Dirty Thirty "Roundup and Ride"!

dcducks1

Yeah!

So happy that you all made it through

Not being what the cat dragged in

Espie you made it! Good for you and so looking forward to your new lifestyle changes

We are rooting for you please hang with us awhile

Us stragglers may need your help

Dave good to see you enjoyed all the fun

setting a great example and loving life

SpinSpin Choices and sticking and satisfaction

do make all the difference

Thank you for affecting and reinforcing my journey here

Jmcbn yes one day at a time sometimes it's hours

I never believed food would or could effect my life this way I'm in

Meadow Meadow Meadow you rock

I don't believe in coincidence

Took my parents Dad had a procedure he's ok

As I was in a waiting room this morning I went to this forum to catch up as I scrolled by your video

Playing on the radio was "Long cool woman in

A black dress" lol :))))) Made me lol

Post post post

we are an unusual medly of friendly yet very smart individuals who blend so well

Noooo I don't think we'd have a food fight just lots of hugs and good laughs and wonder of why it

took so long and how we all came to be here

Blame Dave :)

Thanks Dave for the invite

we will overstay our welcome

This is a very happy place to rest and ponder

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MamaG - don't you think a food fight would be fun?  I do.  No coconuts or sweet potatoes, though.  

So what about Long Cool Woman was a copasinki coinkydink for you?  I wanna know.  I'm glad your Paw is alright.

Alrighty then.  We're comin' in hot on the home stretch.   I posted Melissa's coffee experience so I can remind myself of the cortisol boosting properties of coffee and what it does to the old 'BS' blood sugar and oh yeah, it increases belly blobs.   T eye izzzzz true.  Blame it on cortisol.  I'm not sucking that up, buttercups.

I will not embrace that.  I ain't going down with the Belly Blob Ship.  It is NOT the good ship lollypop.   That Belly Blob Ship is loaded to the gills with norovirus.  That ship is a real sinker and I say let that sucker sink to the bottom of the sea.   Noooo,  I ain't going down like that.

I'm not going to use the Belly Blob as a natural flotation device either.   I don't need no stinkin' innertube hanging around my middle waiting for the flood waters to rise.  Sorry, Houston...for all of your problems.  

Soooo,  I gave up coffee and within a few days, the Belly Blob started to go down.  Oooooo peoples. Giving up coffee is so hard for me to do.  I've given up many things and it was my last tiddly wink reward.   If you've been stuck for weeks and weeks like I was,  give that LILY LIVERED SAPSUCKER up.

Coffee is a sapsucker and it will suck the life out of your resolve as you make your way towards the finish line that does not exist.  There is no finish line with food management skills.

Thank you for the reminder Meadow Lilly. I had not been drinking coffee but added it back in as a treat during W30. Think I will stop again before I am hooked - have stopped drinking coffee at least 42 times in my life due to a potential cross reactivity to gluten . I notice when I drink coffee my abdomen bloats above my navel. When I have a full scale food reaction my whote tummy bloats but coffee is above my waist. I wonder why that is? Any thoughts?

Hello. Hello. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

I went down to Yuma to spend a relaxing 4 days with my Grandfather. Had planned to cook for him the whole time but he wouldn't let that happen. It's really hard to argue with an elder.  I tried my best to stay compliant while eating out, took my own dressing, order basic foods, asked about food prep, etc. But I'm feeling super yucky (yesterday and today) so I'm assuming that it is bc of something I ate. Wondering if I should start over? The last few weeks aren't "lost" but I feel like as far as the elimination process and wanting to clear up my skin it's better if I do. I'll wait until tomorrow to see if maybe it's just being at work after 5 days off and driving up the mountain. 

I didn't do much this past weekend except remove an above stove microwave for Grandpa and do some walking (aka shopping).  I didn't open my laptop. Wasn't even ruled by my fitbit (forgot the charger at home. haha). Needless to say I'm ready to get back to my workouts. I'm going to make an appointment today for a free fitness evaluation (through my job). I think that will be another step to measure my progress. I promise not to look at the scale when I get weighed. 

I caught up on your posts this morning. You are all so very motivating. I love it! I'm going to cut out the coffee for the next 30 days and see how that makes me feel. Thank you Meadow. April - I can't believe you're from Michigan too. Small world. Espie - you're almost there. Awesome!

Back to work I go. Tonight I go to the grocery and meal prep for the rest of this week. I left what was left of my mayo down in Yuma.  :(

Have a great day all!

Meadow - another coincidence for you - I was playing that Ingrid Michaelson track in my car on the way home from collecting the feral child from his gymnastics training. In fact, when I first discovered her I played her Girls & Boys album on repeat for MONTHS on my iPod...!!

