Whole100, Far more serious..

WholeMama623

WholeMama, I want to incorporate more fish but have little experience cooking it.  How do you pan fry it?  Does it need a coating?  AND, what do parsnips taste like?  Maybe I'll try them... are they a starchy veggie? 

We just pan fry with ghee. We put compliant seasoning on it and just lay it in melted ghee in the pan. It gets nice and crispy! mmmm

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations on your anniversary. Yay is right!   I will be alcohol-free for 15 years on June 5th-- that's tomorrow!  Woot-woot for us.

Have fun at the concert!  Can you take some baby carrots?  They don't have to be super cold to taste good.  

Wow Donna!!! 15 years!!! Congrats!

Day 36.

Not much going on. Just wanted to check in.

In addition to onion, and tomato, I think I have to avoid garlic as well.  There was garlic on my chicken that I had for lunch and nearly immediately after eating, my stomach was all bloated and hard to the touch. I feel lightly nauseous too. Yuck!!!!

Of course it's National Donut Day. UGH! Pictures everywhere of wonderful looking donuts. Agh!

I'll be leaving for the concert in a few hours! I'm so excited. It's been ages since I've been to one!

Hope everyone has a great weekend! I'll be back on Monday!

Of course it's National Donut Day. UGH! Pictures everywhere of wonderful looking donuts. Agh!

I'll be leaving for the concert in a few hours! I'm so excited. It's been ages since I've been to one!

Can't wait to hear how the concert was!  I hope you danced and sang and had a great time!

Re:  Donut Day.  Ditto on the UGH!  Donuts are were one of my serious cravings.  Glad to have 365 more days until THAT happens again.  ha ha.

OMG parsnips are sooooo good. They taste like a cross between a potato and a carrot, but sweeter. If you roast them in the oven with olive oil, they kind of carmelize. Yum. Sometimes it's a good idea to parboil them first. Yes, they're a starchy carb. I think I need to make some too!

I had parsnips with M1 today... par-cooked in the microwave (like a minute), then sliced and threw it in coconut oil with my zoodles and eggs.  SOOOOOOO good!  Great suggestions from you both!

Day 39!

Good Morning everyone! What a busy weekend! I am exhausted and feel like I did NOT sleep enough.

Friday we went to the concert in Baltimore. It was awesome! We were less than 10 ft away from the bands, and the venue was TINY so it was very up close and personal. I danced and sang my heart out. It was hot, and the venue RAN OUT OF WATER, so towards the end, I really started feeling bad. My head was pounding, and I was HUNGRY. I managed to stay compliant, so that's all that matters.

Yesterday I took some maternity pictures. I am a "hobby" photographer. I'm certainly not professional, but I love to do it, so a lot of my friends use me for their pics. I haven't done it in like a year and half (since I got pregnant) so I was a little rusty, but got some great shots! I'd love to buy a new camera, but they are SO expensive.

As far as my Whole100 goes, I'm feeling weary. I feel like 100 days at this point will be a "bonus" and I'm really not sure I'm going to make it that long. I hate to say it, but this summer is proving to be difficult!!!! We are going to the beach at the end of July and it's going to be HARD. I'll be like less than 15 days away from the end of the Whole100 and beach.. and good food. UGH! Not sure. My husband gets frustrating with my whole100 a lot. We were out this weekend all afternoon and of course we are starving! We were in walmart and I couldn't find anything to quickly munch on. I wanted cashews but there were no compliant cashews in the store. I had WAYYYY too much fruit this weekend, and I'm trying to back off. So I just said "let's go home" but he wanted fast food. It was kind of an argument, because he kind of implied that I "choose" to be difficult. I simply said "I am not choosing anything. This is what a whole30 (or 100) IS" He knew that going into this, but sometimes It seems like I only get his support when it's convenient for him. I never told him he couldn't get fast food, but he won't eat if I'm not. I swear it's so he wont' have to feel AS bad about eating junk. Now that I can't, he never seems to.

So as of today, that's how I'm feeling. I know it's stupid. I know SAD type food will NEVER work for me, but it's getting harder and harder over the course of the summer. I very much wanted to just stop yesterday and grab a bag of chips. *sigh*

I had parsnips with M1 today... par-cooked in the microwave (like a minute), then sliced and threw it in coconut oil with my zoodles and eggs.  SOOOOOOO good!  Great suggestions from you both!

