Dirty Thirty "Roundup and Ride"!

dcducks1

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning MeGA - what all have you reintro'ed so far? And what effects have you noticed...?

Good morning Jmcbn you had a crazy day/week at work and I'm glad you'll enjoy this weekend with your boys.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/29790-third-tigerwas-blind-but-now-she-sees/page-13#entry327065

Nothing I'd consume regularly. I prefer eating whole 30. :)

Good morning. Slept well because I figured out the bloating is gallbladder spasms.Fast cure was apple cider vinegar. In 15 minutes no more pain or bloating. Going to try some of the cures unless you guys know anything else.

Been feeling so bad I opted out of grandkids this weekend and paid for the babysitter.

Jmcbn...you are a marvel. Never take for granted all you are able to do.

Mega...thanks for the support and prayers.

Meadow..you are the glue that keeps us together. Thanks for your devotion.

OH..just what we needed.

Hultifr ..thanks and you know why

Gagal..you are a gem.

Btw my husband swears by organic apple cider vinegar (we use Braggs). He no longer takes stomach meds. Funny our GP hadn't even heard of the benefits (he was voted top doc in our state)

So the medical profession kind of pushes medically prescribed options. Go figure.

I am all in favor of non medical treatment. One of the cures for gallstones is apple juice but I'm afraid to drink that much sugar.

I often put apple cider vinegar and lemon juice in my water. I drink two glasses as soon as I wake up -- supposed to be a wake up call for the old liver and get it going and the rest of me too! I have been brewing herbal tea that I keep in the fridge and drink ice cold, mixing it up with water. 1 glass tea, 1 glass water. Hubby got me a couple of cool gear glasses that have their own straws and tops. These are pretty cool, because they have 'blue ice' in between the outer and inner glass so I can freeze them and the drinks stay good and cold. They hold 24 oz, and I get in 7-8 a day. 

I often put apple cider vinegar and lemon juice in my water. I drink two glasses as soon as I wake up -- supposed to be a wake up call for the old liver and get it going and the rest of me too! I have been brewing herbal tea that I keep in the fridge and drink ice cold, mixing it up with water. 1 glass tea, 1 glass water. Hubby got me a couple of cool gear glasses that have their own straws and tops. These are pretty cool, because they have 'blue ice' in between the outer and inner glass so I can freeze them and the drinks stay good and cold. They hold 24 oz, and I get in 7-8 a day.

I used to drink ACV daily...going to try that again. Abdominal pain after breakfast..pork and sweet potatoes. It is right sided pain

Dealing with Periods of Intense Stress (Part 2)

by Melissa Hartwig, co-founder of Whole9 and a recent survivor of The Whole30 book t0ur

Earlier this week in Part 1,  I talked about the irony of making myself less healthy while on the Whole30 book tour, promoting our healthy eating plan. Happily, however, I learned from my first experience (co-authoring and promoting It Starts With Food), and I find myself in a better (but still not awesome) place after our second book.

I also reminded you that you don’t have to embark upon a 14-city book tour to understand how I’m feeling, because every one of you has gone through (and will go through again) intense periods of life stress. So here is my plan for you, for the next time you encounter a period of stress, or know that one is on your horizon. Here’s how I will be able to recover from this intensely stressful time in a matter of a few weeks, versus a few months. Here’s what I did, and am currently doing.

Note: if you haven’t read the Whole9 Health Equation created by Whole9 co-founder Dallas Hartwig, please do so now. You’ll need a basic understanding of this concept to apply what I’ll be throwing down.

Before

If you know your stressful time is coming (a move, new baby, or work travel), you’re way ahead of the game, because there are things you can do to make yourself more resilient, building up your health bank account such that even a longer period of “withdrawal” keeps you in the black (or at least minimally in debt).

Head into this time period as bomb-proof as possible. Starting four to six weeks out, forgo some less healthy “treats” (like that late-night Game of Thrones marathon, that CrossFit competition you think might be fun to train for, or the post-work glass of wine that’s become the norm), in favor of doing what’s right for your health.

