Whole100, Far more serious..

WholeMama623

Day 32.

I very nearly quit my whole100 yesterday. I had a very emotional day and almost called it quits.

So I wake up yesterday morning and realize that if I had done a normal whole30, yesterday would have been the day it was over. When is started, I planned on taking my measurements every 31 days. I know this is probably not "okay" but I am very driven by numbers and seeing numbers moving. I've been struggling with boredom with food, and just not having an appetite. I figured that seeing the good would make me want to keep going, right? RIGHT?

I was nervous before I even stepped on the scale. That probably should have been my clue that I was NOT ready for the scale ( I know, I know... lesson learned). I hop on holding my breath, watching the little lines run back and forth. Finally a number comes up... much to my horror, it's EXACTLY the same as the number as it was 30 days ago. I felt my self crumbling internally. This couldn't be? I've changed my ENTIRE diet. I've had almost NO fruit, larabars, dates... how did this happen!? OH WAIT, it's actually .6 HIGHER than the last time I was on a scale. I thought "this must be wrong. This has to be my last weigh in 30 days ago (my scale does have the ability to save previous weights) so I jumped on again and made sure I did it correctly. Nope. there it is again, 167.6

I just don't understand. My pants are bigger.. like noticeably.. I'm wearing a size smaller when I'm buying new clothes. I bought a skirt and a dress this weekend at Old Navy and BOTH were mediums! I can't even remember the last time I bought a medium. Seriously. I've been sleeping better, I'm less anxious, and just feeling really positive about the way I've been eating, and then THIS? I won't even lie, I CRIED.. UGLY CRIED for a good 15 minutes. While I am doing this to be healthier, a BIG portion of this for ME WAS for healthy weight loss. With my thyroid issues, weight loss is incredibly hard. I lost 11 lbs earlier this year intermittent fasting and it seemed to work, but it wasn't healthy for me. I feel like I can't win, no matter what I do.

After talking with a few really supportive people, I come to the realization that my scale must go in the garbage. NOTHING should have this kind of influence on my feelings. I was feeling absolutely GREAT until I saw that number on the scale, and then I hated myself, and wondered how I could fail so bad after doing everything right, but I DIDN'T fail! My clothes are bigger! I simply do not understand how your clothes can be falling off and you've lost no weight, but I've got to stop worrying about it. It will not help ANYTHING.

So I tossed my scale in the dumpster outside of our apartment! It's gone. No more hating myself because a silly number isn't what I want it to be because I'm so much more than that!

So onward and upward I go...

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Congrats on the smaller sizes! And good for you for throwing out the scale -- I'm pretty sure those things are horrible, evil things put here on earth for the sole purpose of torturing us, and nobody needs that.

but I only put two tbs of sugar in my coffee, and usually don't drink a cup everyday. So.. we'll see.

I used to need either half & half or sugar (or preferably both, but at least one or the other) in my coffee. I've since learned to like it with coconut milk, or sometimes if I want it thicker, coconut milk & a little coconut oil, blended, but I still don't particularly care for it black. I was at work one day, and really felt I needed a pick-me-up because I was going to be working until midnight or later, and I didn't have any coconut milk with me, so I decided since I wasn't technically doing a W30, I'd have some sugar in it. I added the amount I used to add, and discovered that it was so sickly sweet I couldn't stand it. You may feel the same way when it comes down to it. 

Congrats on the smaller sizes! And good for you for throwing out the scale -- I'm pretty sure those things are horrible, evil things put here on earth for the sole purpose of torturing us, and nobody needs that.

I used to need either half & half or sugar (or preferably both, but at least one or the other) in my coffee. I've since learned to like it with coconut milk, or sometimes if I want it thicker, coconut milk & a little coconut oil, blended, but I still don't particularly care for it black. I was at work one day, and really felt I needed a pick-me-up because I was going to be working until midnight or later, and I didn't have any coconut milk with me, so I decided since I wasn't technically doing a W30, I'd have some sugar in it. I added the amount I used to add, and discovered that it was so sickly sweet I couldn't stand it. You may feel the same way when it comes down to it. 

I can only hope that is the case! That I won't need sugar...

Congrats to you for persevering and ditching the scale! You made it through a tough day and you should be proud. Also, you're 1/3 through with your Whole100! WOOHOO!

I should be proud, and I did feel proud for a day or so! Today, I'm back to feeling crappy about it, but I did not quit, so there's that!

