Glad to know we are all well keeping it steady

Granny D yes Meadow is hoot she keeps us lol

Jmcbn thanks but I haven't purchased his book yet still try to duplicate mm

April this thread was started again by dcducks1

Sounds like we made it A ok through to the weekend

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Friday all.  Meadow, I'm so glad your Paw is OK!  And I hope you enjoyed your caffeine ride - wheeeeeeee!

Dashing off to shower and work.  I'll catch up more soon!

CQueen -   Yay for Mom coming home!

MegaG - Thanks for all of your kind words.

GrannieD - A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Higs - Always kiss your goats, Goodnight!  Kiss all of your critters and creatures for me.

jmcbn - And they all lived happily ever after.   We will, too.

You know why everyone gravitates towards dried fruits and nuts?  Because they're they only items on the list that are the closest things to former snack foods.  Cashews have the most carbs of any nut.  You know what's better than nuts if they beckon your name?   Compliant oils.

Nuts are not to be used as the main source of fat.   It's so important to keep breaking the snacking cycles.  Picking up where we've left off with nuts and dried fruits is a seamless continuation of giving into cravings.   A snackless Whole 30....does not create a huge tug of war on Day 31.  Day 31 and beyond should be a reflection of positive food maintenace going foward - like waaaaaay into the future.   

I like KerryGold clarified butter.   I've been using that for a year.  A couple teaspoons of KerryGoldCB is better than  handfuls of nuts and dried fruits.  I also use MacNut Oil and my favorite EVOO, California Olive Ranch.    I go for a couple teaspoons of oil in tea...or directly out of the spoon.  You won't overdo with oil.  It smothers cravings.   I've been doing that for a year.   I also have some MCT Coconut Oil but that's not as soothing as EVOO, KGCB or MacNut...for me.

Morning, noon or night....don't let cravings get the best of you.  It's only artificial hunger.  Dried fruit sugars only keep the Sugar Dragon stirred up.   Dried fruits are to be used for cooking purposes and nuts are not to be used as primary source of fats.

April -  Day 3.   Chores keep our minds and hands busy.  Good food choices, chores and exercise help this group deal with anything life throws at us.  Anything.   It's how we turn our down cycles on their head.

• Fats

• Cooking fats: animal fats* including duck fat, goat fat, lard, and tallow (beef fat), clarified butter*, ghee* (* – must be pastured or 100% grass-fed and organic), coconut oil, extra-virgin olive oil (cook at low heat for a short time only). Unrefined red palm oil is also listed as good, but most people don’t like it as much as coconut oil

• Eating fats and nuts: avocado oil, cashews, coconut butter, coconut meat/flakes, coconut milk (canned), hazelnuts/filberts, macadamia nuts, macadamia butter, olives (all)

• Occasional nuts and seeds: almonds, almond butter, brazil nuts, pecans, pistachio

Limit nuts and seeds: flax seeds, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds/pepitas, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, sunflower seed butter, walnuts

Don’t use nuts, seeds, and nut butters as your primary fat source

Meal planning: Choose one or more fat sources per meal. Add in these quantities, per person per meal: Oils (olive oil, coconut oil, etc.): 1-2 thumb-sized portions. Butters (coconut butter, nut butters, clarified butter and ghee): 12 thumb-sized portions. Olives: 1-2 open (heaping) handfuls. Coconut (meal/flakes): 1-2 open (heaping) handfuls. Nuts and seeds: up to one closed handful. Avocado: half to one avocado. Coconut milk: between ¼ to ½ of a (14 oz.) can. Feel free to add more than these recommended quantities, but never add less – do not cut your fat intake below the low end of the range, even if you’re trying to lose weight

You can have a cup or two of coffee – after your first meal of the day, and before noon

A few shakes of salt is okay – alternate between iodized table salt (often the only source of valuable iodine in our diet) and sea salt

Most varieties of vinegar, including white, balsamic, apple cider, red wine, and rice, are allowed – see exceptions below

Minimally processed foods like canned coconut milk, applesauce, tomato sauce, chicken broth, or canned olives are acceptable

Food choices and quality

• Making good food choices is the most important factor in your healthy-eating transformation. Focusing on food sourcing comes second, so think about it when you’re able.

