the microwave on a paper plate and they're ready to eat.  I usually have cut up celery in the fridge and I'll add almond butter.  Grab an apple or berries and it's a filling meal.  Boiled and peeled eggs are also helpful to have on hand.  

So excited for you about the pants!  Bet you did a happy dance!!!

Thanks so much for the suggestions everyone, but where do you get your sausage?? I can't find any that is compliant. I don't even know for sure that the butcher doesn't cure it with something? I've just been eating the Aidell's chicken and apple sausage (which would be good for meal1)

Start of DAY 28!

Can't believe I've made it this far! I'm SO proud of myself. As I said before, I just didn't take my last whole30 seriously. So much sugar and larabars, and I've been a worlds better this time. I can really tell something is working because my clothes are all getting big! I'm wearing a skirt at work today that I've literally had for years, and never worn because it was just too tight.

I'm doing so much better mentally with the food and knowing that I can't have anything  noncompliant. I honestly don't really crave any foods right now that I can't have. The only thing I DO MISS, is creamer/sugar in my coffee. I've been drinking the coffee black, and yes, I can drink it, and even sometimes don't mind it, but it's just not the same. I really think this might be one of the ONLY things I plan on reintroing when my whole100 is up. I want to stay paleo for sure, but I only put two tbs of sugar in my coffee, and usually don't drink a cup everyday. So.. we'll see.

Hi there !   so happy for you and your pants  :D  I am like you and like to have a big batch of something for the week.  I have found some good sweet potato egg casseroles that I really do like, and my child too !  also make egg frittatas in muffin tins... www.nomnompaleo.com has some really good recipes, and www.theclothesmakethegirl.com  -  I invested in well fed 1 and 2 - awesome books.   I also boil atleast 1 doz eggs for a quick bite too.

(the breakfast casseroles freeze well too !! )

good luck with your appointment -  if you don't want to know your weight - tell the nurse ahead of time.  Other people out here do that all the time. 

Archived