Glad you liked!!! I LOVE my parsnips

Hang in there !!  I know you are discouraged - and hubby isn't helping that.. Chin up - you have done so well-  Myself I think I would write up a pros and cons list about continuing  (I'm a list person)   maybe - take a bit of a break - or not put so much pressure on yourself.. you can take a break and still do a whole 30- I actually did better when I was not doing an Official whole 30.  I was 100 % compliant but not 'officially'. 

good luck with your decision !!! :D

It sounds like a particularly stressful few episodes over the weekend. I think you'll figure it out. Either you'll feel better when you're back in your weekday routine, or you'll continue to feel stressed over the requirements and decide that it's not worth doing the Whole100, but just to keep eating healthy with a few more options (e.g. non-compliant cashews... not fast food).  ;)

Hang in there !!  I know you are discouraged - and hubby isn't helping that.. Chin up - you have done so well-  Myself I think I would write up a pros and cons list about continuing  (I'm a list person)   maybe - take a bit of a break - or not put so much pressure on yourself.. you can take a break and still do a whole 30- I actually did better when I was not doing an Official whole 30.  I was 100 % compliant but not 'officially'. 

good luck with your decision !!! :D

Thank you! I love lists too. So maybe i'll work on that today. I think the list is going to be pretty even... LOL

It sounds like a particularly stressful few episodes over the weekend. I think you'll figure it out. Either you'll feel better when you're back in your weekday routine, or you'll continue to feel stressed over the requirements and decide that it's not worth doing the Whole100, but just to keep eating healthy with a few more options (e.g. non-compliant cashews... not fast food).  ;)

Thanks Julie. I did feel better on Monday when I got back into my routine. Honestly the weekend is the only time I struggle. We have such a schedule on the weekend with our baby that we save the weekend to run our of our errands. This normally means that we are out ALL day and it's kind of a pain to run the whole way home to make lunch. I know I can normally hold off, but then Hubby is throwing  a fit because he wants to eat somewhere and then blames it on me when we can't, even though I've never told him he can't eat out. So, yeah. It's frustrating.

Day 40! (ten days until HALFWAY POINT)

So I was supposed to have an appointment today with my Endocrinologist, but they moved it to tomorrow, so I guess I've avoided the scale another day!

I'm feeling a little better than yesterday about my Whole100. I searched #Whole100 on instagram last night and saw some really great result pics, and it kind of gave me a kick in the pants to keep going. However, I really need to stop making excuses and GET EXERCISING! I wanted to run again but it's literally rained/stormed every night for almost a week. Today it looks good, but it's like 89 outside with high humidity! Oh well. I need to get out there!

Tina suggested to do a Pro/Con list for my Whole100. I like this idea.

PRO'S:

- Better sleep

- Pants are bigger/more loose

- I'm eating as healthy as I can

- no more bingeing on food

- more energy

- not bloated at all

- face is starting to clear up (first three weeks were terrible)

- less anxiety over things that used to upset me (stupid drivers, ect.)

CON'S :

- incredibly hard if you are out and about (not saying it can't be done, but it's HARD to be spontaneous)

- food is expensive when it's good for you.

- almost everything has to be cooked/prepared. This is hard when you have a baby/restricted time

- stress on my relationship

- eating out is really stressful. I have to obsess over every ingredient.

- social events are hard enough being gluten free..whole100 makes it 10x worse

- family/friends don't understand and think I'm being difficult

- Going places with no compliant food options make me stressed/upset. (like the zoo. NOTHING I could eat for HOURS)

Okay, so. As I suspected the CON list is much longer, but a lot of them are the SAME concept. Whole100 is HARD if you have an active family/lifestyle. Again, impossible? NO. But it's putting stress on my husband and I because he thinks 30 days is long enough. He also doesn't have autoimmune disorders and understand this is a really good idea for my body.

So my ULTIMATE goal here?  Eat strict paleo 5-6 days a week. I will continue to make my own ghee & mayo. However on Saturday, I'd like to relax a bit. This is the day we normally go out of town, or do things as a family and I'm always the one who is causing trouble. A coffee here and there, and maybe ONE meal that's not paleo focused. (taking reintro into reason).

I am going to give 100% effort into making it 100 days. I am just worried about the beach. I want to have fun and not worry about what I'm eating. So, I guess i'll cross that bridge when I get there.

WholeMama, I have a suggestion for the days when you are running around. Could you figure out a couple of compliant items from fast food or fast casual restaurants that you could eat if you brought a little prepped stuff with you? Like at Wendy's you could order a baked potato and a plain salad, but bring some compliant jerky or something and some salad dressing and sunflower seeds. Or at a fast casual place, order the ole boring grilled chicken salad with oil and vinegar. And, oh, one of my favorites at a place like Chili's is to order a hamburger with no bun topped with guacamole. Yum! You could think of this as a Whole100 mini-meal if you need to, but one you could eat on the go with your husband.

I think if you continue to not eat at all while you're on the go, or ask your husband to eat by himself (which wouldn't be a big deal to me but obviously is to him), it will continue to be stressful on weekends. And that's going to affect your ability to stick with it and your enjoyment of the experience.

That being said, you've already successfully completed a Whole30, so it you decide to loosen up on Saturdays, you are still a success! At something extremely challenging! And being the only one in your household doing it. And with a baby!

