Dirty Thirty "Roundup and Ride"!

dcducks1

Melissa Hartwig says

August 27, 2012 at 9:29 am

Anna,

I assure you, I understand the pathophysiology of insulin resistance. And I didn’t think I needed to state something that should be common sense, but apparently I do.

If you have a particular context in your individual life – if you’re allergic to carrots, have a disease process, or simply hate the taste of carrots – then don’t eat carrots. It’s that simple. But that doesn’t make carrots as a whole an unhealthy choice for any one population as a whole (including diabetics) – only for particular individuals, in their individual context. The danger of overstatements of this nature is the exact point of the article.

Best,
Melissa

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"We understand the fact that, when both choices are good, one might be more good. And we do caution against using “sugary” real food like fruit as a substitute for real sugar if you’re having cravings. But unless eating carrots are going to tempt you into a box of Krispy Kremes, we are not worried about your intake.

And we seriously doubt any proposed “carrots as a “gateway vegetable” theory.

So let’s not be too quick to jump on the Carrot Train to Crazytown. Take a step back and think about your food choices from a rational perspective. Eating mostly high-quality meat, seafood, eggs, vegetables, fruits, and healthy fats? You’re doing better than 99% of the general population. Want to take it further? Try to balance your fruits and vegetables on a bigger scale. Eat plenty of color, get plenty of variety, and fill every plate with leafy greens. But, like, you want a banana? Eat one. Want some beets, or a sweet potato, or some carrots? Have them. Because in the whole scheme of things, fruits and vegetables are still, as far as we know, good for you."

Except for corn, of course.

"The answer isn’t to stop eating carrots – it’s to control blood sugars with healthy dietary strategies in the first place."

Melissa

If your good habits do not continue, neither will your good results. The only way to control blood sugar is with healthy whole foods. There is an assumption that somehow after 30 days your body will process multi-crap in a magical way.  It's a permission slip for the slippery slope back into bowls of pasta, bread and pizza.   Maybe you can budget 2 days out of 7 or even 1 meal out of 3 for refined carbohydrates.  The answer is stop eating refined carbohydrates if you want to control blood sugar.

Hi GaGal...sounds like a great day .... It was a ton of fun but were pooped. How was your day? How is your daughter?

She has been working a lot and should get her apartment soon. She has been staying with friends so I know she is safe. Little grandson is very sad...he doesn't understand. Baby is fine. At least they are all safe.

She has been working a lot and should get her apartment soon. She has been staying with friends so I know she is safe. Little grandson is very sad...he doesn't understand. Baby is fine. At least they are all safe. ..... Thank goodness! She has been constantly in my thoughts these last few days. I know you are relieved.

It was good.

I had a weird reaction to a pablano pepper.. I was eating it raw and by itself.. and it felt like I was having novacaine in my face.. so apparently I was having some kind of reaction.. and cayenne peppers and chili peppers are in the same family.  So during my W30 I've been eating all meat chili with tomatoes.. and chipotle peppers and cayenne peppers.. and did notice a few days of light swelling in my fingers.. so I'm going to start a new Whole30 and not make any chili during it to rid myself of all the different capsaicin spices, etc.   Then I might try a bowl of chili to see what happens. ( haven't been more than a week or two without chili

Afterward, I'll try some oats(grains) I never did try them this time and I never did get around to trying my peas either.

Archived