Serves 2

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 to 60 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes to 1 hour 10 minutes  

Ingredients:
2 medium beets
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 orange, halved, one half zested and juiced, one half peeled and cut into segments
1/2 tsp salt 
1/4 tsp pepper
1 avocado, split lengthwise, pitted, peeled, and diced 

Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Rinse the beets thoroughly and carefully stab all sides with a fork. Place in a medium bowl and add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, tossing or mixing to thoroughly coat. Wrap the oiled beets in aluminum foil, pinching the top closed to create a seal. Place the beets in the center of a baking sheet and roast for 35 minutes. Check them by carefully opening the foil and sticking a thin knife into the center of a beet: If it goes in easily, the beets are done. If there’s resistance, close them back up and put back into the oven for 10 minutes. Repeat until the knife slides into the center of the beet easily. Let cool until cool enough to handle.

2. Remove the skin from the beets — you may want to wear gloves and an apron, as beet juice will stain your skin and clothes. Dice the beets into 1-inch pieces and place in a serving bowl. 

3. In a small bowl, combine the remaining tablespoon of olive oil with the vinegar, orange juice, salt, and pepper, and whisk until combined. 

4. Add the orange segments and avocado to the beets. Drizzle with the dressing, sprinkle on the orange zest, toss to coat, and serve. 

If you’re planning to double this recipe for leftovers, double everything but the avocado. The dressed beets and orange slices will hold up well in the fridge for a day or two, but avocado tends to turn brown and mushy. Your best bet is to add a fresh avocado to your leftovers right before serving. 

Pro Tip: Beets
If you get whole beets with the stems still on, you’ll want to remove them before roasting. Cut them about an inch above the root, not any closer. You don’t want to risk cutting into the beet itself, as that will allow juice and flavor to leak out while roasting. Beets can really vary in their cooking times, so don’t be surprised if yours require a full hour to fully roast. Plan ahead, or roast them on your meal prep day — they’ll keep in the fridge for three to four days. Make sure you peel them before storing, though — they’re easier to peel when they’re still warm.

wildlife-050113-001.jpg

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, dcducks, for your hello & bit about yourself. Loved it.

Here's a smattering of Espie lore:

I live in the beautiful Pacific NW, have my whole life. I might live somewhere else in the future, but my heart will always be here with the salt water and evergreens. I'm in my mid-forties, am married to a brilliant man for over 20 years. No 2-legged kids but one 4-legged one that I love like crazy:

IMG_1900_medium2.JPG

Worked for over 20 years in the Tech Sector, 12 of them at Microsoft, where I learned many great things but also: how to have anxiety and panic attacks, stress out until sleep was an untouchable thing, how to be rude and unkind, and how to make your body really, really sick. I quit 4 years ago, and slowly switched my career from tech over to (get this) fiber arts. Now I'm working on a Master Craftsman degree in handspinning & teaching kids and adults about all types of fiber crafts.

I'd gotten increasingly sick - pre-diabetic, hormone issues, chronic fatigue, panic attacks, depression. When I left work, I slept 9 hours plus a nap every day for over a year. I always felt awful. Then, last summer, I tried eliminating wheat. Whoa! such a difference! But bread called my name and I slowly went back. Finally, this Jan. I got a 24-hour bug that completely wacked out my gut. 2months later and I still wasn't right. Doctor said "looks like classic lactose intolerance," so I cut out dairy. That helped some, but I was still tired and feeling gross all of the time. About a month ago I stumbled across W30. It sounded interesting... and then fascinating. I read everything I could. I ordered the new book, got it on release day, started my first W30 program a few days later. After 2 days I felt better than I had in a decade, and that's no lie.

And here I am. Ready to RIDE. I've had to cinch up the saddle once, and raise the stirrups once too. But I am crammin' that hat down on my head and already 1 mile down the road. LET'S GO. WOOT!  (<---- girls from WA don't say "yippie ki yay", they say WOOT)

Espie - thanks for sharing the path that you have traveled to get to where you are. I'm glad to have you along. If things go well, I hope all of us will be "cinching up the saddles" by the end of this 30 day ride.

Meadow - going to try the pork chop recipe this weekend.