• Buy organic, local produce as often as possible

Priorities for food quality: (1) protein; (2) produce, (3) healthy fats

• Meal planning

• Eat meals at the table, in a relaxed fashion. Do not allow distractions like TV, phone, or email during mealtime. Chew slowly and thoroughly

•  

• Eat three meals a day. Start with breakfast (or “Meal 1”), ideally within an hour of waking. This meal is best if it is focused on satisfying protein and fat and nutrient-rich veggies, and not overloaded with fruit. Don’t snack, if you can help it. a 4-5 hour break between meals is beneficial. Stop eating a few hours before bedtime.

See above for meal planning for each type of food

For the first few weeks, use the meal plan sizes as your baseline. See how you feel. If you’re hungry all the time, try making each meal bigger than the last / add more protein and more fat, and see if that quells your hunger – if it does, that’s your new baseline; if not, there’s something more than hunger going on. If you’re not hungry for the first few weeks, it’s part of the hormonal recalibration and you should follow the meal plan.

Your own personal template will change over time – as your activity level changes and you lose weight or put on muscle mass, your nutritional needs will change too

This reminds me I am almost out of duck fat, down to my very last container. Time to plan a wee road trip to France to stock up as I love cooking with it. 

• Fats
    • Cooking fats: animal fats* including duck fat, goat fat, lard, and tallow (beef fat), clarified butter*, ghee* (* – must be pastured or 100% grass-fed and organic), coconut oil, extra-virgin olive oil (cook at low heat for a short time only). Unrefined red palm oil is also listed as good, but most people don’t like it as much as coconut oil
    • Eating fats and nuts: avocado oil, cashews, coconut butter, coconut meat/flakes, coconut milk (canned), hazelnuts/filberts, macadamia nuts, macadamia butter, olives (all)
    • Occasional nuts and seeds: almonds, almond butter, brazil nuts, pecans, pistachio
    • Limit nuts and seeds: flax seeds, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds/pepitas, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, sunflower seed butter, walnuts
    • Don’t use nuts, seeds, and nut butters as your primary fat source
    • Meal planning: Choose one or more fat sources per meal. Add in these quantities, per person per meal: Oils (olive oil, coconut oil, etc.): 1-2 thumb-sized portions. Butters (coconut butter, nut butters, clarified butter and ghee): 12 thumb-sized portions. Olives: 1-2 open (heaping) handfuls. Coconut (meal/flakes): 1-2 open (heaping) handfuls. Nuts and seeds: up to one closed handful. Avocado: half to one avocado. Coconut milk: between ¼ to ½ of a (14 oz.) can. Feel free to add more than these recommended quantities, but never add less – do not cut your fat intake below the low end of the range, even if you’re trying to lose weight
  • You can have a cup or two of coffee – after your first meal of the day, and before noon
  • A few shakes of salt is okay – alternate between iodized table salt (often the only source of valuable iodine in our diet) and sea salt
  • Most varieties of vinegar, including white, balsamic, apple cider, red wine, and rice, are allowed – see exceptions below
  • Minimally processed foods like canned coconut milk, applesauce, tomato sauce, chicken broth, or canned olives are acceptable
  • Food choices and quality
    • Making good food choices is the most important factor in your healthy-eating transformation. Focusing on food sourcing comes second, so think about it when you’re able.
    • Priorities for food quality: (1) protein; (2) produce, (3) healthy fats

CC made this very simple to follow.

All you have to do is ask yourself....is this a  Protein, Vegetable or Good  Fat that I'm about to put into my mouth? 

Nuts kickbutt.gif and dried fruits  kickbutt.gif

Nut buttersfryingpan.gif slathered on dried fruits  fryingpan.gif

If there was such a thing as a dried fruit and nut Whole 30....would they snack on meats and fishes inbetween meals?   Maybe....maybe.

Proteins should be the first food you think about.  Proteins are the miracle food.  Good Fats smother cravings and there's healing in the Greens, Vegetables of every kind.  