So, I've been doing a little research and I think I've figured out what's going on here with ZERO weight loss.

I logged into myfitnesspal today and logged what I'd eaten so far today. After Meal1 and Meal2, I only had 242 calories left!(for nearly 1500 calories)  Now I KNOW you aren't supposed to count calories on Whole30, but to feel better about all this, I need new goals, and a plan. With my stupid thyroid, I  have to eat less than most to lose weight. I'm most likely WAY overeating and this why I've basically maintained my weight the last 30 days. I also know the whole30 isn't ALL ABOUT weight loss, but let's face it. I'm at least 20 lbs overweight, and YES I was hoping I'd drop some lbs. So many of the Success Stories people are losing 10-15lbs, but it's frustrating to put in a lot of hard work, and lose nothing.

The calories in the Paleo Mayo ALONE are staggering and I've been eating it like candy... ON EVERYTHING!

I've never understood the "thumb" rule of fats.. can someone tell me what this translates to in tsp or TBSP? Please!? This will really help me out.

So here are my goals for the next 30 days:

- Less Fat, be sure to follow the template

- Drink at LEAST 8 cups of water EVERY day, including the weekends (where I seriously lack)

- Stop mindlessly eating watermelon (this just started)

- MORE veggies. I'm not getting enough.

- Exercise. Daily. Would love to run 2-3x a week to get back into the swing of things.

- A little less meat (& more veggies) with my meals. I tend to eat a lot of it.

I'm so sorry you went through all that.  I'm glad you 1) ditched the scale, 2) didn't give up ( I need you here!), and 3) are figuring out what you need to do to power on!  So proud of you!!!!  Good point about the mayo... measuring thumbs is really a crap shoot each time.  

Day 33:

Feeling more positive today, and getting back into the swing of things. I've got my goals for this month, and I'm going to try to stick to them.

Just to clear up from my last post. I don't plan on logging calories every day, but I don't mind doing it every once in a while to check in where I'm at. I DO want to lose weight. Yesterday was somewhere around 1700 calories, and that's just too much for me when I'm trying to lose weight. Getting back into running will help me burn some calories, but of course, it's been raining every day for several days. :(

My daughter has been waking up really late (meaning I am too) and I didn't get to take my synthroid this morning until 7:35! We leave the house at 8:20 which meant I have to cook meal1 and bring it with me. I was so behind on time. Gah.

Meal1: 3ggs cooked in a LITTLE bit of olive oil (just enough so they won't burn to the pan)

heaping pile of broccoli slaw with 2tbsp of ghee

black coffee

Meal2: one compliant Aidell's chicken and apple sausage

1 tbsp of paleo mayo for dipping

green beans

sweet potato

Meal3: No idea yet!

Hi WholeMama,

There is a picture of a "thumb" of fat on the Whole30 meal template page, but I agree that it is the hardest unit to guesstimate.

Have you tried going to the Troubleshooting forum and posting a few days' worth of your meals? Moderators will definitely weigh in on what they see working or not. It sounds to me like you are having success since you are down a size, and your body is burning fat instead of quick sugars. 

Let them know that you have thyroid issues and are seeing changes in body composition but not weight. Counting calories is so antithetical to the Whole30 philosophy that it makes me nervous that you are starting to use calories as an evaluation tool. The mods should be able to answer what a "thumb" of fat is, too!

I have to say I can relate a bit because I have gained a little weight back since Day 30, but it may just be from being sick.

Good luck, hang in there!

Julie, you are right about the calorie counting, and as I said, I wasn't doing it to "calorie count" per say, I was just doing it to get an idea of HOW many calories I was eating. I logged AFTER I ate so that it wouldn't influence what I ate.

This is how I feel. I did a whole30 for 31 days. I followed the rules, and followed the template ASIDE from eating too much fat because I don't understand what a THUMB is, and at times probably not enough veggies. I lost no weight. As an overweight person with a thyroid problem, I need to/want to lose weight and be healthy. The only thing I think can be a problem for me on the whole30(100) is that "eat until your are satiated" doesn't work for everyone. I seem to be able to eat a LOT before my brain tells me that I'm full, and since weight loss is calories in versus calories out, I just have to realize that I'm probably overeating for weight loss.

I do think that getting out and running 2-3x a week will help! So I'm trying to get on that ASAP.