Roasted veggies rock. Fact.

In fact roasted veggies rock even more when you serve them with eggs over easy. Fact.

And when you add some slow cooked coconut & lime chicken into the mix...... <drool>

Three guesses what I just had for meal three  :lol:

Meadow

Ingrid is in

I like her too never heard that kiddo she's good

Copasinky coinkadink LCWIABD oldie but goodie

No food fight for me I'll watch

You are too young to remember animal house

I'm giving up coffee no floatations devices needed

My hubs gave it up ages ago

We were brought up on tea but that never agreed with me

LissFish good deeds all around with the grampa

I'm sure he appreciated your visit

Old folks need us to help pass the time

Laurie - good to see you posting - how are things going? How is Steve?

Dave - it sounds like you had a great memorial day - great work with all that fund raising.... I'm sure those veterans really appreciate it.

Good to see you back LIssFish & Kellie...

MeGa - are you of Italian descent?

Ah, I thought so just from some of the things you've been saying..... Whole30 is a big change for you then from your traditional fayre - even more well done on surviving the family gathering!!

Thank you

It's sure been a ride

Way back I cut pasta to once a week

You can make it so many ways it's hard to resist

W30 has changed my relationship with food

My once a week pasta ( I make it from scratch

Sometimes) I do miss yet I know it can be food without brakes

I've cooked healthier the last 15 years

They cooked heavier and my mom (87)

Still cooks so she's not going change but she

Loves my recipies I've taken from mil and her

There's no real recipies tho

We enjoyed legumes and greens etc

Our meals consist of Protien olive oil

Or butter vegs starch and a huge salad each night

I like variety so I probably don't make the same things more than 2x a month and it's always prepared in a different way

When I was a teen to mid 30s I only ate steak or chicken

A potato no fruit and I was like so thin

Whatever myself ends up at down the road

I'll accept so I'll level off but...

I can't wait to weigh in and put that Fitbit back on in June I must admit!

I lived in Greece for 8yrs and that's where I learned to cook, and learned to love food - before that I was a slave to the scale, and suffered from disordered eating...

I LOVE olive oil, and use it daily. And I was lucky to be taught some traditional Greek family recipes during my time there - I use a lot of those as my basis for whole30 as they're compliant for the most part & sometimes just need some tweaking - ie. skip the feta usually!! Like you say, a lot of it is grilled protein, with salad & fried veg - and the seafood...... I LOVE kalamari, octopus, whitebait, cuttlefish.... you name it!  :wub: 

Alrighty then.  We're comin' in hot on the home stretch.   I posted Melissa's coffee experience so I can remind myself of the cortisol boosting properties of coffee and what it does to the old 'BS' blood sugar and oh yeah, it increases belly blobs.   T eye izzzzz true.  Blame it on cortisol.  I'm not sucking that up, buttercups.

I will not embrace that.  I ain't going down with the Belly Blob Ship.  It is NOT the good ship lollypop.   That Belly Blob Ship is loaded to the gills with norovirus.  That ship is a real sinker and I say let that sucker sink to the bottom of the sea.   Noooo,  I ain't going down like that.

I'm not going to use the Belly Blob as a natural flotation device either.   I don't need no stinkin' innertube hanging around my middle waiting for the flood waters to rise.  Sorry, Houston...for all of your problems.  

Soooo,  I gave up coffee and within a few days, the Belly Blob started to go down.  Oooooo peoples. Giving up coffee is so hard for me to do.  I've given up many things and it was my last tiddly wink reward.   If you've been stuck for weeks and weeks like I was,  give that LILY LIVERED SAPSUCKER up.

Coffee is a sapsucker and it will suck the life out of your resolve as you make your way towards the finish line that does not exist.  There is no finish line with food management skills.

Me too! I'd been reading all your posts, and thinking about how re-addicted I'd become to coffee in such a short time, just about 6 weeks, after quitting in January (yes, 2015). I don't have all the personality-changing issues that were listed, but it definitely affects my BP big time, and I also am never hungry in the morning. So I stopped drinking caf coffee about 9 days ago, and all coffee about 4 days ago. I'm sure I will still have some decaf, especially when we go out for nice dinners, etc., but I need to treat it along the same lines as sugar - super addictive to me. Strangely, black tea doesn't have the same effect; whether that's the lower caf levels or something else that's in coffee, I'm sure you smart people will help me figure it out.

cleaner and cleaner. Like you say, there's no finish line.

Espie the caffeine AND the coffee would appear to effect cortisol levels wich is maybe why the black tea doesn't have the same effect.