Oh lord. I just typed up a HUGE response and accidently hit the BACK button and it erased EVERYTHING.

So.. here's the short part. I DO eat out with him but literally the only place we can eat is five guys and I just don't want to keep eating burgers. It's boring and plain. and without my paleo mayo.. it's not even good.

I don't enjoy restaurant salads, and when you take out everything non compliant, you are just eating lettuce. I associate "eating out" as something fun, and when I'm just eating lettuce, I'd really rather not spend the money on it. This is where the problem lies.

As far as relaxing the rules, I don't want to yet. I committed to a whole100 and I want to do it. If I relax on one thing, I'm no longer doing a whole100 anymore, and I'm not quite ready to give up yet, even if I feel like it sometimes. I know that going back right now isn't going to fix anything, HOWEVER, the extreme rules are starting to really interfere with my life.

I want bacon. I want to be able to eat meat without worrying about added sugar. ect. It's not like I even want to go back and binge on gluten free cookies, I just want to not be so strict. AHHHH. lol!! :)

Hi there !   I wrote a response to you and lost it all as well !!  grrrr..

I love the black and red list !   

So I have another suggestion for you - cuz I'm like you if it ain't compliant - I aint eatin it !    so I have come up with a plan for myself.  when I know we are out and about (like a hair appt that takes FOREVER).   I make meatballs... portable - tasty when cool... and handy.   (fav is the BoraBora Balls in Well fed)  or boiled eggs, also cut up fresh veggies, with sunflower or cashew butter..   That is always in a lunch cooler.  then I can eat with no guilt and everyone else can eat what they want.  This actually fills me up and I get my compliant meal... (maybe hubby would be ok with that )  After YOU are not being difficult - it is just how your life is now. 

My plan works for me - and maybe it can help you too.

No worries, WholeMama! It was just a suggestion to take or leave. Please don't feel like you have to explain or justify your preferences or choices. (And I know that may have not been how you felt). I get you on the sad fast food iceberg lettuce salad. :)

I'm glad you're going to stick with it. You've been doing so great. It's funny; I'm following another poster named Kristyn who has a post called Post W30 Troubles in the Your Post-Whole 30 Log sub-forum, and she has been dealing with almost exactly the same things! She's doing a Whole15 right now. She went out to a concert with her boyfriend, and there wasn't anything compliant she could eat or drink at the concert other than water. and they couldn't figure out where to go for dinner beforehand because of her food restrictions, (At least they had water, right?) And she's also going back and forth on whether to stick with her Whole15 or end it early because of the difficulty of following the rules in many situations. It's kind of uncanny, because I only follow 3 people on the boards!  

Seriously? how? I always thought preservatives/nitrates/sulfates, ect. were banned. Sigh.

with that, do you have any Jerky suggestions?

Yeah, it's the sulphates that aren't ok.

Sorry, can't help with the jerky recommendations though.....

Day 41.

Nothing super going on or to say today. I went running last night! 1.1 miles around the neighborhood. Seems so dinky, when I used to run 18 miles, but it's a start. I'll get back. My goal is to run a marathon in November of 2016! I need a "redemption" race after my first marathon in October 2013. All my training runs went great, but I was also wedding planning, and missed some of the smaller runs (okay, more than I should have), and I also ran on a flat surface (C&O canal) for my entire training. We got married a month before my marathon, and I got pregnant right away. I found out 3 days before my race that I was pregnant. After TONS of back and forth, I decided I'd run anyway. Race day was muggy, humid, and warmer than I planned for. I tried to stay slow and keep my heart rate in check. I also drank a TON of water. It was hard but I finished...in six hours.

I really want to try again for 5:20 or 5:30  because I'm just not a fast runner. My 20 mile training run for my first marathon was 4:20 so I know I can do wayyy better than I did.

Another very busy weekend where I know food choices are going to be dismal for me. I have a feeling i'll be eating a lot of fruit and veggies.

• Moderators

Seriously? how? I always thought preservatives/nitrates/sulfates, ect. were banned. Sigh.

with that, do you have any Jerky suggestions?

I'm not really a jerky fan -- I think US Wellness Meats carries some, but I've never tried it. You might google Whole30 jerky and see what comes up -- I'm sure people have found compliant stuff before.

You might want to check out the Common Additives Cheat Sheet for a list of what additives are not allowed and some of the things that sound bad, but that actually are okay. 

Day 42.

Yesterday was my Endo appointment. The scale said I was down 1.3 lbs from when I weighed 10 days ago. It's better than gaining so i'll take it as a win. I talked to my Endo about my stubborn weight loss and she said when my thyroid is optimal, that hopefully it'll help kick start things. We upped my dosage since it needed it. I have another (different) appointment in two weeks, so I guess i'll have to brave the scale again. After that it won't be until late August, so awhile. yay!

Wearing a dress today that I haven't worn since um... 2007? Didn't fit for many years, because it's a medium!

Archived