My First Whole30

shannaleanne

So today is day 3 and tracking how things are going seems like a good idea. Also, today's meal plans got a little interesting... I don't have a lot of time in the mornings, so I'd done my prep work last night to make things a little easier. Unfortunately, my lunch mysteriously vanished from the fridge when the boyfriend came home from work. I'm now adding post-its to my grocery list so my food doesn't suffer the same fate tomorrow! I ended up moving my salad for breakfast to lunch to compensate, so breakfast feels a little sparse. I packed an apple and almond butter in case I need a snack.

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with tomatoes, basil, and hot peppers (avocado oil)

some shredded coconut

grapes

chai tea

Lunch: Tuna with salsa

Tomato and cucumber salad (olive oil and vinegar dressing)

leftover steamed kale

avocado

Dinner: I'm planning on making collard greens, a salad, sweet potato, and either chicken or compliant pork sausage

So day 3 seemed to go pretty well! I ended up eating about a tablespoon of almond butter when I get home just to tide me over until dinner. I also labelled all of my food, so today's lunch was still intact when I woke up. I had a bit of a headache yesterday, but I'm thinking that could be related to my water intake. I've been so focused on my food that I don't think I've been getting enough water, so I've got a giant bottle started and another to finish after lunch. Hopefully that does the trick. Anyway, here's the food plan for today:

Breakfast: egg muffins (leftover veggies and eggs baked last night)

Salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, and radish sprouts (vinegar and olive oil)

grapes

1 tbsp almond cashew butter

green tea

Lunch: Leftovers from dinner yesterday (Sweet potato, pork sausage, collard greens)

Dinner: I have a chicken roasting in the crockpot with smoked paprika, sweet potatoes, and onions

I need to pick up (lots) more veggies so maybe broccoli or asparagus and a salad 

Doing pretty well so far today! The headache seems to have disappeared with the added water, so that's nice. I haven't had a huge amount of ridiculous cravings so far, but I did end up in a weird rabbit hole of lemon meringue pie thoughts as I was going to bed last night. I blame the mayo. Something about beating eggs and adding lemon juice but not ending up with a pie... It's just wrong...

But before I once again get sucked into that thought train, food I can actually eat!

Breakfast: The last 2 egg muffins with salsa

zucchini sauted in avocado oil with radish sprouts

grapes

green tea

Lunch: mixed greens with cucumbers, tomatoes, almonds, lemon juice, and olive oil

leftover chicken with salsa

Dinner: Bison chili with mushrooms (and pretty much all the veggies I got yesterday)

more salad with a mayo-based dressing 

So I know they say this happens pretty frequently, but for some reason I didn't believe it. Woke up this morning feeling ridiculously guilty because in my dreams I ate a huge plate of donuts. Notwithstanding the fact that I don't actually like donuts. How does that even happen?

I'm also struggling today to eat my food today. I had an avocado, some sauted zucchini, and a few grapes for breakfast. I had 3 scrambled eggs as well, ate about half, and then realized that an hour and a half later I was still staring at the same plate of (now cold) eggs. I'm hoping lunch goes a little better (leftover bison chili, a banana, and some almonds) but truthfully I'm just not that hungry. I've got some soup started in the crock pot for dinner, so at least I won't need to look at any more food until I'm ready to eat! I'm hoping this resolves itself in the next couple of days, but in the meantime I'm doing the best I can to stick with 3 template(ish) meals a day.

• Administrators

I'm also struggling today to eat my food today. I had an avocado, some sauted zucchini, and a few grapes for breakfast. I had 3 scrambled eggs as well, ate about half, and then realized that an hour and a half later I was still staring at the same plate of (now cold) eggs. I'm hoping lunch goes a little better (leftover bison chili, a banana, and some almonds) but truthfully I'm just not that hungry. I've got some soup started in the crock pot for dinner, so at least I won't need to look at any more food until I'm ready to eat! I'm hoping this resolves itself in the next couple of days, but in the meantime I'm doing the best I can to stick with 3 template(ish) meals a day.

Good stuff, just keep going, this isn't uncommon.  Your body is rebalancing and struggling to find its new "normal" and that means that some of its signals are wonky.  Try to buckle down and eat your meals but if you truly can't get through them, pack them up and take them with you to eat again as soon as you can.  You still need to get the full day's amount of food into yourself to help your body work through this transition.  Plus lack of appetite coupled with not eating can cause further reduced appetite and even nausea.  The best way to cure a lack of appetite is to eat palatable foods.  :)

Thanks ladyshanny, took me ages to finish everything in Friday but finally did it!

Saturday and Sunday were a little bit better and I survived going out for beers (lemon water for me) without feeling like I was missing anything. I also picked up a whole beef tenderloin on sale, so there will be steaks as soon as I manage to break it down. Not going to lie, I make a pretty mean steak so if there are any lingering "not hungry" thoughts that should do it :)

Food for today:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with salsa

avocado

sauted zucchini (only 2 more to go... so many in the CSA box!)

grapes

green tea

Lunch: Leftover jalapeno garlic burger

spinach salad with italian vinaigrette

pear

Dinner: kale slaw

spicy mashed sweet potato

chicken wings with ranch dip (must finish mayo!) 

