Dirty Thirty "Roundup and Ride"!

dcducks1

I believe that you have to actually have one compliant Whole 30 before you can even do a reintro protocol of any kind.

Here a little, there a little and playing with play foods is a bunch of hooey  now.    You cannot have compliant days on several Whole 30's and call it anything.   Those have to be consecutive days...30 of them.

After 30 compliant consecutive days,  you can do a reintro.  You do not conduct that all in one day's time.  There are Whole 30 guidelines for the traditional and Slow Roll Reintro process.

Over a year ago, the reins were tighter.   I liked it like that because of being an all or nothing person.  I like good positive hindend kicks.   I like Tom Denham straight to the heart of the matter posts.  He doesn't mess around and neither should we.     He is a Lewis and a Clark.  

If you haven't actually completed 30 compliant days in a row.  Hit the Reset Button and start over.   You cannot pretend that you're Whole 30 while eating in secret.  In other words,  you cannot blow smoke or smoke signals  while hiding in your tipi eating ice cream and donuts and scones.

If you're been trying to pull the wool over our eyes, the buck stops here.  That all stops today.  I am in my Larabar Buster mobile and I've been driving around the block.  I've been around you know.   I have seen some secretly eating.  That's not Whole 30 or a thoughtful reintro...that's those old habits wrecking havoc once again.

Start over.  Hit the Reset Button.  You can only have an accurate reintro with an authentic Whole 30.  There is no other way.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A reintro doesn't mean you add back in all of the play foods and really live it up and then come back and start another Whole 30.  That's dieting.   It doesn't mean you stuff yourself with all of that multi-crap...a full on food bender blow out until you're stuffed to the gills and then start over. 

That's binge eating and more dieting.   

Mega.  There is a great gulf between them and me.  I won't really know what they think until they meet me.

I hope that's waaay into the future.   Until then,  I'm kicking some Whole 30 hindends.

I am a reformed T2 Sugar Burner.   I am a Larabar Buster.   As a Whole 30 Alumni,  I am allowed to encourage you.   That's my status.   

I want to see everyone make it into the Promised Land.  We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.    

Yes.  MegaG.   There was no accurate reintro.

Start over.  Hit the Reset Button and complete one authentic Whole 30.   Those 30 days must be in a row and not from several restarts. 

30 Days.  Then immediately start a reintro protocol...not adding back in all of your favorite foods in a week's time. 

MegaG.   Read your book from start to finish.   Quote the book.   I like the book quotes.   They motivate me.

The purpose of a reintro is for food testing and experimentation.  It is to determine which foods cause health problems,  which foods are triggers that will catapult one right back into old habits that create more problems.

The purpose of a Reintro is not a permission slip to go back and have a food bender.  A reintro is for testing purposes and not a thrill eating fulfillment exercise.

I completed a Whole 90 last summer.  90 compliant days....all in a row.   No slips or secret eating.  Nadda.

I then completed a Slow Roll Reintro process.   I tipped my toes back into the sharky waters of grains, dairy, legumes.  I did not go on a thrill eating bender.  I did not go back to baked goods and ice cream and candy.

I already know everything I need to know about sugar.   I was careful.   I went very slowly.  Wild rice. Legumes.

Dairy...extra sharp cheese like Hutlifr suggests.   Wheat.  Not refined wheat.   Whole wheat, whole oats, whole rye and barley in the package.    Not  a bakery blowout food bender.

One by one,  I tested food groups.   I know exactly how they make me feel.   After that, I created my own positive food management plan.   

A Whole 30 is only 30 consecutive days.   You can't call it a Whole 30 the minute you've stepped off the 30 day train.  That's over.   Anyone who has completed a reintro process is no longer doing a Whole 30.    You can't call it a Whole 30 while you thrill eat here and there or eat sandwiches and chips.   It's over.  You're doing your own thing.

The split second you eat sugar,  that's over.   Wheat and oats and floury everything.   Stick a fork in it.  It's done.  That Whole 30 is over.   

Those foods that gave you problems before...that hasn't changed.  You don't need to keep eating them to figure out trigger foods.   You knew what they were before you started a Whole 30.   For your good results to continue, your new thought patterns need to continue.

