whole30 + bodybuilding

deadlynx

hey peeps!

First of all: I`m new to this forum. Tried whole30 back in 2011 but only managed til day 9. Now I`m in trainingsmode and do it again. this time i feel much better, BUT: I need a daily intake of 150g proteins at least, which is not possible in 3(4) meals, as it won`t be a palm sized portion and the body won`t absorb more than 25-30g of it at once.
any recommentions, help or personal experience with that? any bodybuilders in this forum?
I fear to lose all the muscles and strength I gained the past months. (that`s why I broke up last time on day 9: all my strength was gone)

thanks for advice

• Moderators

You definitely need to include pre and post workout food per the template. Have protein and fat before working out and lean protein plus some starchy veg afterward. That should help get your protein up where you want it. But we prefer not to count and measure around here. Tuning into how your body feels and performs is a much better gauge.

Check out the template, stick to the bigger portions (2 palms of protein per meal), include pre and post workout food, and you should do great!

• Moderators

I eat two palm-size portions of protein at many if not most meals. I may occasionally eat three palm-size portions.  <_< I like a can of tuna as my post-workout meal. Because I workout multiple times per day, I sometimes eat two post-workout meals. I find it simple and easy to train hard and get all my nutrition from real, whole foods. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am an ex-pro figure competitor for WNBF. I stopped competing in Nov 2012 and since then have dealt with hypothryroidism, eating disorders, other hormonal issues, back and shoulder injury, and the loss of my sister. All which had set me back from world champ athlete to competitive crossfitter, to avid yogi, to months of just gentle yoga and light walks. In this time I had tried multiple diet approaches which just led to more eating issues and fat gain. I was very worried about muscle loss as well. However, after getting back into a fitness routine 2 months ago and now on week 3.5 of Whole30, I have started drastically leaning down. I know without getting on a scale that my muscle mass has not diminished even after the back injury which was a full month and a half of no weight training except PT. In fact, I think all my yoga has increased my shoulder size and my abs are much different than they were 2 years ago (better now). The body wont start breaking down muscle tissue unless you ignore it for 2 weeks or so. Even light band exercises can help you retain mass. I was always under the mindset that I HAD to have atleast 140 or more grams of protein to keep mass on. This is false however. I found from personal experience, years of nutrition coach and personal training clients, and alot of research and reading, most people in this industry over do the protein. I eat what feels good to me now which probably equates more to 100-110gms per day. At showtime I would have been eating 175! I dont worry about how many grams anymore. If Im full, I stop and dont force a protein shake just to meet my goals. Plus muscle responds better to quality carbs (the are muscle sparing) as opposed to protein alone. So eating yams, plantians, fruit, and other starchy veggies around your workouts is key to keeping your muscle. Your body will create the protein it needs from amino acids. The human body is incredible. The absolutely best thing that has come out of this Whole30 experience for me so far has been learning to trust the process and trust my body. Rather than following strict macronutrients and food timing, I'm listening to my body, doing what feels right. Sorry, this turned into more than I originally planned to write:) Hope you find something helpful!

Archived