Starting 2nd Whole 30 Day on Tuesday

Jennyebn

I did my whole 30 in June/July with great results. I lost about 8 lbs and 2 inches in my waist. I felt great and had increased energy. Tomorrow will end my 9 day vacation where I ate horrendously in the evening and drank a lot of alcohol. I look like I'm pregnant though I had finally lost the bloat in my belly after my W30. I am also sleeping poorly and feel run down. Just looking for input and any suggestions on what to do differently during my 2nd W30. Thanks!

Hi Jennyebn! Just finished a second whole30. It was more difficult for me to even start the second time around, even though I knew I had to (off-roaded WAY too much in July and felt pretty much like what you're describing, every day). So I was selfish and recruited a friend at work to try it with me :) She was totally game, and we shopped together and made meals to share throughout the week. So nice to share some of the food prep work! We even set up a tumblr account so we could post pictures of meals and stuff.

I wanted to be more creative with my cooking this time, so I tried to recreate more things the whole30 way. Not SWYPO stuff, but trying to make dishes without the usual suspects (red sauce and BBQ without sugar, sweet and sour sauce using only pineapple juice as sweetener, spaghetti squash "noodles"). I got a little burned out on certain foods last time; I still don't really crave sweet potatoes or avocadoes. Creativity and new recipes really helped me stay on track.

I also tried to limit things that I was still eating for fun, rather than because I was hungry: fruit smoothies and nuts. During my first whole30 I had a smoothie and at least one serving of nuts each day. I definitely cut down on smoothie consumption by the end; they just left me with this weird sugar-high feeling after a while. I still ate a good deal of nuts, but not every day and in smaller portions.

I also cut back on exercise...or maybe just didn't stress about doing it every day? I dunno, just really wanted to focus on diet and all the good I was doing for my body without freaking out over exercise--was I doing enough, not doing enough...who cares. I walked the dog a few times a week, walked to the farmer's market on the weekends, did yoga once a week. Just took a chill pill for a while.

Anyway, that was my experience the second time around. Hope this helped or gave you some ideas! Good luck!

Archived