Foods to avoid with It Starts with Food – Whole30 Elimination

• Processed food  – especially if it contains MSG, sulfites, or carrageenan
  • Sugars and sweeteners (fail Good Food standards 1, 2, 3, and 4)
    • Regular sugar: brown sugar, cane sugar, raw sugar, beet sugar, confectioner’s sugar, etc.
    • Syrups: high fructose corn syrup HFCS, malt syrup, refiner’s syrup, rice syrup, etc.
    • Processed sugar: dextrose, disaccharide, fructose ,glucose, galactose, lactose, maltodextrin, maltose, monosaccharide, polysaccharide, ribose, saccharose, sucrose
    • “Natural” sugars: agave nectar, coconut nectar, coconut sugar, date sugar, (evaporated) cane juice, honey, maple syrup, molasses, rice malt (extract), (sweet) sorghum, treacle
    • Fruit juice – even if you make it yourself
    • Artificial (non-nutritive) sweeteners: aspartame, acesulfame-k/potassium, Equal, Nutra-Sweet, saccharin, Splenda, stevia, sucralose, SweetLeaf, Sweet ‘n Low, Truvia
    • Sugar alcohols: arabitol, dulcitol, erythritol, glycol, glycerol, hydrogenated starch hydrosylate (hsh), iditol, isomalt, lactitol, maltitol, mannitol, polyglycitol, ribitol, sorbitol, threitol, xylitol
  • Alcohol (fails Good Food standards 1, 2, 3, and 4)
    • All wines, beers, spirits; anything else containing alcohol
  • Seed oils (fail Good Food standard 4)
    • Canola (rapeseed) oil, chia oil, corn oil, cottonseed oil, flax (linseed) oil, grapeseed oil, hemp oil, palm kernel oil, peanut oil, rice bran oil, safflower oil, sesame oil, soybean (soy) oil (also known as vegetable oil), sunflower oil
  • Trans fats
  • Grains (fail Good Food standards 1, 2, 3, and 4)
    • Don’t include grains of any kind – no breads, cereals, pasta, rice, not even gluten-free grains or pseudo-cereals like quinoa; not even whole grains
    • Seeds of plants in the grass family: barley, corn (maize), kamut, millet, oats, rice (including wild rice, rye, sorghum, spelt, teff, triticale, wheat
    • Seeds that are not technically grains: amaranth, buckwheat, chia, quinoa
  • Legumes (fail Good Food standards 3 and 4)
    • Black beans, kidney beans, lentils, soy, and other above-ground legumes, whole or processed
    • Peanuts
  • Dairy (fails Good Food standard 2)
    • From cows, sheep, or goat milk
    • Milk, cheese, cream, butter (unless clarified), yogurt, kefir, etc.
    • Even if it’s pastured, raw, or fermented
  • Processed meats that are factory-farmed, or those with added sugar, MSG, sulfites or carrageenan
  • Vinegars with added sugar or sulfites; malt vinegar (which generally contains gluten)
  • Do not try to recreate junk foods or desserts (Paleo cereal, pizza, pancakes, brownies, ice cream, etc.) by using “approved” ingredients
  • Don’t cheat! One splash of milk in your coffee, … could short-circuit your “reset” button, forcing you to start the entire process over from day one

• Fats
    • Limit nuts and seeds: flax seeds, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds/pepitas, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, sunflower seed butter, walnuts
    • Don’t use nuts, seeds, and nut butters as your primary fat source
    • Meal planning: Choose one or more fat sources per meal. Add in these quantities, per person per meal: Oils (olive oil, coconut oil, etc.): 1-2 thumb-sized portions. Butters (coconut butter, nut butters, clarified butter and ghee): 12 thumb-sized portions. Olives: 1-2 open (heaping) handfuls. Coconut (meal/flakes): 1-2 open (heaping) handfuls. Nuts and seeds: up to one closed handful. Avocado: half to one avocado. Coconut milk: between ¼ to ½ of a (14 oz.) can. Feel free to add more than these recommended quantities, but never add less – do not cut your fat intake below the low end of the range, even if you’re trying to lose weight
  • You can have a cup or two of coffee – after your first meal of the day, and before noon
  • A few shakes of salt is okay – alternate between iodized table salt (often the only source of valuable iodine in our diet) and sea salt
  • Most varieties of vinegar, including white, balsamic, apple cider, red wine, and rice, are allowed – see exceptions below
  • Minimally processed foods like canned coconut milk, applesauce, tomato sauce, chicken broth, or canned olives are acceptable
  • Food choices and quality
    • Priorities for food quality: (1) protein; (2) produce, (3) healthy fats

When I read this, I'm reminded how they've relaxed things a bit for the W30 book. Thanks for the good reminders on this, I feel like I can't see it too often.

Coconut oil - a half-teaspoon right from the spoon. That, a couple olives, and a little bit of meat. If I need something because I'm truly hungry, that's where I'm going now. So satisfying.