Thank you to those who are still following me. I know it's probably frustrating at times, but wanting to lose weight in a healthy way is why I wanted to do this. I also wanted to get away from bad foods that were doing me no favors, but mentally it's hard to see anything as an accomplishment when I weight exactly the same as I did when I was eating crap. Yes, my clothes are loose, but I'm still wearing all the same pants. I've bought two items that were smaller, and that does feel good. I've clearly still got "issues" with my weight. I really need to get it under control!!!

Anyway, today is Day 34.

I'm not frustrated, wholemama. I want you to be healthy and successful! I will be interested to keep following along and see if your tweaks change your outcome. I would be looking for answers, too, if I hadn't lost any weight. And I am similarly watching to see what happens next with my own weight since I gained a wee bit back and am about to start Reintroduction.

When I go into my second round of Whole30, which I plan to start in July, hopefully I won't have bronchitis and a sinus infection (!), and will be able to incorporate exercise, too. I definitely think that is a missing component which could make my results stronger.

Also, if you're anything like me in your past struggles to lose weight, managing your nutrition so that you are eating healthy and need to buy items that are a size smaller is a huge accomplishment! It's what I would dream of on other diets, and feel bad that I was never going to achieve because I lacked "willpower." So I hope you are taking a moment to celebrate the change in body composition and fat burning because it certainly is an accomplishment.  :D

Thanks Julie! really! So encouraging!!!

I took your advice and posted in the Troubleshooting and they think my eating is FINE! They told me to keep on keepin' on and don't stress it, so that's what I'm going to do!

In other news, my lunch was AMAZING! SO yummy and satisfying!

I had 3 small pieces of fish (pan fried) with mayo for dipping, roasted parsnips and carrots with a tiny amount of ghee, and cabbage sautéed in ghee. It was wonderful! I swear I could eat fish every day!

Day 35.

Yesterday was my 3 year sobriety date and I completely forgot to post it here. So , Yay!

Not much going on today. Tried my black coffee this morning with unsweetened cashew milk. It gives my coffee a much lighter appearance, but honestly, doesn't taste any different.

Tomorrow my husband and I are going to a concert in Baltimore. I have no idea how long we will be there, but this might be an emergency Larabar situation. I will probably also take some nuts,  but I can't think of much else I can take to a crowded concert venue that isn't perishable. I'm excited, but anxious because I know I'm going to get hungry!!

Oh, and I want so BADLY to get back into running. This was the week I was going to do it, and it's literally been 50 and raining all week after it was 90 most of the week last week. Figures. I don't mind rain if It's hot, but running in 50 degree rain is just asking for sickness. Guess i'll wait!

Yesterday was my 3 year sobriety date and I completely forgot to post it here. So , Yay!

Tomorrow my husband and I are going to a concert in Baltimore. I have no idea how long we will be there, but this might be an emergency Larabar situation. I will probably also take some nuts,  but I can't think of much else I can take to a crowded concert venue that isn't perishable. I'm excited, but anxious because I know I'm going to get hungry!!

Congratulations on your anniversary. Yay is right!   I will be alcohol-free for 15 years on June 5th-- that's tomorrow!  Woot-woot for us.

Have fun at the concert!  Can you take some baby carrots?  They don't have to be super cold to taste good.  

I had 3 small pieces of fish (pan fried) with mayo for dipping, roasted parsnips and carrots with a tiny amount of ghee, and cabbage sautéed in ghee. It was wonderful! I swear I could eat fish every day!

WholeMama, I want to incorporate more fish but have little experience cooking it.  How do you pan fry it?  Does it need a coating?  AND, what do parsnips taste like?  Maybe I'll try them... are they a starchy veggie? 

OMG parsnips are sooooo good. They taste like a cross between a potato and a carrot, but sweeter. If you roast them in the oven with olive oil, they kind of carmelize. Yum. Sometimes it's a good idea to parboil them first. Yes, they're a starchy carb. I think I need to make some too!

OMG parsnips are sooooo good. They taste like a cross between a potato and a carrot, but sweeter. If you roast them in the oven with olive oil, they kind of carmelize. Yum. Sometimes it's a good idea to parboil them first. Yes, they're a starchy carb. I think I need to make some too!

This is exactly how I describe them. They also have a tiny "burn" like a radish, but not nearly as strong.

We cut them up, toss lightly in olive oil and roast for about 30 minutes until they get soft I usually roast with carrots.

Archived