So today is day 10! A third of the way through already, even though it doesn't feel like it should have gone that quickly. I'm not sure that I've quite reached the "Hardest Days" part of the timeline, but I'm definitely (uncomfortably) sitting in the "WTF my pants are tighter?!" portion. Thankfully I have a surplus of yoga pants from teaching all the time, but if this could resolve itself soon that would be great!

As for food....

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with salsa

orange

almonds

(boo! forgot my veggies at home when I left the house!)

Lunch: Leftover wings, sweet potatoes, and kale slaw

DInner: Clean out the fridge! All of the veggies!

roasted chicken and potatoes

• Administrators

Careful on the chicken wings, they are typically more fat and skin than actual meaty protein.  You might want to supplement with another protein source when you have wings for dinner.

Ya, I definitely wouldn't include it as a regular dinner feature. It ended up being more of a consolation prize for my boyfriend who hasn't been allowed to bring any food into the house that I can't eat (read: chips and anything with cheese). Next time I'm definitely doing something a bit meatier, since I ended up picking out the meat and leaving a lot of skin anyway.

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one... I was starting to feel a little guilty. The day I made burgers you'd think I'd crushed his life dreams when I said there were no buns. 

As for today, finally starting to feel a little less bloated. I'm still all about the stretchy pants, but inching in the right direction. Food-wise I still feel pretty good, haven't had any really ridiculous cravings. We do have cake at work today, so I'm sure I'll be a little grumpy later on. I came prepared with an emergency orange so if I really feel like I'm going to cave I have a back-up 'something sweet'.

Food for today:

Breakfast: Turkey blueberry patties

cucumbers

snap peas

avocado

chai tea

Lunch: Leftover chicken

acorn squash

green pepper

more avocado 

Dinner: Not 100% sure yet, but I'm thinking about making some soup or chili since the temperature's dropped again

Yesterday ended up being ridiculously crazy busy! Thankfully I had lots of leftovers in the fridge, so still doing well food-wise. I'm also starting to feel like I have more energy, which is a nice change. I'm so used to feeling tired all the time (currently taking iron supplements, B12 shots, and also have thyroid issues) that I honestly forgot what it's like to actually have energy. Yesterday I even squeezed in a short run after working a full day, cleaning, cooking, physio, and teaching yoga. I can't even remember the last time that happened. Yay!

Food for today is a little lazy after yesterday, but all good!

Breakfast: Chicken, zucchini, peppers, and broccoli sauteed in coconut oil with coconut aminos (first time i tried these, and definitely worth it!)

blueberries

Earl Grey tea

Lunch: Pretty much the same as breakfast but with grapefruit

Dinner: May go out for dinner if the boyfriend's home, if not I have some duck thawing in the fridge (pan seared, balsamic cherry reduction) with potatoes and a salad

Made it through another weekend (and a long weekend at that) and still doing well! Food was pretty good this weekend, a little bit less structured than I do during the week but tried to stick to template even if I was snacking. Yesterday I was back to 3 meals, no snacks and did some prep-work for today. I'm feeling good in terms of energy, but still have a B12 shot later today. I'm due for blood work again next week, and I'm pretty curious to see how everything is doing.

Food:

Breakfast: Turkey blueberry patties (I feel like I could live off of these things... so nice to not have eggs every morning!)

cucumbers and red peppers

avocado

Lunch: Leftover lamb stew

salad (balsamic and olive oil)

Dinner: pork sausage

collard greens

acorn squash

cucumber salad

Almost done day 18 and still feeling pretty good! Today was a little harder (monthly birthday potluck at work, which means birthday sugary treats with very little actual food). I actually held my breath every time I walked past the table so I couldn't smell the chocolate... because apparently that's all anyone brings to these things... I'm happy I remembered to bring in a little bit more food than usual! No chance I was getting hungry with a table of brownies just around the corner!

Food today:

Lunch and breakfast were both pretty much what I had for dinner last night... no time to make anything else with a 7am physio appointment

Dinner: 

Pulled pork tacos (minus the taco and the cheese for me...) with quick pickled red onions and arugula

avocado salad (arugula, pineapple, avocado, sunflower seeds, lemon juice, olive oil)

potato wedges

GAH! Today was supposed to be easier than yesterday :( Last night I ended up having to go out for dinner because we have family visiting. The menu was crazy difficult to manage, and even though I triple checked with the waitress, I'm wondering if something off-plan sneaked in. I don't really have any proof of anything, so I'm not starting back at day one, but not feeling quite 100% this morning. Upside is I had so much protein available for breakfast and lunch since I did the pork in the crock pot yesterday and no one actually ate it. I also added a little bit of extra fat for both breakfast and lunch, so crossing fingers everything is back to normal tomorrow.