I joined our local food co-op yesterday. Their veg is not as good as the local grocers', who do a pretty good organic selection. But the meat... oh the meat. So nice. All very happy pastured animals, fed real food for them and local, and sourced within about 50 miles. yum yum. I also made friends with the little farm down the street where I got the most beautiful braising greens last weekend. Hooray for FOOD!

Espie....CC will be back but a year ago she said...ask yourself before you dive in...Protein, Vegetable or Good Fat.   I still do that today.  

A strange thing happens the closer you move towards your setpoint.   The Body Bully starts fighting with you.   You would think it would cooperate.   Ahhhhh,  heckatoot,  Nooooooo.    The body keeps fighting with you and resisting every change right up until the moment you cave in and say...."I'm throwing the towel in and giving up."   

You have to win every battle or lose the war.    It's like the body parts get together while you're sleeping and say,  "Let's  give her some more kicks in the hindend kickbutt.gif  to deal with".......oh yeah, Baby.  

Let your guard down and the body parts move in on you like  Trojan soldiers.   They hide in your body and sneak up on you.....SURPRISE,   SURPRISE,  SURPRISE.

They pretend they're innocent, using that Gomer Pyle voice but don't let that fool you,  they do take a bite.   Ooooooo,  you have to stay on point, on guard.   The battlefield is in the mind and when the Trojan soldiers all gang up on you,  you've got a real battle on your hands.   

There is no finish line with your postive food management.   You have to create a strategy and firm plan for yourself going forward.   If you don't,   you'll be back here.   Keep your hineys glued to the saddle.   She's  GONNA BUCK!

You have to win every battle or lose the war.    It's like the body parts get together while you're sleeping and say,  "Let's  give her some more kicks in the hindend kickbutt.gif  to deal with".......oh yeah, Baby.  

Let your guard down and the body parts move in on you like  Trojan soldiers.   They hide in your body and sneak up on you.....SURPRISE,   SURPRISE,  SURPRISE.

There is no finish line with your postive food management.   You have to create a strategy and firm plan for yourself going forward.   If you don't,   you'll be back here.   Keep your hineys glued to the saddle.   She's  GONNA BUCK!

Meadow, you are a gift. Keep on postin' girl. Keep on postin.

Wait! No juice? I thought juice was ok. I don't drink it but I do marinate my ribs in it. Rut Row Raggy! 

Good Friday Morning! We have a mix of rain and snow today (Isn't it May?) so I'm feeling a bit lazy again... or that could be my W30 Hangover. Plus yesterday was a crazy day at work. 80% of it was spent in meetings. Glad that only happens once a month. Sadly, I'm working this weekend. At a roping. Outside in the snow/rain/cold. Let's hope I skip the 'kill all the things' phase... otherwise there's gonna be some hurtin' cowboys. Haha!

Going to pack my cooler full of the Big 3 - veggies, protein and fat. *Note to self: Make mayo tonight. Has to be food I can eat cold so I have 0 reason to hit up the concession stand. 

Laurie - Prayers for your hubby. Glad to hear I'll have a partner for the marathon... 60, 90 or 120. 

Meadow - Your friend is a true inspiration. Working out 2x a day... Makes me tired just thinking about it. Your post reminds me that I need to incorporate more fish into my meals. I'm not very adventurous and just stick to salmon. Not sure if I could do sardines. We'll see though.... one day perhaps. 

As far as the Fat vs. Muscle thing - I think people were told that muscle weighs more so that they could wrap their heads around the fact that they weren't dropping weight. For those people that are slaves to the scale, I imagine it was tough and people seem to focus more on that number than say the numbers off a measuring tape. My scale is now in my cowboy's bathroom. It takes a whole lot for me to go in there. I refuse to clean it for him so I have to avoid it. Haha. 

I miss when my dogs were big bellied lazy puppies... Guess I need another puppy to snuggle up to. LOL

So pleased with myself - one hour walk plus bodyweight exercises (variety of pushups, planks, squats, lunges, chair step ups) this morning.

Bad news had me in tears yesterday.  Steve is a member of a support group for myelofibrosis.  One of the guys who had a stem cell transplant two months before Steve is fighting for his life again.  The disease came back and turned into acute myeloid leukemia.  Hospital said 2nd transplant would be too risky and he is being referred to hospice.  We don't know this man but it hits to close to home.   

I wish you all lived near me.  I could really use some wonderful people in my life right now.  I do have a few great people in my life but there is something very special about all of you.

Yes, Laurie is correct.  Use fruit juice for your recipes but not for drinking. 

