Snacks?? Cravings?

MeGA"gardener"

• Administrators

Hi,

Please feel free to read through all of the resources that are available, many of which are linked in my signature below.

We discourage snacking, grazing, hand to mouth eating.  The idea is to get 3 full template (linked below) meals into yourself every 4-5 hours and not eat in between; your digestive system needs to run through its process and then rest rather than be on all day long.  

During the time that you are tweaking and figuring out what will get you through 4-5 hours, if you need something in between meals, make it protein and fat based and ideally also add some veggies; a mini-meal, if you will.

I appreciate your help and took your advice..

had a mini meal of chicken snap peas and carrots

with a few walnuts (partl leftovers). It helped get

me through cooking until dinnertime.

I'm finding this way of eating closely resembles our family's normal eating pattern though with major tweeks personally for me! I'm adjusting fine.

This is a general response to anyone who sees this post. Just felt compelled to share, as some thoughts came to mind when i read ladyshanny's response. Getting into new eating habits are the biggest challenge when it comes to meal timing, but listen to your belly for what is real hunger, rather than boredom, anxiety, or habit. As a previous binger, I have spent many hours practicing mindful eating habits and learning to differentiate physiological hunger vs other things. I also counseled many fitness clients on eating habits. Even the ones without 'eating issues' ate snacks for reasons other than actual hunger, or they would let themselves go hungry because of busy schedules then binge on a large meal of mostly carbs at the end of the day. These are 2 huge culprits in hormone imbalances leading to fat gain, fatigue, and lots of health problems! I also have found i conditioned my body as a previous athlete to eat very often-sometimes 7 small meals daily. So I am tweaking my meals now to a larger size so I dont get so hungry in between. Mindful, slow eating, proper portions, and a positive outlook go a long way!!! And best of all, throughout the process of Whole30 or any new eating regimen, you learn so incredibly much about how your body works, but also you mind:) 

Hi to Ladyshea. Thanks for sharing. You are so right. I'm at the age post-menopausal where my metabolism has slowed to a crawl! I'm on day 2/3 (!foggy) and just a bit overwhelmed.

Trying to stay between the lines and making good choices hoping for the best. I'm not craving anything just sleepy. Searched around this forum and picked up some great ideas. I thought that snacking might help sticking to 4 hr intervals so Ladyshanny suggested mini meals :) I'm also keeping track on my Fitbit which I started in January .. No weight loss just maintaining and started a few days ago so won't weigh again until June.

I'm feeling exercise is helping. I miss yoga and am too apprehensive to join a class. I'm positive I can get there someday soon.

The information you shared was helpful!

• Administrators

Hi to Ladyshea. Thanks for sharing. You are so right. I'm at the age post-menopausal where my metabolism has slowed to a crawl! I'm on day 2/3 (!foggy) and just a bit overwhelmed.

Trying to stay between the lines and making good choices hoping for the best. I'm not craving anything just sleepy. Searched around this forum and picked up some great ideas. I thought that snacking might help sticking to 4 hr intervals so Ladyshanny suggested mini meals :) I'm also keeping track on my Fitbit which I started in January .. No weight loss just maintaining and started a few days ago so won't weigh again until June.

I'm feeling exercise is helping. I miss yoga and am too apprehensive to join a class. I'm positive I can get there someday soon.

The information you shared was helpful!

You may have misunderstood what I was saying.  Go ahead and have the mini meals if you need them during the time that you are tweaking your meals to determine what you need to keep you going 4-5 hours.  The ultimate recommendation is really to go 4-5 hours in between eating.  :)

Yes, I am sparingly using one mini meal to get me through this transition. I will explain: My typical day starts at 4:30 am : now drinking black coffee, making family breakfast, mine after 6 am then nothing but waters until 12:30 pm lunch then supper around 5-6-7 pm depending on our day. So that mini meal comes in handy late afternoon! This is my 2nd day after all! I'm doing my best so far. I'm not overly hungry or irritable just less energy and warm feeling.

Ok thanks I will. I am commited to this process.

Day 3:

So I did eat earlier this morning, making sure it was within the hour: black coffee, 2 hard-boiled eggs, Yukon potato, and that "spinach muffin" recipe with the addition of raisins, olives and nutmeg mm

I'd say it was a good start! Thanks for caring.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! This is my first Whole 30 and I'm on day 4. My schedule is a little wonky and my days are super long so I've found I'm definitely needing more than 3 meals. I'm also very active and do HIIT training about 3 times a week and weight training 2 times a week. I wake up around 5 am everyday, whether I go to the gym or not. If I did the 3 meals, I would be eating breakfast by 6 am, lunch by 11 am, and dinner about 4 pm! I don't go to bed until around 11 pm so there is no way I would make it from 4 pm to 11 pm and sleep through the night without being hungry.

What I've been doing, and I would love some input, is eating breakfast by 6 am. If I go to the gym, I have a PreWO before going to gym for an hour around 8 am,  then have my PostWO, followed by lunch at around 2. I find myself needing a little something (usually a hard boiled egg and some veggies) around 5 and then I have dinner around 9 am. 

If I don't go to the gym, I still have breakfast around 6 am, have a mini-meal of a lean protein, some fat, maybe some veggies around 10 am because I am hungry at that point, lunch around 2, another mini-meal around 5 and dinner around 9. I am also drinking lots of water throughout the day to make sure I am actually hungry when I decide to eat the mini meals. 

Is this ok?? 

Thanks for any words of wisdom!! 

Hi

I was advised to keep the timeline tight eat one hour upon rising a bite or two if you are working out soon then finish M1 wait 4/5 hrs next M2 or

Post workout eat within 15 min or so protein fat veg Leave fruit with M3 if at all

You may need as I did a half portion mini meal in the afternoon to get you through until supper

If you search the forum there are many people who can give you the correct answers that you may choose to work for you moderators like Ladyshanny Bill Amy or

Members who work out Ultarunnergirl

There are links in W9 life also

• Moderators

You need to incorporate the Pre and/or Post Workout "meals" on days you train. See the Meal Template (linked in my signature below).

On days you don't train, you should eat large enough portions to tide you over at least 4 hours. Since you are active, even on days you don't train, shoot for the higher end of the template portions - 2 palms portion of protein (or 4+ eggs), 2-3 cups veggies, 2+ thumb size portions of fat.

You really want to allow a minimum of 4 hours between eating. It may take a few days before you get in the groove.

Ok, that makes sense! 

I thought I was eating a big portion for breakfast but based on what you noted, I am probably not eating enough to tide me over. I'll make some adjustments and see how that goes. I've been used to eating every few hours so it also may just take a few days of holding off on the mini-meals so my body can acclimate to the longer periods of time between meals.

Thank you so much for the insight and the encouragement. I'm already loving this journey and the support on here is super helpful!

Another thing to add...is it possible to go to bed earlier? If you are getting up at 5am every day than a more ideal bedtime is around 9pm. You will still want to stretch your meals out but getting more sleep will also help with daytime hunger and will help you perform better in your workouts. This is something I struggle with myself but I know when I make being in bed for 8-9 hours a priority I feel better overall.

Physibeth, it is definitely something I could work on! I know I need more sleep so I can use the Whole30 as a motivator. I know I'm probably making excuses but it seems difficult to do when I get home from work around 7, take your dog for a long walk (since they've been napping all day just waiting for you to get home :P), eat/make dinner and finally take a shower. It seems like the night gets away from me! 

All excuses aside, I am going to earnestly work on getting to bet earlier! Thank you!!

Archived