Breakfast: Leftover pork

snap peas

cherries

coconut

avocado

Lunch: More pork

salad with mixed veggies 

avocado

(probably more cherries... they were on sale and my favourite fruit!)

Dinner: Pork for the third time (seriously, I made so much...)

The avocado salad I started making yesterday

potato wedges

Day 24! I can't believe how fast this has gone! When I started I thought this would be more of a struggle, but it's been a lot easier than I could have hoped for. It makes me wonder why it took so long to start in the first place... old habits I guess.

I just got back from a 3 day yoga retreat last night and feeling a little tired this morning (not to mention missing the view of the lake). The place we stayed was amazingly accommodating and several times cooked me my own meal when there was nothing on the menu I could eat. I brought a lot of my own food, but ended up not needing most of it which was a nice surprise.

I decided to stop by a new-ish health food store in town when I got home and the weekend got even better. BACON! I haven't been able to find any so far that didn't involve either crazy shipping charges or a minimum order. So clearly I picked up multiple packs :) Also got some nice free range chickens and kombucha (which I've also had a hard time finding in my area). I'm pretty sure I did a happy dance right out of the door.

Food for today:

Breakfast: hard boiled eggs with salsa

snap peas

coconut

Lunch: Tuna with salsa

salad

avocado

Dinner: Pork sausage

butternut squash (hopefully the velvety recipe from clothes make the girl if I have enough time)

mixed veggies with chili and lime

Way to go on your journey. I am on Day 22 today and for some reason I am feeling pretty sick. I think it might be an actual bug, but I came on the forum to look for minimal work dinners so I can try to sleep it off. 

I saw your blueberry sausage patties and I MUST get that recipe. I have been making ginger pear turkey sausage and they are AMAZING!!! If you like ginger or pear, I HIGHLY recommend them. They are amazing so I don't have to eat eggs every day, and so easy to grab. I will definitely be making multiple batches of sausage moving forward after Whole30 because breakfast is usually what gets me in "the real world". 

Looking forward to seeing how your last few days go!

Thanks for the support tenderdear! Hope the bug sorts itself out and you're feeling better soon! I'm not a huge fan of eggs, so anything that involves egg-free breakfast is a definite win! The turkey patties were from this site http://summerinnanen.com/turkey-blueberry-breakfast-muffins, someone on here posted the link right around when I started and it definitely made breakfasts a lot easier to handle. Do you have a recipe for the ginger pear sausage? I wouldn't mind getting a hold of that :)

Today's been pretty good so far in terms of food, but it's definitely a little bit on the stressed side and there are several cakes in the office. Bad combo... I'm going to head outside at lunch, so hopefully everyone else finishes it by the time I get back! I had an early physio appointment this morning, so breakfast and lunch ended up being the same since that was easier. Still tasty, so I'm all good :)

Breakfast/Lunch: Pork sausage

Roasted eggplant with balsamic reduction

cucumber salad

almonds

Dinner: Grilled chicken and mixed veggies sauteed in a chili/lime/garlic oil I found at the aforementioned health food store

Shannaleanne - 

Here it is http://www.foodrenegade.com/pear-ginger-turkey-patties/I have made them twice in one week. I add one more pear because I love it and I think I add slightly more grated ginger. 

Good luck with those cakes. Cakes and wine are two of the hardest things for me. Well that and beer, and cocktails and popcorn... OK my list might be a lot longer than I thought, but regardless, I have made it this far and definitely not giving in to something which I will regret immediately. 

The blueberry sausage recipe looks amazing, however the muffins recipe above it looks like something I will mark to post-Whole30 because it looks delicious too!

Officially on the other side! Monday was day 30 and after a busy weekend I made myself a celebratory steak for dinner (huge salad on the side). It feels great knowing I could commit to what seemed like such a daunting program at the beginning. 30 days went by WAY faster than I would have thought and even though I can, I haven't really wanted to start working anything back in yet. I'm thinking I'll hold off on really re-introducing anything until I feel like I have a good reason to. I'm way too happy with eating better, feeling better, and not snacking to want to mess with it 'just because I can.' I also haven't gotten around to weighing myself. I'm definitely one of those people who become discouraged if the number on the scale doesn't look like I think it should, so skipping it altogether seems like a better bet! As far as non-scale victories go, my clothes are fitting better than they have in ages and I even got into a dress I hadn't worn in a couple of years! My eczema has been much more manageable than it usually is and is almost entirely gone from my face without having to use ridiculously harsh prescription medication. Finally, my asthma has been a lot better. I still get out of breath faster than other people, but I'm not wheezing for ages after I finish a WOD or a run any more. Hooray!

I can definitely say that after finishing 30 days, this is something that I will come back to again whenever I need it. It's such a simple way of correcting bad habits and I've had great results with my eczema and asthma. Sure I spent a little more on food, but cutting out 4 prescriptions just for my skin issues is a pretty great feeling :)

Archived