Many, many are under the same assumption that you simply go back to all of your former foods and enjoy them until you've had enough of them.  Most rebound with every single pound and then they start another Whole 30.  That's dieting and frankly, it can become part of another cycle that's not productive.

The Sugar Manifesto

From Whole9, as a preface to our Manifesto series:

manifesto-definition1

As we wrote in It Starts With Food, “We have a theory about food that directly influences the rest of this book. The food that you eat either makes you more healthy or less healthy. Those are your options.”

Of course, we spend the rest of the book explaining why a concept that sounds so simple is not that simple at all in practice. That’s why our Good Food recommendations are based on not just one foundation, but a combination of three:

Nutrition-Pyramid-Web-NEW

Based on the science as we understand it today, and our clinical experience with the tens of thousands of people who have completed our Whole30 program, we make some general recommendations as to which food groups may make you less healthy—including sugar and artificial sweeteners. Below, we’ll outline the basics of our case against consumption of added sugars in any form as part of your daily diet. But until you undertake your own self-experiment (via the Whole30) for yourself, you’ll never know for sure how consumption of added sugars are affecting how you look, how you feel, and your quality of life.

http://whole9life.com/2012/08/the-sugar-manifesto/

So what is this?   I've posted many times....

Am I supposed to count calories? How will I know if I’m eating enough?

We don’t think weighing, measuring or tracking your intake facilitates a healthy, sustainable relationship with food. In addition, folks often override the signals their body is sending them (eat more!) because they get so stuck in the numbers (calories, blocks, grams or points). When you’re eating GoodFood, you don’t have to track your intake. The nutrients in thefoods we recommend, coupled with the healthy hormonal responses these foods promote, send accurate satiety signals to your brain to tell you when you’re hungry, and when you’ve eaten enough.

Your body knows how much you should be eating better than any calculator you pulled off the internet – and when you’ve been eating Good Food for a while, you can trust the signals your body is sending you. If you’re brand new to Paleo, use our meal planning template help you figure out portion sizes and meal frequency. After a few weeks, you can let your energy levels, hunger, mood and performance in the gym or in your sport help you decide whether you need to eat more.

So what is this?

This Whole 30 thread covers diverse and important Whole 30 topics in a complicated world. This is a compliant Whole 30 thread while sometimes snarking it up and having fun along the way.  It is not to be confused with a non-cooking or non-compliant Whole 30. 

This is not a reintro thread.   This is a Whole 30 thread for those who've completed a Whole 30 and understand the rules, follow the rules and embrace the rules.  This is for those in the process of completing 30 consecutive "Whole 30" days.   This thread is wide open for Moderators.   We like it that way.

We do not use food as entertainment.    Those here are working on a bunch of sugar avoidance.  Let's just get it out there.  We don't use any.  None.   I don't touch it.  SpinSpin doesn't touch it.  jmcbn doesn't touch it unless she has planned for it in the most Whole 30 way.   Hutlifr doesn't touch it.  

If I stepped off the side of the train station and fell onto the sugar tracks below...where do you think I would be.  I don't need off-roading with sugar or baked goods or candy or multi-crap.  I would be in the ditch.

I'm going for it like Tom Denham did.    I want what he has.  He knows how to stick the landing.   Whatever he's having....I'm having that, too.    He is my role model.  So let's just get it all out there.   

I don't want T2 Diabetes anymore.  The Whole 30 has made this dream possible.   So I'm going on....come heck or high water.

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 5880 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

Drop it. During a Whole30, we want you to practice listening to your body. Counting/tracking gets in the way. You don't even need to keep afood log. A log helps so that we can spot when you might need to eat more protein, fat, or carbs, but a log should not be a substitute for tracking/counting.Your body may not be giving great signals now, but ultimately, your body is more authoritative than any record could be.

If you know what you're doing, you don't need a food log.  If you don't know what you're doing...only a food log that invites a Moderator to look your food over is worthwhile in my estimation. 

All other dieting logs are very confusing to newbies.  Logs filled with all of the favorite non compliant foods are also confusing to newbies.  Reintro logs that are for legitimate testing purposes are helpful.   Very helpful.