• Eat Whole30-ish; maybe there’s some added sugar in your bacon, but keep the foods you know make you less healthy to a minimum to keep your immune system strong.
  • Prioritize sleep quality; turn off screens, decline that late-night concert, and get as many hours as you can bank. Do not underestimate how important this will be.
  • Exercise smart and practice excellent recovery; dial down the intensity + duration in favor of lower intensity restorative work and strength work—healthy movement also keeps the immune system strong.
  • Even better, do it outside! Green space is a powerful mediator of stress, so spend time every day in your local park, mountains, ocean, or backyard—sunshine first thing in the morning will also help you sleep!
  • Build a support network; recruit family and friends (both in-person and virtual) to help you when things get hard. Maybe they pitch in with childcare or food prep, or maybe they’re just a sympathetic ear when you need to vent, the point is, you’ve got some human connection lined up when you’ll need them most.
  •  
  • Get help. I’m a big fan of counseling, whether that’s traditional psychotherapy, support groups, or non-traditional modalities, or guided spiritual practices. You want to head into the event as physically, mentally, emotionally, and (if this is your thing) spiritually prepared as possible, and trained counselors or practitioners can help you identify potential stumbling blocks  and create a plan for how to handle them.
During

If I could describe the “during” in just one word, it’s this: HEDGEHOG. Focus on resolving the most important thing that needs to get done for this stressful period to be over (prioritize the move, the baby, the work project), and use all of the other time and energy you have to keep making deposits to your health bank. Period. That’s all you do.

Those deposits may be tiny because that’s all you have capacity for, but take every opportunity you can to make them. When I was on tour, it sometimes meant getting outside for a 20-minute walk between events, arranging a healthy lunch with a friend, calling my therapist for a 10-minute stress-strategy session, or taking a 45-minute nap in the middle of the day.

It also meant prioritizing sleep (even if it meant my post-book signing “dinner” was a Primal Pac instead of an hour-long fine dining experience), and choosing only Whole30-ish food for the vast majority of my travels. Yes, I passed up on many a treat I believed would have been worth it under normal circumstances, but wasn’t given the stress I was under. (I’m looking at you, gluten-loaded, dairy-filled puffs at Toronto’s ONE restaurant. Yes, I’m still thinking about them.)

This also means saying “no” to some non-mission critical things that you might otherwise like to do, but will cost more than they add back. (No I cannot sign up for that wine tasting, no I cannot commit to this six-week exercise class, no I cannot meet you for the midnight movie.) It may mean redirecting so you get to make the same deposit in a healthier way. (Let’s check out the new teahouse/go for a walk/see an earlier show instead.) It may mean living what you might consider a “boring” life for a little while, but if that’s what it will take to get through this stressful time intact, then that’s what you do.

Because there is nothing more important than getting through this in once piece, and the last thing you want is to overdraw your bank account  halfway through, and realize that once this stressful time is done,  you have months of rebuilding your health ahead of you.

After

This is going to start sounding familiar, but once this period of massive stress is over, it’s time to get serious about restoring your health bank account. That means (you guessed it), eating Whole30-ish food most of the time, prioritizing sleep, keeping exercise in “healthy” territory (and not jumping back into high-intensity two-a-days just because you can), and continuing to do everything you can from a stress management, socialization, outdoor exposure, fun and play, and personal development perspective to get yourself back to your old resilient, strong, bomb-proof self.

In the weeks after the book tour, I’m back in the gym lifting weights and heading outside for longer walks and hikes, but not trying to do any high-intensity work longer than 30 seconds in duration. I’m in bed every night by 9:30 or 10 PM, trying to schedule social time during the day or earlier at night, so I can get 9 hours of sleep. I’m eating Whole30-ish (no off-plan foods, save a little added sugar in meats or condiments), even though my brain is screaming for sugar. And I’m back in therapy, because have I mentioned I love so many modes of therapy?