I've just done my online food shopping order and have ditched my usual green caffeinated tea for a couple of caffeine free herbal options to see how I go with those.

Hoo-ah!   Howdy WD30'rs.    I have to run back into town for the folkaronies.

Drinking coffee causes excessive Cortisol.   Excessive Cortisol breaks down proteins into amino acids and converts them to glycogen in the liver.  Excessive production of Cortisol causes insulin resistance and contributes to the development of obesity.  Excessive production of Cortisol is an underlying cause of Cushing's Syndrome.

Excessive Cortisol caues insomnia and elevated Cortisol levels have been implicated as a possible cause of Migraines and elevated night-time Cortisol levels can interrupt entry into REM sleep.   Excessive Cortisol levels may be implicated in Seasonal Affective Disorder SAD.  

Excessive Cortisol inhibits the regeneration and repair of the skin and excessive Cortisol accelerates the aging process of the skin.   It impairs the healing of wounds.

Excessive Cortisol levels may cause edema.   Cortisol decreases the body's Glutamine levels and inhibits the release of HGH human growth hormone.

Excessive Cortisol is known medically as Hypercortisolemia.

Okey Dokey.    Elevated Cortisol causes belly fat and gives you a flotation device to wear while you're on the Belly Blob Ship.   That is all,  I gotta run.   

My doctor's office gave me this info from a medical journal.   Catch you on flip-flop.

Ah, so that's what Meadow was talking about in the posts. My poor system... so many years of abuse. Well, it's gettin' cleaned out now! I've had to search for herbals that don't have soy lecithin. Seriously, *why* would herbal tea companies put that crap in their teas?? It boggles the mind.

I really like this one: http://ourdailybrew.com/london-fruit-herb-co-blueberry-bliss.html

Jmcbn chicken and lime sounds delish

I don't use too many recipies

Do you think I could make it as chicken francaise

And sub the lime for the lemon?

I make it in the slow cooker but I'm sure you could do it easy enough with diced chicken, or chicken thighs on the stove top...

I stuff the inside of the chicken with lime & coriander, and add a good grind of himalayan pink salt & black peppercorns to the skin (& sometimes add some fresh ginger and chopped chillies, or ground ginger, cinnamon & dried chilli flakes - and usually some turmeric for it's healing properties), pour over a quarter to half a can of coconut milk & cook overnight - at least 8hrs. Then I de-bone & stick it in a tupperware to serve up with whatever veg I feel like that day - or use in a salad with home-made mayo.... I do one every week, mixing up the spices a bit, & never tire of it.

Ah, so that's what Meadow was talking about in the posts. My poor system... so many years of abuse. Well, it's gettin' cleaned out now! I've had to search for herbals that don't have soy lecithin. Seriously, *why* would herbal tea companies put that crap in their teas?? It boggles the mind.

I really like this one: http://ourdailybrew.com/london-fruit-herb-co-blueberry-bliss.html

That one looks good Espie - I've order a few varieties of Twinings, all herbal though rather than fruit as the ingredients lists looked dubious.

Just to add to Meadow's cortisol post that the older you get the longer it takes for your body to process the cortisol and lower it to a normal level. In a 25yr old this may take a few hours, a 75yr old may take a few days....!!! I believe most of us fall somewhere in between, but it's certainly food for thought  ;) 

Cortisol (also known as the stress hormone) will also be raised through fear, anxiety, stress and/or exercise - so follow up your stressful work meeting, or work out with a quick coffee and your system is in for a very hard time...

Hi Everybody-

Busy morning at home and then at work.  So I missed my morning post.  I went for a quick bike ride and did some cooking before work, then had a busy day.

Good news is Memorial Day was fine, no temptations to stray.  Had my family plus son-in-law's parents.  I got to ride during the day.  and had a pleasant evening chatting around the table.  Also started a batch of homemade sauerkraut fermenting.

M1 chicken with broccoli

M2 tuna on salad, cup of yellow squash soup

M3 burger, asparagus, roasted root veg, watermelon

All in all, energy up, cravings down,  emotions stable.  Yay W30!

more in the morning  *yawn*

xox

Coffee may cause the release of excessive amounts of adrenaline.   Coffee make cause heartburn by relaxing the lower esophageal sphincter :D  kickbutt.gif   and by increasing the body's production of hydrochloric acid.

Excessive consumption of coffee may increase blood pressure and could contribute to hypertension. coffee.gif

More than one cup per day may increase Interleukin 6 levels and C-Reactive Protein levels.