Laurie - so sorry to hear about the man in your support group.   I agree, a real shoulder is needed more than a virtual hug. We're here but there's nothing like the human touch.

Lissfish - the friend does inspire me because he's already been Back to the Future.  He's treading the sharky waters of maintenance.   Maintenance is everything for someone with that much of a weight release. The body is loaded to the gills with cells that have sticky fingers.   Those cells will latch back onto any excesses (thrill eating)....take it and run away with all of your hard work before you know what happened. Rebound gain is the Danger Zone.   It can take 3 years and beyond to stick that landing.  

Within 3 years, almost 80-85% have regained every single pound back. Fast weight loss no longer means anything to me now.  It doesn't move me at all.   What moves me...can I or anyone out there stick the landing?

So "you" (anyone) lost 15-20 lbs in a month.  Is it still gone a year from now.  Whether it's 20 or 100 in a year....report back a year later.   Did you stick the landing?  If you did, I want to know all about your secret keys that have unlocked the mysteries of weight stability.

Everything he shares, I write down in my journal.  I ponder and mull it all over. He's had counseling and help from trainers, workout buddies.  Anyone can go through the motions and shuck 20.  It's called a diet which is a four-letter word.   Whole 30 is not a cleanse.  It is a Food Reset.  Weight release can be a positive side effect of a Whole 30.  If you engage the mind with the Food Reset, not only do you get improved metabolism and energy levels.... We retain muscle mass.   Yes, there is the fat burning process that happens because of improved insulin levels.

With healthy blood sugar and thyroid function, the high quality proteins keep us full for 4-6 hours.  Then there is the boost to the immune system and the support of restful sleep and nightly cell renewal.

Weight stability....waaaay in the future - that's all I care about and want for everyone here.  What are your firm plans going forward?

Fast weight loss no longer means anything to me now.  It doesn't move me at all.   What moves me...can I or anyone out there stick the landing?

So "you" (anyone) lost 15-20 lbs in a month.  Is it still gone a year from now.  Whether it's 20 or 100 in a year....report back a year later.   Did you stick the landing?  If you did, I want to know all about your secret keys that have unlocked the mysteries of weight stability.

This.

Slow & steady wins the race....

Am I alone in not knowing what 'a roping' is?  :wacko: 

Our weather here is pretty unsettled too. It was glorious when I left for work this morning, but I got DRENCHED going back to my car from the office at home time. And there were all four seasons in between... I really should listen to my mum when she says that old saying 'Ne'er cast a clout 'til May is out' 

Laurie, so sorry to hear about your friend in Steve's support group. I've a sister living with secondary cancer so I know only too well how news of this sort hits close to home. You're doing great though, and you need to keep doing so to stay string for Steve - look after you, so that you can look after him. I'm sending virtual hugs, but appreciate that real life ones are better - find comfort in each other & stay strong.

Espie - it's so good to find somewhere that can provide you with good meat. I'm luck in that there are a number of farm shops in the twon where I work, and another within walking distance of my home - all supplying award winning meat & veg. You have to wonder how long the stock people buy from the supermarkets has taken to get to the shelves - how fresh is it really? what chemicals have been used in the packaging process? how big an impact did shipping it there have on our environment...?

Laurie - it's close to home.....but its not home! Care for Steve and let the love and prayers from all of us help you through this tough time. I have found out that three of my friends this week are being consumed by cancer. None of them will make it. It's painful and it sucks. I woke up this morning and I was 48 years old. I know of 4 people that have died in the past 6 months that were younger than me. I am happy to be here, happy to be able to help you, or anyone that wants to listen to be ramble on. I'm happy to see another birthday. I've never had any major illnesses in life that threatened my life....and I know it's only because of luck. It will catch up with me some day, but only the good die young so I should be around for quite awhile. Hug Steve....enjoy the day. Don't walk thru life on egg shells....dance and stomp....run and jump! Tomorrow's mysteries are only solved by living thru the day! Live the life that meadow describes as "full tilt boogie"!  

Dave

I woke up this morning and I was 48 years old.

Squirrel-with-acorn.jpg

I am happy to be here, happy to be able to help you, or anyone that wants to listen to me ramble on.

Funny-Squirrel-17.jpg

I'm happy to see another birthday. Tomorrow's mysteries are only solved by living thru the day!   

86864c57_modulescopperminealbumsuserpics

Dave

tumblr_me6wsqFmNU1ruu424o1_1280.jpg

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

DAVE

Archived