Wash, rinse, repeat for the most part (very special occasions excluded, catching up on Game of Thrones is not a very special occasion) until  you feel like you’re back in the black. How will you know? Your sleep is back to normal (no more “tired but wired” at night or early morning wakings), your bodyweight stabilizes, your energy is restored and steady all day, and you handle minor to moderate stressors relatively easily, without breaking down.

Stress Happens

This recovery could take a while… especially if you didn’t know the stressful times were coming, and you went into the experience already depleted. And yes, unexpected stress happens to the best of us, so isn’t that even more motivation to keep living the healthiest life you can all the time, keeping your health bank account as full as you can all the time?

That will look like different things to different people, but for me, it means: not letting poor food choices build up until I feel like crap, not letting too many late nights go by before I hibernate and catch back up, never letting myself get run-down with over-exercise or under-recovery (after all, I’m not getting paid to exercise), staying regularly connected with good friends and the outside world, and being proactive with stress management.

My goal for you today, with this article? To make you (as our friend Steph Gaudreau says) healthy, happy, and harder to kill. I wish you the best in health.

melissa-150x150.jpg
Melissa Hartwig is a Certified Sports Nutritionist, and the author of the New York Times bestselling book 
It Starts With Food and the upcoming book The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food FreedomShe has been featured in the Wall Street JournalDetailsRedbook, and Woman’s World as the co-founder of Whole9 and the Whole30 program. Melissa lives in Salt Lake City, UT.

Share this:

Melissa Hartwig, Whole9 says

June 8, 2015 at 4:29 pm

Now, there may be things you do around or on top of your basic recovery efforts that are taking more than they are giving, and those are worth looking at. Maybe you choose to sponsor someone who is not truly committed, and their bad attitude/non-compliance is costing you health dollars, or moving you further away from your own solid base of recovery. If that’s the case, you have to make the decision–is this optional effort still good for me, or is it draining my own account? Only you know the answer to that.

Best,
Melissa

Stress eating is only helpful for 5 minutes,  then it is major suckage.   It is a soul sucking activity that helps no one.

It's time to Cowgirl UP or go sit in the truck.  I'm going on.   Stress eating won't help me or my family.  

Doing what we've always done will get us what we've always gotten.  I am not enabler.  You know that.

This is Whole 30.   I don't believe in weight watchers.  I don't believe in branded dieting.

My mind is made up.   I'm going onto the Promised Land.   Eat my dust, Sugar Carb Dragon ....go ahead and sit in your corner and laugh....Let's go.    

This  wagon train is Whole 30 all of the way.  Westward ho the wagons.   We're pulling out.  Get on your horses and ride.  This is the roundup and ride.  This thread is for the Lewis and Clarks, the Sacagawea's...those who have true grit..    

I have true grit.

I do the Whole 30 for me.   I do the Whole 30 for my ancestors.  The ones I've lost to diabetes, heart problems, pancreatic cancer and wounded spirits.

I do the Whole 30 in their memory.  They help me.   Their memory and faces help me.   I do it with everything within my being.   I'm not going back to diabetes.  I cannot enable old habits.   My own or anyone else's.  

I cannot and I will not.  I  WILL myself ...as in giving myself permission to use my WANT POWER which is stronger than WILL POWER  to carry on.   

It's Whole 30 all of the way.   

I am an all or nothing person.  It can be used for good if you direct yourself towards complete recovery from old habits and trade UP for new thought patterns.   It takes engaging the head.

Engage the head and the body will follow.     I've learned how to be happy without stuffing myself with food.

"This is the new thread for my fellow Dirty 30 crew who are going on their second, third, and even more..... Whole 30 Programs. We are a group that has been around for several months and have grown very close. We know the rules (we don't fight them), we learn, we have fun, we love adding members to our ranks ONLY if you know what you are doing. If you have done at least one program....come on in! We are fun, open, supportive, (mostly nuts), but ready and willing to pull each other thru another successful program. Our group has a recipe of the day, chore list, exercise requirements, and even music and movies of the day. We encourage everyone to take advantage of everything that the group offers and appreciate max participation in the discussion threads." Our last two threads had thousands of posts and views. WE ARE THE REAL DEAL! Welcome to our mess!

Dave

Archived