Back to Cortisol.  Elevated Cortisol levels impair the attention span.  Excessive production of Cortisol may cause euphoria but can be followed by depression.  Prolonged exposure to excessive levels of Cortisol may interfere with the ability of the hypothalamus to respond to negative feedback mechanism that permits it to reduce its secretion of Cortisol in response to higher than normal circulating Cortisol levels.  This is known as Hyperadaptosis.   Excessive Cortisol may damage the structure and interfere with functions of several regions of the brain associated with memory.

coffee2.gif

Even after all of that,  dizzy-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?12927937 I could drink a bathtub of it fryingpan.gif ......but I WILL NOT.   

I'm drinking it again

Coffee that is I said today was the day but it's not

I'm up with the birds at 3:59 am today's an early day here I'll try again tomorrow to give up one of the loves of my life ahh mmm coffee

Meadow got my first laugh of the day Thanks

My dads trying a shot to help his spine

Hope it helps he's not one to complain he's ok

So those poor people out west and south flooded

Awful! So sad some are hurt and lost tragic really

Those poor kiddos in the bounce house! Must have scared them so

That air mass is over us now Dew points have climbed but we need the rain

My son asked for pasta or rice so I'm going to make a baked ziti for them and chicken for me

That recipe sounds delish Jmcbn

I didn't realize it's been a few weeks!

Espie and Jmcbn I'm thinking might try black tea to start I need to eliminate the coffee Meadow

April family is so important we spent Monday like you did just enough

Well I'm off to the races I'll see you later

Hoo-ah!   Howdy WD30'rs.    I have to run back into town for the folkaronies.

Drinking coffee causes excessive Cortisol.   Excessive Cortisol breaks down proteins into amino acids and converts them to glycogen in the liver.  Excessive production of Cortisol causes insulin resistance and contributes to the development of obesity.  Excessive production of Cortisol is an underlying cause of Cushing's Syndrome.

Excessive Cortisol caues insomnia and elevated Cortisol levels have been implicated as a possible cause of Migraines and elevated night-time Cortisol levels can interrupt entry into REM sleep.   Excessive Cortisol levels may be implicated in Seasonal Affective Disorder SAD.  

Excessive Cortisol inhibits the regeneration and repair of the skin and excessive Cortisol accelerates the aging process of the skin.   It impairs the healing of wounds.

Excessive Cortisol levels may cause edema.   Cortisol decreases the body's Glutamine levels and inhibits the release of HGH human growth hormone.

Excessive Cortisol is known medically as Hypercortisolemia.

Okey Dokey.    Elevated Cortisol causes belly fat and gives you a flotation device to wear while you're on the Belly Blob Ship.   That is all,  I gotta run.   

My doctor's office gave me this info from a medical journal.   Catch you on flip-flop.

Morning All

MegaG, I am an early morning person too, always up at 5am, and for decades I have had my quiet time and coffee before (maybe) eating breakfast.

Thanks Meadow for posting the truth about coffee.  In addition to all the health benefits in giving it up, I am thinking about the $$$ I will save not by buying grounds, pods, or espresso.  Yep, 3 different coffee machines!  Well 4 if I count the French Press.

My first step has been to add breakfast.  BUT, my next true confession is that I am still having 2-3 cups of coffee before breakfast.  I did not know all the facts about the down side of coffee.  Although I used to suffer from anxiety which I figured out was caused or increased by coffee.  I have quit entirely in the past, by switching to half-caf, then decaf, then herbal tea.  OK, today is the day.  Here's my plan:  moderation in quantity at dinner= hungry in the morning= eating food instead of drinking coffee.  

jmcbn love your chicken recipe.  Do you put in a whole lime?

Espie I like what you said, "cleaner and cleaner, like Meadow said, 'there is no finish line.'"  

That concept was so helpful to me.  It changes everything to realize I will never retire from the need to be mindful in making healthy food choices.  What a lie to think, 'I'm cured.'  The addictive quality of sugar etc never changes.  Like the law of gravity, if I put it in me, eventually it will try to own me.  So I can be healed from the effects of bad food, but if I go back I will get the same results.  There is that definition of insanity: doing the same thing and expecting different results.

I have some major life stress coming up this week.  I am telling myself I know it will be tempting to justify compromise with food, but it won't improve the situation.  In fact it will probably add stress and make me less able to cope.  I am not going to plan to fail by failing to plan.  Bracing myself...

​On the upside, I planned a fun trip with my kids so I have something fun to look forward to in July, then I'm going home to Michigan to visit my Mom and Dad.  

Sometime life just hurts, and throwing food or alcohol at it is no cure.

xox

Archived