Tom Denham

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 6504 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:35 AM

The biggest failure of the Whole30 program is the large number of participants who fail to use the Whole30 experience to develop and commit to their own personal eating plan. We see people do repeated Whole30s without ever establishing their own program. So you have a lot of company with your on/off approach.

I did my Whole30 in 2010 and have never done another one. I may go for weeks at a time perfectly compliant with the Whole30 program, but I have never seriously considered doing another formal 30 days. It may be because my personal program works so well. Here is what the Tom Denham Program looks like...

I work from home, so normally eat all but 3 meals per week at home. That gives me a big advantage over people who work away from home or who go out a lot because everything I cook at home is Whole30-compliant. I am a great cook and have published more than 400 Whole30-compliant recipes. I could have published another 200-300 recipes by now, but I got bored with updating my recipe blog and don't. I mention this to explain that I eat like a king even though everything I prepare meets Whole30 standards. I highly recommend committing to your personal cooking being 100 percent Whole30-compliant. And then make sure you cook really tasty food. 

When I eat out, I continue to emphasize eating meat and veggies, but I eat rice in Thai restaurants, dairy in sauces, and occasionally eat a dessert if I am convinced it will be special. However, I eat large quantities of food, so usually have little room left for dessert. I never order anything sweet just to have something sweet. When I eat out, I don't ask about cooking oils, what is in sauces, etc. because nothing causes me serious problems. But I avoid pasta, bread, beans, etc. because I prefer to fill up on meat and veggies. I drank my first soda in 5 years two months ago when I stopped for food along the highway in a rural area. I might have gone another five years without drinking another one except last week I was in a town that was under a boil water advisory. I ordered a Diet Coke with my lunch. I enjoyed the coke, but I really may go another 5 years because I really like water with lemon as my beverage. 

I am a rare case, but the common mistakes I see people making after a Whole30 is indulging in anything that sounds good at any time. I think you have to commit yourself to eating meat and veggies most of the time and to eat other foods only rarely. By rarely, I mean no more than once or twice per week. And those times should be reserved for occasions when it is really difficult to find anything else to eat

I hope more people speak up on this topic because I don't think I am giving you as many ideas as would be useful.  :)

I believe in simplicity.  This is not hard.   Nothing about this is difficult.  Mr. D.'s approach embodies everything great about a Whole 30.    His own positive food management plan.  He does his own good home cookin' and that's pretty sweet if you  ask me.   He knows his boundaries and where to draw a line in the sand.   I admire that.  

These ideas are tangible and concrete.  We all need our own strategy and plan.  Once or twice a week would be too much for me.  "Commit to eating meat and veggies most of the time.  Eat other foods only rarely."   There you have it.  That sums it up in a few words.   

I can handle a holiday item.  Your mileage may vary.  Like a few water crackers with an extra sharp piece of cheese.  I use Hutlifr's advice for that.  The sharper the cheese the easier it is on you.   I can have pinecones and dirt.  Old shoes and grasshoppers.  Lawn clippings and crickets.  That's about it. 

Evening y'all. :). It was a busy busy day. But the new students have arrived and there were tons of smiles all around. This is one of my favorite days all year. How was everyone's day?

Oooo yay!  I like it when you get home from work.  My feet are frozen.  It was in the 40's today and it's the middle of August.   I had to turn the furnace on.  My folkaronies did, too.  The crickets have been chirping like they're expecting an early, long winter.   I have my coat and wool slippers on.  Lil Soph was shivering, she's bundled up in a toasty blanket. I can see snow on the mountain tops.  

I think it (winter) is coming early too. And it's gonna be cold. We haven't had mornings that cook yet but it has been in the 50s a few times recently. It won't be long. You make sure those folkironies stay warm. Little Sophie too.

Here's a recent Grizzly.  They're coming down into the bottoms and working the gooseberries over. Two days ago.  So it's not a good idea for me to be hiking in the same places.  Nahhh.  I'm on standby. Swimming is fine. I want to stick the landing with a hiney...a smaller hiney but not one that's chewed off. Goosed by a Grizz.

11866405_1044053322286114_48458228509444

Horrendous headache this morning. Guessing it's lack of caffeine..

I seem to be eating lots of meat.  I guess I need to find a way to cut back. It's just too delicious! It's my no brakes food.

Glad everyone is doing well.  

I had my Doppler today. Clot is still there from last August. My guess is it's been there longer than that.  Doc will call me to let me know about continued coumadin or not.  I am hoping to stop the coumadin!!!

Have a great night!

Here's a recent Grizzly. They're coming down into the bottoms and working the gooseberries over. Two days ago. So it's not a good idea for me to be hiking in the same places. Nahhh. I'm on standby. Swimming is fine. I want to stick the landing with a hiney...a smaller hiney but not one that's chewed off. Goosed by a Grizz.

I think that is a really good plan. Hiney needs to be intact. :)

Horrendous headache this morning. Guessing it's lack of caffeine..

I seem to be eating lots of meat. I guess I need to find a way to cut back. It's just too delicious! It's my no brakes food.

Glad everyone is doing well.

I had my Doppler today. Clot is still there from last August. My guess is it's been there longer than that. Doc will call me to let me know about continued coumadin or not. I am hoping to stop the coumadin!!!

Have a great night!

Hiker I'm sorry about the clot. That sucks. Coumadin is no bueno. :(

• Administrators

Here's a recent Grizzly.  They're coming down into the bottoms and working the gooseberries over. Two days ago.  So it's not a good idea for me to be hiking in the same places.  Nahhh.  I'm on standby. Swimming is fine. I want to stick the landing with a hiney...a smaller hiney but not one that's chewed off. Goosed by a Grizz.

In our area they are saying because everything was 2 months early (berries, plants etc) because of the heat we've had since mid April, everything is done and over with only now the bears are starting to look for hibernation foods and there won't be any. We've had 2 black bears in the last 3 days in our cul de sac (and one bob cat) and we usually get two per season.....so suspect we'll be seeing quite a few this year. Poor bears! :(

In our area they are saying because everything was 2 months early (berries, plants etc) because of the heat we've had since mid April, everything is done and over with only now the bears are starting to look for hibernation foods and there won't be any. We've had 2 black bears in the last 3 days in our cul de sac (and one bob cat) and we usually get two per season.....so suspect we'll be seeing quite a few this year. Poor bears! :(

Poor critters are losing all their places. I hope they will find enough to eat.

That's funny! Well not so funny if it actually happened

• Administrators

Poor critters are losing all their places. I hope they will find enough to eat.

In this case they are doubly screwed because of mother nature this season. And some moron will elect not to properly use their bear proof garbage bin so the bear will habituate the area and around here, a fed bear is a dead bear.

Archived