Rough week, all of finals are done and turned in! Work was crazy all week and I mentally feel like I am finished. At least I am off tomorrow and hopefully the wife and I can take the boat to Shark's tooth Island for some sun and relaxation. Been dizzy a few times tonight so I need to adjust a few things in my diet tomorrow. I'm sure it's the body saying "what happened to the damn sugar"! Had a nice dinner, walked the dogs with the wife, chatted with my boys, took a long soak in the tub ( finished my master bath remodel last week and had to try out the new tub) and now I am ready for bed. Done.....done......done!

Goodnight all

Dave

Hey Espie, I totally get the need to be creative when working in Tech. All the sterility of computing especially with virtualisation technologies where nothing is real makes you need a part of your life where you can actually touch and see what you are doing. I still work in Tech but for hobbies I do analogue photography (I'm learning to develop and print the photos I shoot), I write and I paint very badly but I love doing it. 

Hey Espie, I totally get the need to be creative when working in Tech. All the sterility of computing especially with virtualisation technologies where nothing is real makes you need a part of your life where you can actually touch and see what you are doing. I still work in Tech but for hobbies I do analogue photography (I'm learning to develop and print the photos I shoot), I write and I paint very badly but I love doing it. 

Yes! There were a lot of years where I didn't see how what I was doing mattered in the big picture of life. One more set of devices, one more batch of code, yada yada. To switch over & work with tangible things - fiber, animals, tools, craft - that has a history of thousands of years. Well. Now that *is* something more like it. And teaching kids some of that history while helping them learn how to make things that they can use; mittens, hats, etc. It just resonates with me.

I love that you're doing analogue photography! Is it hard to find actual film these days? I write and draw very badly too. But it's fun, yes? :) I'd love to hear more about your photography.

It is surprisingly easy to get film, it helps that a friend runs an analogue photography shop and I can get all the supplies I need from him. I shoot mostly with a Canon 1V which is the best camera they ever made but I also have a camera that is about 60 years old and a cheap plastic Lomo that is just for fun. My avatar is one of my photos. You can see more of them here https://www.flickr.com/photos/louise_aren/sets/

Do you have photos of your creations online?

It is surprisingly easy to get film, it helps that a friend runs an analogue photography shop and I can get all the supplies I need from him. I shoot mostly with a Canon 1V which is the best camera they ever made but I also have a camera that is about 60 years old and a cheap plastic Lomo that is just for fun. My avatar is one of my photos. You can see more of them here https://www.flickr.com/photos/louise_aren/sets/

Do you have photos of your creations online?

Oh my goodness, Loulabelle! So gorgeous. I love that you do so much black and white photography. It is stunning. You have a gift.

Here are a couple of pictures; first is of some handspun and second is a beaded shawl I knit last summer (of which I am inordinately proud :P)

IMG_0715_medium.JPG

IMG_2664_medium2.JPG

That shawl is divine! You should be proud of it. I love the colours in the wool, what are you going to make with it?

That one got sold on Etsy. I wish I knew what became of it!  The colors were so lovely. Muted olives and lavenders and greys; I always thought it should be used to weave an elvish fabric, like the capes Galadriel gave to the adventurers in Lord of the Rings. <3

Hey everyone! How's the whole30 going! Great for me! Wednesday eve, I started kalua pig in the crock pot and seasoned some chicken leg/thighs for marinating in the fridge. There were a total of 4. Two I used the seasonings used in Well Fed 2's Chicken Nanking and the other 2 I used the seasonings from the West African Chicken Stew. Kalua pig was ready by M2 time yesterday, had it with a salad. M3, put the West African seasoned leg/thighs in the oven and cooked up some red beets and finished off the Italian veg, after picking out the offending Lima beans! Both veg were sauteed w/ghee. I had thought I would trial the Ezekiel bread next, but upon perusing the ingredients, realized it was something I should trial further down the road in WholeLife, as it contains a combo of grains, gluten and non gluten, as well as lentils. too many things at once... Things are still a bit crazy here. Between trying to get things sorted, rid, rearranged, mowed, planted etc. and visiting mom in Rehab, I often don't post, but just check in for motivation! Keep the motivation coming!

M1: Technically it was 2 eggs, but one was a double yoker! :P with onion, shitake, and left over Italian veg from last nights M3.  Chores today, finish mowing the yard, plant the pansies I got for the front median, run the tiller over veg garden one more time. Rain is coming tomorrow!

Archived