There's a very thin like to walk between the two.  

Mega...you don't need to feel guilty about eating dessert but it is no longer a Whole 30.  That stopped the minute any sugar or wheat was reintroduced.  Anyone can eat desserts and baked goods from now on after their 30 days.   A Whole 30 is only 30 days.  There is no such thing as a Whole 365.    For good reason.  It's not really possible. There will be slips and real life.   They don't want 365 days of rigid rules.  Only  30 days.

A Whole 30 is not a diet.  It was never intended to be a diet.   It's a Food Reset.  That's it.

It can only be called Whole 30 if it is legitimate and authentic.   There are imaginary Whole 30's.  I see all variations on a theme.  

The rules have to be followed for 30 days.  One cannot add up all of their days on restarts and make it a Whole 30.  Some do that.   It needs to be 30 consecutive days.   Only one is needed.   

So when is dinner OldeHiker? (A Very Happy Belated Birthday to you and Thank you for your service  :)  My dad and uncle were in the Navy -- Dad served at the end of the Korean War, and my uncle after my dad. My step brother just retired a few years ago from the Army after serving 40 years, my niece, his daughter has served 6 years in the Air Force and has just signed for another 6. Hubby served in the Marines.) 

It can only be called Whole 30 if it is legitimate and authentic. There are imaginary Whole 30's. I see all variations on a theme.

The rules have to be followed for 30 days. One cannot add up all of their days on restarts and make it a Whole 30. Some do that. It needs to be 30 consecutive days. Only one is needed.

Yes my W30 went from June 22nd through July 28th and I really didn't start reintro until August 5th. ... I haven't anything to feel guilty about.

Meadow -- I am right there with you. I know that wheat is the killer for me (of course along with that evil white sand -- sugar). I remember you telling me about your elbows hurting when you ate wheat, and I thought that I would try wheat (again) to see what it would do to me. Mostly as a reminder as to WHY I don't eat it -- my knees ached like I had arthritis, my ankles swelled up and um gi issues. So besides being a huge no no for my diabetes, feeling all that  yuckiness is exactly why I don't eat wheat. No pizza, not even super duper thin crust, no pasta, no french bread, no sourdough, no fried dough balls -- nada. Besides making my body ache, it sends my blood sugar on a rocket ride and it can take up to 4 days to get my blood sugar and my brain right again. No dried fruits, no larabars -- i showed hubby a lamb Epic bar and he was intrigued so I am thinking about getting some for his lunch box and he liked the fact that they were meat, not pressed date gluey goo. 

Whole 30 has been a blessing for me. 

Meadow -- I am right there with you. I know that wheat is the killer for me (of course along with that evil white sand -- sugar). I remember you telling me about your elbows hurting when you ate wheat, and I thought that I would try wheat (again) to see what it would do to me. Mostly as a reminder as to WHY I don't eat it -- my knees ached like I had arthritis, my ankles swelled up and um gi issues. So besides being a huge no no for my diabetes, feeling all that  yuckiness is exactly why I don't eat wheat. No pizza, not even super duper thin crust, no pasta, no french bread, no sourdough, no fried dough balls -- nada. Besides making my body ache, it sends my blood sugar on a rocket ride and it can take up to 4 days to get my blood sugar and my brain right again. No dried fruits, no larabars -- i showed hubby a lamb Epic bar and he was intrigued so I am thinking about getting some for his lunch box and he liked the fact that they were meat, not pressed date gluey goo. 

Whole 30 has been a blessing for me. 

We've been at this together.   No sugar.   No multi-crap.  Nadda.  

Our health and overall well being depends on it.   If branded dieting worked so darned well,  how come they can't stick the landing?   If that show...biggest l ---- worked so well, how come there's so many repeat customers who've rebounded with every single pound?

Diet is a four letter word.   It doesn't work.  

Even those who go so far as having stomachs removed...without a Head Reset...go right back at it.  It takes more than will power and dieting and surgery.  

The Whole 30 is a blessing.  It has helped me reverse the curse of T2 diabetes.   A branded diet never did that for me.  

Archived